ADVERTISEMENT

Florida vs The U.....who you got?

I like Miami better but pulling for the sec. Florida should win. I think both teams are overrated but are on the rise. Florida is further along because of they have an established qb and its their second year under Mullen. I think Diaz will have the Canes back soon though. He has had success elsewhere and he is the right coach for that program. Either way, I'm just excited to watch an early non conference game between two big names.

Reactions: Garnetskies
I think that Diaz they hired is a fraud.

Certainly, you have a right to your own opinion. But, from the very beginning of his career, Diaz's stats, performance and accomplishments paint a different picture and, with the exception of Texas, ... he's been stellar everywhere he's been.

Florida State
Diaz began his coaching career at Florida State. During his stint, Florida State appeared in back-to-back BCS National Championship Games.

NC State
The 2005 NC State Wolfpack football team finished eighth nationally in total defense, sixth in third-down percentage, and twelfth in scoring defense and a shutout win over the South Florida Bulls in the 2005 Meineke Car Care Bowl. Diaz also served as special teams coordinator and the kickoff return unit finished fifth nationally, while the punt return team blocked four kicks.

In his first year as safeties coach and special teams coordinator in 2004, NC State's defense finished the year as the top-ranked unit in the country in total defense. The Wolfpack defense also held national powers Ohio State and Florida State to under 130 yards of total offense during the season. His 2004 special teams at NC State also had three blocked punts and two returns for touchdowns.

In 2002, his first year as a full-time coach, Diaz helped the Wolfpack to one of their best seasons ever, finishing 11–3 and defeating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. He shared in the play-calling duties, and NC State ended the year ranked 14th nationally in total defense and 10th in scoring defense. In back-to-back games against Florida State and Notre Dame, NC State did not allow an offensive touchdown.

Middle Tennessee
In four years under Diaz, the Middle Tennessee defense led its conference in sacks and tackles for loss twice, and finished no lower than third in the league in either category during his tenure. In 2009, the Blue Raiders finished second nationally in tackles for loss, stopping more than eight and a half plays per game behind the line of scrimmage. Diaz's defense also ranked sixth nationally in sacks that season, posting nearly three per game.

Overall, Diaz' unit produced 17 all-conference players during his time there and put up three of the top four fewest yards allowed averages at Middle Tennessee in its FBS era.

Mississippi State
In 2010 with the Mississippi State Bulldogs, Diaz guided a defense that ranked 22nd in the nation in scoring defense (19.9 ppg), 17th in rushing defense (214.9 ypg) and 17th in tackles for loss (7.0 pg). That was a dramatic turnaround for MSU from the season prior to his arrival. In 2009, the defense finished 71st in scoring defense, 62nd in rushing defense and 89th in TFL. Mississippi State also finished ranked 13th in red zone defense (.73) and 22nd in turnovers forced (28) nationally this season.

Texas
In 2012, Diaz guided the Texas Longhorns to the worst defense in school history.

Louisiana Tech
In his lone season as defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech, the Bulldogs led FBS in turnovers gained (42) with 16 fumble recoveries and 26 interceptions.

Second stint at Mississippi State
Diaz spent the 2015 season with the Bulldogs, where his unit held opponents to 23.2 points per game and ranked in the nation’s top 10 in red zone defense and tackles for loss.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Certainly, you have a right to your own opinion. But, from the very beginning of his career, Diaz's stats, performance and accomplishments paint a different picture and, with the exception of Texas, ... he's been stellar everywhere he's been.

Florida State
Diaz began his coaching career at Florida State. During his stint, Florida State appeared in back-to-back BCS National Championship Games.

NC State
The 2005 NC State Wolfpack football team finished eighth nationally in total defense, sixth in third-down percentage, and twelfth in scoring defense and a shutout win over the South Florida Bulls in the 2005 Meineke Car Care Bowl. Diaz also served as special teams coordinator and the kickoff return unit finished fifth nationally, while the punt return team blocked four kicks.

In his first year as safeties coach and special teams coordinator in 2004, NC State's defense finished the year as the top-ranked unit in the country in total defense. The Wolfpack defense also held national powers Ohio State and Florida State to under 130 yards of total offense during the season. His 2004 special teams at NC State also had three blocked punts and two returns for touchdowns.

In 2002, his first year as a full-time coach, Diaz helped the Wolfpack to one of their best seasons ever, finishing 11–3 and defeating Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl. He shared in the play-calling duties, and NC State ended the year ranked 14th nationally in total defense and 10th in scoring defense. In back-to-back games against Florida State and Notre Dame, NC State did not allow an offensive touchdown.

Middle Tennessee
In four years under Diaz, the Middle Tennessee defense led its conference in sacks and tackles for loss twice, and finished no lower than third in the league in either category during his tenure. In 2009, the Blue Raiders finished second nationally in tackles for loss, stopping more than eight and a half plays per game behind the line of scrimmage. Diaz's defense also ranked sixth nationally in sacks that season, posting nearly three per game.

Overall, Diaz' unit produced 17 all-conference players during his time there and put up three of the top four fewest yards allowed averages at Middle Tennessee in its FBS era.

Mississippi State
In 2010 with the Mississippi State Bulldogs, Diaz guided a defense that ranked 22nd in the nation in scoring defense (19.9 ppg), 17th in rushing defense (214.9 ypg) and 17th in tackles for loss (7.0 pg). That was a dramatic turnaround for MSU from the season prior to his arrival. In 2009, the defense finished 71st in scoring defense, 62nd in rushing defense and 89th in TFL. Mississippi State also finished ranked 13th in red zone defense (.73) and 22nd in turnovers forced (28) nationally this season.

Texas
In 2012, Diaz guided the Texas Longhorns to the worst defense in school history.

Louisiana Tech
In his lone season as defensive coordinator at Louisiana Tech, the Bulldogs led FBS in turnovers gained (42) with 16 fumble recoveries and 26 interceptions.

Second stint at Mississippi State
Diaz spent the 2015 season with the Bulldogs, where his unit held opponents to 23.2 points per game and ranked in the nation’s top 10 in red zone defense and tackles for loss.

His stint as the DC for Miami is equally impressive.
Miami[edit]
On January 2, 2016, University of Miami football head coach Mark Richt named Miami native Manny Diaz as the Hurricanes’ defensive coordinator for the start of the 2016 campaign.[7] In his first season at Miami, Diaz was a nominee for the Broyles Award, given to the top assistant coach in college football.[8] Diaz spent three seasons as the defensive coordinator under Richt. In his first year at the helm of the defense, Diaz's unit ranked No. 20 nationally in total defense, No. 9 in yards per play, No. 12 in scoring defense, No. 5 in tackles for loss, No. 22 in team sacks and tied for No. 8 in defensive touchdowns allowed.

In his final season as defensive coordinator in 2018, the Hurricanes ranked No. 2 in NCAA in total defense and ranked No. 1 in several categories, including tackles for loss, third down conversion percentage and passing yards allowed

Reactions: Thigh Man
I think the Gators will win. If Richt couldn't win at Miami, I doubt the new coach can come in and win against Florida. Thug U vs. Thug II U.

Reactions: king ward
Florida should win. Mullen is the better coach, with the whole summer to prepare. Not to mention Miami is starting a freshman qb.

I am rooting for the Hurricanes! Hoping that this opening game defeat will make Florida crumble like a house of cards. Hate them Gators. We had them by their throats last year and we all know what then happened!

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I think UF wins and covers. I also think they are overrated.

I hear that Fla has concerns on the OL, and Miami's DL is the strength of their team. It will be a close game. If I was betting it I would take Miami +7.

I'll be pulling for the NCAA vs both of those institutions, but they don't EVER seem to beat any of the teams I hate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT