ADVERTISEMENT

East Carolina

I see no reason to schedule a game at ECU. We play Eastern Illinois 1st. Well let's play Western Illinois the 2nd game. But my understanding of the situation is this game at ECU was committed to several years ago.
The only reason I can think of is to stimulate recruiting in NC, example get some exposure in the Tar Heel State.

Lol….according to this thread, ECU will be national contenders by the time we play them. So everyone can keep fearing their coach, their stadium, and their 3 win American conference team. Personally, I expect we should go there, whip ass, then head home to get ready for the next game.

I swear I truly think there are posters on this board paid by our tater friends to doom and gloom 24/7. You gotta admit, it seems to be working over the past five years.

What do yall think about East Carolina? I think we struggle in the 1st half and it wouldnt surprise me if ECU took a early lead. I feel the running game will final wear them out in the 2nd half and USC gets out of there with a 28-20 win.
B’s bbq, best you’ll ever put in yer mouth!……..for decades the place has no phone!…….it was a pay phone out in the parking lot!
If u want the ribs better git there early & I mean early. At 4:55 I walked in and they’d sold the last rack…..did get taken on a nice tour……this was before the fire turned them into gas fired. A demotion from ‘Coupe😁

Reactions: heelzfor2
B’s bbq, best you’ll ever put in yer mouth!……..for decades the place has no phone!…….it was a pay phone out in the parking lot!
If u want the ribs better git there early & I mean early. At 4:55 I walked in and they’d sold the last rack…..did get taken on a nice tour……this was before the fire turned them into gas fired. A demotion from ‘Coupe😁
Was that 4:55 AM or PM? 😁

Lol….according to this thread, ECU will be national contenders by the time we play them. So everyone can keep fearing their coach, their stadium, and their 3 win American conference team. Personally, I expect we should go there, whip ass, then head home to get ready for the next game.

I swear I truly think there are posters on this board paid by our tater friends to doom and gloom 24/7. You gotta admit, it seems to be working over the past five years.
This team isnt very talented or deep. Got to say health, how about a score?

They won three games last year with an inferior schedule. Gamecocks win big. I say this with some trepidation because I remember about 20yrs ago they ruined a homecoming for us.

If we lose to ECU, it will be a Long year. If we cannot beat them, then we do not beat any SEC team outside of Vandy. So if we are already predicting scores, USC by 17.

Reactions: jeff2001
This team isnt very talented or deep. Got to say health, how about a score?

Jeff, your op was a good discussion topic. Plus we are in no position to take anyone lightly based on our past several years. My comments were more directed at some of the other posts which act like ECU is some major obstacle. I sat through the citadel game several years ago, I take no one lightly. But I expect to beat ECU by two TDs.

They won three games last year, so did we. I dare say our schedule was a little tougher playing 10 straight SEC games. If we played East Carolina 10 times I would expect to beat them all 10 times. That will never change in my mind.

We typically have more talent and play down to the competition in games like this. We allow teams to hang around and give them hope and if we win, it feels like we just escaped.

Last edited:
They won three games last year, so did we. I dare say our schedule was a little tougher playing 10 straight SEC games. If we played East Carolina 10 times I would expect to beat them all 10 times. That will never change in my mind.
You’d expect us to win 10 out of 10?!?! Man, you must get shocked a lot by SC losses if you think we’re winning 10 of 10. Nobody thinks ECU is good by any means. But we aren’t that good either. We have no secondary. We have a lot of questions on this team. Should we win? Probably. But anyone who thinks it’s a sure thing, or that we’d win 10 of 10 has to be the overly optimistic. So optimistic they’d think last year was a 3-win season instead of a 2-win season. 🤣

But I appreciate your positive outlook on things. I just wouldn’t confuse those on the other side, or even closer to reality as seeing ECU as a major obstacle.

It's idiocy to be playing them over there. I'd say that no matter how good we were.

Disagree here. The odds of us being in contention of anything next season are about zero. A game at ECU before we head to Athens the following week seems like a healthy progression. Playing in tough environments during the 1st Beamer season will hopefully pay dividends moving forward.

Disagree here. The odds of us being in contention of anything next season are about zero. A game at ECU before we head to Athens the following week seems like a healthy progression. Playing in tough environments during the 1st Beamer season will hopefully pay dividends moving forward.
That's one train of thought, I suppose. I'd rather do what I believe an Alabama would do than what an N.C. State would do and has done.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
What’s the big deal about playing them for an away game?
At this point if we need home field advantage against ECU- we should instead focus our energy on getting rid of key members of the athletic dept who can’t install a winning culture instead of even worrying about where we play ECU next. If that’s a problem Tanner abs the board has to go.

What’s the big deal about playing them for an away game?
At this point if we need home field advantage against ECU- we should instead focus our energy on getting rid of key members of the athletic dept who can’t install a winning culture instead of even worrying about where we play ECU next. If that’s a problem Tanner abs the board has to go.
There are 1000s of threads on Tanner.

It is absurd to play ECU on the road. Honestly it's absurd to play them at all. But, now that it's on the schedule, I'd like to make the trip up there, check another stadium off the list. I'll be interested to see what ticket prices are like. You can buy season tickets for $99

And I would have said the same thing about Appalachian State, and we're going up there also. I imagine we'll play a game in Conway eventually
I'm not surprised that a football game is scheduled in Boone per se, but I am surprised that we'd schedule an OOC road game in a stadium which seats but 30k (bet they'll find room to seat 40k when we get there, since they had 37k at a game with Wake Forest a few years ago).

If Coastal can at least double the capacity of Brooks Stadium to 40k+, then yeah, we may end up playing there eventually.

Regarding the series with ECU, here's a quote from a press release I found on gamecocksonline.com

June 15, 2007

South Carolina and East Carolina have agreed on a five-year series that features two games in Columbia (2012 and 2016), two games at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. (Sept. 3, 2011 and Aug. 30, 2014) and one game at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium in Greenville, N.C. (2015). Specific dates have not yet been finalized for the games outside of Charlotte. The Gamecocks and Pirates have met 15 times previously, all between 1977 and 1999, with South Carolina winning 10 of those contests.

Many of the games in the 5-year deal were adjusted, e.g., we ended up playing UnCarolina in Charlotte in 2015.

Historically, we've visited Greenville once for every 4-5 Pirate visits to Columbia, which, IMO, is appropriate given the status of the two programs.

Last edited:
812546016328__48091.1600979404.jpg

Reactions: atl-cock
It is absurd to play ECU on the road. Honestly it's absurd to play them at all. But, now that it's on the schedule, I'd like to make the trip up there, check another stadium off the list. I'll be interested to see what ticket prices are like. You can buy season tickets for $99

Can anyone name a fellow SEC member that has played anyone away like we are doing with ECU? I didn't think so. It's idiotic and must give ECU fans a false sense of worth because they have not been good in a long time playing very few tough teams.

But Ray steps in and does this. Hellsbells maybe it's a good thing if not for the away games. I will say this, though. We would be in their shoes had we not joined the SEC.

Can anyone name a fellow SEC member that has played anyone away like we are doing with ECU? I didn't think so. It's idiotic and must give ECU fans a false sense of worth because they have not been good in a long time playing very few tough teams.

But Ray steps in and does this. Hellsbells maybe it's a good thing if not for the away games. I will say this, though. We would be in their shoes had we not joined the SEC.
Vandy is playing at Colorado State for some reason. Mississippi State is going to Memphis as well this season. Ole Miss went to Memphis a couple years ago.

However, I agree with you. It's insane to schedule these kinds of games. Meanwhile, LSU schedules a game at UCLA.

Actually, this predates Ray. The 5-game contract with ECU was signed in 2007.

And historically speaking, USC football has played one game in Greenville for every 4-5 trips the Pirates make to Columbia. Which, IMO, given the athletic status of both programs, is about right. Remember, their stadium seats 51k.

The AAC is a proud G5 conference and, like all G5 conferences, stands on equal footing with P5 conferences. We should be nothing less than honored to play there.

That's one train of thought, I suppose. I'd rather do what I believe an Alabama would do than what an N.C. State would do and has done.
It's as if you talk (text) just for the pure sake of talking. Like you "have" to post a reply, even when you do not really have anything meaningful to say. Give it a rest once in awhile, your schtick is old and tired.

I think you're misinterpreting people thinking Carolina will have a dysmal year for proclaiming ECU to be great.

I agree with you...we SHOULD show up and whip ass 10 years out of 10. But...this is the year out of the last 40 or 50 that I wouldn't want to go anywhere trying to get a guaranteed win.

Also- reacting to decisions made, and watching a product on the field and feeling lousy about it isn't doom and gloom. The doom and gloom is done by the administration, coaches and programs overall upfront. Fans/concerned parties just react. It's hard to say USC fans aren't committed. I personally think we need more stringent demands from donors, alumni and general fans to get where we can be consistently competitive in SEC football play.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We seemed soft (among other things) under Muschamp. The path of least resistance and trying to scratch out 6 wins on the backs of non-conference opponents did us no good.

We need thicker skin, more resilience. Playing at ECU in Year 1 helps this process. If it costs us a trip to the Belk Bowl - we shouldn't have been playing in a bowl. Set our sights set on more following this transition season.

Last edited:
I think you're misinterpreting people thinking Carolina will have a dysmal year for proclaiming ECU to be great.

I agree with you...we SHOULD show up and whip ass 10 years out of 10. But...this is the year out of the last 40 or 50 that I wouldn't want to go anywhere trying to get a guaranteed win.

Also- reacting to decisions made, and watching a product on the field and feeling lousy about it isn't doom and gloom. The doom and gloom is done by the administration, coaches and programs overall upfront. Fans/concerned parties just react. It's hard to say USC fans aren't committed. I personally think we need more stringent demands from donors, alumni and general fans to get where we can be consistently competitive in SEC football play.

I agree we have been lousy for several years now, and not great but a few. I looked at ECUs schedule last year, then looked at ours.......our 3 wins trumps theirs.

I take no team for granted, but if going to ECU to play a game worries people about our scheduling, you better worry more about arse whippings from the SEC and taters. You can't become good again by fearing teams like ECU. I say you take that perceived trap game, and go take care of business. That builds confidence. Would you prefer they beat us at home?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT