ADVERTISEMENT

Exiting political chats

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
For me, the time has come to exit the political chats on this board. I have taken part in some, though not a ton of these strings. I have been critical of the President and his performance, though I like to think that my criticisms have been fact-based.

However, politics in this day and age is always a loaded topic, and many times toxic. We don't change each other's minds, we just alienate each other and tear each other down. No judgment toward those who continue to use this as an avenue for political talk, but I'm walking away, and will return my focus to using this board as a welcome diversion from the toxic mess going on all around us.

Best to all. Stay safe, stay healthy, and Go Cocks.

I
For me, the time has come to exit the political chats on this board. I have taken part in some, though not a ton of these strings. I have been critical of the President and his performance, though I like to think that my criticisms have been fact-based.

However, politics in this day and age is always a loaded topic, and many times toxic. We don't change each other's minds, we just alienate each other and tear each other down. No judgment toward those who continue to use this as an avenue for political talk, but I'm walking away, and will return my focus to using this board as a welcome diversion from the toxic mess going on all around us.

not sure why anyone cares if they alienate other people or tear them down on a message board. I can’t imagine anyone caring about that in this day and age.

but I respect your choice.

Reactions: GandBinNC

tearing down always creates regrowth if you’re into glass half full stuff.

Godspeed Sir. May you and your family stay safe.

Thanks for letting us know

In the past, I actually used this board to GET AWAY from politics. Somehow, I allowed myself to get reeled in when it showed up around here. I am with you, I think I will be taking a break as well. I am ready for sports to come back. I live in Texas so I use this forum to actually still maintain some connection with SC fans, and Gamecock athletics. I need that to come back. Politics makes people crazy. I like to go back to the days when we we all agreed on how much Clemson sucked, and we all hung on to that dream of winning something one day haha.

FOREVER TO THEE!

Last edited:
Reactions: GandBinNC

Two questions...
Why could you not have just quietly exited the political discussions instead of announcing it?
Why must you take a last parting shot at the President? Imo, even if you had some justifiable need to make an announcement, your final criticism is evidence that no justifiable need really existed, other than to get in
one last dig.

I agree with You. This was a place where you can get away from all that crap. I get pulled into it too.

7B0135628A5DE31DEF03734CF3DD671E0568489C

Last edited:
Two questions...
Why could you not have just quietly exited the political discussions instead of announcing it?
Why must you take a last parting shot at the President? Imo, even if you had some justifiable need to make an announcement, your final criticism is evidence that no justifiable need really existed, other than to get in
one last dig.

Against my better judgment, I am responding to you only to answer your first question, which is a legitimate one. Why didn't I just quietly walk away rather than announcing it? Because maybe it would make a difference in some small way. Maybe someone else would consider doing the same, and incrementally, this board would return to talk of Gamecock sports and away from the toxicity of politics. Reading the responses, at least one person seems to have taken it in the spirit it was intended.

As for the rest of your comments, I'll just say you perfectly illustrated my original point, and confirmed my decision. Peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: wentzel25
In the past, I actually used this board to GET AWAY from politics. Somehow, I allowed myself to get reeled in when it showed up around here. I am with you, I think I will be taking a break as well. I am ready for sports to come back. I live in Texas so I use this forum to actually still maintain some connection with SC fans, and Gamecock athletics. I need that to come back. Politics makes people crazy. I like to go back to the days when we we all agreed on how much Clemson sucked, and we all hung on to that dream of winning something one day haha.

FOREVER TO THEE!

Take care. When you find some live sports to talk about, please let us know.

When you engage in political discourse, and I admit I've done quite a bit of it, you don't change anyone's mind. The other side doesn't see anything through the same lens. I don't think I've ever convinced one lefty that my way is better, even when we agreed on the issues.

Last edited:
Against my better judgment, I am responding to you only to answer your first question, which is a legitimate one. Why didn't I just quietly walk away rather than announcing it? Because maybe it would make a difference in some small way. Maybe someone else would consider doing the same, and incrementally, this board would return to talk of Gamecock sports and away from the toxicity of politics. Reading the responses, at least one person seems to have taken it in the spirit it was intended.

As for the rest of your comments, I'll just say you perfectly illustrated my original point, and confirmed my decision. Peace.
And you’ve illustrated mine and confirmed what I suspected. Peace to you as well.

tearing down always creates regrowth if you’re into glass half full stuff.
Actually tearing down makes someone feel better about themselves for a moment; it shifts their focus from the dread they have about themselves and places that on other people. This coping mechanism is pretty well known in psychology. So... when you find yourself belittling someone for their beliefs or actions, you should give pause and think, "Hmm, what does this actually say about what's going on for me right now?"

Two questions...
one last dig.

Good Post.

Actually tearing down makes someone feel better about themselves for a moment; it shifts their focus from the dread they have about themselves and places that on other people. This coping mechanism is pretty well known in psychology. So... when you find yourself belittling someone for their beliefs or actions, you should give pause and think, "Hmm, what does this actually say about what's going on for me right now?"

I get called all sorts of names on here because of my opinion but if that bothers you, don’t visit message boards.

of course many of those same people would never do so in person, but on a message board they don’t have to worry about it. But again, don’t post on boards if that sort of things bothers you. (And I don’t mean you, I mean anyone)

Last edited:
Let me add

You have to just accept, as I have in the last few years, that a lot of people you know, under the surface, likely don’t like you very much if your politics doesn’t match their politics. that’s true whatever side you like if you embrace a particular side.

I’ve lost a handful of friends over the election in 2016 Because I choose not to Worship the current occupant of the White House. It didn’t matter that I didn’t Worship the last one either. . But it is what it is. You can’t sit around and worry about it.

but on a message board, this should be fun- even the arguing. It’s a great thing most of us don’t know other people on the board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT