ADVERTISEMENT

ESPY ratings plummet 88% from last year

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
Lowest rated ESPYs ever, going back to 1995. With a sports-starved audience, you'd have expected folks to be tuning for this perennially highly-rated show. Drew less than 500,000. Previous low was 1.98 million back in 2011.

It was surely expected to have a decreased audience, given that some awards were scrapped due to truncated seasons. But less than 500,000? Seems ESPNs strategy of turning the show into a social commentary did not work for them.

This makes me happy.

As much as I enjoy being able to have access to every football game we play, I'd gladly go back to the Jefferson Pilot game of the week days if it meant ESPN going under.

https://www.westernjournal.com/espn...83tOlxHk0Ow-zGYk_7lCvB2HqiP5wAl-NZT03Gch7OvoI

Disney has deep pockets, you might want to consider a different goal/hope regarding ESPN imploding.

when this board is at its best, there are sports everywhere.

If Skip & Shannon can stay on TV..........

I've never watched and I definitely wasn't going to watch this year. Live shows that are at home, virtual with no live audience don't entice me one bit. That and I knew the events of the past several weeks were going to be at the forefront and I'm simply burned out from all of it.

I've never watched and I definitely wasn't going to watch this year. Live shows that are at home, virtual with no live audience don't entice me one bit. That and I knew the events of the past several weeks were going to be at the forefront and I'm simply burned out from all of it.

It's too bad they didn't see this as an opportunity to give people a break from everything and just enjoy sports.

Lowest rated ESPYs ever, going back to 1995. With a sports-starved audience, you'd have expected folks to be tuning for this perennially highly-rated show. Drew less than 500,000. Previous low was 1.98 million back in 2011.

It was surely expected to have a decreased audience, given that some awards were scrapped due to truncated seasons. But less than 500,000? Seems ESPNs strategy of turning the show into a social commentary did not work for them.

This makes me happy.

As much as I enjoy being able to have access to every football game we play, I'd gladly go back to the Jefferson Pilot game of the week days if it meant ESPN going under.

https://www.westernjournal.com/espn...83tOlxHk0Ow-zGYk_7lCvB2HqiP5wAl-NZT03Gch7OvoI

Sad part, everyone was stuck home in different parts of the country and the rating still dropped big time....

The snowflakes and their obsession with ESPN. The UFC has been drawing near record numbers for mediocre cards so it’s clear the issue is just the lack of live sports.

FS1 has been in the tank as well and even their NASCAR races really haven’t helped them as those ratings have been among the lowest in their history of NASCAR coverage so obviously just being at home isn’t the answer.

When actual sports start back up again they’ll be right back at the top and you can stop worrying.

Well, ESPN switched to politics. I can get my political drivel from far better sources than ESPN. Normal news stations cover sports as a side show. ESPN was supposed to be the in depth analysis. Now they're basically another MSNBC covering all the politics in sports and the actual sports as almost an afterthought.
One thing for sure I don't need over paid athletes telling me what to think.

With society tuned out and not watching ESPN or listening to ESPN Radio, given no real sporting events, I'm not sure how a lot of people would of known about the show.

I had no idea but I still would not of watched :)

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Well, ESPN switched to politics. I can get my political drivel from far better sources than ESPN. Normal news stations cover sports as a side show. ESPN was supposed to be the in depth analysis. Now they're basically another MSNBC covering all the politics in sports and the actual sports as almost an afterthought.

Disney owns ABC and so has built-in mechanisms for pushing their political viewpoint through regular news media. I just don't see why it was necessary for them to turn ESPN into another propaganda tool.

If they went 100% sports with ZERO politics, their viewership would go through the roof.

Honestly, never saw a single notice about the ESPYs this year until they were over. They certainly didn't publicize them like they normally do.
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't even realize that it was on. I guess because there are no sports going on I don't have a reason to watch ESPN. I can't remember the last time I watched ESPN or even been on their web site.

Disney owns ABC and so has built-in mechanisms for pushing their political viewpoint through regular news media. I just don't see why it was necessary for them to turn ESPN into another propaganda tool.

If they went 100% sports with ZERO politics, their viewership would go through the roof.

Odd argument considering cable news shows that talk politics 24 hours a day and push a viewpoint are doing quite well.

people love it when the station is Pushing their political view.

How is ESPN different from this board? I mean there are no sports so this board has pretty much turned political. Once sports return I'm hoping this board goes back to normal...bashing our head coaches.;)

Odd argument considering cable news shows that talk politics 24 hours a day and push a viewpoint are doing quite well.

people love it when the station is Pushing their political view.
Well, it goes to show people are getting their political bs from better sources than ESPN. When they start showing and reviewing sports again, people may start to watch again.

Wait till the NFL starts taking a knee

NFL ratings took a dive and then rebounded as they distanced themselves somewhat from the kneeling. It'll be interesting to see what effect, if any, their full-on embrace/endorsement of it has on their ratings. People may be so starved for sports it won't matter.

Reactions: 92Pony
Go easy on him. It's not easy to see your hopes and dreams of rampant racism and hate crimes come crashing down.
A boo hoo hoo, I originally said that I would have to wait until the evidence came out but I wouldn’t be surprised. But okay sure uh huh

Beyond politics, awards shows in any genre are self congratulatory ego stroking of the worse kind. I believe people watched them because we idolized the participants. Now I truly believe folks on the left salivate to hear political viewpoints while all others detest these people when they are doing anything other than their jobs. Movies and sports are no longer glamourous or idolistic gluttony; ocassionally they are interesting because of some personal connection or need to relieve boredom.

When and if sports starts back up the politics crap is going to be in all sports . The mods wont be able to enforce because it has already spilt into college sports now.

Makes no sense to me. Even for the leftists, don't they want a break from politics from time-to-time? As a conservative, I wouldn't want to turn on a ballgame and have them discussing conservative political viewpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT