ADVERTISEMENT

Fellows and Ladies, I've Reached My End...

king ward

Aug 10, 1999
Lancaster, SC
...of obsession over this pandemic, the politics surrounding it, and the constant roiling debate over what should be done, who is to blame, which party is acting more responsibly - the lot of it. This stance is borne, not out of indifference, but rather a need to act for the furtherance of my mental and spiritual health. In short, I need to pray more and argue less. I need to chill.

I'll be around to discuss sports if sports ever reemerges as the chief interest of the board. Meanwhile, I wish for all of you, you families, and your cherished friends, God's richest blessing as as we move toward the inevitable passing of this crisis, hopefully sooner than later.

God bless.

...of obsession over this pandemic, the politics surrounding it, and the constant roiling debate over what should be done, who is to blame, which party is acting more responsibly - the lot of it. This stance is borne, not out of indifference, but rather a need to act for the furtherance of my mental and spiritual health. In short, I need to pray more and argue less. I need to chill.

I'll be around to discuss sports if sports ever reemerges as the chief interest of the board. Meanwhile, I wish for all of you, you families, and your cherished friends, God's richest blessing as as we move toward the inevitable passing of this crisis, hopefully sooner than later.

God bless.

I would certainly agree we all need to pray more.

Came to that exact decision myself this morning. I have also become quite disillusioned with people, the media, the majority of politicians. I feel like we’re living the Hunger Games movie (no pun intended).

Prayer and trust in what one believes is right, versus belief based on who or what one does or does not “like.”

Agree 100%. This forum in its sports mode could bring me information and a chuckle from time to time. In its current mode, it simply represents the worst of people. Check back in with y'all when sports returns.
Yep, the verbal savagery has become overwhelming. Some folks have adopted politics as their religion, and it's becoming the Mideast of message boards. Neverending warfare. Eventually, we all tune out.

Reactions: pisgah and PC31
King, I am worried about our depth at WR & TE, oh and will Ryan Hilinski take a noticeable step forward (and hopefully have 2 healthy knees).

Replacing our all american punter worries me a little too.
I am maybe fooling myself into thinking we have some size and depth and speed on defense, but I sorta trust that side of the ball, and if we can have some offensive drives that last longer than 48 seconds, they have a chance to be a difference maker and give us a chance at 7(or more ) wins.

God bless.

I would like to start a football, golf, ladies basketball type thread with you ;) like we used to talk about .

Reactions: king ward
I intend to play golf this weekend. Probably in a threesome. Probably cart path only after this rain so that close proximity with others will be limited.

We played Oak Hills this past Saturday and it was great, & the cart path restrictions were lifted. My game was off primarily to some poor putting & where I usually land in the low 80s, 92 was the out come with about 6 consecutive bogey tap ins. Lots of 2 putts, and some 3...... :(

We played Oak Hills this past Saturday and it was great, & the cart path restrictions were lifted. My game was off primarily to some poor putting & where I usually land in the low 80s, 92 was the out come with about 6 consecutive bogey tap ins. Lots of 2 putts, and some 3...... :(
I always liked that course. Back when the S.C. Lung Association sold those coupon books that got you on golf courses all over the state at reduced rates, we who worked at the Bowater plant near Rock Hill used to come down on off days and play Oak Hills, Indian River, Northwoods, and other Columbia area courses. I thought they all had things to commend them. I really enjoyed Oak Hills. They did a great job building a very playable course on some very rocky property.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
King, I am worried about our depth at WR & TE, oh and will Ryan Hilinski take a noticeable step forward (and hopefully have 2 healthy knees).

Replacing our all american punter worries me a little too.
I am maybe fooling myself into thinking we have some size and depth and speed on defense, but I sorta trust that side of the ball, and if we can have some offensive drives that last longer than 48 seconds, they have a chance to be a difference maker and give us a chance at 7(or more ) wins.

We will return all of our OL with the exception of Stanley, with two very good anchors at the tackle positions, so that position should be as much of a strength for us as any. We have depth at TE in terms of bodies - Muse may lead the way, but Kenion, Mullins, and Toney will see action. Don't know what to expect of any of them, however.

We return veteran experience in the Smiths and Vann, and there have been good things mentioned about Leggette, Johnson, and freshman Wyman. Muse only played 8 games but was a solid target so he'll contribute to the receiving.

I have no idea about the punting duties - place-kicking should be solid with White and Woznick.

As for Hilinski, he came in so highly touted, then had to be our starter before he was ready, and ended up having to play injured most of the season. That was waaay too much for his first season at USC, but IMO he showed just how good of a leader he can be for us if he actually gets a chance to be prepared and healthy. I think he'll end up being one of our best QBs ever. He'll have Hill and Doty to back him up, although hopefully Doty will be able to keep his red-shirt on.

We do have size and talent on the defensive side, although our defense has yet to step forward under Muschamp's and Robinson's tutelage. If we don't make a substantial move forward on defense at least, then the last aspect of Muschamp I give him some credit for, will fade away for me.....

God bless.

Great post and a good reminder. I've gotten into too many back and forths recently too.

I'm a little disappointed though... I didn't have to Google a single word in your post.
:(

Any of the golf courses closed temporarily in your area?
Not to my knowledge. On top of that, my brother, who lives at MB, and works at the Marriott Resort, told me the courses down there were balls to the wall last week. Grab and go meals at the turn; no raking bunkers; no pulling the pin. Do you know of any course closings due to this?

Great post and a good reminder. I've gotten into too many back and forths recently too.

I'm a little disappointed though... I didn't have to Google a single word in your post.
:(
LOL ,i used to do the same thing on KW words...now i pretend i know what he meant.

God bless.
Agreed, King. I find myself skipping over any thread with a political-themed title at this time. It looks like there are some people on this forum who are barely hanging on to their sanity during this stressful time and, as somebody said above, their politics have become their religion. There's nothing to be gained from jumping into vitriolic political "debates," especially during these times.

There's not a lot of sports-related stuff to talk about, but the threads about movies or other ways to pass time during a virus shut-down can be interesting diversions.

Not to my knowledge. On top of that, my brother, who lives at MB, and works at the Marriott Resort, told me the courses down there were balls to the wall last week. Grab and go meals at the turn; no raking bunkers; no pulling the pin. Do you know of any course closings due to this?
I mostly play the Santee courses but I know Hillcrest Golf Club in Orangeburg has closed until April 1.

I intend to play golf this weekend. Probably in a threesome. Probably cart path only after this rain so that close proximity with others will be limited.
I may do some shooting tomorrow. I reloaded some .444 Marlin during some down time over the weekend. I've never been big on lever-actions, but I took my dad's old Marlin out to the range recently and it was loads of fun. There's something about shooting several rounds, as fast as you can, from a big-bore lever action that is really fun. It felt very cowboyish. Also, those big holes it puts in the paper are easier to see from a distance with my aging eyes.

Agreed, King. I find myself skipping over any thread with a political-themed title at this time. It looks like there are some people on this forum who are barely hanging on to their sanity during this stressful time and, as somebody said above, their politics have become their religion. There's nothing to be gained from jumping into vitriolic political "debates," especially during these times.

There's not a lot of sports-related stuff to talk about, but the threads about movies or other ways to pass time during a virus shut-down can be interesting diversions.

It’s not that serious. It shouldn’t impact anyone that much.

I look at it like this: We aren’t friends ( I mean most everyone on here). We don’t know each other. Most of us don’t want to know each other. So we talk about whatever- argue, debate, complain, fuss, some curse at others, etc.

Last edited:
King, I’m with ya. I’m tired of all the bickering (I’ve been guilty of some of it myself, more-so on the FB). Tired of reading it, and ‘listening’ to myself about it. So I’m taking a deep breath and stepping back some. Here’s to health, peace and happiness!

I mostly play the Santee courses but I know Hillcrest Golf Club in Orangeburg has closed until April 1.
Is that a course with which you are familiar? Is it pretty decent? The reason I ask is that I have a brother who lives in Johns Island and I would like to meet up with him for a golf game there is it is worth the drive.

The guy who books all my golf down there posted this today:

Aberdeen
Burning Ridge
Colonial Charters
Founders Club at Pawleys
Willbrook Plantation
World Tour
River Club
Wild Wing - Avocet
Arcadian Shores
Hackler at Coastal Carolina

Is that a course with which you are familiar? Is it pretty decent? The reason I ask is that I have a brother who lives in Johns Island and I would like to meet up with him for a golf game there is it is worth the drive.
Santee courses are excellent. Three courses right off of 95 (dont know the exit number; its the Eutawville exit.) Santee National, Lake Marion Golf Course, and Santee Cooper Country Club. Great fairways, consistent greens, actual sand in the bunkers.

Hillcrest in Orangeburg is decent. Greens are pretty slow and not real consistent, staff not particularly warm. Very damp; we have adopted a standing rule that if your ball comes to rest on a bare area (50% of the fairway on many holes; very splotchy) you can move it over to grass. Lot of casual water when it rains.

Another hidden gem is Aiken Golf Course. Has hosted LPGA events in the past. Fairways and greens are Augusta like; the greens are evil beasts. I've played it twice; last time I played it I stiffed a 9 iron approach on par 4 no. 1 only to watch it spin back down the false front. I was laying 4 by the time I got it to within makeable putting range. Card was pretty much the same the rest of the way; you have to really know the course to score there. As a side note, a guy hung himself from a tree along the left side of one of the holes on the back nine about 4-5 months ago.

Last edited:
Santee courses are excellent. Three courses right off of 95 (dont know the exit number; its the Eutawville exit.) Santee National, Lake Marion Golf Course, and Santee Cooper Country Club. Great fairways, consistent greens, actual sand in the bunkers.

Hillcrest in Orangeburg is decent. Greens are pretty slow and not real consistent, staff not particularly warm. Very damp; we have adopted a standing rule that if your ball comes to rest on a bare area, you can move it to grass, Lot of casual water when it rains.
Thanks for the report. I believe I will be eschewing that one.

We played Edgewater Saturday, they just punched greens but was 90 degree everywhere but 18... After this rain, and some warmth the greens will heal quickly.. they too said do not pull pins and had NO RAKES so drop out of trap.. No Coolers or Ball washers available..

We played Edgewater Saturday, they just punched greens but was 90 degree everywhere but 18... After this rain, and some warmth the greens will heal quickly.. they too said do not pull pins and had NO RAKES so drop out of trap.. No Coolers or Ball washers available..
I'll be playing at Lancaster Golf Club. We won't punch holes until following Memorial Day.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT