ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNs Linda Cohn speaks truth

She is right. Also, not sure if true but my understanding is that sage Steele was removed bc she had conservative leanings that ran contrary to the four letter network.

ESPN also become to bloated. Having 3 or more ex coaches/players dissecting every single nuance for every game and sport. Also having these analysts sometimes doing their report days in advance from the site of the venue just to get the stadium in the background. No offense to Desmond Howard but he can just as easy tell us to watch for in the upcoming game from his home in Miami.
Thats alot of hotels/limos/ meals to be paying for when you don't have to.
Bad business model

As for the politics, no they don't have to address any issues, but with that said, even if I don't agree with their position if they happen to be the only network broadcasting the game I want to see, then that's who I'm going to watch.

There are more than just one or two factors why ESPN is losing revenue that have been discussed on this board

ESPN also become to bloated. Having 3 or more ex coaches/players dissecting every single nuance for every game and sport. Also having these analysts sometimes doing their report days in advance from the site of the venue just to get the stadium in the background. No offense to Desmond Howard but he can just as easy tell us to watch for in the upcoming game from his home in Miami.
Thats alot of hotels/limos/ meals to be paying for when you don't have to.
Bad business model

As for the politics, no they don't have to address any issues, but with that said, even if I don't agree with their position if they happen to be the only network broadcasting the game I want to see, then that's who I'm going to watch.

There are more than just one or two factors why ESPN is losing revenue that have been discussed on this board

Yeah yeah we know...We also know politics was the main factor..It's exactly what drove me and millions like me away...I refuse to watch any programming that aspires to shove liberal politics in my face every day...I have never tuned into ESPN or any sporting event to get a dose of liberal indoctrination...Can we just watch the games and sports shows without all the bs from the left's altered reality

IMO, the college football playoffs didn't help their cause. Yippy, we get a month or more talk about four teams... almost 24/7... not that they don't do similar things throughout the season. Come to think of it, I've rarely been interested in what the experts have had to say since the playoffs began.

Yep, Disney-ABC-ESPN pushing their liberal agenda on people has bitten them in the butt. From the praising Kaepernick coverage, to Kaitlyn's ESPY to gay bar coverage when Sam got drafted. Their act is wearing thin. People want to see sports-not a liberal agenda pushed down their throat.

I think as more fans just care about fantasy sports and individual performance, then the actual outcomes of the games, and team results. The prices of the pro TV packages/contracts should come down and the industry is late in recognizing this and badly over bidding and paying the NFL way to much for instance.

i think their web site is more left wing than the tv. what are your favorite websites for scores and highlights?

I'm more liberal than most on this board and I'm sick of the agenda being pushed. I have no problem with gay people and do believe people are born a certain way. But it's getting way out there. It's the problem with everything, everyone is pushing an agenda and I can't seem to escape it. It's everywhere.

Yeah yeah we know...We also know politics was the main factor..It's exactly what drove me and millions like me away...I refuse to watch any programming that aspires to shove liberal politics in my face every day...I have never tuned into ESPN or any sporting event to get a dose of liberal indoctrination...Can we just watch the games and sports shows without all the bs from the left's altered reality

Main Factor ? You don't think that it may be attributed to losing 12 million subscribers in the last 6 years. That is a loss of 12% total viewership.
Whether you refuse to watch any programming has nothing to do with their bottom line. ESPN is included in your cable package whether you watch it or not. Just like any other channel you choose not to watch.

And there is no way you are going to convince anyone on here that when SC is on ESPN that you are not going to watch the game based on your political views. Let's get real here

Reactions: fightingcock103

If they are the network broadcasting the Gamecocks, I'm going to watch regardless. That is true. But you don't win the ratings game by getting fans of the competing teams to watch your show. Am I as likely to tune in to watch Kansas State play Texas Tech or Purdue play Illinois? Probably not. Even more to the point, am I as likely to tune into all of ESPN's non-competitive sports programming like Sportscenter, PTI, and the endless daytime sports commentary shows? Probably not. It's not that people have stopped watching ESPN. They are simply watching less of it.

Reactions: okccock
Simply put, i watch less because they have less to watch...mostly a listening show now from them. In the past few years they have become mouth breathers and talking heads and I can not care less even though i have tried.

ESPN's problem is cable's problem in general. People under the age of old are cutting the cord because you can get good entertainment from streaming services for cheap. I quit cable 5 years ago and it had nothing to do with politics on ESPN shows. Cable was just too expensive and the only thing I miss since getting rid of it is live sporting events.

Honestly, ESPN has sucked for some time now. It probably peaked in the early-mid 90s, quality-wise. Slowly but surely, it started taking itself way too seriously. It was originally a laid back channel that focused exclusively on sports and its personalities were professional sports journalists who mixed good knowledge of sports with dry wit. Peter Gammons, Charlie Steiner, Bob Ley, etc.

I liked Dan Patrick and Olberman on Sports Center, but that's when it started also getting caught up in the personalities more than the sports itself. PTI was pretty good for its time, but they decided to make their programming a bunch of PTI clones with less talented hacks like Steven A. Smith, Cowherd, and Skip Bayless taking up hours of programming time. In the early 90s, highlights from almost every college football game were shown on the evening highlight shows. Now, you get to hear windbags like Mark May (well, used to, now that he's gone) talk for hours on end while the only highlights you get are top 25 games. Gameday is a chance to have celebrities that have nothing to do with schools give uninformed takes.

Anyway, the only programming I care to watch now are the games themselves. I have friends houses, sports bars, and streaming services for that.

Reactions: okccock
I used to enjoy Cowherd on the radio during lunch hour. Now LeBatard can talk for an hour and somehow not say anything about anything.

Yep, Disney-ABC-ESPN pushing their liberal agenda on people has bitten them in the butt. From the praising Kaepernick coverage, to Kaitlyn's ESPY to gay bar coverage when Sam got drafted. Their act is wearing thin. People want to see sports-not a liberal agenda pushed down their throat.

The thing that blows me away is Disney used to be the family of families TV entertainment.

Reactions: NooNoo
ESPN didn't have a liberal agenda. They had a sell advertising agenda. Anyone remember Tebow shoved down everyone's throats for years? With a few exceptions, God and Christ don't really sell advertising, but controversy does.

Technology is huge and another reason I would have a problem signing some extended contract. 1 Miss and you can become blockbuster. Cable is a thing of the past.

I also believe consumers are getting tired of the format that involves 2 people arguing about topics. That goes for all mainstream media outlets. I love a good discussion about topics I'm interested in but once the yelling and back and forth starts I tune out.

All I pay for is internet, phone. And watch basically anything.

I never noticed it being that bad. I watched a lot of ESPN and I rarely ever saw any politics on there. If a comment wasde here or there big effing deal. There's plenty of politics being brought up on this board and I don't see anyone running away. My thought is that if the opinion being expressed doesn't fit what the person believes, they get offended. I bet the same people had no problem when Rush Limbaugh was working for the NFL and spewing his nonsense.

Main Factor ? You don't think that it may be attributed to losing 12 million subscribers in the last 6 years. That is a loss of 12% total viewership.
Whether you refuse to watch any programming has nothing to do with their bottom line. ESPN is included in your cable package whether you watch it or not. Just like any other channel you choose not to watch.

And there is no way you are going to convince anyone on here that when SC is on ESPN that you are not going to watch the game based on your political views. Let's get real here
I don't think he was saying that he watched no ESPN because of their politics. Of course when Carolina is on, any of us will watch the game. However a game isn't full of left leaning politics. After the game or daily talk shows? Now that's another issue. I think that might be more of what he's referring to.

Sure, ESPN is in my cable package whether I watch it or not. However I hope my cable management is smart enough to reduce the amount they are paying ESPN (with their dwindling numbers) when contract renewal time comes around.

The thing that blows me away is Disney used to be the family of families TV entertainment.
Walt and Roy Disney died and subversive degenerates bought the name Disney. The unsophisticated consumer was then willing to let their children be brainwashed by their vacuous programing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT