ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone, including many of our own fans, are talking about how poorly

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
we played last night and how the tar holes gave us the game, blah blah blah blah.

It is yet to be determined how good or how bad the tar holes really are.

It is yet to be determined how good, mediocre or bad we are. Anyone remember 1984, the Black Magic year? My wife and I sat in the West Middle section of WB and watched the Citadel almost beat us. And if not for a trick play the Bulldogs would have beaten us. After that game, I don't think anyone would have predicted the Gamecocks would go on to have a great season.

Last edited:
See a lot of potential in this team. We're big and strong on both lines...especially the D-Line. Been awhile since we had four sacks in one game.
Saw some potential on offense too...some gamers. Saw some toughness in Mitch. Take away the three drops and his stats look better. O-Line had a pretty good game. That's why we rushed for over 250 yards.

I was at the 84 game with the Citadel as well. Again...opening games are just that. Have seen a lot of that in the other games so far as well. As the old saying goes usually you see the most improvement between the first and second game because the coaches have film on "live" competition to be able to correct stuff from. We've got a lot of young talent. Think this team will keep getting better. But here's the biggie for me. Sure felt a lot better after last night's win and being 1-0 than it did after last year's first game debacle and being 0-1. Go Cocks. Keep the faith Gamecock Nation.

I think we did ok. Sure there is a lot of work to do but we played last night like we have in every other opener Spurrier has coached us in except for maybe 2.

The gamecock fans that think we sucked are the dummies that had us winning 10+ this year.

I do think that Spurrier has brought all of this on himself though. He seems frustrated, too frustrated. He would have better performances if he had better players, and we all know that goes back to recruiting.

After last night I see a 7 or 8 win season as opposed to a 6 or 7 win season.

My message to fans would be expect more of what we saw last night against Kentucky or maybe a little bit better. We'll beat Kentucky by 7ish.

Last edited:
I think we did ok. Sure there is a lot of work to do but we played last like we have in every other opener Spurrier has coached us in except for maybe 2.

The gamecock fans that think we sucked are the dummies that had us winning 10+ this year.

I do think that Spurrier has brought all of this on himself though. He seems frustrated, to frustrated. He would have better performances if he had better players, and we all know that goes back to recruiting.

After last night I see a 7 or 8 win season as opposed to a 6 or 7 win seaso.

My message to fans would be expect more of what we saw last night against Kentucky or maybe a little bit better. We'll beat Kentucky by 7ish.

I think we could win 9 or maybe even 10 with a break here and there.

Reactions: bmhood1984
I think we did ok. Sure there is a lot of work to do but we played last night like we have in every other opener Spurrier has coached us in except for maybe 2.

I do think that Spurrier has brought all of this on himself though. He seems frustrated, too frustrated. He would have better performances if he had better players, and we all know that goes back to recruiting.

After last night I see a 7 or 8 win season as opposed to a 6 or 7 win season.

Umdter, does it bother you much you don't know what you're talking about?

Our win total depends on the growth of Mitch. He WILL get better as the season goes on and he gains more experience. Same with our receivers. We can easily get to 7 wins but if Mitch can reach his potential we could get 9. Also, we will beat Kentucky by at least 2 tds.

we played last night and the tar holes gave us the game, blah blah blah blah.

It is yet to be determined how good or bad the tar holes really are.

It is yet to be determined how good, mediocre or bad we are. Anyone remember 1984, the Black Magic year? My wife and I sat in the West Middle section of WB and watched the Citadel almost beat us. And if not for a trick play the Bulldogs would have beaten us. After that game, I don't think anyone would have predicted the Gamecocks would go on to have a great season.
Freddie I was thinking the same thing. No one saw the 84 season unfolding as it did, especially after that Citadel game in which I had to leave my seat and pace back and forth on the concourse to get rid of my frustration. Would love to see us come up big this year. Should I leave the garnet colored glasses on or take them off ?

My biggest concern right now is the dropped passes. We heard a lot about that during camp. It appears to be a pattern.

we played last night and the tar holes gave us the game, blah blah blah blah.

It is yet to be determined how good or bad the tar holes really are.

I was there, too, Freddie. And you are right, only the unfolding of the season before us will answer the question as to how good or bad we are. I just don't have much confidence in Conner yet. He's been in the program for two full years now. He came in with accolades. I just thought he would have looked better. Maybe he will. I would love another Black Magic year!!!!!

Reactions: 81gococks
Well, let's be honest. I can't really recall a 1st game masterpiece under SOS, even our wins. We always tend to look very mediocre, or like last year, bad. I don't know what it is. We just always seem to slop around. What I do know is we're 1-0, and I'm moving on to kentacky. We owe them, among others, from last year.

Reactions: bmhood1984
I think next week's game will tell us a lot more. I like that we have an extra couple days preparation for it.

Just win, that's all that matters. I'd rather be the ugliest 12-0 team than the prettiest 6-6 one.
I remember Tannyhill's senior season. He put up big numbers. We had a game where we scored 77 points. We were scoring points on everybody. We were exciting on offense but I think we only won 4 games because our defense couldn't stop anybody. Win no matter what. It doesn't have to be pretty.

We just did not look good. We were given the game. That's not important, the next game is. We will be better.

Reactions: Bleedgandb3334
we played last night and how the tar holes gave us the game, blah blah blah blah.

It is yet to be determined how good or how bad the tar holes really are.

Well Freddy, it is almost 10 pm on Saturday night. I have not seen one team get a delay of game penalty on the very first play, have you? I see teams that execute, and I see first year QB's that do not look like a deer in headlights. I see teams that get a good rhythm going and execute their offense.
Hopefully we will get better. 7 wins would be great with what I saw the other night.

Reactions: tailgatecock
Big different between now and 1984....we weren't in the SEC then. We might get better like that season but there's a good chance no one would know that we were better.

Well Freddy, it is almost 10 pm on Saturday night. I have not seen one team get a delay of game penalty on the very first play, have you? I see teams that execute, and I see first year QB's that do not look like a deer in headlights. I see teams that get a good rhythm going and execute their offense.
Hopefully we will get better. 7 wins would be great with what I saw the other night.

But, in spite of those things, the Gamecocks still won. I'm not saying everything is rosie, it's not. But, after I watched the game in it's entirety, I'm convinced the game was not given to us and we did many more good things than we did bad things. I think the defense made tremendous strides. With that being said I think we have a lot of improvement that needs to be done, especially on offense.

But, in spite of those things, the Gamecocks still won. I'm not saying everything is rosie, it's not. But, after I watched the game in it's entirety, I'm convinced the game was not given to us and we did many more good things than we did bad things. I think the defense made tremendous strides. With that being said I think we have a lot of improvement that needs to be done, especially on offense.
Improvement is needed everywhere, including coaching! Those are the facts. And this staff better sign an extremely well recruiting class this year. We need players at most all positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT