ADVERTISEMENT

Facility upgrade questions

Football- the stadium needs more work. Quite a bit more work in my opinion. The north stands need something done with them, not sure what they can do except do a complete rebuild of what they already have but just make it look nicer. Don’t think they’re ever going to enclose it though.

Basketball- the CLA needs an overhaul in a major way, the seats need upgrades and add cup holders, not sure what else we can do.

Reactions: king ward
Football facility Just finished lots of upgrades and has provided some drastic improvements so not sure any new renovations coming soon but as always they needs to continue to improve whenever they can.
Would love to see those streaming lights around the stadium

More and more colleges will adopt an NFL stadium model: not larger, but better. I hope we don't fall too far behind in that transition. As noted in Post #2, the biggest need is a remaking of the North End of the stadium. I'd love to see armchair seats down there and a concourse at the top that affords a view of the action - not something that requires you to go outside to get a drink or visit a restroom.

In a few years our baseball facility will be added to this list. We are still near the top but we are sliding there as well as most other SEC schools have renovated or built new including LSU, AM, Mizzou, Moo St, Florida, etc.

Reactions: rogue cock
More and more colleges will adopt an NFL stadium model: not larger, but better. I hope we don't fall too far behind in that transition. As noted in Post #2, the biggest need is a remaking of the North End of the stadium. I'd love to see armchair seats down there and a concourse at the top that affords a view of the action - not something that requires you to go outside to get a drink or visit a restroom.
I second this. It lowers capacity but makes for a better experience for the price. Probably easier to consistently sell out upper level seats if you make the experience nicer. At this time in my life if I’m choosing between our nose bleeds, crappy bathrooms and no concessions vs my 65” TV, a recliner, and a fridge full of cold ones, I’m staying home.

In a few years our baseball facility will be added to this list. We are still near the top but we are sliding there as well as most other SEC schools have renovated or built new including LSU, AM, Mizzou, Moo St, Florida, etc.
Baseball will need aesthetic changes, but not more seats. Maybe more comfortable seats, but not an increase in capacity - yet. A visitor's locker room/lounge under the 3B stands should have been done the first time, and needs to be added.

You can rest assured that we will absolutely fall behind. With few exceptions, we are very much reactionary when it comes to future planning.

You can rest assured that we will absolutely fall behind. With few exceptions, we are very much reactionary when it comes to future planning.
I can't dispute it, so probably what we will need is to see one or more rivalry programs move in this direction. What we need to wind up with is around 70,000 good seats and modern amenities.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
There's always going to be something to do. Our practice facility looks amazing right now, but it'll be middle of the pack in a few years.

I say this only halfway jokingly, but what we need in all our facilities are more points on our side of the scoreboard and fewer points on the opponent's side. All of the improvements mentioned above would be nice, but are you willing to pay even more for your tickets for those amenities, especially if the product on the field doesn't improve? Is there a Gamecock fan anywhere who did not go to our 2012 game against UGA because we didnt have cup-holders on our seats? Is there a Gamecock fan anywhere who enjoyed our Belk Bowl debacle because the seats were nice?

To be clear, I'm not against nice seats. But I think those types of improvements are largely smoke-and-mirror tricks used by athletic departments to squeeze more and more money out of fans because it's easier for them to replace the seats than improve the product on the field. At the end of the day, when we win a big game, my gameday experience was worth every penny. When we look like crap, there isn't anything you can do the stadium to make me feel good about the way I spent my money that day.

I say this only halfway jokingly, but what we need in all our facilities are more points on our side of the scoreboard and fewer points on the opponent's side. All of the improvements mentioned above would be nice, but are you willing to pay even more for your tickets for those amenities, especially if the product on the field doesn't improve? Is there a Gamecock fan anywhere who did not go to our 2012 game against UGA because we didnt have cup-holders on our seats? Is there a Gamecock fan anywhere who enjoyed our Belk Bowl debacle because the seats were nice?

To be clear, I'm not against nice seats. But I think those types of improvements are largely smoke-and-mirror tricks used by athletic departments to squeeze more and more money out of fans because it's easier for them to replace the seats than improve the product on the field. At the end of the day, when we win a big game, my gameday experience was worth every penny. When we look like crap, there isn't anything you can do the stadium to make me feel good about the way I spent my money that day.
I, for one, would greatly appreciate nicer seats at the Ballpark. I have ample leg room, but a bit wider and softer seat would be nice.

I'm not disputing the importance of winning. At any rate, we have to play somewhere. Where we play might as well be pleasing and appealing to the people who pay the ever-rising admission associated with Power Five football.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I can't dispute it, so probably what we will need is to see one or more rivalry programs move in this direction. What we need to wind up with is around 70,000 good seats and modern amenities.
Agree. When we have a product worth cheering for, our 70,000 is as loud as anyone. Not much, if any, home field advantage lost.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Agree. When we have a product worth cheering for, our 70,000 is as loud as anyone. Not much, if any, home field advantage lost.
A State of the Art facility could not hurt recruiting any. As late as the 1990s, I could see a day when a good team in Columbia could warrant 100,000 seats. But not only has our football success been spotty, but the attendance/affordability paradigm has changed. It could go back the other way, which I doubt, but this would not mitigate the need to modernize the stadium.

A State of the Art facility could not hurt recruiting any. As late as the 1990s, I could see a day when a good team in Columbia could warrant 100,000 seats. But not only has our football success been spotty, but the attendance/affordability paradigm has changed. It could go back the other way, which I doubt, but this would not mitigate the need to modernize the stadium.
Yeah, it definitely needs to be modernized for the reasons everyone has mentioned and more. I do wonder if the Covid year with limited to no attendance might have reawakened a desire for many fans to get out and enjoy the live atmosphere more. Not just here, but all over.

Time will tell, I guess.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Need to find someone to that knows how to operate our video score board. Need replays on screen when we are in replay time outs. During tv timeouts, other games could be on big screen. A lot more can be done with that board than is being done!! One more thing when they play sand storm can they please not start it at the beginning of a 3 minute tv timeout. Fans and students are board with it after 3 minutes of nothing happening on the field.

I'm not disputing the importance of winning. At any rate, we have to play somewhere. Where we play might as well be pleasing and appealing to the people who pay the ever-rising admission associated with Power Five football.
Sure, I get that. But it's worth noting that those improvements come with a price tag. The ever-rising price of admission you mentioned may not be stopped, but it would be nice if we could slow it down, at least until we have teams worth watching. We will find a 70,000 seat stadium difficult enough to sell out when we hit $200 per ticket, even in good years.

Last edited:
Sure, I get that. But it's worth noting that those improvements come with a price tag. The ever-rising price of admission you mentioned may not be stopped, but it would be nice if we could slow it down, at least until we have teams worth watching. We will find a 70,000 seat stadium difficult enough to sell out when we hit $200 per ticket, even in good years.
Then you get creative. TOSU has for years sold 3 game "season ticket" packages that allowed those who could not afford a full season package to go for 3 games. They simply divide the home games into several different packages usually with different prices for each (depending on opponents included in a particular package). TOSU had to start doing that because they had so many on a waiting list....but it also helps when costs for full season packages get too high.

Then you get creative. TOSU has for years sold 3 game "season ticket" packages that allowed those who could not afford a full season package to go for 3 games. They simply divide the home games into several different packages usually with different prices for each (depending on opponents included in a particular package). TOSU had to start doing that because they had so many on a waiting list....but it also helps when costs for full season packages get too high.
We do that too. But what I’d like to see is those offered to gamecock club members too, think they just offer them to the general public now. I know we get to buy single game tickets before the public but I can’t remember if we are ever offered the 3 game ticket packages? Maybe offer those to GC members too but give only so many points vs what you get for full season. Say 10 for buying a full season but 3 for buying the 3 game pack.

Yeah, it definitely needs to be modernized for the reasons everyone has mentioned and more. I do wonder if the Covid year with limited to no attendance might have reawakened a desire for many fans to get out and enjoy the live atmosphere more. Not just here, but all over.

Time will tell, I guess.

It might be for many fans, I did without it last year and I can this year as well. As you say, time will tell.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We do that too. But what I’d like to see is those offered to gamecock club members too, think they just offer them to the general public now. I know we get to buy single game tickets before the public but I can’t remember if we are ever offered the 3 game ticket packages? Maybe offer those to GC members too but give only so many points vs what you get for full season. Say 10 for buying a full season but 3 for buying the 3 game pack.
Agree. TOSU offers them to the Buckeye Club members. It helps increase the membership of the Buckeye Club and allows more fans to see them play. Win-Win for both.

You have to donate at the Scarlet & Gray level or above to qualify for 1 full (all games) season ticket. You have to have a second membership at that level or above to get a second full season ticket.

Last edited:
Reactions: robertfootball
I think that, with the product we currently have, your idea makes perfect sense. What TOSU does reflects demand that a superior product generates.

Reactions: robertfootball
I think that, with the product we currently have, your idea makes perfect sense. What TOSU does reflects demand that a superior product generates.
Yeah, giving 1 pt per season ticket is silly. Or maybe it’s 3? I can’t remember. It does nothing to encourage one to buy season tickets though. What was so expensive last year was you had to by 2 or 4 no matter what. I know why they had to do it but it was still expensive. They need to re-think the points system a bit, maybe get creative with getting more fans to join the GCC.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT