ADVERTISEMENT

Five Points bar and restaurant owner facing drug charges

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
Jonathan Sears, 39, is the co-owner of The Bird Dog, The Cotton Gin, The Gourmet Shop, Jake’s Bar and Pavlov's in Five Points, as well as Hendrix in downtown Columbia. Officials say Jonathan’s brother, 33-year-old Geoffrey Sears, was also arrested and is charged with manufacturing marijuana. Anyone know them?

Stop the insanity - these guys are major contributors to the Columbia economy and they got caught with some weed on them. (What's manufacturing marijuana anyway?) And who cares what it was for? Distribute it, who cares? Especially if they were the ones growing it - then it's truly a victimless crime (whereas the weed moved through the cartels creates lots of victims).

Stop the insanity - these guys are major contributors to the Columbia economy and they got caught with some weed on them. (What's manufacturing marijuana anyway?) And who cares what it was for? Distribute it, who cares? Especially if they were the ones growing it - then it's truly a victimless crime (whereas the weed moved through the cartels creates lots of victims).
What I read about it said he had large quantities on him (who cares, I agree- it should not be illegal regardless) and he also had a fire arm… That makes it a much more serious offense. Possession of amounts that bring an “intent to distribute” charge and a gun- that gets the cops’ attention and highlights one of the dangers of forcing people to be criminals if they want to posses and use drugs. There is no law enforcement keeping someone from stealing your drugs- just call the coos and tell them some guy stole your weed or the money you made from selling it.. YOU have to be the enforcement. It perpetuates gun violence and makes what would be a harmless habit turn into a violent crime or murder all too often.

What I read about it said he had large quantities on him (who cares, I agree- it should not be illegal regardless) and he also had a fire arm… That makes it a much more serious offense. Possession of amounts that bring an “intent to distribute” charge and a gun- that gets the cops’ attention and highlights one of the dangers of forcing people to be criminals if they want to posses and use drugs. There is no law enforcement keeping someone from stealing your drugs- just call the coos and tell them some guy stole your weed or the money you made from selling it.. YOU have to be the enforcement. It perpetuates gun violence and makes what would be a harmless habit turn into a violent crime or murder all too often.
I’ve never smoked marijuana, nor taken any illicit drugs, and I don’t advocate for marijuana being legalized here. I will say that the devils lettuce is on the lower end of the scale of drugs that people seem to rob, steal, kill for these days. My former home was broken into twice, and many irreplaceable items were stolen from me. The second break in happened when we had moved out, and were 6 days from closing on the sale. They stole my pressure washer, air compressor, a heavy ass concrete planter urn, my wife’s canna lilies, and even a monogrammed B flag from our flag stand in the flower bed.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
I guess there is not as much money to be made from the underage drinking crowd these days.

This is 1000% about this guy’s refusal to stop running clubs that cater to underage drinkers/18 year olds, along with a lot of other totally irresponsible behavior. I’m fine with it. He’s a wart on the hind end of Cola as are the places he runs.

Manufacturing marijuana is the charge for growing it or using it to derive another product like gummies. These are getting big among the older folks at the beach. I know a guy probably near 70 brings them home and sells them to his friends. I think it should be ignored by the government. But you know they can't keep their hands off any potential source of revenue. And where it has been legalized, the black market still thrives because all they have to do is lower their price a bit.

This is 1000% about this guy’s refusal to stop running clubs that cater to underage drinkers/18 year olds, along with a lot of other totally irresponsible behavior. I’m fine with it. He’s a wart on the hind end of Cola as are the places he runs.
That isn’t just him. He’s simply continuing a fine Five Points tradition.

How can any former USC student ever be opposed to underage kids drinking in five points?!

Reactions: ToddFlanders
I guess this explains why he went from charging $2000 to $6000 to rent the patio at Jake's for a function. He needed to pay for his budding horticulturist career.
Good Grief. In the 1990's, you could have gotten the whole Carolina Coliseum for $1200. Well, maybe not the academic areas of it, but the whole arena and concourse for 12,401 of your party animal friends. To get Jules to cater would have been extra, but worth it. RIP Jules.

The law is the law. Don't be on here spouting an Olympic athlete knows the rules so no sympathy when consequences come down for weed, and then be all up in arms when a bar owner gets knocked because you like the guy. He knows the rules too.

The law is the law. Don't be on here spouting an Olympic athlete knows the rules so no sympathy when consequences come down for weed, and then be all up in arms when a bar owner gets knocked because you like the guy. He knows the rules too.
It’s like you see one comment and attribute it to everyone.

It’s like you see one comment and attribute it to everyone.
A hit dog gonna holla. If the comment doesn't apply to you, don't get defensive. You and I know that it applies to some people. That's who I was talking to. And it was a lot more than one person saying it.

A hit dog gonna holla. If the comment doesn't apply to you, don't get defensive. You and I know that it applies to some people. That's who I was talking to. And it was a lot more than one person saying it.
You’re right. I should not have responded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT