ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

[QUOTE="GlobeTrottingCock, post: 2401527, member: 83054"]It's easy for us fans to get nervous when we don't see 4/5 star guys committing early in the cycle but keep in mind this staff had very little time last year and signed a really good class. I think that proves they can close well. I'll wait and see but I think this class will end up being solid.[/QUOTE]

I so much respect you giving these coaches the respect they've been earning. They were thrown into a TOUGH, abysmal Carolina situation (ranking like #78--with basically one month of real time to convince good athletes to come to Carolina. And those athletes had been developing other relationships for 2 years. ) We all know of the total uncertainty after this 2015 THREE WIN season we'd just had.
Nobody believed in our program/Professional pundits were putting down the program at every cheap opportunity. And so, If we can't have some faith w/ what is aforementioned (on paper) as arguably the best coaching staff in Carolina history, how the hel- WOULD we have been MORE confident had we ended up w/ a head coach of lesser drive to master past lessons ?? So, let's quit that "if Muschamp couldn't win at Florida".
I don't buy it !---no matter HOW many of the so-called experts preach that half-truth ! The experts haven't CORRECTLY predicted the winner of the SEC Eastern Division 2 years in a row since my Grandmother was in her diapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlobeTrottingCock
Ah, I see. You were talking about the student body. You can look at almost any university and see kids from all over the country. I was specifically referring to the football team. In which case the ACC has no market in Tennessee so it still seems a little odd that a highly rated RB would choose an ACC school over the home team UT. I'm not crying at all. I'm just pointing out that it seems a little fishy.

It's all about the QB recruit from Indiana, who sought out Clemson. That's the main reason that Tee Martin's kid is committed to Clemson instead of Tennessee or to USC where he coaches. I do think I hear some crying, but it might be somebody else.

I so much respect you giving these coaches the respect they've been earning. They were thrown into a TOUGH, abysmal Carolina situation (ranking like #78--with basically one month of real time to convince good athletes to come to Carolina. And those athletes had been developing other relationships for 2 years. ) We all know of the total uncertainty after this 2015 THREE WIN season we'd just had.
Nobody believed in our program/Professional pundits were putting down the program at every cheap opportunity. And so, If we can't have some faith w/ what is aforementioned (on paper) as arguably the best coaching staff in Carolina history, how the hel- WOULD we have been MORE confident had we ended up w/ a head coach of lesser drive to master past lessons ?? So, let's quit that "if Muschamp couldn't win at Florida".
I don't buy it !---no matter HOW many of the so-called experts preach that half-truth ! The experts haven't CORRECTLY predicted the winner of the SEC Eastern Division 2 years in a row since my Grandmother was in her diapers.

This!!! Our coaches are as aggressive about going after kids they want as any program in the country. I have no doubts about that. Let's support them and be happy when a player they deem worthy of an offer decides to come here. I for one like what I'm seeing from the current coaching staff. I think it will take some time but I truly believe our program is headed up with the right type of players (talent and good character) to create a foundation for sustained success. Given where this program was last year, patience is required by fans which is hard for all of us.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I think it will take some time but I truly believe our program is headed up with the right type of players (talent and good character) to create a foundation for sustained success. Given where this program was last year, patience is required by fans which is hard for all of us.

I am with you on these points. The problem really is the expectation of Carolina fans. Most are reasonable, but that vocal minority are still predicting an SEC east championship this year and it is not fair to the coaches or the players. They do not have the talent in house to be honest to make that move even with the majority of the east somewhat a question mark. The coaches need to prove themselves to recruits to get a buy in. Until that happens, Recruiting will not be great. I know the coaches get paid to evaluate not FGF, but it worries me to see a commitment over Troy or Coastal. That is a disgrace for a team in the SEC not named vandy. Columbia is turning into DeBeers with all the diamonds in the rough. Maybe that is all that will come today, but if Carolina is going to catch the SEC East and that other team, either every diamond starts to shine, or recruiting needs to take a significant uptick. I just guess as much as I agreed with you that this is a long process, I really hate to wait.

It's all about the QB recruit from Indiana, who sought out Clemson. That's the main reason that Tee Martin's kid is committed to Clemson instead of Tennessee or to USC where he coaches. I do think I hear some crying, but it might be somebody else.

Tee Martin is not on our staff but thanks for playing......

South Carolina now uses the UofSC abbreviation now to avoid confusion. USC is Southern Cal to 95% of the country.
Do you always pull statistics out of your ass? USC is still the University of South Carolina to anyone in the southeastern portion of the United States. Since you want to talk about perception around the rest of the country, I wonder how many people even know what state Clemson is in. I've already seen guesses on game shows that Clemson is in WV which seems pretty fitting.

Do you always pull statistics out of your ass? USC is still the University of South Carolina to anyone in the southeastern portion of the United States. Since you want to talk about perception around the rest of the country, I wonder how many people even know what state Clemson is in. I've already seen guesses on game shows that Clemson is in WV which seems pretty fitting.

That might be true, but they know what game they played in last year, and the recruits can seem to find it. We need to get to that point.

That might be true, but they know what game they played in last year, and the recruits can seem to find it. We need to get to that point.
Most of the country only remembers who won, Alabama. clemsux is nothing. many people ask what is a clemsux? or think it's in GA or NC.

But thanks for joining, TODAY. Great post #1!

Reactions: funktavious
Most of the country only remembers who won, Alabama. clemsux is nothing. many people ask what is a clemsux? or think it's in GA or NC.

But thanks for joining, TODAY. Great post #1!

Thank you. I figured everybody has a first post. Maybe not. But I logged on to a football message board, saw a post that didnt address football, and it seemed appropriate to bring it back to, well, football. Maybe not. At any rate, people seem to know who cu is relative to football. Recruits find their way there. Many national outlets project them in the final game again, so they remember something. Probably wont happen, but the point is that people know. Was all I was saying. We need to get to that point.

Last edited:
Thank you. I figured everybody has a first post. Maybe not. But I logged on to a football message board, saw a post that didnt address football, and it seemed appropriate to bring it back to, well, football. Maybe not. At any rate, people seem to know who cu is relative to football. Recruits find their way there. Many national outlets project them in the final game again, so they remember something. Probably wont happen, but the point is that people know. Was all I was saying. We need to get to that point.
You aren't fooling anybody. Your "we" is full blown clemsux tater.

This is a major mistake. We recruit a majority of average (RR 5.5 - 5.6) 3 star recruits to hopefully create good will for the off chance that there is a stud at some point in the future?? Florida and Texas are the only 2 states I know of that this would work for because they are loaded.

Say we landed 7 of the top 10 kids from SC each year for the next 4 years and the flamers to the north pulled 3 (likely the top 3 the way its going now) and then pull like they are from other states and keep winning the way they are.

I think the Citadel game will stay competitive for near future.

Hey Einstein, while we appreciate your in depth analysis.........Rivals (who many on here feel are the gods of rankings which is comical)....has us ranked currently at #16 for the next class. I'd say that's not a bad start and there's still a long way to go.

Hey Einstein, while we appreciate your in depth analysis.........Rivals (who many on here feel are the gods of rankings which is comical)....has us ranked currently at #16 for the next class. I'd say that's not a bad start and there's still a long way to go.

Is a great class from the starting point. From this point the classes can rise or drop dramatically based on the next signees, but this is as good as could be expected at this point. Will take #16 for the year right now and call it good.

"USC" is really used mainly by people in SC, which is around 1.5% of the country. Put the words "football" and "USC" into a sentence anywhere else and they MAY ask you to clarify, but will probably just assume Southern Cal. 5% is reasonable.

It's UofSC now. Check the school websites and twitter.

"USC" is really used mainly by people in SC, which is around 1.5% of the country. Put the words "football" and "USC" into a sentence anywhere else and they MAY ask you to clarify, but will probably just assume Southern Cal. 5% is reasonable.

It's UofSC now. Check the school websites and twitter.
I talk to a lot of Georgia Tennessee fans who are from Georgia and Tennessee and they all refer to South Carolina as USC. Your 1.5% is pulled right out of your rear end.

Why are you bringing Colorado into the discussion?

i would say any Southeastern conference school would think USC was South Carolina, many ACC as well, so I would definitely agree with the "Majority" of the Nation's college football fans (Not Baseball) would think USC was Southern Calif.. but WAY over 10% think otherwise.(let alone 1%)

Is a great class from the starting point. From this point the classes can rise or drop dramatically based on the next signees, but this is as good as could be expected at this point. Will take #16 for the year right now and call it good.
I agree York right now Champ is recruiting based on hope and promise.He has yet to coach a game for us so the more he can sell the program the better. It's imperative to start the season on a strong note and recruiting momentum will continue to build.

Ty'son Williams, #1 player in state of sc 2015 is transferring from UNC. He's from Sumter. Had an offer from Clem but not SC. Have to sit 2 yrs if he goes to Clem, so surely he's in play here.

It's laughable to me that Clemson fans come over to this board and try to engage in their overly simplistic banter with Gamecock fans. So here you go tiggers:

Death Valley - LSU

Your mascot - LSU, Auburn, Missouri and an assortment of others

CU - Colorado

Your team's color - Syracuse

Where is Clemson? - I've lived in several states and the vast majority of people outside of the Carolinas have no idea what state it's in.

Academics - Clemson's entry requirements are more stringent than UCS's but the two schools have completely different missions. USC is the flagship university of the state and, as such, must serve a larger and more diverse student body. Even so we have the nation's #1 honors college, #1 undergrad Int'l business program and #1 graduate Int'l business program. And don't forget... Clemson officials actually confirmed they misrepresented data to improve academic rankings.

Finally, how about that national championship? - confirmed cheating that resulted in probation. Can you say asterisk???

Clemson fans on here making childish comments about who the real USC is should realize the university they pull for (and probably didn't even attend) is clearly less original than we are, less well known than we are and underperforms academically given the differences in our missions. Most importantly, Clemson's greatest accomplishments both academically and athletically are a direct result of cheating.

Now go away tiggers!!!

It's laughable to me that Clemson fans come over to this board and try to engage in their overly simplistic banter with Gamecock fans. So here you go tiggers:

Death Valley - LSU

CU - Colorado

Where is Clemson? - I've lived in several states and the vast majority of people outside of the Carolinas have no idea what state it's in.

Academics - Clemson's entry requirements are more stringent than UCS's but the two schools have completely different missions. USC is the flagship university of the state and, as such, must serve a larger and more diverse student body. Even so we have the nation's #1 honors college, #1 undergrad Int'l business program and #1 graduate Int'l business program. And don't forget... Clemson officials actually confirmed they misrepresented data to improve academic rankings.

Finally, how about that national championship? - confirmed cheating that resulted in probation. Can you say asterisk???

Clemson fans on here making childish comments about who the real USC is should realize the university they pull for (and probably didn't even attend) is clearly less original than we are, less well known than we are and underperforms academically given the differences in our missions. Most importantly, Clemson's greatest accomplishments both academically and athletically are a direct result of cheating.

Now go away tiggers!!!
The tiger is the most common mascot in all of sports. I'm not just saying that, it's a statistical fact. Do you see tigers roaming the upstate? Or even in the US? Was there a Revolutionary War hero named "The Tiger"? It has no historical relevance and is just a mascot that everyone else had already thought of.

The tiger is the most common mascot in all of sports. I'm not just saying that, it's a statistical fact. Do you see tigers roaming the upstate? Or even in the US? Was there a Revolutionary War hero named "The Tiger"? It has no historical relevance and is just a mascot that everyone else had already thought of.

The tiger and colors were brought to Clemson by some coach that had just left auburn.

The tiger and colors were brought to Clemson by some coach that had just left auburn.

I think it's slightly different than that. Riggs came from Auburn in 1896 and named the team after the Princeton tigers. Auburn was more commonly called the plainsmen until 1901, I think, but the tiger might have been a mascot before then, also after Princeton. The colors came from Virginia to Auburn and then to Clemson.

The clocktowers at Georgia Tech, Auburn and Clemson are very close in design. Tech or Auburn is the original.

Ty'son Williams, #1 player in state of sc 2015 is transferring from UNC. He's from Sumter. Had an offer from Clem but not SC. Have to sit 2 yrs if he goes to Clem, so surely he's in play here.

Death Valley - LSU

CU - Colorado

Now go away tiggers!!!

Lot of work there, whatever helps you sleep at night.

But as for "flagship" university, I'll give you 3 guesses which of the two schools has the higher proportion of students from SC.

Lot of work there, whatever helps you sleep at night.

But as for "flagship" university, I'll give you 3 guesses which of the two schools has the higher proportion of students from SC.

According to data from a quick search 31% of the student bodies at both universities are from out of state. Given how much larger USC is my point is reinforced... Carolina admits many more students from the state than Clemson and our admission criteria is lower than Clemson as a result which makes our academic achievements with several top ranked programs quite impressive. The other points I made were to lower myself to your level of insults. And I sleep soundly at night. If you can sleep soundly being so proud of Clemson with its hollow victories on the gridiron and in the national academic rankings that came from cheating and misrepresentation more power to you.

According to data from a quick search 31% of the student bodies at both universities are from out of state. Given how much larger USC is my point is reinforced... Carolina admits many more students from the state than Clemson and our admission criteria is lower than Clemson as a result which makes our academic achievements with several top ranked programs quite impressive. The other points I made were to lower myself to your level of insults. And I sleep soundly at night. If you can sleep soundly being so proud of Clemson with its hollow victories on the gridiron and in the national academic rankings that came from cheating and misrepresentation more power to you.

Not really sure what you consider to be insults, but you must be mistaken. If you research a little better, you'll find that UofSC is around 60% in-state for undergrads (~24k) and around 50% overall (~33k, counting grad and professional). Clemson is around 65% in-state for undergrads (~18k) and something less overall (~24k, grad and small to none professional).

I say that you gotta trust the coaches, but more often than not in college football you are what your recruiting rankings say you are.

There are plenty of exceptions out there. Georgia for one. Baylor and Missouri for two more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT