ADVERTISEMENT

For everyone saying athletes should get paid...

Uncle Money

Nov 26, 2006
I hate to break it to you, but that would not have prevented the current scandal at all. Think it through.....an athlete gets $500 per game ( or whatever) as a stipend and then is approached by a booster or adult or shoe company who offers some additional benefit like lunch, money, free swag...Is the athlete really going to say “Thanks, but I’m good with my $500 payment” and not take the extra benefits as well? Some of you are incredibly naive to think that any additional monies provided to students will take care of the problem when in reality it will just affect the marginal athlete...the top athletes will still get their extra benefits. Do I think the students should all share in some of the revenue, yes...but it doesn’t prevent P.J. or any other top athlete from violating the rules. Would not be surprised to see more names come out over time.

Yep, exactly. There will always be someone out there to sweeten the deal, and some of these kids will look for the sweetest deal they can get.

So glad to see this.....you get what you deserve.

Stars who play for free ( and don't give me this "they get a free education") who have the cameras on them, who perform at a high level for the financial benefit of others such as Universities, coaches , organizations, TV networks , etc.

...and people are shocked at this...........give me a break.

and this is the tip of the iceberg

i love it!!

Yep, exactly. There will always be someone out there to sweeten the deal, and some of these kids will look for the sweetest deal they can get.

I think I would if I were in their shoes.

I don't know if I'd say "I love it" but I think it does accurately show what's really going on and how rampant it is - especially in basketball and football.

I hate to break it to you, but that would not have prevented the current scandal at all. Think it through.....an athlete gets $500 per game ( or whatever) as a stipend and then is approached by a booster or adult or shoe company who offers some additional benefit like lunch, money, free swag...Is the athlete really going to say “Thanks, but I’m good with my $500 payment” and not take the extra benefits as well? Some of you are incredibly naive to think that any additional monies provided to students will take care of the problem when in reality it will just affect the marginal athlete...the top athletes will still get their extra benefits. Do I think the students should all share in some of the revenue, yes...but it doesn’t prevent P.J. or any other top athlete from violating the rules. Would not be surprised to see more names come out over time.

Who said they thought paying athletes would prevent this type of situation from happening, seriously, because I've never heard that claim.

Who said they thought paying athletes would prevent this type of situation from happening, seriously, because I've never heard that claim.

Go to the thread: ‘Revolting Development’ and see the comment by NaturalGC7....”It is a testament on why college athletes should receive some kind of payment along with tuition”. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen posters on this forum support paying athletes... just the latest example. That is why I posted it won’t work.

They are getting paid... The schools that have the common sense to know that, are winning championships

Let them secure sponsorships, endorsements. That way the schools don't have to pony up the dough and everyone is happy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT