ADVERTISEMENT

Feature on Dawn in GQ

20210527_CoachStaley_GQ_01956.jpg

Great profile. Didn’t realize that DS was considered such a disciplinarian coach.
I've heard that for years. She has been quoted often about this "no young person will tell her how to run her program" and it has been used against her in recruiting. Don't think she minds at this stage and she shouldn't. She has found a balance of nonsense during practice and games but have fun when appropriate.

Great article. My two favorite parts:

"Dawn finally rolls up in a tricked out Mercedes AMG G-Wagon in black matte paint and crispy, chrome finishes with dual twin turbo exhausts. You know it’s her by the license plate: It reads “2017 National Champion,” extolling the second ever NCAA basketball title won by a Black woman coach."

and

"
The last time I came to South Carolina, Ray Tanner, the school’s athletic director and two-time national champion baseball coach, told me that Dawn would one day surpass him. Behind closed doors, she told Tanner, promised him, really, that she’d win more national championships than him. She has one so far, which is one more than any Black woman other than Carolyn Peck (with Purdue in 1999), thanks to years of racism keeping them sidelined from the coach’s chair. “I would like to have a few more championships,” she says. I ask her if she’s finally ready to claim her throne as the best in the sport. “I feel like it's our time, I do. I feel like we built for this moment,” she says. Even for a national championship? ““Yeah,” she says. “That’s the goal. That’s what we want. I do think we’re ready for the challenge of being that team. And if you're gonna look at the leader of it, yes, I'm ready. I'm ready for whatever.

“I'm never scared.”"

Reactions: winloseortie
Doesn't ownership and management earn more than labor in every industry and business?
Yes!!! That’s the whole point I was making. Saying basketball isn’t racist because the labor is African American ignores the dynamic of who has power and makes EVEN more money. And Management is over whelmingly not African American.

Apples and oranges. Not taking anything away from Staley, but it's easier to be more successful in women's sports if a school commits to it. Many schools and their fanbases just don't care about it. Much harder to be successful in most men's sports because that's what most fanbases really care about.

Reactions: UtahGamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT