ADVERTISEMENT

For Those on Here that Crap on Columbia 24/7...

The Oliver Gospel Mission is the oldest homeless shelter in the U.S. I think it's on the National Historic Registry, so I doubt it's going anywhere.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
What sense does it even make to bash Columbia if you live in SC and are proud to call it home? Columbia is our capital. It's like talking crap about your own family. If it has problems, why sit there and focus on those...it should be a place you love by definition. The State House. The university. Monuments. Our history. Our culture.

What sense does it even make to bash Columbia if you live in SC and are proud to call it home? Columbia is our capital. It's like talking crap about your own family. If it has problems, why sit there and focus on those...it should be a place you love by definition. The State House. The university. Monuments. Our history. Our culture.
The thing is that EVERY town has it's good and bad. Those that act like *insert town not named Columbia* doesn't have the same problems Columbia does are just trying to make themselves feel better about their own town.

Let's not forget that Greenville was on Live PD for a while too, and it wasn't all sunshine and roses.

Reactions: rogue cock
I work right across the street from Transitions, 2 blocks from Oliver Gospel Mission, and have had no such experiences which you describe. I walk Main Street regularly during lunch, and have no problems either.

FTR...I've seen many homeless people walking around downtown Greenville, when we are there for the game at Fluor.

If you don't see it then you must be a recipient of services at the corner of Bull and Confederate (Commission for the Blind). I work on Assembly St and encounter it every single day. The BP station on Elmwood is infested with them. I was accosted by one not long ago and when I told him to beat it he went over to a young lady who was by herself and started on her. I could tell she was frightened so I flagged down a police officer when I left to let him know about it. It happens 24/7. Apparently you don't walk down Calhoun or Park Sts either. The litter and filth is unbelievable. It is so bad, the owner of our building had to put up a steel fence around the building so he can lock it up at night to keep the scum off the property. I noticed too, that since the old Russell Jeffcoat Building has been vacated, the owners had to put up fencing around it to keep them out as well. If you can read, I am sure you have seen story after story about people having to avoid Finlay Park due to this problem. I could go on and on and on with true, real life situations about this, and yet you say you've never seen it. INCREDIBLE!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If you don't see it then you must be a recipient of services at the corner of Bull and Confederate (Commission for the Blind). I work on Assembly St and encounter it every single day. The BP station on Elmwood is infested with them. I was accosted by one not long ago and when I told him to beat it he went over to a young lady who was by herself and started on her. I could tell she was frightened so I flagged down a police officer when I left to let him know about it. It happens 24/7. Apparently you don't walk down Calhoun or Park Sts either. The litter and filth is unbelievable. It is so bad, the owner of our building had to put up a steel fence around the building so he can lock it up at night to keep the scum off the property. I noticed too, that since the old Russell Jeffcoat Building has been vacated, the owners had to put up fencing around it to keep them out as well. If you can read, I am sure you have seen story after story about people having to avoid Finlay Park due to this problem. I could go on and on and on with true, real life situations about this, and yet you say you've never seen it. INCREDIBLE!
I'm sorry you've had to go through this man. Must be truly awful

I just googled "homeless shelter in Greenville" and there's multiple in downtown Greenville: https://www.sciway.net/org/greenville-sc-homeless.html

I think you are sort of talking out of your butt. There is a reason these places are always located in city centers; that's where homeless people end up. Homeless also tend to end up in capital cities, which is where state resources are gonna be located. There's also no acknowledgement of different demographic factors between Greenville and Columbia. You're trying to railroad in an idealistic solution to suit yourself instead of paying attention to reality

Perhaps you should take a geography lesson. Our shelter is located on MAIN ST right in the business district of Columbia. There are no homeless shelters in the main business district of Greenville, which is around Bon Secours arena, Main St. and College St. etc. The shelter is located 4 blocks off Main St and to the South.

I'm not the one talking out of my butt. You indicate that Columbia has more state resources than Greenville. That is a total crock. They are STATE resources. Greenville is just as much a part of the state as Columbia. Why don't you describe what resources that are available in Columbia that are not available in Greenville??? Because, there aren't any? If these people flock to the state capitals, why do San Francisco and Los Angeles have a much greater homeless problem than Sacramento? Why does Charlotte have a greater problem than Raleigh?.....Miami greater than Tallahassee? Etc. The health care and social services systems in Greenville is just as good as in Columbia. Most of the resources for these programs are private to begin with. Much of the funding comes from churches and private donations.

Perhaps you should take a geography lesson. Our shelter is located on MAIN ST right in the business district of Columbia. There are no homeless shelters in the main business district of Greenville, which is around Bon Secours arena, Main St. and College St. etc. The shelter is located 4 blocks off Main St and to the South.

I'm not the one talking out of my butt. You indicate that Columbia has more state resources than Greenville. That is a total crock. They are STATE resources. Greenville is just as much a part of the state as Columbia. Why don't you describe what resources that are available in Columbia that are not available in Greenville??? Because, there aren't any? If these people flock to the state capitals, why do San Francisco and Los Angeles have a much greater homeless problem than Sacramento? Why does Charlotte have a greater problem than Raleigh?.....Miami greater than Tallahassee? Etc. The health care and social services systems in Greenville is just as good as in Columbia. Most of the resources for these programs are private to begin with. Much of the funding comes from churches and private donations.
I've got a geography lesson for you: I-26 West! Head on up to the promised land

I've got a geography lesson for you: I-26 West! Head on up to the promised land
But then I'd miss out on all those state resources we have in Columbia that are not available in Greenville, because apparently, Greenville is not located in the state.

anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966-623x316_zps0fcd61af.jpg

Reactions: fire ant
Some stuff by the river will be nice but it ain't like the whole corridor needs to be developed -- I walked the three mile stretch of Riverfront Park yesterday and that's a true gem of the city. Soon you'll be able to walk from downtown all the way out past the zoo when the Saluda River Greenway is completed -- that's gonna be awesome

Good point

People that watch Live PD or take a drive through some busted up suburb and say "zomg Columbia is so unsafe" are the same tools that say "I'd never go to Chicago, you see all the people shot there?" thinking going to the Art Institute or Sears Tower is the same thing as hanging out deep on the Southside

Sounds like something a simpleton Clemson fan would say

Right, in the 50s-60s it was Main Street, 70s-80s Dutch Square/St. Andrews, 90s-00s Columbiana/Harbison...you are breaking some major ground here
Forgive me for any vagueness on my part, my point was that shopping malls are by far time-frame oriented when it comes to extended success. One major exception to that rule: SouthPark Mall here in Charlotte. It's been the best mall in Charlotte every since I was just a preschool kid - and I'm 51 now.

Also, with these "modern day" options when it comes to retail purchases, welcome to such as Amazon.com as-well-as pretty much every major fast food restaurant that you can easily order and purchase pretty much whatever it is that you desire. Then there's Carmax.com and Carvana.com. Things be changing was/is my point. And it's pretty hard to design and implement a typical shopping mall that will profitably sustain itself for more than 10-20 years max.

JMHOFWIW.

Peace, out.

Dutch Square and Columbia Mall were THE malls in the 80s. Growing up in St. Andrews, I spent more time than I care to admit at Dutch Square, mainly in Barrel of Fun. I saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back at the old Dutch Square theater. Saw Return of the Jedi at the old Bush River Theater.
Zactly my point - that was then and this is now. =;-p

And FWIW, in regards to your explanation of your time(s) at Dutch Square and Columbia Mall, you sound as if your describing your's truly here!!

I would love to see any future plans. Is there a website or any pictures of what the goal is going to be for the river?
To my knowledge there's no current plan to put anything right on the river like that New Orleans Riverfront Restaurant or anything. That would be cool but don't think it's gonna happen with the way things have already developed.

Don't forget USC owns the whole riverfront between Gervais and Blossom bridges on the Columbia side (gift of the Guignard family). The campus master plan calls for it to become a park where Greene Street runs out. (Greene will be one long drag from Five Points down past Women's Quad, Russell House, Longstreet Theater, new Business School, CLA, etc. Currently dead ends at the railroad tracks down there but about to open up.) How cool is that gonna be?

To my knowledge there's no current plan to put anything right on the river like that New Orleans Riverfront Restaurant or anything. That would be cool but don't think it's gonna happen with the way things have already developed.

Don't forget USC owns the whole riverfront between Gervais and Blossom bridges on the Columbia side (gift of the Guignard family). The campus master plan calls for it to become a park where Greene Street runs out. (Greene will be one long drag from Five Points down past Women's Quad, Russell House, Longstreet Theater, new Business School, CLA, etc. Currently dead ends at the railroad tracks down there but about to open up.) How cool is that gonna be?
It will be great!!!!
(Oh wait...we still have all those homeless people down by the river.)

Reactions: coolcock2001
I have always liked Columbia. It is not pretentious and now, it seems like there are smart people promoting the city. It's always had a lot going for it - unique restaurants, distinct neighborhoods, educated people, and the capital of the state. And all bigger cities have rough parts. I never felt unsafe in Columbia. I liked that the university was not bigger than the city.

And if you think homelessness is bad in Columbia, it could be much worse. Southern California has you beat.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I honestly couldn't believe how grown up and trashy it was walking to the Fireflies stadium when we played C of C. I just couldn't believe they left a vacant building right there. Piss poor planning at best.

Shopping mall(s) huh?? I give you two great examples of failures: Eastland Mall in Charlotte, and Dutch Square in Cola. While Dutch Square is still there, does anyone here actually shop there??? Not I!!

Just sayin.

Later.
The situation now with particular malls has changed, but no doubt malls had a detrimental effect on downtown commerce at their inception, especially whacking the department stores. I remember what downtown Columbia was when I was young. And I remember what it became also.

Perhaps you should take a trip to Greenville to see how a REAL city operates. You don't see homeless shelters downtown or homeless vagrants walking the streets panhandling for money and accosting people.

These vagrants totally destroy a city. I work right in the middle of it. Have you ever had to be careful walking up your steps to work so that you don't step in human shit? They trash the streets and parking lots with tons of litter thrown everywhere with everything from malt liquor cans, to fast food trash, to used condoms. I even caught one of these derelicts on our porch one weekend sitting up against the wall jacking off? Are these the people you think we should just let roam our streets and do whatever they want? Is this what we should have to put up with to "have a little compassion"? This is the reason Columbia is so far behind and why it is difficult to have good development downtown. Why don't they relocate these shelters out of the main business district? Perhaps in a more industrial area along I-20 in north Columbia, or off I-77 in the area of Bluff/Shop Rds? You can have compassion and provide these services without being STUPID about it. Right now our leaders are just STUPID.

So my daughter lives in downtown Greenville and we were up there a few weeks ago. There were homeless people sleeping on the steps of one of the churches there. Greenville people remind me of Texans. Everything is bigger and better there.... in their minds.

Dutch Square and Columbia Mall were THE malls in the 80s. Growing up in St. Andrews, I spent more time than I care to admit at Dutch Square, mainly in Barrel of Fun. I saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back at the old Dutch Square theater. Saw Return of the Jedi at the old Bush River Theater.
Heck yeah. I remember the Dutch Square theater well growing up in Irmo. It was at the corner of the parking lot across from Kmart at the top of the hill. Loved going to Cromers in the mall with the live monkeys too. I probably saw more movies at the dollar theater behind Food Lion (across from Putt Putt) off St Andrews road though.Great memories as a kid.

The BP station on Elmwood is infested with them. /QUOTE]

We can all disagree respectfully about which city is better, etc. Everyone has different tastes and that’s great, otherwise we would all end up living in the same place and not have room to move.

However, can we all not agree to use the verb “infest” when referencing our fellow man. Humans, no matter their current position in life, should be above a verb we use for insects.

Sorry Dude, but you cannot just make up your own definitions. There is no reference to insects whatsoever.

in·fest
(ĭn-fĕst′)
tr.v. in·fest·ed, in·fest·ing, in·fests
To inhabit or overrun in numbers or quantities large enough to be harmful, threatening, or obnoxious.

Sorry Dude, but you cannot just make up your own definitions. There is no reference to insects whatsoever.

in·fest
(ĭn-fĕst′)
tr.v. in·fest·ed, in·fest·ing, in·fests
To inhabit or overrun in numbers or quantities large enough to be harmful, threatening, or obnoxious.

You know what your inference was. They’re people, man. Afford them some grace.

By the way, I just googled “infest definition” and this is the very item which appeared.

in·fest
inˈfest/
verb
  1. (of insects or animals) be present (in a place or site) in large numbers, typically so as to cause damage or disease.
    "the house is infested with cockroaches"

You know what your inference was. They’re people, man. Afford them some grace.

By the way, I just googled “infest definition” and this is the very item which appeared.

in·fest
inˈfest/
verb
  1. (of insects or animals) be present (in a place or site) in large numbers, typically so as to cause damage or disease.
    "the house is infested with cockroaches"
I don't afford anyone anything unless they are deserving of it. In this case, the definition I googled fits the situation exactly. They inhabit the area in large numbers and are both threatening and obnoxious. They defecate on and trash private property and accost people routinely. You may find this behavior acceptable in your depraved world but I do not. If it were not a problem then why does the city post signs on Main St stating it is unlawful for people to panhandle for money? These people are liars, crooks, and parasites. They will say or do anything for money. They are very much threatening as well. My wife was accosted and cursed at just for walking down the street one day in the VISTA. I was not there as she was on her way to meet me. I can assure you that if I had been around I would have decked the worthless POS.

Greenville people remind me of Texans. Everything is bigger and better there.... in their minds.

Greenville is a nice town and definitely has a leg up on a Columbia at the moment. But it was just 10-15 years ago people avoided the West End District of Greenville because that was the rough side of town. Columbia has changed so much in that same time period but probably has a lot more to overcome. Another 10-15 years headed in the right direction could change the city completely.

So my daughter lives in downtown Greenville and we were up there a few weeks ago. There were homeless people sleeping on the steps of one of the churches there. Greenville people remind me of Texans. Everything is bigger and better there.... in their minds.
Wow, you saw homeless people sleeping on church steps in Greenville and you equate that to Texans thinking. You’ve got it wrong. Columbia is making progress and I’m glad, but Columbia is far behind Greenville in the downtown area. I wish Columbia had more upscale restaurants somewhere downtown or Vista. Diane’s on Devine and the Oak Table were nice restaurants that are closed now. Why? We go to Blue Marlin a lot when in Columbia because that and Cola’s are the only 2 we like. I’ve lived in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston. Greenville is 2nd in the state for good restaurants to Charleston. The difference is that the restaurants in Charleston are there for tourists for the most part and Greenville restaurants are for locals mostly.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Wow, you saw homeless people sleeping on church steps in Greenville and you equate that to Texans thinking. You’ve got it wrong. Columbia is making progress and I’m glad, but Columbia is far behind Greenville in the downtown area. I wish Columbia had more upscale restaurants somewhere downtown or Vista. Diane’s on Devine and the Oak Table were nice restaurants that are closed now. Why? We go to Blue Marlin a lot when in Columbia because that and Cola’s are the only 2 we like. I’ve lived in Greenville, Columbia and Charleston. Greenville is 2nd in the state for good restaurants to Charleston. The difference is that the restaurants in Charleston are there for tourists for the most part and Greenville restaurants are for locals mostly.
Hall's Chophouse is taking the place of Oak Table.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT