ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

mUSChampion

May 22, 2016
I know recruiting is very exciting to alot of people we seem to be picking up alot of commitments.Is anybody concerned that we may be jumping the gun a little early on some of the kids we're taking,or should we do as Kornblut always says and "trust the coaches"?

I know recruiting is very exciting to alot of people we seem to be picking up alot of commitments.Is anybody concerned that we may be jumping the gun a little early on some of the kids we're taking,or should we do as Kornblut always says and "trust the coaches"?
No, I think they should let you make the recruiting decisions! :rolleyes:

Nope. I worry more about the last-minute guys. Early commits are usually loyal, accept instruction/suggestions (running, lifting, conditioning, personal drills to work on) and often help influence other athletes to 'join them'. They've already impressed the coaches - most have proven good characters instead of being 'characters'.

I really like the instate approach just hope we are taking the best ones.I believe Clemson is snubbing or overlooking alot of these kids which will cost them in the long run.If Champ can establish a great relationship with alot of these instate coaches it will pay dividends.

Almost look at some of this years recruiting as a loss leader. Maybe take a few instate kids who maybe normally you wouldn't just to establish some good feelings with coaches in the state, so hopefully down the road they'll send their top talent our way. Just gotta hope there will be some high level talent to send.

Looking at the recruiting so far and YES I AM WORRIED. Too many diamonds in the rough. We are getting farther and farther behind in recruiting in our division, our conference and CLEMSON which kills me.

I am not knocking our current recruits, but I think that the offers are going out a little too early to a bunch of these kids that could be slow played and fill the holes if needed much later in the recruiting season.

We have 3 recruits, Douglas, Smith and Bryan with multiple Power 5 offers. We have 8 players where well..... look for yourself.

I don't see how we can win on the field when we get out recruited like this. I am not going to compare our team to Georgia, Clemson, LSU etc. Again, look for yourself, its not pretty. It looks like we are going head to head with Coastal Carolina and SC State for these guys.
  • Davonne Bowen - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: App State, Army, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Elon, Furman, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Maryland, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Old Dominion
  • Devonte Wyatt - No Stars - No RR Offer List: NC State, South Alabama, South Florida, Troy
  • Jay Urich - *** - RR 5.7 Offer List: App State, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, South Carolina State
  • Dennis Daley - *** - RR 5.6 Offer List: Louisville
  • Tyreek Johnson - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: Coastal Carolina, Duke
  • Summie Carlay - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State, Southern Miss
  • Damani Staley - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: East Carolina, Georgia Tech
  • Will Register - **** - RR 5.8 Offer List: Charlotte, Clemson, Michigan
  • Eric Douglas - *** - RR 5.6 Offer List: California, Clemson, East Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
  • Shawn Smith - *** - RR 5.7 Offer List: Auburn, Cincinnati, Duke, Florida, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Mississippi State, UCF, West Virginia
  • Kyshaun Bryan: - **** - RR 5.8 Offer List: Clemson, Duke, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami (FL), Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCF, Virginia Tech, West Virginia.
ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS AS A MOJOR PROBLEM????

I really like the instate approach just hope we are taking the best ones.I believe Clemson is snubbing or overlooking alot of these kids which will cost them in the long run.If Champ can establish a great relationship with alot of these instate coaches it will pay dividends.
This is a major mistake. We recruit a majority of average (RR 5.5 - 5.6) 3 star recruits to hopefully create good will for the off chance that there is a stud at some point in the future?? Florida and Texas are the only 2 states I know of that this would work for because they are loaded.

Say we landed 7 of the top 10 kids from SC each year for the next 4 years and the flamers to the north pulled 3 (likely the top 3 the way its going now) and then pull like they are from other states and keep winning the way they are.

I think the Citadel game will stay competitive for near future.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Depends on what your expectations for the program are? You want to be a perennial SEC championship contender and occasional national title contender. Then it's a monster problem.
If you want program to be perennial bowl team and occasionally upset a top program, then I think our recruiting is fine.

Depends on what your expectations for the program are? You want to be a perennial SEC championship contender and occasional national title contender. Then it's a monster problem.
If you want program to be perennial bowl team and occasionally upset a top program, then I think our recruiting is fine.
Right now we need to get back to being a perennial bowl team. In a few years, I'm hoping we are recruiting to be an SEC contender. Mushchamp has his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail. I'm sure he would prefer to have a bunch of 4-5* commits but it's due to a lack of effort.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Hell, I'd be happy with any bowl game this year, maybe next, but I would prefer to see an upper tear bowl game in the next couple years and then who knows.

The way things look to me now (and Im no expert), we will be in the bottom half of our division, the bottom quarter of our conference and left out of any real bowl games for the foreseeable future. We need to be recruiting and landing kids that other SEC.... HELL even ACC teams are offering.

I don't believe the "Lock Down SC" is gonna cut it unless our goal is to be runner up in South Carolina at the end of the year every year.

I've noticed this trend and am a bit uneasy about it myself. I'm trying to withhold judgement though until I see what our coaching staff actually does with these players that they've evaluated and recruited. If they have spotted potential that they know they can unlock and utilize, then great! It will bear out. However, if not, well....... we'll know for sure in a couple of years.

Most 3-star or higher-rated players coming out of HS could make the team, play for and make a positive contribution at any college in America. Many of those players will later play in the NFL.
Who's recruited by whom involves a ton of different factors, but it rarely works out to recruit multiple highly rated players at the same skill position if they're QB's or RB's ... though it's great at WR, OL, DL and DB.
A GREAT kicker helps.
Desire helps.
Motivation helps.
Our Gamecock team that beat then undefeated defending National Champion Alabama was a very good team, but we weren't 'better' than Alabama. That day we were simply better prepared and better coached, we made important plays, hit the open receiver, followed our blocks, made tackles and wanted it more. The fans were CRAZY - the place was loud, we BELIEVED we could win and our 3-stars (plus a pretty decent 5-star Freshman RB) beat 'em.
Yea, Julio Jones caught his share - but SO did Alshon.
Marcus averaged 4-yards a carry ... our "D" held a Heisman Trophy winner (Mark Ingram) to 41 yards.
BOOM will have 'em ready ... we WILL be 'relative' in college football again. We ARE going to win - a LOT.

Most 3-star or higher-rated players coming out of HS could make the team, play for and make a positive contribution at any college in America. Many of those players will later play in the NFL.
Who's recruited by whom involves a ton of different factors, but it rarely works out to recruit multiple highly rated players at the same skill position if they're QB's or RB's ... though it's great at WR, OL, DL and DB.
A GREAT kicker helps.
Desire helps.
Motivation helps.
Our Gamecock team that beat then undefeated defending National Champion Alabama was a very good team, but we weren't 'better' than Alabama. That day we were simply better prepared and better coached, we made important plays, hit the open receiver, followed our blocks, made tackles and wanted it more. The fans were CRAZY - the place was loud, we BELIEVED we could win and our 3-stars (plus a pretty decent 5-star Freshman RB) beat 'em.
Marcus averaged 4-yards a carry ... our "D" held a Heisman Trophy winner (Mark Ingram) to 41 yards.
BOOM will have 'em ready ... we WILL be 'relative' in college football again. We ARE going to win - a LOT.

Sometimes you post some pretty nutty stuff.... but I agree with everything you are saying with the exception of the last sentence. In time we hope to win a LOT, but we are no where near that for the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong.

Sometimes you post some pretty nutty stuff.... but I agree with everything you are saying with the exception of the last sentence. In time we hope to win a LOT, but we are no where near that for the foreseeable future. I hope I am wrong.

And we should wait why? We should 'expect' to lose why? We HAVE good coaches, great facilities and some very GOOD players NOW.
Ain't no 'magic bullet' every time. Deshaun Watson is such a player for clemson, but even without him they would probably win 8-9 games.
We're good enough NOW to win pretty consistently ... MAYBE not 10+ right away but pretty good. FAR BETTER than the 'bowl eligible' teams of yesteryear.

After the 3rd straight season of 11 wins in 2013 I never would have believed we would only have 10 wins in the next 2 seasons combined.I guess the national media didn't believe it either since we started the 2014 season with an ap ranking of 9th.

First of all, we cannot sign all the kids we have offered. We won't have room so some picking and selecting will go on for both parties. Some may not qualify. There may be some who we haven't offered who perform so well they will be offered. We'll have to see how their season plays out and how well they perform. I just hope the best ones we've offered come our way.

A GREAT kicker helps.
Desire helps.
Motivation helps.

Rah, Rah! That's a lot of nice cheerleading but no substance whatsoever. The fact remains we will have basically the same players who could only win 3 games last year and lost to the Citadel, minus of course our best defensive player. A review of the recruits coming in does not reveal any real game changers joining the fold this year. The list for next year so far isn't any better. It looks like we may be stuck for a while. My initial optimism over Muschamp is waning with every recruit we get the services for by beating out Troy and South Alabama in recruiting. I am not a believer in the "star" system, but I am a believer that the best players are recruited by the biggest and best schools.

Our schedule sets up well this year, so I think the first 4 games will tell a lot about where this team will be headed for the next few years. If we win these 4 games, build some momentum and gain confidence then we could have a decent year. Success breeds success. If we do well this year we should be able to amp up the recruiting later for next years class and end up with a much better group than it appears at present. On the other hand if we lose 2 or 3 of these games it will be a long year as the schedule only gets tougher. Another bad year could have terrible consequences in recruiting going forward.

Rah, Rah! That's a lot of nice cheerleading but no substance whatsoever. The fact remains we will have basically the same players who could only win 3 games last year and lost to the Citadel, minus of course our best defensive player. A review of the recruits coming in does not reveal any real game changers joining the fold this year. The list for next year so far isn't any better. It looks like we may be stuck for a while. My initial optimism over Muschamp is waning with every recruit we get the services for by beating out Troy and South Alabama in recruiting. I am not a believer in the "star" system, but I am a believer that the best players are recruited by the biggest and best schools.

Our schedule sets up well this year, so I think the first 4 games will tell a lot about where this team will be headed for the next few years. If we win these 4 games, build some momentum and gain confidence then we could have a decent year. Success breeds success. If we do well this year we should be able to amp up the recruiting later for next years class and end up with a much better group than it appears at present. On the other hand if we lose 2 or 3 of these games it will be a long year as the schedule only gets tougher. Another bad year could have terrible consequences in recruiting going forward.

Substance? HA! Maybe a 'tad' rah rah but your tome reads like instructions on what to do if your parachute falls off. Or maybe what it's like to report to your friend who's been bitten by a snake in his privates when told by 911 to 'suck out all the poison' that he's gonna' die. I agree 100% the 1st few games will set the tone ... that's true every year.

As for who will be our 'best' defensive player that's something we don't know yet. This is an entirely new year.

Reactions: Tigerof66
I'm not concerned.Better to have a Southern Conference roster than no roster at all. I'm sanguine.

I really think there is talent on the roster. Especially in the front 7. Lewis Sawyer BAW Griffin are all very good players who were not coached. Whitlow and Blackshear have tons of potential. You can't base expectations solely on roster as coaches are much better. Am concerned about inexperience on offense. There is talent but not much experience. Feel like we will have to rely on some true freshman on offense. How they play may determine what kind of season we have

We are having to pay for what Spurrier left us. Our coaches are having to build relationships. Kids are in a wait and see and show me mode. It's going to take time. If you thought we were going to just start reeling them in, your crazy. I usually follow recruiting like crazy but right now I just look at it with one eye closed.

Reactions: humble servant
Well, the staff watches miles of film, they have them in camp etc. so they aren't grabbing blindly for players. In some cases they are recruiting a most likely redshirt they can coach and mold is what I believe. I noticed a couple, let's say questionable pickups, but hey, who knows what they'll be in a couple seasons. I'm like Reagan, trust but verify and this year and down the road will verify I reckon.

If we start back signing ave classes in women's basketball we will be a middle of the road program.

Stars matter

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
We are having to pay for what Spurrier left us. Our coaches are having to build relationships. Kids are in a wait and see and show me mode. It's going to take time. If you thought we were going to just start reeling them in, your crazy. I usually follow recruiting like crazy but right now I just look at it with one eye closed.
Fork,wasn't expecting to reel em in just expected a higher quality of prospects considering how strong we finished up recruiting last year.

Based in the recruiting backgrounds of the coaches on our current staff I think it's safe to say they know what they're doing when it comes to evaluating and getting commitments from quality players. I think once everything shakes out we'll have a solid signing class for 2017.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
It amazes me that Spurrier accomplished so much but left us so bare.

I suppose people will continue to sign-up to beat a dead horse forever.

For the record we're Top-25 right now in recruit commits ahead of (among about 100 other schools) So. Cal, 12-win Houston, Penn State, Texas, Stanford, Michigan St., Tennessee, Florida, TCU, UCLA, Arkansas, Oregon and many, Many, MANY more.

BOOM has made tremendous progress, he closed strong this winter and he's still at it. We'll be 'back' before you know it ... having never been there before (UP then down) it'll probably take as much to convince some as it did to teach us the 1st time we COULD be good 'ever' - that we COULD smack VERY GOOD clemson teams FIVE years in a row - that ALL THAT is possible.

Smacking Clemson 5 years in a row was great but we are staring down the barrel of being smacked 3 in a row.Im just a little frustrated, I apologize.

Reactions: king ward
Looking at the recruiting so far and YES I AM WORRIED. Too many diamonds in the rough. We are getting farther and farther behind in recruiting in our division, our conference and CLEMSON which kills me.

I am not knocking our current recruits, but I think that the offers are going out a little too early to a bunch of these kids that could be slow played and fill the holes if needed much later in the recruiting season.

We have 3 recruits, Douglas, Smith and Bryan with multiple Power 5 offers. We have 8 players where well..... look for yourself.

I don't see how we can win on the field when we get out recruited like this. I am not going to compare our team to Georgia, Clemson, LSU etc. Again, look for yourself, its not pretty. It looks like we are going head to head with Coastal Carolina and SC State for these guys.
  • Davonne Bowen - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: App State, Army, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Elon, Furman, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Maryland, Miami (OH), Minnesota, Old Dominion
  • Devonte Wyatt - No Stars - No RR Offer List: NC State, South Alabama, South Florida, Troy
  • Jay Urich - *** - RR 5.7 Offer List: App State, Coastal Carolina, Mercer, South Carolina State
  • Dennis Daley - *** - RR 5.6 Offer List: Louisville
  • Tyreek Johnson - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: Coastal Carolina, Duke
  • Summie Carlay - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: Coastal Carolina, South Carolina State, Southern Miss
  • Damani Staley - *** - RR 5.5 Offer List: East Carolina, Georgia Tech
  • Will Register - **** - RR 5.8 Offer List: Charlotte, Clemson, Michigan
  • Eric Douglas - *** - RR 5.6 Offer List: California, Clemson, East Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri, North Carolina State, Penn State, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, West Virginia
  • Shawn Smith - *** - RR 5.7 Offer List: Auburn, Cincinnati, Duke, Florida, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Mississippi State, UCF, West Virginia
  • Kyshaun Bryan: - **** - RR 5.8 Offer List: Clemson, Duke, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami (FL), Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCF, Virginia Tech, West Virginia.
ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS AS A MOJOR PROBLEM????
I keep looking for someone with more than 3 stars. I sorta had that lost leader thought before I read it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT