ADVERTISEMENT

Famous DOOK Cheer

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
Does anyone but me remember the old days when we were in the ACC and Duke was a major hated rival in basketball? When they came here the old Coliseum was rocking especially when the famous cheer broke out; "Beat Dook, Beat Dook, Beat-the-hell-outa Dook! of course there was refrain after refrain going on for a while. That cheer would break out about 10 times a game.

I hope the fans in Greenville will bring back that tradition tonight.

Does anyone but me remember the old days when we were in the ACC and Duke was a major hated rival in basketball? When they came here the old Coliseum was rocking especially when the famous cheer broke out; "Beat Dook, Beat Dook, Beat-the-hell-outa Dook! of course there was refrain after refrain going on for a while. That cheer would break out about 10 times a game.

I hope the fans in Greenville will bring back that tradition tonight.

I guess it's so famous nobody knows the cheer. Lol

The last year in the field house before EVERY home game, the student section chanted, "Beat Duke, Beat Duke, BEAT THE HELL OUTTA DUKE!

As a ten year old I asked my mother's permission to join in with the chant and cursing. Her response was priceless, "Sweetie, I want everyone to beat the hell outta Duke!"

Hey JGH, Kiki Harrigan sends in a musical request from Toby Keith... "how do you like me now?"

Last edited:
Similar experience at Furnan games when I was kid. FU 1 time. FU 2 times. FU 3 times. FU all the time.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The last year in the field house before EVERY home game, the student section chanted, "Beat Duke, Beat Duke, BEAT THE HELL OUTTA DUKE!

As a ten year old I asked my mother's permission to join in with the chant and cursing. Her response was priceless, "Sweetie, I want everyone to beat the hell outta Duke!"

Hey JGH, Kiki Harrigan sends in a musical request from Toby Keith... "how do you like me now?"
Well, I have to say I like her much better than I did a month ago. It wasn't that I thought she had no talent, it just appeared she was not giving near the level of effort that is required to compete. She looks like she is playing much harder now, going after loose balls and playing better defense.

I guess it's so famous nobody knows the cheer. Lol
Well, if the "22" is indicative of your age, you would not remember it - or much else for that matter. You had to be around in the late 60s and early 70s to have heard it. Once we dropped out of the ACC (you do know that we were once in the ACC, don't you?) there was no need for it anymore as it was team specific and we no longer played them. Get it?

I seem to remember another line to the cheer. Aw hell give em duke. That was in mid fifties.

Well, I have to say I like her much better than I did a month ago. It wasn't that I thought she had no talent, it just appeared she was not giving near the level of effort that is required to compete. She looks like she is playing much harder now, going after loose balls and playing better defense.
I think this was what you said and it clearly implies Kiki has no talent

I can't figure out why Dawn signed her and certainly don't know why she even plays her.

I think this was what you said and it clearly implies Kiki has no talent

I can't figure out why Dawn signed her and certainly don't know why she even plays her.

No it doesn't imply anything of the sort. It was lack of effort that I found disturbing. There is no way to gauge talent when a player does not give effort. If a player does not give 100% effort, it is puzzling as to why any coach would put them in the game. Hopefully, she will continue to give more effort so as to maximize her potential and contribute to the team. After about 3 games where she has shown more effort let's hope so, but the jury is still out on that.

I remember back in the 80's when the Duke Administration got onto the students about bad language at games, they began disagreeing with the officials by chanting "We beg to differ." I always thought that was funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT