ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing

JMO this will be handled differently. Doubt boosters belly up to the bar for Frank. His contract will not be extended, sending a strong message to him. So I am more of the opinion he walks first.
His buyout is still north of $10 million. I for one would not want to see us give him that money.

I agree. But I wouldn't rule out anything. The biggest thing he has going for him is that the basketball program isn't the breadwinner in the family, so there is less urgency to do something. Also, we just forked over a ton of money to Chump, so doing that again seems very unlikely.

In the Gamecock jungle this year, Chump was the slowest antelope, so Frank will likely survive. The lions can't eat that much.

I agree. But I wouldn't rule out anything. The biggest thing he has going for him is that the basketball program isn't the breadwinner in the family, so there is less urgency to do something. Also, we just forked over a ton of money to Chump, so doing that again seems very unlikely.

In the Gamecock jungle this year, Chump was the slowest antelope, so Frank will likely survive. The lions can't eat that much.

Good analogy.

JMO this will be handled differently. Doubt boosters belly up to the bar for Frank. His contract will not be extended, sending a strong message to him. So I am more of the opinion he walks first.
His buyout is still north of $10 million. I for one would not want to see us give him that money.
It's possible that we could offer to extend a year, but with no -- or very minimal -- additional buyout.

Didn't we do something like that with Dave Odom?

It's possible that we could offer to extend a year, but with no -- or very minimal -- additional buyout.

Didn't we do something like that with Dave Odom?
But why bother? That’s pretty close to the ultimate “no-confidence” vote. If you aren’t willing to extend your coach’s contract, it’s time to see about moving on.

But why bother? That’s pretty close to the ultimate “no-confidence” vote. If you aren’t willing to extend your coach’s contract, it’s time to see about moving on.
Oh I agree that it's time to move on. But this move might show an olive branch on our part, when it's actually the move that might nudge him out the door towards New Mexico. Then we are owed his buyout instead of the other way around. Just a thought.

For any of you who have played in any organized sports HS level or higher, you can see when the other team has checked out.
You can list a whole host of reasons, but this group has all the symptoms of team that has just checked out/ given up/ going through the motions, or whatever other euphemism you care to use.
It's sad to watch.
They're like any team is with a lame duck coaching staff. Like the FB team was in Lou's last season. Once you know there's no path to success, you stop being a team player and start looking out for #1 and trying to not get injured. Just going through the motions.

No, he can choose to donate it wherever the hell he wants. St Jude's, local animal shelter or to nothing, that's the beauty of freedom. Universities/Athletic Depts make decisions and supporters can make choices based on those decisions.
True. I did consider other "charities" as I was composing my post. /cause sort of addressed it.

Take a chill pill. Season's over

Edit: I see there's a trip to Rupp Arena left. Yikes

For any of you who have played in any organized sports HS level or higher, you can see when the other team has checked out.
You can list a whole host of reasons, but this group has all the symptoms of team that has just checked out/ given up/ going through the motions, or whatever other euphemism you care to use.
It's sad to watch.
Free pass per Heath. He said this is difficult because there's a compelling reasons to keep and compelling reasons to get rid of Frank yet he only addresses reasons to keep him. He avoids the compelling reasons to move on from Frank.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Free pass per Heath. He said this is difficult because there's a compelling reasons to keep and compelling reasons to get rid of Frank yet he only addresses reasons to keep him. He avoids the compelling reasons to move on from Frank.
To me, that's an indication that the Flagship has not been told it's OK to openly criticize Martin yet.

Reality is that Frank's coming back next year. They aren't going to fire a coach who coached through 2 separate personal bouts with Covid (not saying it's a good rationale, but it's just reality). It will be nearly impossible to not be better next year than we have been this year, so we'll be told that progress is being made and Frank will come back for the '22-'23 season. Maybe after that we'll see some change. If you figure at least 2 more seasons with Frank and then a couple seasons for a new coach to get things turned around, men's basketball won't have a shot at being good for the next 4 seasons.

It's sad to watch.
I agree, and it’s an even bigger deal since checking out is the one thing a Frank Martin team is not expected to do.

Reality is that Frank's coming back next year. They aren't going to fire a coach who coached through 2 separate personal bouts with Covid (not saying it's a good rationale, but it's just reality). It will be nearly impossible to not be better next year than we have been this year, so we'll be told that progress is being made and Frank will come back for the '22-'23 season. Maybe after that we'll see some change. If you figure at least 2 more seasons with Frank and then a couple seasons for a new coach to get things turned around, men's basketball won't have a shot at being good for the next 4 seasons.
I am not sure we need to fire him. He'll start looking if we don't extend his contract.

I am telling you, he's likely headed to New Mexico. Job security. The AD played for Frank in high school. Semi retirement. He only has two years left on his contract. Hoping we don't extend. Who is going to flinch first? He is either going to leave or we extend. I don't think he'll stay with the current contract.
For the life of me I cannot understand why any school would hire a coach from a program that won 6 games. Even if he has connections with the AD.

There is now way this roster makes the tourney next year. And no difference makers coming in recruiting. So that begs the question....why would you not mind giving him one more year? How many more years does Frank need to prove that, outside of a three week hot stretch years ago, he isn't going to raise the level of the program. But by saying that you could stomach another year you do show just how apathy has totally consumed USC basketball. It has gotten to the point that nobody cares. Covid has saved the embarrassment of a mostly empty arena this year. If Frank is still here next year, the administration would be wise to rent out a church gym for games. Would save a lot of money and probably be more than capable of accommodating the crowd
And the concession line would be real short

We will extend his contract. He literally will be here until he doesn't want to be. Tanner said pretty much today.

We will extend his contract. He literally will be here until he doesn't want to be. Tanner said pretty much today.
Ray was very supportive of BOOM! about 3 games before he was fired. It's coach speak. I'm not saying Frank will definitely be fired. Just that Ray's words of support don't mean very much.

Last edited:
Ray was very supportive of BOOM! about 3 games before he was fired. It's coach speak. I'm not saying Frank will definitely be fired. Just that Ry's words of support don't mean very much.
Technically, we still have 2 more games (UK and the SECT) but the basketball season is over. Frank is not going anywhere unless he leaves on his own. (my opinion only)

Gregg Marshall is available. His problems were way back in 2020, so according to the Freeze Doctrine, I think enough time has passed to consider him.

I'm pretty sure (no inside info) Frank is not leaving. He will spend the off-season getting healthy and come back and give it one more run. A lot depends on whether Lawson turns pro or decides to come back.

You can't play zone defense against a good shooting team like Arkansas. We've got to find a way to play better defense.
The team next year seems to be doomed, regardless of who coaches them. IMO this team is very athletic but their basketball iq, skill or whatever is limited. I don’t see any way Lawson comes back unless he declares for the draft but then has an out because of lack of interest from the pros. Even in that event he might go to Europe.

Gregg Marshall is available. His problems were way back in 2020, so according to the Freeze Doctrine, I think enough time has passed to consider him.

Does not seem like a hire Ray Tanner would ever make, Marshall does not seem like someone who would come across as a potential buddy/friend to with him in a interview.

Man I like that LOLOLO “slowest antelope” LOLOL good analogy

Similar to football, we have some talent at some spots but we lack enough overall talent. Offensive basketball is about shooting and passing. I'd barely give us a passing grade on either of those.

heath is FULL OF CHIT....not one good reason to keep FM

4 of the last 5 seasons prior to this, they won double digit SEC games. Between 98 and 2015 the program had exactly one winning SEC season. Is it really that crazy to think that the guy who had the most sustained success the program has had in the SEC prior to this unique disaster of a year might be worth giving a normal one to judge him on before concluding he’s toast? You sure a guy like Cousinard is a 30% shooter next season as opposed to what he was expected to be coming off last year? Is there a chance, unlike this year, that recruits coming in actually help? Maybe next year will be just as bad. If so, he’d obviously be gone. Are you sure there’s someone you’ll get this year that’s definitely going to be better you’ll miss out on if you wait and see? I get why people are frustrated, because this season’s been horrid, but making moves out of emotion can backfire.

One more thing: no one tells any of us what to say. If I thought firing Frank was definitely the right move, I’d say so. As soon as Texas A&M happened, I said on air I didn’t see how Muschamp could recover from it. After Ole Miss, on Twitter, I said under normal circumstances that would be the firing but we’d have to see if the pandemic impact would cause things to be different. I‘m not even sure who people think would be giving us permission to be critical, but I can assure you no one does. Are we going to be as quick to want to fire guys as some of you? Of course not. But whether you agree with any of us or not, no one‘s giving us marching orders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT