ADVERTISEMENT

Every Gamecock fan should read The Verdict by Chris Paschal - excellent assessment of where we are as a program.

Kids want to play for lane. That's why he's had so much luck with the transfer portal. Will find out how Beamer does this off-season. Hopefully kids will want to come here and finish their college careers.

When people talk about clemsons rise, and lane at ole miss, I think of an aggressive flip of offensive philosophy.

Attract some athletes and find a good qb, and attack. (I'm not saying neglect the lines, but sell excitement to athletes)

I don't think Shane is following that blue print. He can't. He doesn't have a qb who can do it. But he has a window to show that he's going to try it. He can't sell a run first offense long term.

And yes, he should hit the transfer portal hard. And not for division II castoffs.

Who has he left ruined? Pete Carroll ruined USC with NCAA Violations. He took Tennessee to a Bowl win, while winning 2 more game than the previous season.
Only Coach to have a winning record at FAU, in 3 seasons he won 2 Conference USA championships. He's had a winning record at every college he's Coached, with a career record of 69-39.
You weren’t addressing me, I realize. I think the fast start by Miss won’t last because they are about to hit a meat grinder the rest of the season. Nothing to criticize concerning the head coach

This is a dangerously old way of thinking. Lane Kiffin has flipped the Rebels roster in short order. The transfer portal is essentially free agency, we can't turn in to Bama overnight but we darn sure should be bowl eligible next year. If not, we have a huge problem.
Yes today a competent coach can turn things around quickly. Alabama was 7-6 in Sabans first year and went 12-2 the second. Won a title in year 3.

I know SC isn’t Alabama but a better example might be Lou Holtz. A winless first season but things got drastically better in 2000 and 2001.

I know what progress looks like. The defense is playing harder and special teams are improved. The OL scheme is a complete dumpster fire and to ignore that or blame it on players does nothing to solve the real problem. We had guys literally slide out of the way of blocking DLs for Georgia. Could have easily burned through 3 QBs on Saturday with that performance.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Please, take a few minutes - well worth it. For the naysayers, tell me one thing he said that isn’t so. How do you think Clemson built their program when we were whipping them? Through great recruiting and patience, unfortunately. We need to have the foresight to do the same. Actually Kentucky has become a more than respectable program itself by keeping Stoops around and giving him what he needs. We need to follow those blueprints.
Any chance of linking this so we can indeed read it??

This is the problem with a hire like Beamer, we don't have 4-5 years to hold our breath and hope. We need to see a positive trajectory in the near-term. Risk taking is fine but you have to be comfortable with "smart failure." It's an IT leadership/team building term but it certainly applies here. Part of smart failure is to "fail fast." Meaning learn from the mistake and change course QUICKLY. Ray Ray has boxed us in here.
Why don't you shut the F U? We are Gamecock fans and if you're got the time, we have the coach...

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Yes today a competent coach can turn things around quickly. Alabama was 7-6 in Sabans first year and went 12-2 the second. Won a title in year 3.

I know SC isn’t Alabama but a better example might be Lou Holtz. A winless first season but things got drastically better in 2000 and 2001.

I know what progress looks like. The defense is playing harder and special teams are improved. The OL scheme is a complete dumpster fire and to ignore that or blame it on players does nothing to solve the real problem. We had guys literally slide out of the way of blocking DLs for Georgia. Could have easily burned through 3 QBs on Saturday with that performance.
We did use 3 qbs if I'm not mistaken. Or did you mean get them killed?

All I've seen about this is him saying that "confidence" ....not talent...is the biggest problem with our OL.

That let me know that he knows not of what he speaks regarding college football, players, programs and systems. I'm sure he's a great lawyer, though.

We don't have a Mark Stoops...we have a huge gamble/variable. Stoops was as sure a bet as you could make - especially for Kentucky's program at that time. I wondered aloud why in the world we weren't considering him last fall.
Wrong about Stoops. It hasn't been all unicorns and rainbows at Kentucky. You're just blowing shit out of your ass on that point. Hell your whole statement as a matter of fact is just verbal diarrhea.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
We did use 3 qbs if I'm not mistaken. Or did you mean get them killed?

Yes I meant 3 ending up injured. Zeb got his hand accidentally stepped on. Hard to blame that on the OL. Just crap luck.

Brown was on the run on his only throw and that one was enough.

Doty took some hits but he held up. It’s just hard for me to see him making it through the season without another injury if this line doesn’t improve. It’s one thing for your QB to take a hit, but some of these hits were with guys coming full speed with nothing slowing them down.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Brown was on the run on his only throw and that one was enough.
Brown is obviously the savvy’s “let’s hate on” guy this season.

He came in cold on third down, was bum rushed by Georgia, the smart play on their part, rolled from that rush and threw it away, like he should do.

Where from that do we get “one was enough”?

I don’t disagree with the notion that Beamer needs time and it’s going to take several years. Here’s my problem…this is basically the same thing we said when we hired Muschamp…and Spurrier before him…and Holtz before him….and Scott before him…etc. Like I said, I get it. The only options are: 1) Give Beamer time or 2) quit being a fan and quit following the team. But certainly folks can see where some of us who have followed the team for a long time have a sense of futility.
I didn't have a sense of futility about the Beamer hire. I thought he would do well here IF he hired the right assistants. However, after watching the offense the first 3 games I realize that he may need an extra year to get his staff right.

Normally, he would get 5 years. It may take 6 years.

I didn't have a sense of futility about the Beamer hire. I thought he would do well here IF he hired the right assistants. However, after watching the offense the first 3 games I realize that he may need an extra year to get his staff right.

Normally, he would get 5 years. It may take 6 years.
100% agreement.

My first trip to W-B (Carolina Stadium) saw Tommy Suggs as QB, Warren Muir and Rudy Holloman as RBs, and Fred Zeigler as a receiver (called "split end" back in those days.) It was 1968; we played Duke, and lost. Saw us win the ACC the next year in 1969.

Those of you that "have a sense of futility" may as well get over it because you seek and think you can "demand" that which you will not find.

A while back, we hired David to slay Goliath. He got in some licks, but once he ran out of the brief cache of local primo rocks, he, David himself, was slain.

If David couldn't do it, disparaging any others or trying to blame this or that entity is silly.

What about them? I was responding to your point saying that quick turnarounds have never happened here. I simply provided two examples to the contrary.

Those weren't turnarounds. Those were blips. SOS achieved the only thing I would call a real turnaround, giving us 4 consecutive good years (3 consecutive really good years), but that didn't come until well into his tenure. I guess it's questionable whether it was really a turnaround since it didn't stick.

Those weren't turnarounds. Those were blips. SOS achieved the only thing I would call a real turnaround, giving us 4 consecutive good years (3 consecutive really good years), but that didn't come until well into his tenure. I guess it's questionable whether it was really a turnaround since it didn't stick.
Those absolutely were turnarounds. What you're talking about now is sustained success. On that point, I (and most other honest Gamecock fans) would agree that Spurrier's run here has been our only example.

Brown is obviously the savvy’s “let’s hate on” guy this season.

He came in cold on third down, was bum rushed by Georgia, the smart play on their part, rolled from that rush and threw it away, like he should do.

Where from that do we get “one was enough”?

Well the short version of the story is Shane Beamer thought the one play was enough.

100% agreement.

My first trip to W-B (Carolina Stadium) saw Tommy Suggs as QB, Warren Muir and Rudy Holloman as RBs, and Fred Zeigler as a receiver (called "split end" back in those days.) It was 1968; we played Duke, and lost. Saw us win the ACC the next year in 1969.

Those of you that "have a sense of futility" may as well get over it because you seek and think you can "demand" that which you will not find.

A while back, we hired David to slay Goliath. He got in some licks, but once he ran out of the brief cache of local primo rocks, he, David himself, was slain.

If David couldn't do it, disparaging any others or trying to blame this or that entity is silly.
Fred Zeigler was an SAE and frat brother of my older brother. He came to our house for dinner in 1968.

That game you mentioned was also my first game at Carolina Stadium. I was 14 and in the 8th grade. I had no clue what I was watching.

Reactions: Cocktort
Very solid read. People are quick to point out that we didn't hire a proven winner ala a Napier or Chadwell. We hired someone who WANTED to be here and who is DEDICATED to righting this ship. We don't have the Gilmore's, Clowney's, Ingrams, Lattimore's, Jeffrey's, Shaw's, or Swearingers right now. Will we get there??? Hopefully. This isn't going to be a 1 year turnaround or fix. It's going to take time. It's going to require growing pains. However, hopefully by year 4 or 5, we will see a drastic difference. We have to build depth, and continue to foster a competitive culture. I want Beamer to succeed and I think he will. We have to be patient, and I know we are tired of the "Wait til' next year." Muschamp left a mess of a program behind and didn't leave Beamer a lot to work with. We either get behind him, support him and the team, and grin and bear it. Or we can gladly put on a headset and offer to do much better. I know that others will blame Ray Tanner and rightfully so. He's made very questionable hires, however that's water under the bridge at this point.

We do have those types of players. Additionally, from last year's team, we had an abysmal backfield but individually had multiple players drafted. I'm not hating on the team. Just pointing out that we have quite a bit of talent on this squad.

Reactions: Cocktort
All I've seen about this is him saying that "confidence" ....not talent...is the biggest problem with our OL.

That let me know that he knows not of what he speaks regarding college football, players, programs and systems. I'm sure he's a great lawyer, though.

We don't have a Mark Stoops...we have a huge gamble/variable. Stoops was as sure a bet as you could make - especially for Kentucky's program at that time. I wondered aloud why in the world we weren't considering him last fall.
It’s the same like from last yr. But we are missing one person it’s coaching y’all wake up

ADVERTISEMENT