ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Foglers coaching search firm is a joke

Agreed. Stealing money. Bet Oklahoma state isn't impressed either.

That's the job I want. Media and fans already have a list and do your job before you ever get started

Yeah why would ever want Dawn Staley or Frank Martin as coaches here. Should have never used Eddie to find those bums.
Honestly, Eddie Fogler once made a comment that it'd basically be an every 3 or 4 year deal at USC in getting to the men's bb playoffs. Hate to say it, but Eddie was/is right. We gotta "build up" before we can expect anything better. Just stating a fact there, that's all.

Reactions: uscdoug
Thank God Tanner isn't using him during the search. Fogler gave us a couple of good years and heart breakers to boot. Other than that I don't want him involved with USC in any wY shape or form. Wasn't his firm the one that gave us Dave Odom and Darrin Horne? It seems he has a beef with USC
He was not involved in the Odom hire

Agreed. Stealing money. Bet Oklahoma state isn't impressed either.

That's the job I want. Media and fans already have a list and do your job before you ever get started
Yes Oklahoma State was so unhappy that Brad Underwood took a team that was a year before 12-20 to the NCAA. So unhappy that when Underwood left for Illinois that they consulted with Eddie again in the hire of Boynton. Hey, but don't let facts get in the way of chatboard stupidity run amok

Yes Oklahoma State was so unhappy that Brad Underwood took a team that was a year before 12-20 to the NCAA. So unhappy that when Underwood left for Illinois that they consulted with Eddie again in the hire of Boynton. Hey, but don't let facts get in the way of chatboard stupidity run amok

You're twisting the "facts". I was not talking about the Underwood hire at Oklahoma State, I was referring to paying the Fogler crew $15,000 to suggest one of the guys sitting next to Underwood.

You think that's a good deal?

You're twisting the "facts". I was not talking about the Underwood hire at Oklahoma State, I was referring to paying the Fogler crew $15,000 to suggest one of the guys sitting next to Underwood.

Fogler was consulted on the Underwood hire and they were happy with that choice. Why wouldn't they use him again? Also 15,000 is a very cheap price to get an outside guy to give you an evaluation of in house candidate you are looking to hire. Wonder what advice an outsider might have given Ray before hiring Chad?

You may want to ask the Oklahoma State fans how satisfied they were with Underwood. I like Underwood but I don't know if he ever unpacked his suitcase....I don't think I'd be too overly excited about a coach that stayed one whole season

Thank God Tanner isn't using him during the search. Fogler gave us a couple of good years and heart breakers to boot. Other than that I don't want him involved with USC in any wY shape or form. Wasn't his firm the one that gave us Dave Odom and Darrin Horne? It seems he has a beef with USC
You are only half right. He also helped us get Frank Martin and Dawn Staley. Why would you think he has a beef with USC? Because he was right and told the truth about realistic expectations about USC hoops? What other coach in our history got us to the post season 50% of the time?

Facts:
Recommended the following:
Brian Gregory (fired at GT)
Tony Barbee (fired at Auburn)
Tom Crean (fired at Indiana)
Frank Martin at K State (good call)
Underwood (left after 1 season)
Boynton (?)

For what it's worth I like Fogler and think he's one of the better coaches we had. Wished he had not got burned out. And I do agree with you that 15k is chump change for a major university.

Just don't think I could call this consulting great by any means. I could go through every single hire but I think you get the point

You are only half right. He also helped us get Frank Martin and Dawn Staley. Why would you think he has a beef with USC? Because he was right and told the truth about realistic expectations about USC hoops? What other coach in our history got us to the post season 50% of the time?

Are you saying Fogler got us to the playoffs 50% of the time?

Facts:
Recommended the following:
Brian Gregory (fired at GT)
Tony Barbee (fired at Auburn)
Tom Crean (fired at Indiana)
Frank Martin at K State (good call)
Underwood (left after 1 season)
Boynton (?)

For what it's worth I like Fogler and think he's one of the better coaches we had. Wished he had not got burned out. And I do agree with you that 15k is chump change for a major university.

Just don't think I could call this consulting great by any means. I could go through every single hire but I think you get the point

Also
Dawn Staley USC
Frank Martin USC
John Beilein Michigan
Bryce Drew Vanderbilt

My fantasy job is the head football coach at Clemson. Burn the program to the ground so it would take years to recover, take the 10 million dollar buy-out then go onto ESPN gameday :D

Reactions: Silverspur02
You may want to ask the Oklahoma State fans how satisfied they were with Underwood. I like Underwood but I don't know if he ever unpacked his suitcase....I don't think I'd be too overly excited about a coach that stayed one whole season
He left for a much larger salary.

Reactions: JamesRob
Why would Ray hire a consulting firm to do what he knows more about than anybody?

Reactions: Gamecock 38

Do you know what a coaching search firm does?

I mean, I don't. But do you? I'm guessing people don't get paid $15k to make simple suggestions or else why wouldn't everybody just do it. My guess is you're paying them for information/expertise/connections the average person doesn't have, and also for all the time they have to invest in whatever tasks are involved.

Honestly, Eddie Fogler once made a comment that it'd basically be an every 3 or 4 year deal at USC in getting to the men's bb playoffs. Hate to say it, but Eddie was/is right. We gotta "build up" before we can expect anything better. Just stating a fact there, that's all.
He said that while coach at USC. He believed that no one - his self included - could make USC a consistent winner. I remember those days. I also remember Richmond and Coppin State loses.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty

I mean, I don't. But do you? I'm guessing people don't get paid $15k to make simple suggestions or else why wouldn't everybody just do it. My guess is you're paying them for information/expertise/connections the average person doesn't have, and also for all the time they have to invest in whatever tasks are involved.
Back ground checks, confirming resumes, looking for skeletons in the closet, things that could embarrass a school with a new hire (think George O'Leary at Notre Dame). They also can contact coaches/agents about a parties interest which allows AD's to say "we have had no contact with ...."

Reactions: coolcock2001
Yet he himself went twice in a row, did he not? I will say this, with our current approach to recruiting, it isn't likely we will go more than once or twice every five years. Under other circumstances...:cool: I mean, when viewed by recruits, how was Fogler's comment any less detrimental to the program than Spurrier's "one or two more years" remark? In both cases, these men blew themselves and the program up.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty

Foglerconsulting.com it's all there

Also
Dawn Staley USC
Frank Martin USC
John Beilein Michigan
Bryce Drew Vanderbilt

Great hires (9)

Frank Martin at K state, SC

Beilein at Michigan

Staley at USC

Mike Anderson at Arky

Willis Wilson Corpus Christi

Underwood at SFA, OSU

Beard at Little Rock (30-5 but left after one season and obviously inherited a loaded group)

Good Hires (3)

Medved at Furman

Skeery at Towson

McClain at Illinois Chicago

Mediocre hires (5)

Cooper at Tenn State

Donahue at Penn

Smith at S Dakota

Moser at Loyola

Tubby at Texas Tech

About to get fired (3)

Jim Christian Boston College

Cooper at Miami Ohio

Pat Chambers Penn State

Already fired (8)

Horn at SC

Giacolletta at Drake

Gregory at GT

Eddie Jordan at Rutgers

Barbee at Auburn

Buzz at Wilmington

Crean at Indiana

Moore at Illinois Chicago

Gets its own category (1)

Donnie Tyndall at Southern Miss--great record & NCAA violations

As far as a couple could moments about Fogler having a grudge against USC. Don't think he has anything against USC. Pretty sure he is still grinding the axe about Mike McGee though. They didn't have the best of relationships.

Even though I think the consulting is a joke (50/50 results at best and isn't hiring coaches what an AD should be able to do) I have a lot of respect for Fogler as a coach. I'd call him top 3 in our program history behind the guys named Frank. He had plenty of success at Vandy & Wichita and as an assistant at UNC.

Fogler had no problems taking shots at Mike McGee and I agree with @midline he has no ax to grind w USC. He also called out Billy Donovan about questionable recruiting practices and in general didn't take crap off anyone. He lives in Columbia, has recommended some good coaches to USC (Horn excluded but that was a really bad one) and has been a pretty good ambassador for the university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT