ADVERTISEMENT

Football Operations Center

Some fans aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. I think you are reading too much into a 140 character tweet. Many on this board piss and moan about rising ticket prices and seat licenses.... this is why they do these things! If I was reading between the lines of the Tweet, I thought it meant, "we're not doing something stupid like building a lazer tag facility in our ops center, but stuff that relates to football." From what I've seen, this will be big for recruits when you put it next to the Indoor Facility, along with all the other recent stuff (Dodie etc).

Saw a couple of good artiles on the USC's web site from former players this week... Gilmore and Swearinger about playing at SC. Good message to target in-state guys I thought.
He didn't let Hyman go cheap when he got his baseball stadium built. There was no "maybe not to the extent you've heard at other places" caveats.

Reactions: RaginRooster
This isn't saying that Clemsons will be better, but they sunk $55 million into there football complex. We are planning to build one for $30 million.

Our building is costing 50 to 55 million as well, the 30 million number is what they would like to collect in private donations. We will be able to add the silly stuff later, after all they need things to do in Clemson, after all it is not Columbia.

Reactions: uscbeckham
Our building is costing 50 to 55 million as well, the 30 million number is what they would like to collect in private donations. We will be able to add the silly stuff later, after all they need things to do in Clemson, after all it is not Columbia.
Add ons never look as good as the original. And its about having it all in one place imo.

Recruits like the silly stuff and we need to do everything we can to get the best recruits.

He didn't let Hyman go cheap when he got his baseball stadium built. There was no "maybe not to the extent you've heard at other places" caveats.

AMEN ^^^^. Nary a word of protest from our former baseball coach as we purchased more land (which I totally applauded) and proceeded to add a player lounge room, batting practice area, etc., all of which were 'top drawer' additions/modifications - which were great - I AGREE 100%, but don't short change the main bread winner (football) for your entire athletic program.

I read the same thing. When you also compare SC's total facilities to that of the taters, SC wins in most areas to include new Baseball Complex, new Track and Field, new Softball (taters don't have this sport), new Academic Support Bldg (Dodie), CLA vs Tater Little John, new Tennis Facility etc etc.. So basically the taters put almost everything into FB with their West Zone project and new FB operations facility, right or wrong, and just upgrade their baseball and basketball existing facilities. Don't forget all the money SC spent on all the improvements at and around WB Stadium as well. We started from behind, and have been using the SEC money to upgrade everything across the board. The new SC FB operations facility will be 1st rate.

Taking into account practice fields, indoor practice facility, and the operations building, who in the SEC will have better? Alabama and Texas A&M? I do not think anybody else will come close that includes Auburn UGA and Florida. Yeah Clemson's might be better as well.

Small? . . . and just how wide? How long has Tanner been 'learning on the job'? In the 'real world' by now a top Chairman of the Board would say to him, 'Enough is enough!'

I agree. We shouldn't be hiring folks that have to be trained on the job. That was the point about learning curve lol

Taking into account practice fields, indoor practice facility, and the operations building, who in the SEC will have better? Alabama and Texas A&M? I do not think anybody else will come close that includes Auburn UGA and Florida. Yeah Clemson's might be better as well.
The SEC is yesterday's news.

I read the same thing. When you also compare SC's total facilities to that of the taters, SC wins in most areas to include new Baseball Complex, new Track and Field, new Softball (taters don't have this sport), new Academic Support Bldg (Dodie), CLA vs Tater Little John, new Tennis Facility etc etc.. So basically the taters put almost everything into FB with their West Zone project and new FB operations facility, right or wrong, and just upgrade their baseball and basketball existing facilities. Don't forget all the money SC spent on all the improvements at and around WB Stadium as well. We started from behind, and have been using the SEC money to upgrade everything across the board. The new SC FB operations facility will be 1st rate.

Will 1st rate be better than the top 3 or so in our conference? If not we are just doing what the joneses have already done for years

Recruits like the silly stuff and we need to do everything we can to get the best recruits.

It's kinda like winning a free vacation and had a brochure of different places to go and 1 had hotub, swimming pool, putt-putt etc and other places had 1-2 of these things.which vacation would u take?unless ur the type of person not into the bells and whistles or u just a fan.its a no brainer on where to go..just my thoughts on it..

Some fans aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. I think you are reading too much into a 140 character tweet. Many on this board piss and moan about rising ticket prices and seat licenses.... this is why they do these things! If I was reading between the lines of the Tweet, I thought it meant, "we're not doing something stupid like building a lazer tag facility in our ops center, but stuff that relates to football." From what I've seen, this will be big for recruits when you put it next to the Indoor Facility, along with all the other recent stuff (Dodie etc).

Saw a couple of good artiles on the USC's web site from former players this week... Gilmore and Swearinger about playing at SC. Good message to target in-state guys I thought.

I think what fans want is a return on the investment. More money for seating? License fees? Fine, but if we're gonna pay big boy money we best get big boy results on the field and big boy facilities off the field.

I'm not an anti-Tanner guy, but why oh why did he undermine our future facilities less than a week before signing day? Recruits want to hear their potential schools say, "We're the best, our facilities are the best, and we want the best players." They don't want to hear, "We don't have what the Joneses have." I can see how you interpret it, but I think the recruits (and a large number of our fans) interpret it the other way.

I agree with you on the Gilmore and Swearinger articles. Those were great and we need to be pumping things like that out CONSTANTLY. Let's toot our own horn for Pete's sake!

We have $55 million to burn, and Mr. McNair just cut a check for 5. It's like the scoreboard, we were behind quite a few schools, but it was top of the line, then of course, schools after that bettered it somewhat. But, you do better than the best when you are following someone, not worse, not cheaping out. That you can prevent, you can't always help what happens after
I've lost count of the cheap crap this school has done over thirty years. Ya know, always a quick fix that most dumb fans get excited about. I still laugh at the ignorance of so so so many fans who would argue with me in the early years of the SEC. LMAO!! I went to every away game. I saw the comparison. They were completely convinced that our facilities matched anybody in the SEC. Unbelievable stupidity by our fanbase.

Not only is he saying it's not as good as the others, but we are willfully making it (not) so. But, you want the wins, and dollars to keep flowing. I would say Gamecock fans will stop buying tickets, but most are too loyal

Then THAT is what Tanner SHOULD have said instead of what he said. Accentuate the positive...not the negative. Because all he actually said is that "it wasn't as good as others."
That is true, I just looked at Texas A&M football complex, take out the stadium and ours will be better. Looking at UGA and Florida, ours is better.

Not many schools will have a 24,000 sq foot weight room. I do not think Clemson's is bigger. Our football players will have the best when it comes to training. Yeah the water fall would have been nice.

It was just announced today that the bowling alley won't be coming downtown, so why not put one in for the players?

The way I would've framed it is something like this:
"In designing the Football Operations Facility, we did so with the emotional, educational and physical well-being of our student-athletes on our football program as our primary, secondary and tertiary objective. As a result, our facility is one of the best, if not the best, facilities in the country for the well-being of the student-athlete. If it is later determined that our student-athletes have sufficient time and would get sufficient enjoyment out of a playground, it will be very simple to do so and we will add one."

Then leave it to other teams to defend their "bells and whistles" as in the best interest of their student-athletes.

Reactions: cooper1199
Looks like a nice facility over all.

I didn't see the put-put course, bowling alley, nap rooms, or slide like Clemson's has though. No waterfall like Bama either. Guess that's what Tanner's talking about.

If you're just here to talk football, then why do you force Clemson or Dabo into every comment you make on every thread? It's getting tiresome.

Whatever cool stuff we might add, it should be kept a secret from anyone that doesn't need to know. It would be great if it has so many wow factors (unknown of course) that even Bammer says damn, that is ridiculous! Check Oregon for ideas. Theirs was probably better than the Tates 5 years ago. Yeah, I realize where their program is right now, but 2 NC appearances in since 2010, and one of the best records in CFB during that time, I would take in an instant. Taggart (if he can keep his staff intact) is about to crush it in recruiting. He also must keep Rosewood out of trouble.

I simply look at it like this, and it takes a great deal of vision to go with a great deal of dollars but USC is arguably the most loyal school in CFB, where fans continue to pay big bucks via tix, seat licenses, GC Club dues, travel, etc...etc...for what many have said is a mediocre program. Probably true. How much would the cash flow increase if we made it to the playoffs? To a NC? That's the only way to look at it. Everything else is just fielding a program for the fun of it.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/31/4574556/oregon-football-building-new

Not many schools will have a 24,000 sq foot weight room. I do not think Clemson's is bigger. Our football players will have the best when it comes to training. Yeah the water fall would have been nice.

If I'm not mistaken,in the video it said Clemson will have the biggest weight room in the country..I'll have to go back and look to be sure tho..

Tanner also said it is going to take TWO years to build. Boom may not even have the opportunity to show it off. This is why we must give him time. I will say I am HIGHLY disappointed on a project approved on DEC 2015 will be finished in 2019. We have NO urgency in any of our planning. The taters have a bigger one completed in a year. This is why we are in the place we are now. Blame Spurrier all you want, and he deserves ALOT, BUT OUR ADMINISTRATION DOES NOT GET IT.

Tanner also said it is going to take TWO years to build. Boom may not even have the opportunity to show it off. This is why we must give him time. I will say I am HIGHLY disappointed on a project approved on DEC 2015 will be finished in 2019. We have NO urgency in any of our planning. The taters have a bigger one completed in a year. This is why we are in the place we are now. Blame Spurrier all you want, and he deserves ALOT, BUT OUR ADMINISTRATION DOES NOT GET IT.
^^^^ this guy gets it

Reactions: 67gamecock

keep in mind that Dabo sold commercial real estate when he was out of coaching. to do that, you have to be able to convince people that their multi-million dollar plant will be secure for the long term on the land you're selling them. the laser tag and bowling alley are only partly there so that the athletes can have fun. they're also there because they say to a recruit "our program is so stable, and we are so successful, that we can toss in laser tag and a place to get haircuts, just because.....it's one of the reasons Russian chess masters back in the old days used to run around with half-a-dozen seconds. It was a psychological way of telling players from other countries "there's no point in playing your best, because we will simply overpower you."

Reactions: 67gamecock
My guy tells me he's hiding a big surprise that no one will know about until it opens. Maybe a roller coaster or baseball field.....it's going to have some bells and whistles that the one in tatertown doesn't have. Can't imagine RT would say something like that without a trick up his sleeve.

My guy tells me he's hiding a big surprise that no one will know about until it opens. Maybe a roller coaster or baseball field.....it's going to have some bells and whistles that the one in tatertown doesn't have. Can't imagine RT would say something like that without a trick up his sleeve.
did you mean to say gut or did someone tell you this?

Reactions: cooper1199
keep in mind that Dabo sold commercial real estate when he was out of coaching. to do that, you have to be able to convince people that their multi-million dollar plant will be secure for the long term on the land you're selling them. the laser tag and bowling alley are only partly there so that the athletes can have fun. they're also there because they say to a recruit "our program is so stable, and we are so successful, that we can toss in laser tag and a place to get haircuts, just because.....it's one of the reasons Russian chess masters back in the old days used to run around with half-a-dozen seconds. It was a psychological way of telling players from other countries "there's no point in playing your best, because we will simply overpower you."

Did they end up with a laser tag too? I had a recruits father from 2 years ago tell me they were doing that, but did not know they did it.

As for the two buildings, I think they both cost about the same amount of money. I think their's is 55 million and our's 50 million, but theirs is 30-40,000 sq feet bigger. The price per square foot is like $385 to our $450-500.Not sure if we are at 100k or 110k, (I have seen both numbers) So either ours will be build better and nicer or Clemson negotiated a much better deal. What is miss is the imagination that Clemson has put into it. That is really surprising considering their plans have been known for so long

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT