ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing 30-0 defeat to the Taters

Snake006

Aug 7, 2007
Still hard to digest. We have to be competitive against those Goons.

They didn't follow other team's screw-ups like Auburn. They just lined up and ran it down our throats. If Auburn would have just run Tank B. all night we get blown out in that game.

As a clemson fan, not going to lie this may have been one of the more surprising results in the history of the rivalry in the last 10 years. I think it is to the point that a lot has become mental, like it was when USC went on their 5 year run.

With the changes in coaching staffs, it will be interesting to see how that changes things. Noticed someone said something about Venables. I was hesitant about Goodwin at first, more because of recruiting. However, I thought he called a really good bowl game and then he has brought in arguably the best defensive recruiting haul in the country this year, especially on the DL. Only time will tell though!

I’ll admit I was not for Shane, mainly because we are a program deserving of an experienced HBC. That said, he has done some great things, and giving UNC a beating to end the year was some great momentum. Not to mention, (he and we) are arguably the hottest topic in CFB right now because of his work, so that’s a huge plus. Still, that Tater game was inexplicable. I can only chalk it up to several games in this series where whether they were good or bad, Clemson played like it was the Super Bowl, and we didn’t even show up. I will never understand that, but it has happened so many times if you changed those games to Gamecock wins, this rivalry would be neck & neck

Reactions: TAV31
I do believe that Clemson has always seem to carry more intensity into that game than we have.

I've heard the "they played the game of their lives" excuse about a dozen too many times. Even uttered it myself once or twice.

But as the above poster said, it has happened "so many times". Well, after the second or third time, much less the 20th, maybe there's a different explanation.

I’m sure there is a different explanation, I’m just not sure what it is. More serious about football or I should say beating us in football is definitely part of it, and many times, they just had better players. Most CU fans won’t admit it, but we had mostly better players from 2009-13. Definitely better from 11-13, despite several claims they beat themselves and if they didn’t have turnovers. We created numerous turnovers those years vs. all teams. Spurrier was right about what it took to beat them. Win consistently in the SEC, and you don’t need posters and clocks about 1 game. And SC isn’t cursed, they just need great players, just like everyone else.

One thing not mentioned here already was that they were mad about not being able to play the game the year before, and vowed to take out their frustrations the next time the two teams played.

Reactions: griffgolf
One thing not mentioned here already was that they were mad about not being able to play the game the year before, and vowed to take out their frustrations the next time the two teams played.
Why where they mad? No one knew how that season would end. Plus didn’t they miss a game or two that year within their own conference. But no doubt. I’m sure the taters whined.

Why where they mad? No one knew how that season would end. Plus didn’t they miss a game or two that year within their own conference. But no doubt. I’m sure the taters whined.
They didn’t play one game. Florida St. backed out at the last second

They didn’t play one game. Florida St. backed out at the last second

True. I forgot about that.

To the point though, I just cringe when I see things like "they were mad". Imho, that sort of motivation lasts for a play or two. After that, it's squarely on the players and coaches in the game.

Last edited:
True. I forgot about that.

To the point though, I just cringe when I see things like "they were mad". Imho, that sort of motivation lasts for a play or two. After that, it's squarely on the players and coaches in the game.
Yeah. The they were mad didn’t factor imo. It was more about more talent and good game plan. Gotta close the talent gap

Most of their games were blowouts and they played many many players, both developing depth and lessening injuries to starters. In our league, you never get a breather. Even Vandy is physical and plays hard.

Most of their games were blowouts and they played many many players, both developing depth and lessening injuries to starters. In our league, you never get a breather. Even Vandy is physical and plays hard.

Where most recent years this was true, I remember them struggling last year, so I looked it up. Most of their games were not blowouts.

They did end the year with 3, wake, uconn and SC.

And I think they finally got their share of injuries too. I remember talk of their walk on coach's son being a starting wr by the end of the year due to the number of injuries.

Last edited:
Taters have out recruited, out coached, and done a much better job getting their kids to play at a higher level than we have done for many years. I do think our new staff can get us in the College football conversation fairly soon. Which is something that's been absent for quite awhile.

I do believe that Clemson has always seem to carry more intensity into that game than we have.

Clemson has typically been the better team as well. I mean that's pretty obvious.

In many years, Clemson also seemed to have the better QB - maybe not a lot better- but better.

The team with the better QB typically wins that game. Of course that's not to suggest Clemson didn't have better players at other positions too.

Clemson's defense looks to be incredibly strong this year. A lot of VERY good teams will have trouble scoring on that defense. I don't like admitting that but it's just obvious. They have tons of talent on that side of the ball and it's quite deep.

Speaking of taters. Is it coincidental that 2 of their players are on nfl suspension for the same things they did in college butt denied.

Speaking of taters. Is it coincidental that 2 of their players are on nfl suspension for the same things they did in college butt denied.

It's that crazy. Also funny how they are the only ones that use ostarine laced shampoo by accident. Guess other folks don't wash their hair.

Beamer really needs one in the win column either this year or next at home. It's not fair, but the losing streak amassed remains a hangover from the prior staff which could negatively impact Beamer's tenure if it were to continue byeond 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT