ADVERTISEMENT

Fight is on for Neutral Site in Clemson Baseball Series

Charleston would need to do better with that "tailgate" (and I used that term loosely) that they put on last time. They failed the fans in that regard last time.

For Pete's sake, what did they do? Serve LIVE shrimp on a rye bun? Schedule the game at low tide when the 'perfume' odors of Charleston's marshlands cover the westside penisula bank like morning dew?

If you're going to a baseball game in Charleston - at 'The Joe' - imo tailgating should not be a priority - jmo.

For Pete's sake, what did they do? Serve LIVE shrimp on a rye bun? Schedule the game at low tide when the 'perfume' odors of Charleston's marshlands cover the westside penisula bank like morning dew?

If you're going to a baseball game in Charleston - at 'The Joe' - imo tailgating should not be a priority - jmo.

No it shouldn't, but again, as I've mentioned a great deal, it's what is more than likely what will be expected. People have to stop thinking about this game as a baseball fan who goes to the game to see the game. That is not what this neutral site game has become. It's no longer just "going to a baseball game". It's become a tailgate party that just happens to have a baseball game involved, because of what Greenville has done/been allowed to do, outside the game.

If the powers that be want to get it back to being just a game, then do away with the neutral site altogether. Go back to Sat/Sunday and 2 midweeks, as it was before all this mess started. Then everyone would have no choice but to go to Columbia or Clemson to see the games, and no one complains that the neutral site is too close/too far/whathaveyou.

Last edited:
USCBatgirl21Well-Known Member
New

I’ve been to many Carolina baseball games over my 5plus decades of being a Gamecock fan...even at Clemson. Batgirl...You think this is just about MY desire to see the game, because I’m from MP? No...This is about all the Carolina/Clemson fans having that opportunity. From day one...I’ve been talking about the game moving around the State (longer than just 3 years). I’m there to watch a baseball game. There’s always a good crowd, when Carolina plays The Citadel. There’s no “experience” either.
Fair enough. However, the way you constantly bring up seeing the rivalry (not just the game), it came across as you have not seen games even in Columbia.

As I've said, and you appear to refuse to acknowledge, this game attracts the casual fan, who really couldn't care less about the game. Now that may not be the kind of fan you are, but it can't be ignored when planning for such.

And you cannot compare theCarolina/Clemson game to Citadel/Carolina. They just aren't the same in regards to appeal.

Batgirl...I wasn’t comparing the appeal of the two games. Just that...It’s not hard to generate a crowd of Gamecocks for any sporting event in Charleston. The Clemson game would just boost it exponentially.

I’ve been involved in “bids” on many occasions in my life. The winner of the bid, guarantees that the “parties” will split the bid. Doesn’t matter about the success or failure of the event.

30 miles from DKS, but right in the middle of their season ticket holders for baseball.

Very similar to playing the neutral game at Spirit Com Park.
According to google maps its 3.4 miles from Founders Park to Spirit Com park and its 41 miles from DKS to Fluor Field. Fluor Field is not a home game for Clemson. Each school gets 50 % of the tickets. I was at the game Saturday but I did not pay that close of attention as to who had more fans but I can tell you there were a lot of Gamecock fans there. Before Clemson's recent 3 game win streak USC held the advantage 4 to 1. Perhaps the tide turned and Clemson has the better team now. There was not much complaining until the last couple of years about home field advantage.

According to google maps its 3.4 miles from Founders Park to Spirit Com park and its 41 miles from DKS to Fluor Field. Fluor Field is not a home game for Clemson. Each school gets 50 % of the tickets. I was at the game Saturday but I did not pay that close of attention as to who had more fans but I can tell you there were a lot of Gamecock fans there. Before Clemson's recent 3 game win streak USC held the advantage 4 to 1. Perhaps the tide turned and Clemson has the better team now. There was not much complaining until the last couple of years about home field advantage.
There was from those of us who live in the lowcountry. We like to have a game at "The Joe"....and, yes, it'd be every bit of a sell out as the one in Greenville.

Jay Phillips (Mr. 107.5) and Tommy Moody said that we fans only started complaining about the Greenville location because we lost on Saturday.

I like Tommy but these guys have no clue as to what the fans think.
Jay criticizes USC fans every chance he gets. He's a big loudmouth know-nothing.

It has ALWAYS been complained about every year regardless of which team is winning. Every March it comes up.

There was from those of us who live in the lowcountry. We like to have a game at "The Joe"....and, yes, it'd be every bit of a sell out as the one in Greenville.
Attendance at "The Joe" 5851 Attendance at Fluor Field 7385 That is a 26% increase in attendance.That comes out to almost $40,000.00 in gate receipts alone. Greenville has out bid other venues and that most likely will continue. Its an opportunity to show off the west end and it's a boom for the bars/restaurants

Attendance at "The Joe" 5851 Attendance at Fluor Field 7385 That is a 26% increase in attendance.That comes out to almost $40,000.00 in gate receipts alone. Greenville has out bid other venues and that most likely will continue. Its an opportunity to show off the west end and it's a boom for the bars/restaurants
The point of the neutral site game is to allow more fans from around the state to attend the game. The Myrtle Beach area has been largely ignored since Tanner refused to continue playing in the tournament there that Coastal hosted. I fully expect the game next year to be in Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: rogue cock
The point of the neutral site game is to allow more fans from around the state to attend the game. The Myrtle Beach area has been largely ignored since Tanner refused to continue playing in the tournament there that Coastal hosted. I fully expect the game next year to be in Myrtle Beach.
I think someone mentioned that weekend is also the MB Half/Full Marathon that begins and ends at the ballpark. Do you think they'd move the games a weekend earlier?

scstatefbfanNew Member
New

Not true...Charleston outbid Greenville the last time there was a bid.

scstatefbfanNew Member
New

Not true...Charleston outbid Greenville the last time there was a bid.
I think everyone might have out bid Greenville. Go figure.

....and people wonder how UGA is making inroads into South Carolina. Large UGA fanbase in the lowcountry and getting bigger....already much bigger than Clemson's and catching up with USC's. Neither USC nor Clemson pay much attention to the area....but UGA does.

I think someone mentioned that weekend is also the MB Half/Full Marathon that begins and ends at the ballpark. Do you think they'd move the games a weekend earlier?
I think MB would do whatever needed to get the game there. I don't see why it couldn't be a week earlier.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I'm going to the Clemson game at Fluor Field tonight. I'll be the guy in the garnet shirt pulling for Michigan State. They better be serving beer.

I never heard anything about Tanner refusing to play in the Coastal-hosted round-robins. When and why?

You are probably right, but what Greenville did turned everything on its ears.

I never heard anything about Tanner refusing to play in the Coastal-hosted round-robins. When and why?
It happened in the early 2000's. There was some disagreement and it involved Toman. In typical Tanner fashion, he never let the details go public.

According to Sunday's Post & Courier, a four-year Fluor Field contract
for the neutral game site expired with the last out Saturday. Request for
Proposal letters will go out to cities interested in hosting the game in 2019
and beyond. Possible cities include Myrtle Beach, Charlotte, North Augusta,
Charleston, and Greenville.
Charleston, that is as fair as Greenville is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT