ADVERTISEMENT

Even if the Big 10 cancels their season. I see no reason

Think of what kind of viewership it would get if SEC and ACC gave a middle finger and went ahead and played.

Yes, the writing has been on the all for some time. Like most social justice movements, there's no resisting the tidal wave.

This decision is about MANY things, but player safety is not on the list.

Why do you say that? (About player safety?)

I think it really comes down to two things: player safety - though it may not be out of genuine concern, but because of liability issues, and the perception that will come with putting non-paid athletes in danger just so they can rake in the cash. There’s no good scenario for the schools.

Why do you say that? (About player safety?)

I think it really comes down to two things: player safety - though it may not be out of genuine concern, but because of liability issues, and the perception that will come with putting non-paid athletes in danger just so they can rake in the cash. There’s no good scenario for the schools.

Setting aside for a moment the fact that the vast majority of players want to play...yes, I understand this simply about no administration wanting to be viewed as the money-grubbing bad guy who put players in harms way for the sake of making a buck. Nor does any administration/conference want to be under the daily microscope of the media, who will be waiting (and hoping) like vultures for a player to test positive for COVID (or even better, a full-on outbreak).

This, of course, ignores the reality that coaches/administrations/conferences knowingly and willingly put players into harms way every single time the send them out onto that field. Any player is one bad tackle away from sipping through a straw for the rest of their life. Any player is one play away from a career-ending injury. Those are known risks, the players accept them, supposedly appropriate measures have been put in place to mitigate those risks so all goes on hunky dory.

I'm aware of the "well, it's really about the players transmitting it to other people" argument. That's just a blanket argument used to strike fear and keep people from doing ANYTHING. Virtually any activity you engage in, short of sitting in your house all alone, carries the risk of possibly transmitting the virus to someone else. Mitigation strategies could be put in place there as well.

Reactions: Lurker123
Football is inherently dangerous in ways that supersede catching a virus. Indeed, it might be that time lost to catching the virus would have prevented serious injury carrying worse effect than the virus. It's even inevitable, given the number of players involved. It's just that nothing that hypothetical is demonstrable..

I think it boils down to the optics of it being unsafe to have in person classes, but it's somehow safe to play a contact sport. The SCHSL was just debating this very thing. A few on the call pointed out that it will be really hard to reconcile that it's unsafe for us to have kids in classes, but it's ok for them to play football. Smalls even said that last week when it was announced that BCSD was starting the year virtual. He was upset that he can't be in class, but others can still play football.

No football until heart disease and cancer are cured! After all it places coaches and older fans at risk! Shut down all businesses, they are a risk for any transmitable disease. Sadly, lawyers rule the US. If only it was still OK to have a pair of balls!

Haven't you heard??? Heart disease and cancer has been cured since March 2020...

More people died with COVID19 than heart attacks, cancer and hard ons...

Here’s a major reason, among many others, to postpone the season until spring. How can anyone feel good about putting these young athletes at such risk.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

Simple answer - I know this is going to sound totally bat crap crazy to you but - ::: If the kid is 18 or older, is told about the risks, decides to play anyway - he / she must sign a waiver that they have been informed and CHOOSE to continue to play.

A little thing we used to call "Freedom." - Madness, I know

Reactions: Lurker123
Think of what kind of viewership it would get if SEC and ACC gave a middle finger and went ahead and played.
It would be great IF every game was acc vs sec. Seed the schedules with best vs best every week till the end.

Simple answer - I know this is going to sound totally bat crap crazy to you but - ::: If the kid is 18 or older, is told about the risks, decides to play anyway - he / she must sign a waiver that they have been informed and CHOOSE to continue to play.

A little thing we used to call "Freedom." - Madness, I know
I do believe in freedom. I’m an American too.

The decision to play or not extends beyond the students playing. What about the parents grandparents and siblings they go home to? What about the friends they see and could infect.

Please tell me why you feel these kids should play this fall and not wait until the spring? In the spring the risk of the virus could be less. That would make it safer for the student athletes. Lower virus numbers would also be a likely reason to let more fans attend the games.

The decision to play or not extends beyond the students playing. What about the parents grandparents and siblings they go home to? What about the friends they see and could infect.

Please tell me why you feel these kids should play this fall and not wait until the spring? In the spring the risk of the virus could be less. That would make it safer for the student athletes. Lower virus numbers would also be a likely reason to let more fans attend the games.

More better question: Tell me why YOU THINK YOUR WAY is the only way ----- as always.
You may be an "American" on paper but you're Moscow Red to me. Not fooling me a bit. *ALWAYS* a group of people trying to stick their noses in other peoples business > Communist / liberals. THEY KNOW what's best for everyone.........

Comedy Gold with these Anti-American communist supporting clowns.

You throw out a lot of "what if" scenarios. I DO NOT CARE. I RESPECT a free American's CHOICE to play / not play / wear a mask / not wear a mask........you see, unlike you, I support TOTAL FREEDOM.

You're only interested in telling me what's best for everyone. Piss off.

Because 99.99% of them are 18 yrs or older. They are "of age" to make their own decisions and.....(drum roll) I SUPPORT THEM. To put it simply - it's called FREEDOM.

You afraid to go to the games? Scared of the paper cut virus are you? Fine.......no problems. YOU STAY HOME then.......

This argument ends now. The math is correct. 1+1=2. America = free country. Game, set, match, #Checkmate.

Because 99.99% of them are 18 yrs or older. They are "of age" to make their own decisions and.....(drum roll) I SUPPORT THEM. To put it simply - it's called FREEDOM.

You afraid to go to the games? Scared of the paper cut virus are you? Fine.......no problems. YOU STAY HOME then.......

This argument ends now. The math is correct. 1+1=2. America = free country. Game, set, match, #Checkmate.
You need to tell President Commie Trump this, after he passed the legal age to buy tobacco to 21. He told ever kid under 21 your too stupid to make your on decisions regarding your on health. Don't seem like FREEDOM to me.

This argument ends now. The math is correct. 1+1=2. America = free country. Game, set, match, #Checkmate.[/QUOTE

Do you see the irony in telling me “the argument ends now” while espousing an argument of freedom of choice? No, I’m not telling you what to do. I’m presenting another point of view. It just so happens my view is soundly based on science.

I’m glad you support these young men in whatever decision they make. Will you support football players who would decide not to play and choose to postpone the season?

Do you realize if we play this fall you will not likely be able to attend games? Willie B’s seating will be reduced to between 15-20 thousand. In the spring it would likely be 2 to 3 times that number.

Last edited:

You could apply that same logic to every other risk that comes with playing football.

As far as going home to see parents, grandparents and siblings...easy solution: don't. Not while the season is ongoing. You could put together a mitigation strategy for this perceived problem in 10 minutes. "Problem" solved.

ADVERTISEMENT