ADVERTISEMENT

Durkin to Alabama (consultant)

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
Former Maryland head coach D.J. Durkin, fired in October after a lengthy investigation into the death of one of his players, has resurfaced at Alabama.

In his first foray back into football since his October firing, Durkin has been helping Alabama this past week in a consultant-like capacity, sources told AL.com. It’s unclear at this point if Durkin could have a long-term role on Nick Saban’s Alabama staff though, according to sources.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...kin-helping-behind-the-scenes-at-alabama.html

Consultant ? What exactly does one do as a consultant at Bama.
They usually break down video of opponents weeks in advance and write up a summary so the coaches spend less time having to do that and more time game planning. I bet ol Butch has been watching Clemson and ND tape for the past 3 weeks non-stop.

We would have been crucified for this, give Mushcamp's comments, we could use a D Consultant, I never thought we would of missed Ellis Johnson, but I missed him this year.

Reactions: Judson1
I think any one of us has a better chance of getting a head coaching job than that Durkin boy, at least at the Power Five level.

That is probably true the next 3 to 5 years. But if he is smart, he can rehabilitate himself. This is a good start. Then assistant coach somewhere out of the limelight. Then jump to a Tulsa or Temple as HC. P5 is next 3/4ths of a decade from now.

That is probably true the next 3 to 5 years. But if he is smart, he can rehabilitate himself. This is a good start. Then assistant coach somewhere out of the limelight. Then jump to a Tulsa or Temple as HC. P5 is next 3/4ths of a decade from now.
In the current cultural climate, he is radioactive forever in the big-time, I believe.

Former Maryland head coach D.J. Durkin, fired in October after a lengthy investigation into the death of one of his players, has resurfaced at Alabama.

In his first foray back into football since his October firing, Durkin has been helping Alabama this past week in a consultant-like capacity, sources told AL.com. It’s unclear at this point if Durkin could have a long-term role on Nick Saban’s Alabama staff though, according to sources.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...kin-helping-behind-the-scenes-at-alabama.html

good for him, public knee jerk opinion screwed him just like lefty

good for him, public knee jerk opinion screwed him just like lefty

I don’t begrudge the man finding gainful employment. Good for him.

But he wasn’t “screwed”. Maryland held him accountable, albeit in a delayed fashion, for the death of a young man under his charge.

Accountability is not a bad thing.

Reactions: ddw1263
Nowadays morseso than ever, people have very short memories; I will venture to say even about something such as this.
If it has to do with somebody getting killed through negligence or any sort of sexual or drug scandal, there will be no rehabilitation compelling enough to get him another Power Five head job, maybe not even an FBS job. Think of the liability if someone else died on his watch. No one would want to take that on. There are too many coaches out there who don't carry that baggage.

If it has to do with somebody getting killed through negligence or any sort of sexual or drug scandal, there will be no rehabilitation compelling enough to get him another Power Five head job, maybe not even an FBS job. Think of the liability if someone else died on his watch. No one would want to take that on. There are too many coaches out there who don't carry that baggage.

I think you’re right. Just thinking practically, how would he ever be able to recruit again? Fair or not, are mamas really going to let their boys play for him again?

Reactions: king ward
I think you’re right. Just thinking practically, how would he ever be able to recruit again? Fair or not, are mamas really going to let their boys play for him again?

In his in-homes he will show how his new school has the best, most sophisticated heat trauma emergency responses of any school. How he didn't recognize the danger before, but because he is sensitized to it now, more than any other coach, he has demanded his school do yada, yada, yada. You really think mamas are going to choose the football school based on potential for heat stroke deaths? Coming from poor high schools that likely have no medical personnel or trainers at all at practices? He is radioactive hot right now, but that half life is very short, as are memories. He will coordinate as an assistant coach somewhere, be successful and get hired by someone (but a number of years out from now).

Reactions: rogue cock
I really see no problem with this. I think Durkin caught an extremely bad break with the death of a player and he was the face of the program so he had to pay the price. It's the media that made him out to be a killer. They'll show some righteous indignation over this hiring and then the guy will fly under the RADAR while at Bama. It's not like he'll be down on the field coaching LB's. He may never have a single conversation with any player. Credit Saban for having the balls to pull off the hire of such a qualified analyst.

I would think this gig can be a springboard for him to maybe catch on with an NFL team. The safeguards for health are certainly there at that level. He can rehab his career there until such time as people forget the name Durkin. Then he can probably coach at a mid-major. There may be a need for him to be a coord. first.

Obviously it isn't. I just don't think any "major" school will be able to give him the keys to a program.

Was Maryland a "major" school? It may be hard to get an Ohio State or Florida, but I could see a Rutgers, Arizona, Colorado, Northwestern, Temple or Tulsa. Maybe those aren't majors. He will have to rehabilitate a lot, but with time and success as a coordinator, he can overcome a death story as a terrible mistake that he has learned from.

That may end up being true, but the kid is far from the first player who has died at practice from heat-related issues. A google search will pull up a lot of them from high school to the pros. The death of Korey Stringer in 2001 from heatstroke during practice, led to having team physicians at all practices. Notice it wasn't the coach that was blamed, but the lack of team physicians. Stringer's death didn't hurt Dennis Green's career, but led to a change in how practices are conducted. In the Maryland case, you have to ask why the team physician or trainer didn't stop him from practicing much moreso than the coach.

That may end up being true, but the kid is far from the first player who has died at practice from heat-related issues. A google search will pull up a lot of them from high school to the pros. The death of Korey Stringer in 2001 from heatstroke during practice, led to having team physicians at all practices. Notice it wasn't the coach that was blamed, but the lack of team physicians. Stringer's death didn't hurt Dennis Green's career, but led to a change in how practices are conducted. In the Maryland case, you have to ask why the team physician or trainer didn't stop him from practicing much moreso than the coach.
Remember that sign on Harry Truman's desk?

You could say this was not a mark against his character, just poor judgement, with the player and the heat, though a tragedy. But he will be back because he is good enough. Now, again, look at Petrino and Eustachy. They made it back and the record shows they had some character problems. Unfortunately, those who are in charge of hiring, instead of giving unproven guys a chance, will continue to hire those who have won no matter what their previous problems were. And sometimes, those problems rise again. Look at Calapari. Major violations at UMass and Memphis, failure in the pro ranks, and now at the premeir program in the country. Go figure.

I think any one of us has a better chance of getting a head coaching job than that Durkin boy, at least at the Power Five level.
Why? Because the media vilified him after a horrific set of incidences led to a young man's death. When did America become so weak that the media sits on the great white throne of judgement? I applaud Nick Saban! I wish Muschamp would have hired him. The notion that DJ Durkin is responsible for that kids death is shamefully pathetic.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT