ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone has been throwing out coach names what about

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Jim Harbaugh?

Hear me out:

1- he has one year left on his contract currently. It appears to be mutual- despite his solid W/L record being 0-5 vs OSU does not sit well with the fans or admin at Michigan and he seems to not be as excited about coaching there as he once was- he also typically moves around periodically so just may be ready for a change (warmer weather perhaps?) In the limited turnover landscape of this season, he may be one of a small few options available that would not require a big buyout of the contract they have in place.

2. He can flat coach- something like 103-40 as a college head coach, built Stanford from a loser to a Rose Bowl team that beat the piss out of their dominant rival (USC at the time was one of the top programs in the nation) and literally took them to heights never seen before while developing a young Andrew Luck. At Michigan, his worst record so far was an 8 win season... usually wins around 10 games, has been dominated by OSU, but they dominate everyone not named Clemsun or Bama. First coach in the history of the NFL to take a team (Niners) to the Conference Championship game in each of his first three seasons, took them to the SB his second year with basically a rookie (first year starter who took over mid season) playing QB most of the season. I won’t mention that QB’s name as I don’t want to make anyone here upset, but the point is Jim can COACH.

3. He can recruit- again perhaps not better than Urban and OSU- he is not stealing enough talent from Ohio, but he has the kind of name recognition that could attract attention to us.

Yeah he is a little odd, a “character”, someone who tries to gi above and beyond written rules at times- but people do not accuse him of being dirty... More innovative. If things go poorly from here and we find a way to pay Champ’s buyout this season- We could do a lot worse than Harbaugh!

* total conjecture BTW- no rumors of something like this to be found, I completely made it up*

Reactions: jonesz21
Jim Harbaugh?

Hear me out:

1- he has one year left on his contract currently. It appears to be mutual- despite his solid W/L record being 0-5 vs OSU does not sit well with the fans or admin at Michigan and he seems to not be as excited about coaching there as he once was- he also typically moves around periodically so just may be ready for a change (warmer weather perhaps?) In the limited turnover landscape of this season, he may be one of a small few options available that would not require a big buyout of the contract they have in place.

2. He can flat coach- something like 103-40 as a college head coach, built Stanford from a loser to a Rose Bowl team that beat the piss out of their dominant rival (USC at the time was one of the top programs in the nation) and literally took them to heights never seen before while developing a young Andrew Luck. At Michigan, his worst record so far was an 8 win season... usually wins around 10 games, has been dominated by OSU, but they dominate everyone not named Clemsun or Bama. First coach in the history of the NFL to take a team (Niners) to the Conference Championship game in each of his first three seasons, took them to the SB his second year with basically a rookie (first year starter who took over mid season) playing QB most of the season. I won’t mention that QB’s name as I don’t want to make anyone here upset, but the point is Jim can COACH.

3. He can recruit- again perhaps not better than Urban and OSU- he is not stealing enough talent from Ohio, but he has the kind of name recognition that could attract attention to us.

Yeah he is a little odd, a “character”, someone who tries to gi above and beyond written rules at times- but people do not accuse him of being dirty... More innovative. If things go poorly from here and we find a way to pay Champ’s buyout this season- We could do a lot worse than Harbaugh!

* total conjecture BTW- no rumors of something like this to be found, I completely made it up*
No, no, no!

Reactions: SOSUSC
A coach that can’t win his division much less beat his rival? No thanks I’ll pass
This is the problem. It’s not that he’s done that bad of a job but he’s played second fiddle. No one hears Harbaugh and thinks of all he’s won only what he hasn’t. I don’t think it would be a bad hire but it would be a weird one.

Reactions: Brace1
A coach that can’t win his division much less beat his rival? No thanks I’ll pass
He did win his division at Stanford and beat the pants off their rival a few times and he win the division his first three consecutive seasons at San Fran... San Fran was a DUMPSTER FIRE when he took over, not projected to make the playoffs made Conference championship three consecutive years, Stanford had not been to a bowl in like 7-8 years before he came. So- he should be at the top of your list if winning his division is the criteria or if rebuilding a team fast is important...

I’m not pro or anti Harbaugh, but who the hell do you think is going to leave his division winning and rival beating team to come here?

Today’s coaching environment isn’t like it was 25 years ago, when there was such a pay disparity amongst teams that coaches were eager to jump to another team just to get a pay raise.

Now not only has the HBC money more or less evened out, there are Coordinators making $1.5-$2 million per year.

25 years ago Clemson’s coaching staff would’ve jumped at a higher paying job. Now, they rarely leave.

Who’s on your “realistic” list?

Why would he come here? What do we have to offer?
Better Weather
Better Conference
Lower expectations
Gets away from OSU (replaces with cu)
AD who would never let him reach the last year of his deal...
Better talent in surrounding states. (Ohio is the biggest recruiting region close to him now and he is getting smashed there by OSU)

He is at the school we went to, but seems to have lost some zest for it now that the new has worn off. A new job might energize him!

I am not saying this is going to/likely to happen or even a reasonable option, but it is a defensible position!

Better Weather
Better Conference
Lower expectations
Gets away from OSU (replaces with cu)
AD who would never let him reach the last year of his deal...
Better talent in surrounding states. (Ohio is the biggest recruiting region close to him now and he is getting smashed there by OSU)

He is at the school we went to, but seems to have lost some zest for it now that the new has worn off. A new job might energize him!

I am not saying this is going to/likely to happen or even a reasonable option, but it is a defensible position!
That’s a depressing selling point.

That’s a depressing selling point.
Exactly. I want a coach that wants to come here to raise expectations. Spurrier succeeded in doing that for a while. But when he got too old to maintain it, too many of our fans were more than happy to go back into their "woe is us" and "wait 'til next year" cocoons.

Not saying Harbaugh would do that though.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I'm not for or against him. But he does have a way of wearing out his welcome awfully quick. It seems like at his last couple of stops, he ends up ruining his own momentum just when he gets things going. He would be one step forward and two steps back, it seems.

Harbaugh has won a lot of games everywhere he’s been. Hasn’t gotten over the Ohio State hump but they are one of the best teams in America. Not many teams have beat them. Michigan is MUCH better than they were before Harbaugh was there. He did really well at San Diego and Stanford. Coaches in the NFL so that’s a selling point to recruits. I doubt he’d come to SC as he’ll likely end up in the NFL again. People don’t like Harbaugh but we could certainly do much, much worse. He just beat the pants off PJ Fleck Saturday night.

Stanford has decreased slowly after Harbaugh left. He builds a solid foundation. They aren’t near the team they were when he was there.

Eventually, I'd like to see Shaw. He was great at QB and understand the game well. He was good enough to get a cup of coffee in the NFL. He has that balance of having been good at his position, but not quite good enough to make it as a pro, which you tend to find with a lot of your coaches. He's as competitive as anyone. Whatever he lacked in QB skills he more than made up for with his determination and will to win. Bringing him back would connect us, in some way, to our glory days. He's someone who knows it can be done at SC and he knows what it takes to do it. He never lost a home game, so he knows something about locking down your home field.

He's not an immediate solution, but I hope he might consider getting his feet wet in coaching eventually.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
Why why why? LOL
Probably more personal than for most of you. I am a gamecock first but grew up in Ohio and pulled for OSU until I moved South after College. I grew up naturally disliking the Harbaugh's especially Jim the whiner and complainer.

My favorite bumber sticker, "I brake for animals, except Wolverines".

Favorite quote from W. H. When asked why he went for two points after a touchdown late in game with a big lead against MU. "Because they wouldn't let me go for 3".

He hated Michigan so much that he refused to buy gas, rent hotels in Michigan for his team or even eat in Michigan. Didn't want the state to benefit from the taxes.

Last edited:
Probably more personal than for most of you. I am a gamecock first but grew up in Ohio and pulled for OSU until I moved South after College. I grew up naturally disliking the Harbaugh's especially Jim the whiner and complainer.

My favorite bumber sticker, "I break for animals, except Wolverines".

Favorite quote from W. H. When asked why he went for two points after a touchdown late in game with a big lead against MU. "Because they wouldn't let me go for 3".

He hated Michigan so much that he refused to buy gas, rent hotels in Michigan for his team or even eat in Michigan. Didn't want the state to benefit from the taxes.

Probably some myth mixed in there.

He has some quotes about eating food at hotels in Michigan.

Reactions: viennacocks
Harbaugh has won a lot of games everywhere he’s been. Hasn’t gotten over the Ohio State hump but they are one of the best teams in America. Not many teams have beat them. Michigan is MUCH better than they were before Harbaugh was there. He did really well at San Diego and Stanford. Coaches in the NFL so that’s a selling point to recruits. I doubt he’d come to SC as he’ll likely end up in the NFL again. People don’t like Harbaugh but we could certainly do much, much worse. He just beat the pants off PJ Fleck Saturday night.

Stanford has decreased slowly after Harbaugh left. He builds a solid foundation. They aren’t near the team they were when he was there.
Exactly- if we want a guy who can build a program on a foundation of winning, a recruiter with name recognition and NFL ties... Sure some people don’t like him- he has a brash kind of quirky personality, not dissimilar from SOS in some ways (both former successful QBs and successful coaches)... He checks just about all the boxes though IMO. PLUS- the reason I even thought to post this- he only has one year left on his deal which means, despite the fact he wins like 10 games a year usually, he and the school are clearly at odds in some way and he may be available around the time we may be seriously considering making a change, without having to buy him away from a blue-blood program like Michigan! Would he come here? Who knows... Just saying- if we make a change and he is available, you gotta call the man right? Urban Meyer is not likely going to come out of retirement for us.. We are not a top 5/ top 10 destination for big name coaches. (see the guys turning us down because of the mere prospect of bigger jobs the last time around) Unless they like golf and want to retire here (Holtz and Spurrier)- the only way we get a top notch coach like Jim (and the inky way we can FORD TO under this economic environment) is if he feels his stock is down a bit after he leaves Michigan, and their unwillingness to extend him speaks to a diminished value where we might could get a top tier guy “on sale”...

Points summarized- that is my thought process. Doubt it happens but IMO that is about the best we could hope for. Stranger things have happened.

Jim Harbaugh?

Hear me out:

Sounds good although probably won’t happen. I, unlike some others, see Carolina as being a good place for success

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
There is one thing we can all agree with. Harbaugh would be a huge upgrade to what we have now.
Agreed. Never was a fan of Muschamp's hiring. It has been hard to balance that sometimes with the fact I am still a Gamecock and he is not going anywhere near term so we have to learn to live with it.

No arguing it would be an upgrade, but it doesn't make any sense for him. He wouldn't give us the time of day.

No arguing it would be an upgrade, but it doesn't make any sense for him. He wouldn't give us the time of day.
People said the same thing about Holtz and Spurrier... Just sayin. Ya never know... regardless/ nothing in this thread was intended to be “breaking news” or an implication I had heard of a mutual interest there- but it is as likely we get him as Fleck or any other successful coach from half way across the nation whose name is tossed around in coaching discussions here as though the fact these guys are successful and locked into long term deals should mean nothing to us. We cannot pay off our own coach’s deal rn, we absolutely cannot buy anybody else out of theirs.

First, we need to move Tanner to another position like Buildings and Grounds. Then we need to go after the Coastal Carolina AD. Then we need to fire Muschamp.

Jim Harbaugh?

Hear me out:

You may have lost credibility with this post!

People said the same thing about Holtz and Spurrier... Just sayin. Ya never know... regardless/ nothing in this thread was intended to be “breaking news” or an implication I had heard of a mutual interest there- but it is as likely we get him as Fleck or any other successful coach from half way across the nation whose name is tossed around in coaching discussions here as though the fact these guys are successful and locked into long term deals should mean nothing to us. We cannot pay off our own coach’s deal rn, we absolutely cannot buy anybody else out of theirs.
The big difference, and it's very big is that both individuals had been out of coaching 1 and 2 years, so they both had enough time to weigh other options. If Harbaugh got fired this year (highly unlikely ), it seems extremely doubtful he would be willing to jump right back in the game, without weighing his options as well.

He'd be taking about a 50% paycut. His pride would be hurt. Think his heart would be in it?
Maybe he would take a big pay cut, maybe not. Typically we pay about the going rate for coaches here. Assuming we are talking about a year out and post covid where we can afford to pay ANYBODY- I assume we will be competitive with whatever offers we make. I have had a rough time getting a handle on his current pay also- he makes a lot regardless, but quite a bit is supplemental income. His base is around $5-6 million. He gets a life insurance payment of like $2mill a year too and some other supplemental stuff that puts him among the highest paid coaches in the nation. At this point I don’t know if anyone, including Michigan, is willing to match that for him though. If Michigan WAS, you would assume they would have by now.

The job is going to be a hard sell to anyone proven as a head coach. Assuming things keep going the way they are for Muschamp, it'll be 3 straight coaches who have bombed out here. Both Holtz and Spurrier had success before things came crashing down, but they both came to unfortunate ends.

In reality, the absolute very best seasons we ever had with a legendary HOF coach and a historically unprecedented run of high level in-state talent saw us get 11 wins and get trucked in the SECCG. That may be a deterrent.

Matt Entz from NDSU will get some interest from schools if he keeps up the winning there. He was 16-0 in his first year last season. Their former head coach, Chris Klieman, is doing well at K State, going 8-5 in last season and off to a 4-1 start this season. After a tough opening loss to Ark State they bounced back to beat OU on the road. If he keeps it up there for a couple more seasons, he'll probably get some interestfrom schools as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT