ADVERTISEMENT

Fishing Venice Louisiana

Creek Snake

May 22, 2014
My two sons and I just returned from Venice and had a great trip.We went inshore 2 days and got into the bull reds pretty good.The offshore bite was swordfish.We stay right at the Marina on a houseboat.If you are a fisherman,definitely a bucket list item.Any body else been recently?

I went in 2019 and it was Great. Caught all we wanted. Used Grand Slam charters. End of the road fishing village.

Reactions: Creek Snake
I’m going to the Chandeluer islands in two weeks for a 3 day trip . First time going . Last time my buddy went they Averaged over a 100 trout a day . A lot over 25 inches . I’m beyond excited I’ve had this trip booked for 3 years . The first year there was a hurricane , last year was Covid and this year the forecast is fantastic . For those who don’t know about the Chandeluers check out this video .

Reactions: FORKCOCK
We actually fished a couple of islands for Reds that were the beginning of that chain.Numerous fisherman wading for trout.Our guide said most of those waders were from the Hopedale La. area.

I don't know if you are aware that Capt Theophile Beaujeau in the video was killed in a plane crash a couple of years ago while piloting his seaplane to the Chandeleur Islands.He was a legend and a real character.

Best fishing I have ever done. Spent a week there with a guide. When I got back, I was so sore took another week to recover. And a bottle of Makers!

My two sons and I just returned from Venice and had a great trip.We went inshore 2 days and got into the bull reds pretty good.The offshore bite was swordfish.We stay right at the Marina on a houseboat.If you are a fisherman,definitely a bucket list item.Any body else been recently?
What outfitter did you use?
I fished Houma years ago.

I don't know if you are aware that Capt Theophile Beaujeau in the video was killed in a plane crash a couple of years ago while piloting his seaplane to the Chandeleur Islands.He was a legend and a real character.

Yes sir . Very very heartbreaking . My friend has fished with Capt Theophile numerous times and when he called to book they informed him . He actually had two clients on the plane when it crashed and he got them out safely and they both made full recoveries . He’s a legend . One of a kind .

I’m going to the Chandeluer islands in two weeks for a 3 day trip . First time going . Last time my buddy went they Averaged over a 100 trout a day . A lot over 25 inches . I’m beyond excited I’ve had this trip booked for 3 years . The first year there was a hurricane , last year was Covid and this year the forecast is fantastic . For those who don’t know about the Chandeluers check out this video .

Yep, I want to do that or go to Texas. A real big trout in Charleston is 7 or 8 lbs.

Capt Bobby Warren and Capt Shane Mayfield.Both knowledgeable and nice guys to boot.Hope to fish with them again.We stayed right in a houseboat at Venice Marina.VRBO type of place.
Thx sounds like a great trip, glad you & your sons enjoyed yourselves.

Yep, I want to do that or go to Texas. A real big trout in Charleston is 7 or 8 lbs.

Bro that’s a big trout anywhere in the world . I will say I’ve trout fished all over the southeast and the biggest ones are either from Texas or Florida . Louisiana has tons of fish and the numbers are off the charts but I’ve never caught what I consider a trophy trout there . The croaker population crashed before the net ban and that really hurt the big trout fishery . All my top five were all caught on big free lined croakers in the fall in Florida . Croakers are like crack for a big gator trout . Unfortunately sometimes it’s harder to find the croakers than it is to find the trout !!

Bro that’s a big trout anywhere in the world . I will say I’ve trout fished all over the southeast and the biggest ones are either from Texas or Florida . Louisiana has tons of fish and the numbers are off the charts but I’ve never caught what I consider a trophy trout there . The croaker population crashed before the net ban and that really hurt the big trout fishery . All my top five were all caught on big free lined croakers in the fall in Florida . Croakers are like crack for a big gator trout . Unfortunately sometimes it’s harder to find the croakers than it is to find the trout !!
I'd be shot dead if any of my buddies caught me fishing with live bait.

Galveston, TX is where I want to go. I've seen a lot of 11 to 12 lb. Trout caught there.

I'd be shot dead if any of my buddies caught me fishing with live bait.

Galveston, TX is where I want to go. I've seen a lot of 11 to 12 lb. Trout caught there.

Haha . I get it . I love throwing topwaters and plastics but I can tell you with 100% confidence the big boys want a big lively bait . Not saying you can’t get the big ones on lures but they are TOUGH . Those big gator trout are some of the spookiest fish out there . I always start out lure fishing but I always make sure I have at least a few dozen croakers in the live well . I’ve had days where we caught 7 or 8 twenty five inch + trout on croakers when they wouldn’t look at any lure known to mankind . I totally get it . I have buddy’s that are diehard lure guys but I just love live baiting . Watching a 30 inch trout smash a free lined mullet or croaker in a foot of water is about as cool as it gets !!! Freaking love it . Yeah Galveston is a PHENOMENAL big trout fishery . Fished there twice and never got any monsters but a lot of 20+ fish . It’s a great fishery . St John’s river in Florida produces some big ones too .

I caught a 5.5 and a 7.5 the same day in the Gulf port small craft harbor. Great fishing in the gulf. I wish LA would cut the limit to 15 fish.

I caught a 5.5 and a 7.5 the same day in the Gulf port small craft harbor. Great fishing in the gulf. I wish LA would cut the limit to 15 fish.

Can you imagine the fishery if they did !! Two years ago we went down from 5 to 3 and this year I’m seeing more big trout than I have in decades . Two years !!! I wish they would close cobia in the gulf for year but that will never happen . There would be riots .

One thing I didn't mention was my son caught a 45 inch tailing red in a foot of water.It was in grass so he was using a shrimp on a jighead.Watching that tail as it "meandered"over to that shrimp was every bit as exciting as watching a big buck come out or calling a turkey in.Great memory for the 3 of us and our guide Bobby Warren was as excited as we were.

One thing I didn't mention was my son caught a 45 inch tailing red in a foot of water.It was in grass so he was using a shrimp on a jighead.Watching that tail as it "meandered"over to that shrimp was every bit as exciting as watching a big buck come out or calling a turkey in.Great memory for the 3 of us and our guide Bobby Warren was as excited as we were.

That’s badass !!! Reds have TERRIBLE eyesight so sometimes they will blast a topwater or live bait three or four times before they either eat it or give up . So awesome . Trout are like snipers ... they don’t miss .

That’s badass !!! Reds have TERRIBLE eyesight so sometimes they will blast a topwater or live bait three or four times before they either eat it or give up . So awesome . Trout are like snipers ... they don’t miss .
I'll fish topwater from here on out until around December. Just a few things I've noticed over the last couple of decades. Spottails want a topwater bait with a bigger rattle, like a Skitter Walker. Also, trout and spottail will hit a bait with a red eye with more frequency.

The day after a full moon and clear skies will most likely be a bad day for trout because they fed all night long.

I'll fish topwater from here on out until around December. Just a few things I've noticed over the last couple of decades. Spottails want a topwater bait with a bigger rattle, like a Skitter Walker. Also, trout and spottail will hit a bait with a red eye with more frequency.

The day after a full moon and clear skies will most likely be a bad day for trout because they fed all night long.

Yeah you are dead on . The Reds (spottails) like the big rattle because they can’t see so that big rattle makes baits easier to zone In on . Big trout are just the opposite. I actually have a few topwaters with absolutely no rattles that I throw in super shallow water for spooky trout . If you get a calm night and a full moon go out and throw so big topwaters (black preferably) and it will blow your mind how many big trout bites you get . They get savage at night on a full moon . Where do you fish out of primarily ??

Yeah you are dead on . The Reds (spottails) like the big rattle because they can’t see so that big rattle makes baits easier to zone In on . Big trout are just the opposite. I actually have a few topwaters with absolutely no rattles that I throw in super shallow water for spooky trout . If you get a calm night and a full moon go out and throw so big topwaters (black preferably) and it will blow your mind how many big trout bites you get . They get savage at night on a full moon . Where do you fish out of primarily ??
Normally put in at Remleys Point and fish the Wando and Cooper River.

Normally put in at Remleys Point and fish the Wando and Cooper River.

Nice !!! I really miss fishing there . I used to love fishing those flooded flats during the fall . It’s so cool . In my area the reds are usually feeding on croakers , mullet , pogies , etc etc. instead of crabs so they don’t get in that super shallow stuff and tail . What’s the name of that creek of the Wanda with the half sunken barge on the north end ?? Me and my grandpa used to fish that all the time . Awesome fishery .

Nice !!! I really miss fishing there . I used to love fishing those flooded flats during the fall . It’s so cool . In my area the reds are usually feeding on croakers , mullet , pogies , etc etc. instead of crabs so they don’t get in that super shallow stuff and tail . What’s the name of that creek of the Wanda with the half sunken barge on the north end ?? Me and my grandpa used to fish that all the time . Awesome fishery .
Baresford Creek?

So my first cousin a bulldog from Stone mountain Georgia just bought his retirement home in Gulfport Mississippi. He and I are like brothers, went to the South Carolina/Georgia game every year for many years until we got too much family stuff going on.

He's been coming down here to Florida and fishing Steinhatchee with me for years. We've caught a lot of trout and reds. We also had a family beach house up in North Myrtle Beach and tore up the flounder there for many years.

I'm getting ready to start fishing with him out in Gulfport. Hope to visit the spots you guys are talking about.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT