ADVERTISEMENT

Fight is on for Neutral Site in Clemson Baseball Series

You realize USC will be against playing in MB or Charleston, as they would be the Saturday host, they want the Friday or Sunday games at home. I say lets do away with 3 games at 3 different places. Instead do the following:

2019 - Charleston - all 3 games
2020 - USC - all 3 games
2021 - Clemson - all 3 games
2022 - MB - all 3 games
2023 - USC - all 3 games
2024 - Clemson - all 3 games
2025 - Greenville - all 3 games

You realize USC will be against playing in MB or Charleston, as they would be the Saturday host, they want the Friday or Sunday games at home. I say lets do away with 3 games at 3 different places. Instead do the following:

2019 - Charleston - all 3 games
2020 - USC - all 3 games
2021 - Clemson - all 3 games
2022 - MB - all 3 games
2023 - USC - all 3 games
2024 - Clemson - all 3 games
2025 - Greenville - all 3 games

I doubt that as you have a better chance of getting more butts in the seat for a Saturday game, than a Friday or Sunday game for a myriad of reasons - parking, people don't have to take off work, for many Sunday is church day and first pitch is early because of travel back. A perfect example is the ballpark attendance any given SEC weekend. Attendance is always strongest on a Saturday.

I doubt that as you have a better chance of getting more butts in the seat for a Saturday game, than a Friday or Sunday game for a myriad of reasons - parking, people don't have to take off work, for many Sunday is church day and first pitch is early because of travel back. A perfect example is the ballpark attendance any given SEC weekend. Attendance is always strongest on a Saturday.

For this series, you are not worry about butts in the seat, USC wants to either start the series in Columbia or end it in Columbia.

SpartanSpurActive Member
New

For this series, you are not worry about butts in the seat, USC wants to either start the series in Columbia or end it in Columbia.

That’s what happens now. Friday game is either at Carolina/Clemson (next year will be Clemson). Saturday game is at neutral site and the Sunday game Carolina/Clemson (next year at Carolina).

I would like it in Charlotte for purely selfish reasons. The BB&T ballpark is a fantastic ballpark and its the closest venue to my house. There are a ton of USC and Clemson alum in the Charlotte area that would probably enjoy and support this.

But I totally understand keeping it in the state and rotating it around.
I back that initial sentence 100%!! It's where I call home! At least for now and the foreseeable future anyway!

Reactions: Will4Clemson
SpartanSpurActive Member
New

That’s what happens now. Friday game is either at Carolina/Clemson (next year will be Clemson). Saturday game is at neutral site and the Sunday game Carolina/Clemson (next year at Carolina).

How do you know that USC wants to either start or finish the series in Cola?

When the neutral site game is in Greenville, it makes sense to have it there on a Saturday. If held elsewhere, it may make more geographical sense to start or end the weekend at the neutral site.

I would like it in Charlotte for purely selfish reasons. The BB&T ballpark is a fantastic ballpark and its the closest venue to my house. There are a ton of USC and Clemson alum in the Charlotte area that would probably enjoy and support this.

But I totally understand keeping it in the state and rotating it around.
Yes, and that is why I would be okay with having it at Knight's Castle if it still existed.

Reactions: Will4Clemson
Neither school wants to give up the gate for this game/series. That was originally proposed when we joined the SEC and had to do away with the 3 & 3.

well we could go 2 midweek games, 2 @ each park.......needless 2 say it would really provide attendance boost for the mid week games............& shut up the ignorant (cut off ones nose 2 spite ones face),........which reminds me, expect the joe on 3-20 to break the tebow effect crowd record there.

Who on here was even at the game in Greenville? It was 60/40 Clemson fans but they were pretty easygoing and I had a good time. Fluor Field is an ideal place to play the middle game, and those of you who are complaining about the location need to lighten up. We walked ten batters - without such a loss of control we would have been in this game. Who in the hell thinks a game in Myrtle Beach is a good idea?

Who on here was even at the game in Greenville? It was 60/40 Clemson fans but they were pretty easygoing and I had a good time. Fluor Field is an ideal place to play the middle game, and those of you who are complaining about the location need to lighten up. We walked ten batters - without such a loss of control we would have been in this game. Who in the hell thinks a game in Myrtle Beach is a good idea?
If feasible, I think it's a good idea to "spread it around the state". Absolutely nothing against Greenville, but it would be nice to give more people access to the battle live once in a while, again, if feasible.

So Monte says he’d vote no for Charleston but later in the article says they would be open to anywhere and “we’ll play where they want us to play”.
Monte needs to coach his team. He is down 3-1 to Wofford in the 6th and his stadium has about 10 fans in it. Just goes to show even the fans in their stadium this weekend were there to see us and not the home team.

Have been every year but 2013.
Went in 2011 but the game was postponed to Tuesday due to weather after we got up there. Didn't make the r/s.

Last edited:
Jay Phillips (Mr. 107.5) and Tommy Moody said that we fans only started complaining about the Greenville location because we lost on Saturday.

I like Tommy but these guys have no clue as to what the fans think.

Jay Phillips (Mr. 107.5) and Tommy Moody said that we fans only started complaining about the Greenville location because we lost on Saturday.

Well Damn!! I wasn't aware that I had "Beotched" about the Greenville game!

Yes_I_am_a_TigerNew Member
NewYes, this is my 1st post, and yes, I am a Tiger. I don't apologize for those of you that are offended. I have read numerous posts on here from numerous posters, and there are some I would like to grab a drink with either before or after a game between our competing trams.

Since 2010, the series is tied 4-4 in Greenville, so the only "home field advantage" is perceived becauseClemson is up in the series at themoment. But the tide will turn, as italways has in this sport. No one "owns" the other school, regardless of howpeople think. This is a great rivalry between 2 great baseball teams & will continue to be so.

@USCBatgirl21, you seem to be one of the few on here with a clue about baseball & the series. I'm glad there is a voice of reason on here concerning this sport. Please keep the insight coming, as it's nice to get an honest opinion about our rival every now & then.

Thank you,
Always a Tiger

But you apparently don’t have a brain cell in your head. I’ve been complaining about this for years. I never thought that Greenville was a “neutral” site. It has ZERO to do with wins and loses. I don’t think it’s right, that Carolina/Clemson fans from other parts of the State, don’t get to see the rivalry.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes, this is my 1st post, and yes, I am a Tiger. I don't apologize for those of you that are offended. I have read numerous posts on here from numerous posters, and there are some I would like to grab a drink with either before or after a game between our competing trams.

Since 2010, the series is tied 4-4 in Greenville, so the only "home field advantage" is perceived because Clemson is up in the series at the moment. But the tide will turn, as it always has in this sport. No one "owns" the other school, regardless of how people think. This is a great rivalry between 2 great baseball teams & will continue to be so.

@USCBatgirl21, you seem to be one of the few on here with a clue about baseball & the series. I'm glad there is a voice of reason on here concerning this sport. Please keep the insight coming, as it's nice to get an honest opinion about our rival every now & then.

Thank you,
Always a Tiger

Maybe it's tied because it's 40 miles from your campus. Otherwise it might be worse for your team. I'm in favor of moving it around so others can have a chance to see their team. Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Charlotte/RockHill, North Augusta and even Columbia Spirit (Richland County being where the one of the largest IPTAY clubs is located). All you have to do is ticket allocation. Even if Spirit favors us and Fluor favors you, the rotation gets it even.

Maybe it's tied because it's 40 miles from your campus. Otherwise it might be worse for your team. I'm in favor of moving it around so others can have a chance to see their team. Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Charlotte/RockHill, North Augusta and even Columbia Spirit (Richland County being where the one of the largest IPTAY clubs is located). All you have to do is ticket allocation. Even if Spirit favors us and Fluor favors you, the rotation gets it even.
I am thinking that Clemson will be open to having the at Spirit.

It's only gotten tied the last 3 seasons, which happen to correspond with the decline in our program. It had nothing to do with the location. If location mattered, the overall would be more even than it is.

Also, ticket allocations are split 50/50. The difference, however, is that Gamecocks have regularly sold their tickets to Tigers (as evidenced by the Clemson families that were sitting right above our dugout in OUR sections), but Clemsux fans have not done the same. So our fans share a great deal of the blame in having more of them than us there.

To be honest, I don't remember any complaining until the last 3 seasons, which correspond with losses up there. But that's how it usually works. People look for anything to vent about after a loss.

To be honest, I don't remember any complaining until the last 3 seasons, which correspond with losses up there. But that's how it usually works. People look for anything to vent about after a loss.

Okay time for me to come clean, it is all on me. I have been only the last 3 years and we lost all three. But wait it gets worst, I have been to both UNC games the last 2 years. And yeah it get even worst, I have been to 1 Furman in Greenville and 1 Wofford game in Spartanburg, plus 3 games in Clemson, we lost all of them. I have never seen USC win in baseball away from Columbia. Yes, right now I am planning to attend the UNC game this year.

Okay time for me to come clean, it is all on me. I have been only the last 3 years and we lost all three. But wait it gets worst, I have been to both UNC games the last 2 years. And yeah it get even worst, I have been to 1 Furman in Greenville and 1 Wofford game in Spartanburg, plus 3 games in Clemson, we lost all of them. I have never seen USC win in baseball away from Columbia. Yes, right now I am planning to attend the UNC game this year.
KEEP YOUR BUTT AT HOME FROM NOW ON!!!!!!

I'd call myself disappointed ever since it became clear we weren't going to rotate around the state year to year or at least every two years. I may have complained a little early on only because it's hard to complain a lot if the coaches think that's what's best for their teams. If losing has brought the want for change, good. I hope it brings shorter contracts at these neutral sites.

I'd call myself disappointed ever since it became clear we weren't going to rotate around the state year to year or at least every two years. I may have complained a little early on only because it's hard to complain a lot if the coaches think that's what's best for their teams. If losing has brought the want for change, good. I hope it brings shorter contracts at these neutral sites.
I was disappointed, too, that it wasn't moved around as was expected. What would be good would be for the ballparks that can bid be designated from the start - i.e. Greenville, Chas, MB, NA, Cola. Those are the 5 ballparks that get to bid for it each year. However, if you host in X year, you cannot submit a bid for ___ more years to give the others an opportunity to host. Example would be for Greenville to be excluded from the process this year and a couple more, but it be open to Chas, MB, NA, Cola. I don't want Charlotte in it. This game should not cross the NC/SC border.

I was disappointed, too, that it wasn't moved around as was expected. What would be good would be for the ballparks that can bid be designated from the start - i.e. Greenville, Chas, MB, NA, Cola. Those are the 5 ballparks that get to bid for it each year. However, if you host in X year, you cannot submit a bid for ___ more years to give the others an opportunity to host. Example would be for Greenville to be excluded from the process this year and a couple more, but it be open to Chas, MB, NA, Cola. I don't want Charlotte in it. This game should not cross the NC/SC border.
This would be one reason that Clemson wouldn't like it as much as Carolina would. The fanbase breakdown outside the upstate is demonstrably toward us.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,32.523,-80.782

Living in lower Beaufort County, Greenville is too much of a trek for one game. They need to put the game in Charleston for a while. Hate the game in Greenville....it sux.

This would be one reason that Clemson wouldn't like it as much as Carolina would. The fanbase breakdown outside the upstate is demonstrably toward us.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,32.523,-80.782

Living in lower Beaufort County, Greenville is too much of a trek for one game. They need to put the game in Charleston for a while. Hate the game in Greenville....it sux.

Charleston would need to do better with that "tailgate" (and I used that term loosely) that they put on last time. They failed the fans in that regard last time.

Charleston would need to do better with that "tailgate" (and I used that term loosely) that they put on last time. They failed the fans in that regard last time.
I never had a bad time when the game was in Charleston. Charleston had plenty to do without worrying about a tailgate atmosphere.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I never had a bad time when the game was in Charleston. Charleston had plenty to do without worrying about a tailgate atmosphere.
Yes, but unfortunately the bar has been set by Greenville with their fan fare/tailgate thing they've done all these years. It's just outside the gates with the streets closed off, bands, vendors, etc. There aren't the bars/restaurants around that you would have in MB (Broadway) and in Gville, and looks like they will have in NA. As I've said before this game attracts more of the "casual" fan who goes to simply say that they went. Who doesn't necessarily care about the game itself, but wants to make a social event of it. I fear that will be expected from each location from here on out, whether you go for that kind of thing or not.

Charleston did that little "tailgate" area that was $20 bucks to get in, and really had not much to offer for your $20. We didn't go into it because we just did our own thing in Brittlebank in 2012 when it was in Charleston that one year.

Of course, if it's in Charleston, it would more than likely be on a Friday, so you probably wouldn't necessarily need all that, but it's something to think about.

But traffic on a Friday West Ashley and Downtown...UGH!!!! :(

Reactions: mavcock
Yes, but unfortunately the bar has been set by Greenville with their fan fare/tailgate thing they've done all these years. It's just outside the gates with the streets closed off, bands, vendors, etc. There aren't the bars/restaurants around that you would have in MB (Broadway) and in Gville, and looks like they will have in NA. As I've said before this game attracts more of the "casual" fan who goes to simply say that they went. Who doesn't necessarily care about the game itself, but wants to make a social event of it. I fear that will be expected from each location from here on out, whether you go for that kind of thing or not.

Charleston did that little "tailgate" area that was $20 bucks to get in, and really had not much to offer for your $20. We didn't go into it because we just did our own thing in Brittlebank in 2012 when it was in Charleston that one year.

Of course, if it's in Charleston, it would more than likely be on a Friday, so you probably wouldn't necessarily need all that, but it's something to think about.

But traffic on a Friday West Ashley and Downtown...UGH!!!! :(
I wouldn't mind NA or MB. Go to Augusta every year anyway and it's pretty close. MB would be great....haven't been in 20+ years and wouldn't mind seeing it again. Just tired of Greenville...grew up there and just don't care for it too much...plus I can get to Jacksonville quicker than I can get to Greenville. And Greenville traffic isn't great either, especially parking in downtown. And, Lord help if you get stuck on Woodruff Road.

I wouldn't mind NA or MB. Go to Augusta every year anyway and it's pretty close. MB would be great....haven't been in 20+ years and wouldn't mind seeing it again. Just tired of Greenville...grew up there and just don't care for it too much...plus I can get to Jacksonville quicker than I can get to Greenville. And Greenville traffic isn't great either, especially parking in downtown. And, Lord help if you get stuck on Woodruff Road.
Plenty of parking down toward the ballpark in Greenville. you have the county offices, Greenville High School, a Church has parking for $5. You are right Woodruff Rd is a nightmare, but that is not near the stadium. Traffic downtown is no where as bad as Woodruff RD. I just have a feeling that Columbia will be the next stop for the series. Neither school right now seems to want to go to MB or Charleston. I bet it will be in NA before Charleston or MB.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Plenty of parking down toward the ballpark in Greenville. you have the county offices, Greenville High School, a Church has parking for $5. You are right Woodruff Rd is a nightmare, but that is not near the stadium. Traffic downtown is no where as bad as Woodruff RD. I just have a feeling that Columbia will be the next stop for the series. Neither school right now seems to want to go to MB or Charleston. I bet it will be in NA before Charleston or MB.
They could still do NA on a Saturday, as you opined earlier.

OMG...All of this discussion about “neutrality”, game day experience and wins/loses. It’s a BASEBALL game! It’s about fans in other parts of the State, being able to witness the rivalry...in person.

Reactions: rogue cock
I’ve been to many Carolina baseball games over my 5plus decades of being a Gamecock fan...even at Clemson. Batgirl...You think this is just about MY desire to see the game, because I’m from MP? No...This is about all the Carolina/Clemson fans having that opportunity. From day one...I’ve been talking about the game moving around the State (longer than just 3 years). I’m there to watch a baseball game. There’s always a good crowd, when Carolina plays The Citadel. There’s no “experience” either.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I’ve been to many Carolina baseball games over my 5plus decades of being a Gamecock fan...even at Clemson. Batgirl...You think this is just about MY desire to see the game, because I’m from MP? No...This is about all the Carolina/Clemson fans having that opportunity. From day one...I’ve been talking about the game moving around the State (longer than just 3 years). I’m there to watch a baseball game. There’s always a good crowd, when Carolina plays The Citadel. There’s no “experience” either.
Fair enough. However, the way you constantly bring up seeing the rivalry (not just the game), it came across as you have not seen games even in Columbia.

As I've said, and you appear to refuse to acknowledge, this game attracts the casual fan, who really couldn't care less about the game. Now that may not be the kind of fan you are, but it can't be ignored when planning for such.

And you cannot compare the Carolina/Clemson game to Citadel/Carolina. They just aren't the same in regards to appeal.

30 miles from DKS, but right in the middle of their season ticket holders for baseball.

Very similar to playing the neutral game at Spirit Com Park.

ADVERTISEMENT