ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite play all time in Rivalry history...

I remember Carolina kicked a very short field goal at the end of the game. Klemptons head coach Red Parker accused Jim Carlen of trying to embarrass them. Carlen said if I was trying to embarrass you I would have punted.

"Im sure Swearinger's hit on Ellington will get a lot of votes."

On that play, initially I was mad because of the 15 yard penalty, which was well-deserved. The game still hung in the balance at the time, and handing away a first down was tough. However, the true impact of the Swearinger hit was that Ellington was a complete non-factor the rest of the way. He may have been concussed, and in today's world they would have put him through the protocol, but he sure played like a shell of himself from then on.

Is anyone old enough to remember Cocks running an option play and throwing it back to Tommy Suggs for a critical first down in a Gamecock victory at the cow pasture. I don't remember the year but I think Suggs was a senior.

My favorite play could be several from '84 (3rd and 16 completion for 17 yards on final drive, Morrison taking 3 points off the board and running a trap on an untimed play just before the half for a TD, Eppley inexplicably fading back into the end zone to take a totally unnecessary sack) but for sheer drama I'll go with Dylan Thompson's QB draw (who knew we even had that play in the playbook with him as QB) because it took him forever to get there. You literally went from "Well, we're playing for the field goal" to "Gosh, he's got an open field in front of him" to "Is he trying to NOT get the first down?" to "He just WON the game"!

On that play, initially I was mad because of the 15 yard penalty, which was well-deserved. The game still hung in the balance at the time, and handing away a first down was tough. However, the true impact of the Swearinger hit was that Ellington was a complete non-factor the rest of the way. He may have been concussed, and in today's world they would have put him through the protocol, but he sure played like a shell of himself from then on.

Not to mention the mental impact... That hit was a figurative castration of their entire team

Wish we had that kind of fire/swagger now. Guess winning/being competitive helps.

Reactions: pettyw
Not to mention the mental impact... That hit was a figurative castration of their entire team

Wish we had that kind of fire/swagger now. Guess winning/being competitive helps.

EVERYONE knew it was over at that point. Little Man and I both jumped up on that one. We high fived each other in the living room.

#HTTR

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Jad dean miss. Anytime taters think they are gonna win all game and lose at the very end is a favorite of mine.

Probably the most relief I felt was Thompson’s pass to Ellington to seal the game in Death Valley. Now that the game is over and won there are many from that game. It was perfect because Clemson thought they had us with Shaw out. It’s great watching Thompson convert the 3rd and long.

It wasn’t a great play or anything but Garcia’s pass to Wesley Saunders to seal the game in 2009 was awesome too. That win was pretty unexpected. It was over at that point and just fun to watch.

Shaw had some plays in 2011 at Williams-Brice that had to frustrate Clemson fans...which always makes me smile. I definitely miss the days of a 5-Game winning streak against them. Hopefully we can keep them from getting one of their own this year, and start one for ourselves.

Another play that wasn’t fancy but huge was Corey Jenkins 1 yard TD run to beat Clemson in 2001. We were on a 4 game losing streak to them and hadn’t beaten them at Williams-Brice in 14 years (‘87). Most of us forgot what it had felt like to beat Clemson at home. Plus it felt nice to get the win after the heartbreak from “The Pushoff” the year before.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Another play that wasn’t fancy but huge was Corey Jenkins 1 yard TD run to beat Clemson in 2001. We were on a 4 game losing streak to them and hadn’t beaten them at Williams-Brice in 14 years (‘87). Most of us forgot what it had felt like to beat Clemson at home. Plus it felt nice to get the win after the heartbreak from “The Pushoff” the year before.

ef1566a3bf3a1179cfacc17afd0d010b_zpsws5ovp4t.jpg

I remember Carolina kicked a very short field goal at the end of the game. Klemptons head coach Red Parker accused Jim Carlen of trying to embarrass them. Carlen said if I was trying to embarrass you I would have punted.
Not in '75. No punts or FGs. Last TD called back for offensive PI. 56-7.

Edit: correction: 56-20.

Last edited:
Is anyone old enough to remember Cocks running an option play and throwing it back to Tommy Suggs for a critical first down in a Gamecock victory at the cow pasture. I don't remember the year but I think Suggs was a senior.
Don't remember a throwback but it was 7-3 in 1968. Tyler Hellams punt return for a TD. Suggs was a Jr.

Don't remember a throwback but it was 7-3 in 1968. Tyler Hellams punt return for a TD. Suggs was a Jr.
I was sitting on the hill. Sammy Cain , a friend of mine was the punter for Klempton.

He didnt. end of story. lol

He interfered 2x:

#1) He closelined Goodman 2 plays earlier when ya’ll ran the same play. Dantzler underthrew the pass, and Goodman was set to intercept the pass.

#2) he pushed off big time. Any time a receiver has his hands on a defender trying to get separation, and fully extends his arm, it’s offensive PI every time ... except that one! You guys used to complain that Alshon Jeffery pushed off all the time yet still insist that Gardner did not push off.

#2) he pushed off big time. Any time a receiver has his hands on a defender trying to get separation, and fully extends his arm, it’s offensive PI every time ... except that one! You guys used to complain that Alshon Jeffery pushed off all the time yet still insist that Gardner did not push off.[/QUOTE]

So in regards to #2, was Alston committing offensive PI?

I don't remember the year but Scott Wingos father played db for them the Klempton announcers called him wee willie Wingo . I grew up with Bill Wingo Scotts father. Red Parker was the coach for Klempton. We might have missed the fg but I distinctly remember the quote from parker and Carlen
If you're talking about 1975 it was 56-20 but the rest of my post was right. We scored a TD on every posession but the last one didn't count. It was 4th down and they called opi in the end zone and Clemson got the ball.

Last edited:
#2) he pushed off big time. Any time a receiver has his hands on a defender trying to get separation, and fully extends his arm, it’s offensive PI every time ... except that one! You guys used to complain that Alshon Jeffery pushed off all the time yet still insist that Gardner did not push off.

So in regards to #2, was Alston committing offensive PI?[/QUOTE]

Who is Alston?

Yes, I felt the same way. Stupid stupid stupid! And he got a penalty on a later play after scoring a touchdown as well for unsportsmanlike or celebration... But Swearinger turned the game. Clem's whole team played scared after that hit and flex. He showed they wanted to avoid him because he was a beast that would not be contained, and they played scared of him.

My favorite play is the first sack I saw Clowney get on Tajh. Just slung him to the ground like a rag doll. I can only imagine the amount of force generated to toss him like that because Tajh isn't a small man.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I forgot Dickie Harris interception in the end zone against Georgia and he returned it 105 yards for a TD.

So in regards to #2, was Alston committing offensive PI?[/QUOTE]

Alshon used his hands for sure, but didn’t usually fully extend. I recall that he did get called for it once vs Ark in WB. They replayed it several times, and had a full discussion on what was offensive PI and what wasn’t. The defining action was full extension of the arm(s). It is undeniable that Gardner was fully extended... and as I said before there was also the clothesline 2 plays earlier. The official must have been daydreaming or something. I have no idea where his mind was. Watch it on You Tube if you don’t believe me. After Goodman gets taken down, you see him get up, and ask the official why he didn’t throw the flag.

So in regards to #2, was Alston committing offensive PI?

Alshon used his hands for sure, but didn’t usually fully extend. I recall that he did get called for it once vs Ark in WB. They replayed it several times, and had a full discussion on what was offensive PI and what wasn’t. The defining action was full extension of the arm(s). It is undeniable that Gardner was fully extended... and as I said before there was also the clothesline 2 plays earlier. The official must have been daydreaming or something. I have no idea where his mind was. Watch it on You Tube if you don’t believe me. After Goodman gets taken down, you see him get up, and ask the official why he didn’t throw the flag.[/QUOTE]

i was just giving you a hard time. Its one of those plays that if it goes for you, its great. If you are on the other end, its terrible.

2016...the intentional offsides by the defense with 3:00 min to go in the game that allowed our Senior defensive players to get the standing ovation from the Tiger fans ;);)

My first game in clemson.. a rude introduction
Spencer Clark’s 77 yard touchdown scamper that put Carolina ahead of Clemson late in the fourth quarter of the 1977 game. However, Steve Fuller led Clemson down the field much to the dismay of the Carolina faithful. Clemson WR Jerry Butler made one of the best catches that I have ever seen.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Jad Dean miss , we were in the upper deck and all eyes were on the refs bc we couldn’t tell but when the defense came running towards the sidelines , everything erupted.

Earlier in the 1987 game Clemson was up 7-6 And neither team could do much with the opposing defenses. The Ellis to Ryan Beatha all the way down to the 7. Harold Greene did the rest. Then Rodney chant began. That was a very cold and late game. As a 14 year old I was in love with all of it. Williams Brice was like a Concrete Roman Colosseum then. Mediocre team and the most hostile I've ever seen the stadium. Gamecock Beauty. Everyone around me was bombed. Awesome

Mutts say "it ain't no rivalry" but Georgia schools don't teach the meaning of double negatives.

Double call Bob Fulton and Larry Munson

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Whats some of you guy's favorite plays from the history of our football series?

Im sure Swearinger's hit on Ellington will get a lot of votes.

From my side, I'm partial to Mike Williams giving Jamarcus King a ride into the end zone.

Lets get some banter going.

HOLD that Tiger. Clemson was number one, but that day they smelled like number two.

Earlier in the 1987 game Clemson was up 7-6 And neither team could do much with the opposing defenses. The Ellis to Ryan Beatha all the way down to the 7. Harold Greene did the rest. Then Rodney chant began. That was a very cold and late game. As a 14 year old I was in love with all of it. Williams Brice was like a Concrete Roman Colosseum then. Mediocre team and the most hostile I've ever seen the stadium. Gamecock Beauty. Everyone around me was bombed. Awesome

1987 was no mediocre team. Talent wise maybe the best ever. But I’m with you on the rest!

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Freshman Year- Holloman pick > Alshon TD to ice it
Sophomore Year- Thompson scramble > Ellington TD to ice it
Junior Year- Pharoh jump-pass to Wilds to ice it

Hard to really pick between those. Each had a different sub-plot that made it pretty sweet.

You lived a charmed life in college. I got the push off game and 21 losses in a row. Of course we won in 2001, when I graduated.

Went back for grad school and saw 63-17.

Reactions: Pole
The one and only series that Stephon Gilmore took at QB for the first of our five bomb streak. CJ Spiller ran back the opening kickoff and then Garcia stalled on out first drive. Gilmore should have gotten more snaps here.

This is a great point. I often wondered why Gilmore didn’t get more snaps at QB. He was good enough and athletic enough to help us at QB when Garcia was erratic for whatever reason.

Mutts say "it ain't no rivalry" but Georgia schools don't teach the meaning of double negatives.

Double call Bob Fulton and Larry Munson

Larry Munson's call was classic.
"A great athlete leaped over the pile and broke our hearts with 2 seconds to go."

I miss Bob, Larry, & Jim Phillips. They were great ones.

Reactions: wtbryig
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT