ADVERTISEMENT

FGF Was Dead Wrong: Fireflies Are Awesome!

GarnetCocky1

Oct 3, 2015
I'm so glad most people on this board were DEAD wrong about us having a minor league team in town.

I see Fireflies shirts, car stickers, hats, etc. all over Columbia and the city has EMBRACED this team!

Haters who didn't want the team here, retire!

I see Fireflies shirts, car stickers, hats, etc. all over Columbia and the city has EMBRACED this team!

Trying to figure out where you're spending all your time in town because I haven't seen the first one in the year I've been back in Columbia. And I work 2 blocks from the stadium, where you'd expect to be inundated with Fireflies stuff.

I'm so glad most people on this board were DEAD wrong about us having a minor league team in town.

Nothing to do with baseball. The development is $20 million over budget and all the original anchor tenants have pulled out because it is not viable. It was forced down the tax payers throats.

Reactions: USC2006
Gee, major tenants haven't begun construction within the first year and a half the stadium opened? Anyone remember the Vista 10 years ago? How about 20 years ago?

The Fireflies are a great addition to Columbia. And if you haven't seen the amount of Fireflies apparel around the city, then you're not paying attention. The majority of the fans that go don't really overlap with USC baseball. And you get the added bonus of not listening to the "well you have to really, really, really understand baseball to appreciate it" crowd.

Trying to figure out where you're spending all your time in town because I haven't seen the first one in the year I've been back in Columbia. And I work 2 blocks from the stadium, where you'd expect to be inundated with Fireflies stuff.

You're too blind (or dumb) to notice that the Fireflies are hugely popular and rocking out around here!

Considering the deplorable state of USC baseball, they are THE baseball team to see in Columbia!

Haters gonna hate!

Funny-

You losers like to cry about taxpayer this and taxpayer that.

But I bet you sure do like public schools and roads (granted, our gas tax is so low our roads are in disrepair)!!!
We "loser"taxpayers have been down this rabbit hole before with several other failed ventures by city and county councils.All of the family planned housing in Bull street has been scrapped because it is located in the worst performing school district in the city and state. No family with young children will commit to moving there. That's why the only tenant they can find is a nursing home. I'm all for minor league baseball, but don't make me pay for it. Benjamin promised us a 29million dollar stadium development,and it cost 42mil and counting.

Evil city planners trying to encourage/spur growth. Damn them! That's not their job. Oh, wait...

Let's be frank about it. The recent success of the Fireflies is due to (1) the dropped-like-a-rock performance of USC's baseball team this season (2) Tim Tebow. Take those away and things will get back to normal in Columbia.

As it was, is and always will be in Columbia, where downtown development is concerned, if you want to succeed downtown, better check in first with USC. Even now, the old State Hospital campus developers are hoping USC will get the seed money to build a much-needed new Med School campus in that area. If that happens, it will be the shot-in-the arm needed to get more commercial development up and running.

As we say: 'Carolina, Forever To Thee!'

We "loser"taxpayers have been down this rabbit hole before with several other failed ventures by city and county councils.All of the family planned housing in Bull street has been scrapped because it is located in the worst performing school district in the city and state. No family with young children will commit to moving there. That's why the only tenant they can find is a nursing home. I'm all for minor league baseball, but don't make me pay for it. Benjamin promised us a 29million dollar stadium development,and it cost 42mil and counting.

The citizens of our fair City are in for a rude awakening when all the bills come due. The city is bankrupt.

Richland One, home to Dreher and AC Flora, is not the worst performing school district in the state. Absolutely stupid comment

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Let's be frank about it. The recent success of the Fireflies is due to (1) the dropped-like-a-rock performance of USC's baseball team this season (2) Tim Tebow. Take those away and things will get back to normal in Columbia.

As it was, is and always will be in Columbia, where downtown development is concerned, if you want to succeed downtown, better check in first with USC. Even now, the old State Hospital campus developers are hoping USC will get the seed money to build a much-needed new Med School campus in that area. If that happens, it will be the shot-in-the arm needed to get more commercial development up and running.

As we say: 'Carolina, Forever To Thee!'

Exactly. Folks are going to see Tebow, and Gene. We're going Saturday, but Little Man will probably be wearing either his Riverdogs cap or his Denver stuff. Or Gamecock stuff. It is nice to go to a game and not be emotionally invested in the outcome though.

Richland One, home to Dreher and AC Flora, is not the worst performing school district in the state. Absolutely stupid. comment

Check out the State Report Card. It is "Average". Those two schools don't make up for my alma mater CHS, and Keenan, and Johnson, nor do they make up for the middle and elementary schools. Sadly, the district I grew up in is nothing to write home about.

Compared to Lex/Rich 5 which is "Excellent", Lex 1 is "Excellent", and Richland 2 "Excellent".

Why do you think people are moving to Irmo/Chapin/Lexington/Northeast Richland and not downtown?

Last edited:
Actually it is. Check out the State Report Card. It is "Average". Those two schools don't make up for my alma mater CHS, and Keenan, and Johnson, nor do they make up for the middle and elementary schools. Sadly, the district I grew up in is nothing to write home about.

Compared to Lex/Rich 5 which is "Excellent", Lex 1 is "Excellent", and Richland 2 "Excellent".

Why do you think people are moving to Irmo/Chapin/Lexington/Northeast Richland and not downtown?

Sorry, it's not the worst performing district in the state. See the corridor of shame for that distinction.

Reactions: vacock#
On that, yes, we can agree. But still, Richland One is NOT anything to write home about. No one is fighting to get their kids into the schools.

Dreher is one of the top schools in the state. If I were a parent I'd definitely consider sending them there. You also get the benefit of it being a diverse school, not these segregated ones you see in Richland 2 (Westwood and Blythewood) or Lex/Rich 5

Reactions: okccock
Dreher is one of the top schools in the state. If I were a parent I'd definitely consider sending them there. You also get the benefit of it being a diverse school, not these segregated ones you see in Richland 2 (Westwood and Blythewood) or Lex/Rich 5

I AM a parent. The ONLY school I'd even remotely consider in Rich 1 is Flora. But ONLY if he weren't already in a great district.

Fireflies would have nothing without Tebow, not to mention the terrible season we had. People would rather go see a Heisman Trophy winner play than waste money and time on that crap we displayed this season.
I still think Fireflies will prove to be a bust and terrible decision.

Richland One, home to Dreher and AC Flora, is not the worst performing school district in the state. Absolutely stupid comment
You're exactly right, I am Stupid. When your District One kids travel around to the other districts to play sports and you see all the different schools and their facilities, your jaw drops. We get nothing in return for the one of the highest taxable income bases in the state. Utterly ridiculous. Move to the Lake while you can!! Chapin Lexington and Riverbluff laugh at us.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Westwood is not diverse? Have you ever been to the school. Uneducated comment from the peanut gallery.

And the city taxpayers still paying for the stadium and the development that hasn't developed.
Nothing to do with baseball. The development is $20 million over budget and all the original anchor tenants have pulled out because it is not viable. It was forced down the tax payers throats.

This .

This is only the 2nd year in Columbia. Right ? So there is still some "newness" about it. Plus..............hmmmmm o yeah that Tebow guy.

Funny-

You losers like to cry about taxpayer this and taxpayer that.

But I bet you sure do like public schools and roads (granted, our gas tax is so low our roads are in disrepair)!!!
So our roads are in disrepair because of a low gas tax. Please tell me why there was no repair for the last 5-10 years and exactly where did the road maintenance money go? Just like schools the politicians always need more money and no results.

I didn't want the team there because I wanted them to stay in Savannah at historic Grayson Stadium. Miss going to games there.

Have you been to Irmo lately? It is a pretty diverse student body as is Dutch Fork

Chapin isn't as diverse, but if you study the history of that area and how it was settled you'd understand why. Unlike most of the state, poor Germans settled it

I don't live in Cola anymore, but man.. What could be wrong with going to a game you don't care about and drinking beers? I'd be all over that. Look at the Greenville Drive!

Reactions: rogue cock
You're exactly right, I am Stupid. When your District One kids travel around to the other districts to play sports and you see all the different schools and their facilities, your jaw drops. We get nothing in return for the one of the highest taxable income bases in the state. Utterly ridiculous. Move to the Lake while you can!! Chapin Lexington and Riverbluff laugh at us.

Our 2 oldest kids go to Riverbluff. And yes the facilities are state of the art. However sometimes I think they put too much stock and pride in their facilities. The school is still new and trying to find its way. Sometimes they try to over complicate things and in turn their communication, especially to parents, is lacking. My wife is an educator and although facilities do help, the bottom line is do the teachers care and most importantly, are the parents engaged in their children's education. My wife has taught in some pretty bad schools in North Carolina and she has seen students excel when the parents are involved and set the bar higher for their children.

Check out the State Report Card. It is "Average". Those two schools don't make up for my alma mater CHS, and Keenan, and Johnson, nor do they make up for the middle and elementary schools. Sadly, the district I grew up in is nothing to write home about.

Downtown's population is booming. Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around people with kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT