ADVERTISEMENT

Eclipse

More than likely, my office on the 17th Floor of the Bank of America Plaza on Main.
I have read that it's best to be in a place where you can see the horizon really good. When totality gets here, you can see a reddish orange glow, or ring, that will be just above the horizon, but higher up it just becomes black, where you can see the brighter stars and maybe even a planet or two.

Am old enough to remember the last total eclipse in SC. Was in Florence at my parent's house and we watched it through exposed 35 mm film. At totality the view of the sun's corona is impressive. I can't remember the exact year but was early 70's.

That wasn't a total eclipse, just partial.

Our building/firm has blocked both the rooftop deck and the top deck of the parking garage here on Main Street. Not sure where I'll end up, but thinking the state house or an area close by/walking distance that is relatively open.

People travel around the world to get to totality. They charter flights to follow the path. You may be underestimating. You normally see it get dark in a 6 hour time span. This will happen in about 2, including a sudden shift to darkness during totality. The temperature will plunge. Animals will notice and behave differently. You can see shadow bands, Bailey Beads, the diamond ring, a 360 degree sunset! If you're not stoked for the chance to see this, you haven't done your reading.
Some people are angry and triggered when anyone gets excited about anything.

Good Lord. Mark Cuban docked his yacht in Charleston this weekend. He's here for the big event.

Cuban does not own a yacht, its the Sears CEO

He is doing much better then Sears apparently

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_df9e48e6-844e-11e7-b190-9feb046fafb0.html

Who knows their is a connection

The deal between Sears CEO Eddie Lampert and Mark Cuban
JULY 10TH, 2016

“Shark Tank” investor Mark Cuban apparently doesn’t think yachts are worth the investment, but he’s open to renting.

He celebrated the July 4th holiday moored off the Hamptons in a 288-foot megayacht owned by Eddie Lampert, the chairman and CEO of Chicago-based Sears Holdings.

“The guy who owns the boat tells everyone that it’s mine,” Cuban says in the New York Post. “It’s so crazy . . . I don’t even own a boat.”

A spokesman from Sears didn’t immediately return my call.

The grand yacht reportedly has a basketball court on board, so no wonder Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks might like to borrow it. (He’s been seen on it before.)

The yacht, named Fountainhead, is featured in a photo spread by photographer Peter Seyferth, who identifies the vessel as Lampert’s.

Tags: Eddie Lampert, Mark Cuban, Sears, yachts

I have read that it's best to be in a place where you can see the horizon really good. When totality gets here, you can see a reddish orange glow, or ring, that will be just above the horizon, but higher up it just becomes black, where you can see the brighter stars and maybe even a planet or two.
I'm going to get some pics/video of the shadow crossing the landscape, looking out toward the Lake from our breakroom. They are doing some big to-do on the Plaza patio, but I don't do crowds well.

Supposedly there is going to be another one in like 7 years. So that whole once in a life time thing is only for people who are running out of time.......

Supposedly there is going to be another one in like 7 years. So that whole once in a life time thing is only for people who are running out of time.......
Oh they happen all the time. It's just a matter of how much of it you actually get to experience. I remember there was a partial in Charleston a couple years ago, but it was total in South America or some such place.

Cuban does not own a yacht, its the Sears CEO

He is doing much better then Sears apparently

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/...cle_df9e48e6-844e-11e7-b190-9feb046fafb0.html

Who knows their is a connection

The deal between Sears CEO Eddie Lampert and Mark Cuban
JULY 10TH, 2016

“Shark Tank” investor Mark Cuban apparently doesn’t think yachts are worth the investment, but he’s open to renting.

He celebrated the July 4th holiday moored off the Hamptons in a 288-foot megayacht owned by Eddie Lampert, the chairman and CEO of Chicago-based Sears Holdings.

“The guy who owns the boat tells everyone that it’s mine,” Cuban says in the New York Post. “It’s so crazy . . . I don’t even own a boat.”

A spokesman from Sears didn’t immediately return my call.

The grand yacht reportedly has a basketball court on board, so no wonder Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks might like to borrow it. (He’s been seen on it before.)

The yacht, named Fountainhead, is featured in a photo spread by photographer Peter Seyferth, who identifies the vessel as Lampert’s.

Tags: Eddie Lampert, Mark Cuban, Sears, yachts
I hope he has a vehicle or that yacht has wheels. Looks like poor viewing in Charleston.

99.9% coverage is still daylight. Totally different when in a total eclipse.

If it ain't total, it ain't worthwhile. Only totality moves the relevance needle. I was in a 99% zone today. It got a little dark and the temperature dropped some. The crickets started chirping. Outside of that, it was a big nothing.

If it ain't total, it ain't worthwhile. Only totality moves the relevance needle. I was in a 99% zone today. It got a little dark and the temperature dropped some. The crickets started chirping. Outside of that, it was a big nothing.

I was at 99% as well and was very impressed. My backyard was totally dark in places and very dimly-lit in others. Cicadas went wild, as did the dogs and rooster down the street. Vapor lights came on as did neighbors' solar lights.

I will take it.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Coppertopp
I watched my bees all come home minutes before totality. They stayed in the hives for about 30 minutes before they came out again. It got dark enough to mess with them.
The birds stopped visiting my feeders an hour or so before totality, but just about as soon as the sun started coming back out, the birds came back with a vengeance!

The eclipse DID NOT disappoint as far I am concerned, it was INCREDIBLE!! Darkness in the midldle of the afternoon is something you don't see but.... well.... once in a lifetime!

Btw ya'll, I have a couple pairs of very lightly used solar eclipse glasses for sale really cheap. Just send me a PM if you are interested in them. :p

I was in a 98.2% zone and I can tell you it was no big deal. It didn't even get dusk dark. I wish now I had driven to Greenville to see totality. I now know it would have been worth the trip.

I watched the eclipse without glasses, i dont know what the big deal is
shopping

I was at 99% as well and was very impressed. My backyard was totally dark in places and very dimly-lit in others. Cicadas went wild, as did the dogs and rooster down the street. Vapor lights came on as did neighbors' solar lights.

I will take it.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!
You are a "glass is half full" kind of person, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reactions: chick75
the eclipse was spectacular...worth all the hype and the wait...i watched the whole thing without any special glasses and my eyes are just fine...In fact i seem to be seeing a little better today..My only disappointment is all the werewolf rumors proved false..I bought all those silver bullets for nothing;):):rolleyes:

the eclipse was spectacular...worth all the hype and the wait...i watched the whole thing without any special glasses and my eyes are just fine...In fact i seem to be seeing a little better today..My only disappointment is all the werewolf rumors proved false..I bought all those silver bullets for nothing;):):rolleyes:
We saw several werewolves in Rock Hill, the are actually quite tasty.. Werewolf Jerky is amazing.
eb50a8989ce2a7da924dcacdaf56f259.jpg

Saw it on Lake Murray and it was an awesome experience. Wasn't sure it would live up to the hype and didn't really understand people traveling so far but now I do and would definitely want to see another one

Watched it in gravity chairs on the back deck with the wife. Local radio station played uninterrupted Pink Floyd nearly the entire time. The music really put the cool factor in it for us.
Somewhat cloudy but it never blocked the view. Thunder and lightning from a storm we were on the edge of, coupled with the eclipse itself was an awesome sight. Lightning seem to intensify at the time of the full eclipse. Words can not express.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT