ADVERTISEMENT

Fans, I am very conflicted right now about who our next football coach should be!

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I want a good clean ran football program for all Gamecock fans to point to as a source of pride. But, I also want to win some games, if it comes down to Beamer, Napier or Freeze I'm willing to give Freeze a chance. Because of the three aforementioned, I think Freeze would give us the best chance to win. We could also say, hey Liberty gave him a chance and his performance was outstanding for the Flames so we are going to give him a chance, too.

Last edited:
At this point, I would favor lower risk for an improved (but not championship) program. One that can go 50/50 in the SEC and win a few against Clemson (eventually). And, then, go from there.

The high risk / high upside approach only works if the upside is real. Otherwise, we are set back yet again. Recovering from another 3,4,5 years of sub-mediocrity or worse will be very painful.

At this point, I would favor lower risk for an improved (but not championship) program. One that can go 50/50 in the SEC and win a few against Clemson (eventually). And, then, go from there.

The high risk / high upside approach only works if the upside is real. Otherwise, we are set back yet again. Recovering from another 3,4,5 years of sub-mediocrity or worse will be very painful.

But who can even assure us of the above? I think we have to go with Freeze and take our chances.

Problem is Freeze apparently doesn’t want to come here

For the right kind of money I think he would come. But, if he is waiting on UT next year that job may not be available. And if he thinks LSU would give him one second of thought about being the head coach for the Bayou Bengals, Freeze is sadly mistaken.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Don't get me wrong, I want a good clean ran football program for all Gamecock fans to point to as a source of pride. But, I also want to win some games, if it comes down to Beamer, Napier or Freeze I'm willing to give Freeze a chance. Because of the three aforementioned, I think Freeze would give us the best chance to win. We could also say, hey Liberty gave him a chance and his performance was outstanding for the Flames so we are going to give him a chance, too.
Rest easy, my friend. It's like being conflicted about what you want the weather to be like tomorrow. It will be whatever it will be, regardless of what you want. Unless, of course, you know Tanner or Caslen personally and have some influence with them.

I’m NOT on board with Beamer. But we should hire him because his former players say so? Chadwell, Napier, and Elliott. One of the three are our man, imo.

You should relax. In the first place, you have no hand in the situation. In the second, you and I are too old to benefit for very long - if at all. Our day has passed. Let the young people worry and obsess.

We are NEVER TOO OLD to worry about our Gamecocks. Are at least I'm not! And you must be worried, too, otherwise you won't be on GCC posting every night. LOL!

Last edited:
Why would we want Herman? He turned us down last time. You think he has trouble at TEXAS but can win here LOL. Franklin doesnt want this job so thats not worth discussing.

It's neither here nor there at this point in time but wasn't LSU next in line for Herman if he had turned Texas down. In other words we would have been his 3rd choice if I'm not mistaken. It's just one of those things I am curious about.

Last edited:
Rest easy, my friend. It's like being conflicted about what you want the weather to be like tomorrow. It will be whatever it will be, regardless of what you want. Unless, of course, you know Tanner or Caslen personally and have some influence with them.

That is the attitude I should take that is for sure. After, literally, 60 years of being a Gamecock fan it's just hard for me to do. I have always thought that great team and program is just around the corner.

Reactions: Brace1
only years will tell us if we hired the best coach. look at texas they thought they had the best coach. also michigan and penn are scratching their heads, they fore sure thought they had the best coach.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It's neither here nor there at this point in time but wasn't LSU next in line for Herman if he had turned Texas down. In other words we would have been his 3rd choice if I'm not mistaken. It's just one of those things I was just curious about.
As i recall he had agreed in a handshake deal prior to us getting beat by....the citadel I think it was and he called the deal off the night of the loss

I’m still trying to get the fascination with Freeze. He was mediocre at Ole Miss while cheating and has beaten 2 teams with a winning record while at Liberty.

If your criteria is just someone who may have won at Ole Miss I’d rather pursue David Cutcliff. Essentially the same record there with no NCAA violations.

It's neither here nor there at this point in time but wasn't LSU next in line for Herman if he had turned Texas down. In other words we would have been his 3rd choice if I'm not mistaken. It's just one of those things I was just curious about.

That was the year after he turned us down after the Citadel loss. He used us to get a pay raise from Houston the next season.

LSU had a handshake agreement with Herman’s agent, thought it was a done deal.

Herman’s agent told Texas they had a verbal agreement with LSU, using that as leverage to get the Texas job.

I still think we could find other candidates too. Tom Herman or James Franklin may be looking for job.
Franklin or Herman, are you serious ? Yes, let hire another failed coach. Lets show the college football world how obstinate, and stubborn we are.

Reactions: NetworkX
That was the year after he turned us down after the Citadel loss. He used us to get a pay raise from Houston the next season.

LSU had a handshake agreement with Herman’s agent, thought it was a done deal.

Herman’s agent told Texas they had a verbal agreement with LSU, using that as leverage to get the Texas job.

So bottom line we were never going to get Herman back then, period, if I understand everything.

Herman would not be a failed coach in the context of us. He could do some good things here. Actually, Franklin could also.
We just fired a coach that failed at his previous job. Best way to not make that mistake again is to hire another coach that just failed at his previous job ? ? ?

We just fired a coach that failed at his previous job. Best way to not make that mistake again is to hire another coach that just failed at his previous job ? ? ?

It's a stretch to say he's a failure there. He has won 63% of his games.

The biggest problem he's facing is in-state recruiting. Don't really know what the issue is there. I actually think the Texas fans hurt themselves here. They complain so much about the program that it creates uncertainty for Herman's tenure and that naturally leads recruits to be apprehensive.

If Franklin “failed” here at the same rate he has “failed” at Penn State he would become out winningest coach.
His team is not looking too good right now. Has he lost his edge? I doubt Penn St fires him this year anyway.

Herman has not failed at his previous job. But their standards are otherworldly. That boy can motivate and he can coach. But why get worked up over it? He's not coming here. Beamer will be named shortly.

Herman has not failed at his previous job. But their standards are otherworldly. That boy can motivate and he can coach. But why get worked up over it? He's not coming here. Beamer will be named shortly.
You could be right, but I really hope you are not this time.

I agree with King Ward, it's Beamer. So, I would not sweat it. Beamer was the first name I heard from someone pretty plugged in to things. It was Beamer and Napier, in that order, that came out of my source's mouth. Beamer has been the front-runner from the get go. The others, I think, have been a smokescreen. Hopefully, Beamer will be like Secretariat at the Belmont, who led from start to finish. And by that I mean, will have an illustrious Hall Of Fame career here. Don't misunderstand: I strongly prefer someone with successful Head Coaching experience. Too many times, people get elevated to positions that they can't handle, positions that are bigger than them. You are dealing with more than just players. You are dealing with coaches, alumni, media, academics folks, etc. Hopefully, Beamer will be up to it. We will find out.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT