ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite opposing college football stadium you've ever visited

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
As a "narrow-minded" poster on here(only ever seen USC play at willie b) but also as someone who's looking to take in some games in these other stadiums when the little man is old enough in a few years. I'll ask the fans who've taken in some road games, which opposing team's stadium was your favorite?

When they do the lists, LSU and Florida tend to rank really high.

LSU hands down . Despite what you may have heard the fans are awesome and treat you like family OUTSIDE the stadium . Now once your inside it’s brutal but before and after they’re awesome . Been to every stadium in the SEC besides Kentucky and nothing compares to a night game in Baton Rouge . It’s just electric , nothing compares .

I'm not your typical fan but I have been to several away games. I actually look at what's to do outside of the football game. I love the Missouri trip since I stop on the way in St. Louis and then go to Kansas City as well.

I also liked Arkansas since we used to play them in early November and the leaves were peaking out there. Beautiful scenery.

Vandy has Nashville so there's that.

Kentucky has the Bourbon trail and the tracks plus they've recently renovated their stadium.

The rest are basically day trips I've did. Need to hit up AM, LSU, and Florida I guess.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
As a "narrow-minded" poster on here(only ever seen USC play at willie b) but also as someone who's looking to take in some games in these other stadiums when the little man is old enough in a few years. I'll ask the fans who've taken in some road games, which opposing team's stadium was your favorite?

Depends on what you’re looking for. I like Vandy just because it’s like watching us playing at a high school stadium.

I like Tennessee. Usually the fans are friendly and it’s a short drive. UGA & Florida are good atmospheres but the fans can be a pain in the rear and less family friendly.

Florida Field ( Ben Hill Griffin Stadium) is really loud when they’re good. One issue with there is the visitor section bumps up against the student section. Not ideal idea by them? Sanford Stadium is nice, but their upper, upper deck seating is like watching the game from a low flying plane!

Dead Valley is pretty good if you’re in the lower bowl. Their upper decks are the worst anywhere. Steep, uncomfortable, and terrible viewing for a football game!

LSU hands down. The best fan base I’ve ever met. Truly high quality people in Baton Rouge.

The rose bowl is beautiful,
the horseshoe is highly overrated other than the entrance and raising of the flag,
papa John’s stadium has excellent seating(not a single bad seat in the house),
the LA coliseum is almost 100 years old and it looks exactly like a run down 100 year old structure,
chapel hill stadium is nice and cozy, but small. Reminds me of the Ohio university stadium
Wolfpack stadium is on the small side, but nice other than the “don’t flush mini bottles” signs everywhere

if I’m close, I will go to a game for the stadium experience.

Awaiting wifes Covid test, she does not have it fingers crossed, but I have a lot of time. Here goes.

Florida for noise level, unmatched. Stadium itself is alright. Worst parking. Last parked in student's rental yard with 29 cars jammed in. Used bathroom in the rental. Quite an experience.

LSU for the extreme courtesy outside, extreme terror inside. Stadium alright too.

Tennessee fun, but it holds 79000 and they put 100000 in it. Narrow walkways.

NC State...loved the hill in the end zone and the extreme shortage of men's bathrooms that led us to go out at halftime and pee in the woods. Lot of interesting experiences there.

Grant Field, Ga Tech, built by engineers at an engineering school. Once had official seats behind one of the five foot wide concrete supports holding the upper deck up. Happily sold them to me.

Virginia Tech, great stone facades on campus and a Mount Everest high field crown. I swear front row seats below its summit. Maybe Beamer brings it here.

Ficklin Stadium East Carolina. Only place I've gone where the crowd's desperation to win matches ours.

Clemson, Georgia, Auburn. Alabama. Big, noisy, not pleasant, except for that War Eagle thing.(shhhh....Bear is long dead.)

Now, for a couple pleasant surprises. While Starkville is the dregs of municipal malaise, my last trip there I was pleasantly surprised how that smaller stadium has been incredibly improved. Outstanding use of video boards, music, and yeah, those cow bells. Great sight lines.

Georgia Dome. Gone now, but terrific, nice Stadium with all the amenities. Of course, the replacement is on my list to take that prize.

Finally, a bucket list "football" Stadium. Stade Olympico, Rome. Italy. Not Georgia. Massive, oval, ringed by well armed security, rowdies both end zones, away crowd cordoned off. From singing soccer songs in the subway and tram to the hot beer, dodging the smokers, watching the Roma fans send not nice cheers and gestures to the visitors to the massive flags, a truly European feast of soccer madness. And yeah, soccer may slow down, but an end zone cheap seat with the crazies watching a pass across field and a subsequent cross to the box is a moment. Now, to get to Everton when Covid subsides......

Not my video, but a taste of Roma Roma Roma...

Chapel Hill, Kenan Stadium, has the prettiest football setting I've ever personally seen.

Keenan Stadium in Chapel Hill is one of the prettiest stadiums in college football, but won't get many (any?) votes on this board..

Notre Dame in late September has to be next...
Agree, it is pretty, and collegiate. And the Carolina Blue adds a pleasant exclamation mark to the environs just as emphatically as that Clemson orange defaces the beauty around upstate SC.

For me, in the SEC, it is Kentucky for several reasons. First, I've always felt Commonwealth Stadium...to hell with that Kroger Field nonsense....was a clean stadium, with plenty of room in the concourses and around the stadium. Plus, it's always a nice drive through the Tennessee and Kentucky mountains to Lexington. It also doesn't hurt that we've won a lot there, and always seem to have a good crowd at the game.

Auburn is good, too, mainly because the fans are so nice. I've honestly never had a bad experience with an Auburn fan down there.

I've been to several outside the SEC, but Michigan was my favorite. Largest stadium in the country, although walking up to it you can't tell. About 2/3 of it is below ground level. I was there for the Ohio State game a few years back and the whole experience was something. It was cold...the contrast between the maize and scarlet...Hail to the Victors...and it's just a pretty, well maintained stadium.

The best stadium I've ever been to, though, is Lucas Oil Stadium. Plenty of concourse space, great concession choices, all chairback seating. The stadium was built to look like an old school Indiana fieldhouse and it is appealing inside and out.

I’ve been to all SEC stadiums and many others and my three favorites outside of LSU are Michigan, Oregon and Penn State. Michigan fans were so nice when we visited. Once they found out we were from the SEC, they kept asking our opinion about everything. Big 10 stadiums in general are impressive with their pregame festivities and Michigan did a great job honoring former players. Their museum, which is next to the stadium is also a cool place to visit on game day. Oregon at night was amazing. The fans were really into the game and the excitement never died down. Penn State during the white out was about as good as it gets. It was hard to think with the noise and the fans were very rowdy before and after the game.

An honorable mention goes to WVU. Morgantown at night in the cold is a completely different experience. Their fans are right on par with LSU if you ask me.

As a Clemson grad and USC postgrad, I have had some awesome memories at WB, wins and losses. 1987 stands out as a game we lost but had a great gameday. Raleigh has become a favorite. It's an awesome town and 2015 and 2017 games were dogfights. Charlottesville always a great trip. Tally is big time football, though not lately. Winless at Bobby Dodd going back to 1970. I pick bad years. Keenan is lovely but not scary. A&M was insanity. Plus Snow's BBQ. Son went to Syracuse in 2019 and said it was fantastic.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

LSU hands down. Noone is crying when the cups are flying. The pregame tailgating is second to none.

For me, in the SEC, it is Kentucky for several reasons. First, I've always felt Commonwealth Stadium...to hell with that Kroger Field nonsense....was a clean stadium, with plenty of room in the concourses and around the stadium. Plus, it's always a nice drive through the Tennessee and Kentucky mountains to Lexington. It also doesn't hurt that we've won a lot there, and always seem to have a good crowd at the game.

Auburn is good, too, mainly because the fans are so nice. I've honestly never had a bad experience with an Auburn fan down there.

I've been to several outside the SEC, but Michigan was my favorite. Largest stadium in the country, although walking up to it you can't tell. About 2/3 of it is below ground level. I was there for the Ohio State game a few years back and the whole experience was something. It was cold...the contrast between the maize and scarlet...Hail to the Victors...and it's just a pretty, well maintained stadium.

The best stadium I've ever been to, though, is Lucas Oil Stadium. Plenty of concourse space, great concession choices, all chairback seating. The stadium was built to look like an old school Indiana fieldhouse and it is appealing inside and out.

Now I did get to go see Lucas Oil Stadium back in 2014, I was in Indy for a job interview at the time, got to see Kentucky vs Louisville and Tennessee vs Michigan.

As a Clemson grad and USC postgrad, I have had some awesome memories at WB, wins and losses. 1987 stands out as a game we lost but had a great gameday. Raleigh has become a favorite. It's an awesome town and 2015 and 2017 games were dogfights. Charlottesville always a great trip. Tally is big time football, though not lately. Winless at Bobby Dodd going back to 1970. I pick bad years. Keenan is lovely but not scary. A&M was insanity. Plus Snow's BBQ. Son went to Syracuse in 2019 and said it was fantastic.

When I played high school ball in Virginia, 2 district rivals we used to play were Charlottesville High, and Monticello High, that trip into Charlottesville on I-64 to play either one of them going through the mountains, now that's some scenery to look at.

My favorite stadium has to be Bryant Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa. What an atmosphere, outside they have Bear Bryant Museum, lots of bars and clubs. Inside the stadium, truly a setup the NFL would need to copy, nice scoreboards, views from almost every point in the stadium is awesome, (looks like they copied some of the nice view points from WB) fans in a whole are good, like everywhere its the home team. Truly worth the trip and the price of admission.

Keenan Stadium in Chapel Hill is one of the prettiest stadiums in college football, but won't get many (any?) votes on this board..

TURN off on Chapel Hill is there is absolutely no parking. Stadium is okay but the stadium I enjoyed was Wolfpack Stadium. Mezzanine and bathrooms are so well designed that we could take a cue from them at WB.

Nebraska hands down, there for the game in 1987 I think it was, on game day was in a line to park in this area and the person in charge came up to my car, had my Carolina flags on, she asked me where I was going and told her this lot to park. Shes said you cant park in there, that's Nebraska scholarship only. Then she looked at the long line and traffic and said what the heck, go on in. Went in the area and time we drove up Nebraska fans covered us up. They were real friendly, asked us about the south and some even gave us food. Good folks in the Mid West

Last edited:
Keenan Stadium in Chapel Hill is certainly very nice. So is Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, as well as Lane Stadium in Blacksburg.

I enjoyed watching us play in the Big House at Michigan as well as Notre Dame stadium, but damn that was so many years ago.

I did visit the stadium in Lincoln Nebraska, although not for a game. When we attended the College World Series, we stayed in Lincoln near the stadium. It did look like a great venue, as did the entire town.

This doesn't have anything to do with opposing stadiums, but one thing I used to enjoy the day after a road game was the drive home, seeing other fans with their car flags and magnets. It was nice to enjoy a bit of highway camaraderie. It was also fun, say, the Sunday after a road game at Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee...wherever....driving home and stopping somewhere to eat...usually at a Cracker Barrel....and having a bunch of Carolina fans there as well.

Florida Field ( Ben Hill Griffin Stadium) is really loud when they’re good. One issue with there is the visitor section bumps up against the student section. Not ideal idea by them? Sanford Stadium is nice, but their upper, upper deck seating is like watching the game from a low flying plane!

Dead Valley is pretty good if you’re in the lower bowl. Their upper decks are the worst anywhere. Steep, uncomfortable, and terrible viewing for a football game!

You hit the nail on the head all the way around. I once posted on Dawgvent that Sanford Stadium's upper upper deck should be renamed 'The Stratosphere' - the 'Vent went ballistic! LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
LSU for the awesome fans and game atmosphere. Their traveling “ pimp nation” bring the fun with them. Vol dans were nice but the 12 inch wide seats suck. Ben Hill Griffin gets honorable mention for. the Co-Ed’s. Vandy is smaller than some Texas HS Stadia. App State, Furman and Western Carolina in the fall for. The views

Keenan Stadium is the Tennessee of the acc. In 2006 we bought 11 seats together, at least three of our group sat in the aisle due to width of the buttocks area. Pitiful, the setting is nice though.

Keenan Stadium is the Tennessee of the acc. In 2006 we bought 11 seats together, at least three of our group sat in the aisle due to width of the buttocks area. Pitiful, the setting is nice though.

Well, now they have chairback seating throughout the stadium, so if your butt don't fit, it's your own fault 🤣

Something we should do, at least for the lower bowl...

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I have been to The Swamp (Florida), Sanford (Georgia)< Vaught Hemingway (Ole Miss), Keenan (UNC), Wallace Wade (Duke), East Carolina, Bobby Dodd (Ga Tech), Bryant Denny (Bama). My favorite out of those is The Swamp, loudest stadium I have ever been in. Fortunetly I was there in 2014 when we blocked a punt and a field goal and won in OT. The stadium is built to keep the noise in, and the visitor's section is not bad. Georgia's stadium is impressive and loud, and on campus, but the parking and the fans are atrocious. Love the locations of Tennessee's stadium being right on the river, but they cram 100,000 people in a stadium meant to hold 80,000. The aisles and walkways are tiny. They really need to update the whole stadium. I loved Ole Miss's stadium, a complete bowl that holds around 60,000. Their fans remind me of our's. they love to tailgate and are gracious in defeat. The grove is worth seeing. Parking is a pain, and you have to find a place off campus and be prepared to walk. I haven't been to Bama's stadium since the mid 70's, so I can only say it was on campus and big. UNC's Keenan is very picturesque. You cannot see it on campus because of the tree's.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT