ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Being a Top 100 Research Instituion in the US (clemson is not) and having the #1 International Business program in the US, USC attracts students from all over the world.

Reactions: Tiger71
Being a Top 100 Research Instituion in the US (clemson is not) and having the #1 International Business program in the US, USC attracts students from all over the world.
It's funny how Clemson wanted to sling around all those education stats when they had Barker as the University President, you hear none of it now that they achieved this sudden football success.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but US News shows Clemson as the #61 research university in USA and USC (Carolina) does not make the "top 100", coming in at #108.

If you want to sling around stats, the "Smart Class" rating of schools offering "International Business/Trade/Commerce Degrees" shows Clemson with a rating of 94 (51% acceptance rate, 1840 average SAT and 13K tuition) and USC with rating of 93 (65%, 1815 and 11K). Carolina is a bit cheaper. It appears Clemson is more selective but not as cheap.

Losing makes taters much better. Their complete and total lack of any humbleness allows you to see how out of touch with reality they are and how out of align their priorities are. I have many tater friends but they certainly don't act like these guys that post on our board. I have never understood the mentality of going to your rivals board to stir the pot. It says a lot about the level of misery some people are really experiencing. Sure their team may be doing well, but there are obviously other issues in their life that are pretty bad for them to come here and act like children. The taters that post this junk on our board have no idea what perspective truly is.

Losing makes taters much better. Their complete and total lack of any humbleness allows you to see how out of touch with reality they are and how out of align their priorities are. I have many tater friends but they certainly don't act like these guys that post on our board. I have never understood the mentality of going to your rivals board to stir the pot. It says a lot about the level of misery some people are really experiencing. Sure their team may be doing well, but there are obviously other issues in their life that are pretty bad for them to come here and act like children. The taters that post this junk on our board have no idea what perspective truly is.

You ask the right question, but it applies to all fans. Same type of fans are on any rival's board. Likewise, my Clemson friends are not as anti SC as the posts on their boards, my SC friends not as anti Clemson as the posts on this board. Anti? Yes. As blindly irrational? No.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but US News shows Clemson as the #61 research university in USA and USC (Carolina) does not make the "top 100", coming in at #108.
Sorry but that would be incorrect. Any credible ranking does so by $ raised. At about $250million annually USC far out distances clemsux. In fact much of clemsux's research comes from sub awards handed to it by USC. But we're glad we could help you bafoons out. We do the same for SC State, Clafflin, etc.

so you completely skipped over the part where I said people in the states that have teams in the SEC all refer to South Carolina as USC?

Sorry. "Context" was meant to tell you that you didn't understand my original statement: SC is 1.5% of the country, so 5% using USC to refer to your school is generous. Now you need to understand further that 50% or more of the country doesn't know of either school, doesn't use USC to refer to anything, and can't find New York on a map. Now there is a third USC that actually uses the Clemson paw on their football helmets-figure that one oit.

Sorry but that would be incorrect. Any credible ranking does so by $ raised. At about $250million annually USC far out distances clemsux. In fact much of clemsux's research comes from sub awards handed to it by USC. But we're glad we could help you bafoons out. We do the same for SC State, Clafflin, etc.

No, not by money raised. The best measure is peer-reviewed journal articles. While related, money does not equal research.

The $250M number includes the total of all grants with any UofSC participation, some of which UofSC is only 10% of.

If you want to sling around stats, the "Smart Class" rating of schools offering "International Business/Trade/Commerce Degrees" shows Clemson with a rating of 94 (51% acceptance rate, 1840 average SAT and 13K tuition) and USC with rating of 93 (65%, 1815 and 11K). Carolina is a bit cheaper. It appears Clemson is more selective but not as cheap.

Here is what matters:

Starting salaries;

Clemson 50k
UofSC. 40k

Mid-career salaries;

Clemson 100k
UofSC. 80k

Here is what matters:

Starting salaries;

Clemson 50k
UofSC. 40k

Mid-career salaries;

Clemson 100k
UofSC. 80k

In all fairness, engineering majors pay more than sociology majors. Would have to compare apples to apples to assess how the degree is perceived in the marketplace. But if you want to compare regardless of major, its like asking who is the 'better' Univ, Ga Tech or Furman. A legit question, but a different one.

In all fairness, engineering majors pay more than sociology majors. Would have to compare apples to apples to assess how the degree is perceived in the marketplace. But if you want to compare regardless of major, its like asking who is the 'better' Univ, Ga Tech or Furman. A legit question, but a different one.

Engineering at UofSC is decent. A Clemson PhD is chair of the ME dept. The ChE dept is good and the EE dept gets rated high on one of the NRC scales (med-low on the other).

To be honest, there aren't many degrees more valuable than a HS diploma, but engineering is one of them. Too many kids choose worthless degrees at UofSC.

Look at polls of the top 10% of SC high school grads. A majority doesn't even consider UofSC.

Look at polls of the top 10% of SC high school grads. A majority doesn't even consider UofSC.

And consider this: if every Clemson enrollee from SC decided to go to UofSC, 9 out of 10 times that would displace someone currently at UofSC, and most of you would be bitter about both schools instead of one.

Engineering at UofSC is decent. A Clemson PhD is chair of the ME dept. The ChE dept is good and the EE dept gets rated high on one of the NRC scales (med-low on the other).

To be honest, there aren't many degrees more valuable than a HS diploma, but engineering is one of them. Too many kids choose worthless degrees at UofSC.

It is true that the govt and the banks have conspired to churn out 100's of thousands of graduates with a worthless degree and $150,000 in debt. Welcome to America.

It is true that the govt and the banks have conspired to churn out 100's of thousands of graduates with a worthless degree and $150,000 in debt. Welcome to America.

Liberal arts are useful, but not as a main area for all the kids that choose them as majors. There are only so many artist and writing jobs, and those mainly go to the higher end schools. And to go to grad school in that, you get very little in the ways of assistantship and after a doctorate the job market is even slimmer. Get a useful degree if you are going to spend the time and money, and study liberal arts as a hobby.

I did look into this. The UofSC website is either intentionally misleading or just plain out of date. Both UofSC and Clemson are rated as "highest research activity" universities by Carnegie, but the UofSC website claims that they are the only school in SC with that rating. UofSC was very slow to adopt the Web in the 90s (they weren't part of the original backbone), but that's no excuse for this sort of error.

You ask the right question, but it applies to all fans. Same type of fans are on any rival's board. Likewise, my Clemson friends are not as anti SC as the posts on their boards, my SC friends not as anti Clemson as the posts on this board. Anti? Yes. As blindly irrational? No.
Excellent analysis!

Take it up with US News! Methinks your bias would not allow a rational assessment.

That's at all schools. Universities shouldn't offer degrees that you can't get employeed with. I have an economics degree, and do well for myself, but I don't work in an economics field. At the end of the day, you have to position yourself where the money is.

Research expenditures for 2015-2016 (from official budget documents):

USC-Columbia : $135,159,341
Clemson : $152,219,000

Overhead is a big drain. For on-campus research, it's 46.5% for USC and 50% for Clemson. That's how you get to $250M that USC has to raise ($135M / 53.5% = $252M). If you want to game the numbers to make them higher than Clemson's, you can use the whole USC system's expenditures of $152,773,735.

But NOT on this board. And you know that. It was a cheap subtle jab, and you know it. I don't mind a jab every now and then, but make it obvious you are poking a little fun, instead of playing innocent.

Hey mUSCle, I wonder if that tater knows only 1.5% of the country even knows what state clemsux is located in? And I'm being serious. I get that question all the time even when traveling through states as close as Illinois.........they always mention our "your biggest rival is Clemson right?" Then the proverbial follow up....What state is Clemson in?

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
False. USC is Carolina to SEC fans. Those are the only fans that count anyway.

But CU is Colorado to 99% of the country.

CU is probably Colorado to 25% of the country (that includes Colorado alumni and pretty much all college sports fans). SEC fans very well might represent more than 5% of the country. You have to take that 25% total that represents college sports fans and figure out how to divide it among the conferences.

Hey mUSCle, I wonder if that tater knows only 1.5% of the country even knows what state clemsux is located in? And I'm being serious. I get that question all the time even when traveling through states as close as Illinois.........they always mention our "your biggest rival is Clemson right?" Then the proverbial follow up....What state is Clemson in?
I've heard the same thing, id say 40% think NC, 40% think GA, and 20% SC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT