ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite play all time in Rivalry history...

DaTater

Jan 30, 2018
Whats some of you guy's favorite plays from the history of our football series?

Im sure Swearinger's hit on Ellington will get a lot of votes.

From my side, I'm partial to Mike Williams giving Jamarcus King a ride into the end zone.

Lets get some banter going.

Last edited:
I will go with a sleeper, Im not sure its my all all time favorite but interesting one,I was there, Jad Dean's miss in 2006 was a fun day in the Valley.

It was a strange game, Clemson kept scoring on explosion plays, we seemed to have the ball forever and then Clemson would get it and score on a 80 yard play.

I still have a signed Spurrier football with my name on it from with that game's score, some sort of fund raiser?

My kids always want to play with it and I'm like do not touch that pc of priceless memorabilia

Screen-Shot-2016-09-12-at-8.36.34-PM.jpg

7677977.jpg

I will go with a sleeper, I was there, Jad Dean's miss in 2006 was a fun day in the Valley.

It was a strange game, Clemson kept scoring on explosion plays, we seemed to have the ball forever and then Clemson would get it and score on a 80 yard play.

I still have a signed Spurrier football with my name on it from with that game's score, some sort of fund raiser?

My kids always want to play with it and I'm like do not touch that pc of priceless memorabilia

Screen-Shot-2016-09-12-at-8.36.34-PM.jpg

7677977.jpg
have season tickets, so I was there too. Why we stopped giving the ball to Reggie Merriweather is something I still can’t comprehend.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
have season tickets, so I was there too. Why we stopped giving the ball to Reggie Merriweather is something I still can’t comprehend.

yeah and the next year, you could bring up, making the field goal in Columbia, the teams were pretty even 2005 -2007, margin of victory was 9 total pts over those 3 years

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Whats some of you guy's favorite plays for the history of our football series?

From my side, I'm partial to Mike Williams giving Jamarcus King a ride into the end zone.

Brandon Bennett receiving the 2nd Half kickoff and throwing back across the field to Reggie Richardson, who proceeded to haul-ass up the field for what appeared to be a Carolina touchdown.

Meanwhile, Bob Fulton, who was being honored on the field for his career service as the radio voice of the Gamecocks and experiencing his last Carolina-Clemson game, was on his way back up to the press box as the call was made by Tommy "I'm a color commentator and wasn't really prepared for this big moment" Suggs.

The play was beautifully executed. The call on the radio, not so much. But, it was the best overall entertainment I have ever witnessed in more than 40 years of the rivalry.

Almost forgot about Charlie "Fleet foot" Whitehurst's scramble to lock up that ball game.

Of Course, I know Dylan "Lightfoot" Thompson returned the favor a few years later.

Whats some of you guy's favorite plays for the history of our football series?

Favorite play in football series was Pharoh Cooper's pass, but favorite play in the rivalry is different. It's not even close. That's Michael Roth striking out John Hinson.

Because Carolina made adjustments on defense during the drive.

The one and only series that Stephon Gilmore took at QB for the first of our five bomb streak. CJ Spiller ran back the opening kickoff and then Garcia stalled on out first drive. Gilmore should have gotten more snaps here.

That time we ran up the middle on 3rd and 1 and got the 1st down . Yep, good times , good times.

Nope...Bowden took him out...he was unstoppable and Tommy Bowden took him out....

Took him freaking out...

Wow...someone sure is salty in this thread. :rolleyes:

I still cringe each time I hear Merriweather's name...because I know the discussion that's about to happen...

My favorite play in the series would be the 1st Underwood interception back in 1980. You guys were about to score and would have probably coasted to a win, but that play changed the game. Underwood had an open field in front of him but Rogers came from the complete opposite side of the field and ran him down. Underwood later had another interception that went for a touchdown but it was the first that changed the game. I think I read that those were the only two interceptions he had in his career. First game in orange pants...I was a sophomore sitting in the 1st row of the upper deck.

wtbryigMember
New

Nope...Bowden took him out...he was unstoppable and Tommy Bowden took him out....

Took him freaking out...

Here’s an individual that doesn’t understand football. The defense adjusted and Clemson had to attack a different way. Why don’t you ask Bowden, why he took him out?

We had the ball inside the ten merryweathers was gaining 5 pop

Mike Hold handing the ball to the refrigerator Perry.
Yea this was it. I was young and was listening on the radio. Had to wait for the news to come on to see video of it. I dont think it was on tv because Clemson was on probation I think.

The kick off lateral while Brad Scot was coach was pretty cool although we ended up getting smashed the rest of the game.

Whats some of you guy's favorite plays from the history of our football series?

580553dddbf5d.image.jpg

/sarcasm

I was living with a Clempson alumni friend during this game. We were so disgusted with both teams that we turned it off and went outside to smoke a cigar.

Oh the Reggie Meriwether debate!!

After this can we do Rod Gardner did/didn't push off??

wtbryigMember
New

Here’s an individual that doesn’t understand football. The defense adjusted and Clemson had to attack a different way. Why don’t you ask Bowden, why he took him out?

Ok....Prior to the final drive, Spiller had carried the ball 6 times for 116 yards. Davis had carried the ball 7 times for 14 yards. Merriweather had the fresh legs at the end of the game with no carries.

The final drive Spiller carried the ball 4 times for 39 yards. Merriweather came in and carried the ball 3 times for 23 yards. This carried us to the 17 yard line with 2 minutes left. Davis then came in, who had struggled the whole game and carried the ball 4 straight times for 5 yards. This put us in a passing situation, QB was sacked back at the 22 and you know the rest.

Freshman Year- Holloman pick > Alshon TD to ice it
Sophomore Year- Thompson scramble > Ellington TD to ice it
Junior Year- Pharoh jump-pass to Wilds to ice it

Hard to really pick between those. Each had a different sub-plot that made it pretty sweet.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Yea this was it. I was young and was listening on the radio. Had to wait for the news to come on to see video of it. I dont think it was on tv because Clemson was on probation I think.

The kick off lateral while Brad Scot was coach was pretty cool although we ended up getting smashed the rest of the game.

No, we did not.

The final score of that game was 33-6; Carolina won.

[EDIT] Upon further review, you may be correct ... that is, if you are a Clemson fan.

Last edited:
Freshman Year- Holloman pick > Alshon TD to ice it
Sophomore Year- Thompson scramble > Ellington TD to ice it
Junior Year- Pharoh jump-pass to Wilds to ice it

Hard to really pick between those. Each had a different sub-plot that made it pretty sweet.

love them all, Spurrier was goating them all day with Pharoh in the wild cat, and when he pulled up to throw it, I yelled "UH OH !" & then the castle erupted !!!!!!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
The hit on Cory Boyd when he fumbled the opening kickoff in 04. Big hit in an already amped up environment.

Reactions: DaTater
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT