ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is still projecting us in a bowl!?!

Just speculation on my part, it's in the contract. IE the bowl is obligated to invite an SEC team if one is bowl eligible. Since everyone is bowl eligible...

Have to wonder why they don't cancel the bowl. Suspect that is a TV money issue.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Don’t most teams lose money when they go to bowl games? Even in normal years? I have a feeling teams are going to have a difficult time getting enough players to play the games. They’ll have to go the 7 on 7 route.

Don’t most teams lose money when they go to bowl games? Even in normal years? I have a feeling teams are going to have a difficult time getting enough players to play the games. They’ll have to go the 7 on 7 route.
I live in MN now, and for small schools, our high school league has 9-man football.

Some of the bowl committees might want to contact the Minnesota State High School League for the rules... :p

I think the novelty of lower tier and mid-tier bowls has fully worn off - for both fans and players. Even our teams better bowl appearances (mid-tier) like Outback were met with yawns by a lot of fans. Now that more and more players are opting out of bowls, I just don’t see the current bowl setup as sustainable. The only thing that makes it survive is the deep pocket connections between conferences and and the bowl committees. I wonder if 2020 and Covid will give everyone second thoughts going forward.

Reactions: B.Springs Cock
If the new coach coaches the bowl game. I'm ok with going. Everybody is eligible to play in a bowl game this year.. everybody

Reactions: 92Pony
If the new coach coaches the bowl game. I'm ok with going. Everybody is eligible to play in a bowl game this year.. everybody
Yep, if we have a new coach in place, and there’s nothing precluding him from coaching, let him get his feet wet with the 15(?) practices and bowl game. Let’s take advantage of it and make the most of what we can!

That's the ONLY scenario where I could see a bowl game being remotely worthwhile. Even then, it would be of highly limited value, given that the new coach would be coaching with the soon-to-be former coaching staff.

Has it ever been done where a new coach, not interim, coached the bowl game? Probably has, I'm just not aware.

The 6 win requirement is not in place this year, so any team can be invited. With that said, with apathy at such high levels, would anyone actually go ?

Yep, if we have a new coach in place, and there’s nothing precluding him from coaching, let him get his feet wet with the 15(?) practices and bowl game. Let’s take advantage of it and make the most of what we can!

Agreed. Tanner should have fired Muschamp after learning he didn’t take advantage of holding all of the practices for the ill fated Belk Bowl. Never heard a decent excuse for not doing so.

There aren't enough teams to fill all the bowls if they don't invite losers.

That's the ONLY scenario where I could see a bowl game being remotely worthwhile. Even then, it would be of highly limited value, given that the new coach would be coaching with the soon-to-be former coaching staff.

Has it ever been done where a new coach, not interim, coached the bowl game? Probably has, I'm just not aware.
Tommy West Coached the 93 peach bowl vs kentucky, replacing Ken Hatfield. Won the game 14-13

We need to do the right thing and decline....unless a new head coach is in place and wants to start using December to install his new system. In that instance, it would be worthwhile to go to a bowl. Otherwise sit this one out. We have earned it.

Reactions: DrMickey
I say let's play if we get the chance. Good practice for the young players of next year and good exposure for Doty. Best case, I would find it sweet if we could beat an ACC team that Clemson played. It would hurt their strength of schedule a little (not that it would matter).

Tommy West Coached the 93 peach bowl vs kentucky, replacing Ken Hatfield. Won the game 14-13
This is what most Clemson fans who hate Tommy Bowden don't realize. Tommy B got Clemson out of the Tommy W debacle and atleast moved them back into mediocrity (7-8 win seasons). He just couldn't get over the hump and win the division or the ACC.

A couple of weeks ago I was hoping we'd turn down any offer to play. No way I wanted to see a Muschamp team in a bowl game. Now that we have a freshman QB getting his second start in the final game of the season, I hope we do play in a bowl... simply to get him more game time.

A couple of weeks ago I was hoping we'd turn down any offer to play. No way I wanted to see a Muschamp team in a bowl game. Now that we have a freshman QB getting his second start in the final game of the season, I hope we do play in a bowl... simply to get him more game time.
I’m with you but only if a new coach is in place and coaches the team. I still won’t go but I would watch.

Hey Jeff. If everyone is eligible, I’m ready to see Clowney and friends get together for a D-line reunion 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: funktavious
I’m not a fan of Freeze, Falwell or Liberty in general, but this would be outrageous if a 3-7 or 2-8 P5 team goes to a bowl while a 10-1 Liberty team sits home.

These lower tier bowls are madness. This year, they are inexplicable. Shut them down!

Frank Howard used to call Virginia, "White meat". Everyone wanted to play them. After last year we would be classified as White meat and any team would lick their chops for a chance to play us. If we have any self respect at all, we should let this season end ASAP. Does anyone on this board really want us to go through even more embarrassment this year? I do not.

If I were to put myself in the shoes of a newly hired HC once the regular season ends, I'd do what so many others have done and not coach a game until next season. That said, I would encourage the university to play the bowl game. The more I see the players and staff, the better. How the fans feel about the showing would be irrelevant... I just wouldnt tell them that. This is assuming we make a hire soon. Anyone who will not talk to us until bowls are over shouldn't be a candidate.

Toilet bowl!

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DrMickey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT