ADVERTISEMENT

For those that did not catch Kornbluts show.

PC31

Gold Member
Apr 30, 2005
He was of course asked about Coach Martin. He stands by his report that Coach Martin will not be the coach of Carolina next year. Like others he wonders why the silence, but does stand by his report.
If at the end of all of this time he ends up being right he will deserve a ton of praise. If not......wow.
He says he thinks Carolina is still waiting on Coach Martin to get another job somewhere to keep Tanner from having to outright fire him.

He was of course asked about Coach Martin. He stands by his report that Coach Martin will not be the coach of Carolina next year. Like others he wonders why the silence, but does stand by his report.
If at the end of all of this time he ends up being right he will deserve a ton of praise. If not......wow.
He says he thinks Carolina is still waiting on Coach Martin to get another job somewhere to keep Tanner from having to outright fire him.
No other school is going to pay Frank $3 million a year. Ray needs to be fired right behind Frank.

Frank can go work at another college and make a fraction of what he's making here or he can hold tight and get paid 6 million to not coach. Tough choice.

Who can blame a coach for doing what is best for themselves? Likewise, who can blame a player?

There's only one way Korn can be right here and that's if USC already has the new coach pretty much signed and waiting to announce the hire the moment Frank moves on. If not, it would be beyond foolish for us to wait for Frank to get a job, then we start looking for a coach.

If Martin isn’t fired it’s more of an indictment on our athletic department. They obviously made the decision to fire Martin and sounds like they’re waffling now.

Reactions: Lakecock1 and F-86F
If the report is accurate, Tanner is waiting for FM to find another job so he doesn't have to fire him, this has to be one of the most inane strategies I've heard of. How would this give FM any incentive to find another job ?

If the report is accurate, Tanner is waiting for FM to find another job so he doesn't have to fire him, this has to be one of the most inane strategies I've heard of. How would this give FM any incentive to find another job ?

Beats me, but it would make Frank a stand-up guy to operate in such a way to save us a buyout.

Reactions: 92Pony
Beats me, but it would make Frank a stand-up guy to operate in such a way to save us a buyout.
But what if Frank takes the stand, No, I'm not going to take a lesser job, or less money. Allowing FM to have the upper hand during this ordeal is baffling.
Again, assuming this report is true.

Last edited:
But what Frank takes the stand, No, I'm not going to take a lesser job, or less money. Allowing FM to have the upper hand during this ordeal is baffling.
Again, assuming this report is true.

Yeah, I dunno. I was under the impression that there was a mutual agreement to part ways and that Frank was being allowed the opportunity to find another job to save face and, in turn, save us a buyout. I'm ok with that, provided he finds a job soon. That may have been totally made up though.

No other school is going to pay Frank $3 million a year. Ray needs to be fired right behind Frank.
The problem is that most people don't know the facts... and the fact is that it was our Board who demanded that Ray sign Frank to a longer deal during the Final Four, even though it wasn't time to extend the contract. Members of the board insisted that he do that at the time. So, if you're unhappy about Frank's contract, put that on the board of trustees.

The problem is that most people don't know the facts... and the fact is that it was our Board who demanded that Ray sign Frank to a longer deal during the Final Four, even though it wasn't time to extend the contract. Members of the board insisted that he do that at the time. So, if you're unhappy about Frank's contract, put that on the board of trustees.

I simply do not believe this. If its true offer up some evidence or a link. When the extension happened, I don't remember a whisper of Ray not being totally onboard...if not recommending it himself, which actually is his job.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I simply do not believe this. If its true offer up some evidence or a link. When the extension happened, I don't remember a whisper of Ray not being totally onboard...if not recommending it himself, which actually is his job.
I used to live next to one of the board members. He told me when it happened. He was against it, but it still happened. Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it untrue. My truth is what I was told by someone who was actually there.

But I thought Frank would have a white hot market and teams would be lined up for his services? Never forget...we are soooo lucky to have him because every other team in the country wants him!

I'm ok with Frank returning, I would like to avoid having Tanner hire another coach

I'm ok with Frank going, since I don't think its working out

I'm not concerned either way about what happens, I guess that is apathy?

I am purposely withholding comment so as not to throw uninformed kerosene on the fire. But seriously, what is going on here? When will whatever is going on here be resolved? Will we know after the fact, what was going on here?

Bingo! Also, the buyout we gave him is the going rate for a Final Four coach at an SEC school. Indiana just paid $10million to fire their coach and he did nothing.
And that same Board wants to make sure we can save a buck if Frank gets another job. If not, he's gone anyway. I would bet we've already sent out feelers to coaches about the job.

We know one thing, Ray could be blindfolded, drunk, and on pain killers and still not do a worse job of the process than when Hyman hired Darrin Horn.

On another site, the most recent update suggests USC has finally figured out this is taking too long.

We arrive at the uh- oh moment. Now they realize this is taking too long? The really interesting fact about this is virtually all the hires at other schools have not been tenured guys like Frank. They have been assistants.

The only way this ends well is if Frank's agent does as good a job selling Frank as Jimmy Sexton did pushing Muschamp on Tanner. And unless we have a backup plan, I don't know how it ends well for us. I sincerely hope they do. Really....

Bingo! Also, the buyout we gave him is the going rate for a Final Four coach at an SEC school. Indiana just paid $10million to fire their coach and he did nothing.
And that same Board wants to make sure we can save a buck if Frank gets another job. If not, he's gone anyway. I would bet we've already sent out feelers to coaches about the job.

We know one thing, Ray could be blindfolded, drunk, and on pain killers and still not do a worse job of the process than when Hyman hired Darrin Horn.

I have a legit question.......what was it about the process to hire Darrin Horn that you think was so messed up? I admit I don't remember it in detail but just looking at his record at his previous school (5 seasons at WKU, 73% winning %, 3 post seasons and NCAA Sweet Sixteen his last year) I don't get why it was such a bad hire at the time.

I have a legit question.......what was it about the process to hire Darrin Horn that you think was so messed up? I admit I don't remember it in detail but just looking at his record at his previous school (5 seasons at WKU, 73% winning %, 3 post seasons and NCAA Sweet Sixteen his last year) I don't get why it was such a bad hire at the time.

Nobody can legitimately argue that it was a bad hire at the time. I mean, it's what everyone is looking for...that young mid-major coach who appears ready to break out. It obviously turned out to be a bad hire, but that just goes to show how coaching hires are mostly a roll of the dice.

Nobody can legitimately argue that it was a bad hire at the time. I mean, it's what everyone is looking for...that young mid-major coach who appears ready to break out. It obviously turned out to be a bad hire, but that just goes to show how coaching hires are mostly a roll of the dice.

Perhaps this is a reason we should not get locked in on a coach with respect to exorbitant buyouts.

On another site, the most recent update suggests USC has finally figured out this is taking too long.

We arrive at the uh- oh moment. Now they realize this is taking too long? The really interesting fact about this is virtually all the hires at other schools have not been tenured guys like Frank. They have been assistants.

The only way this ends well is if Frank's agent does as good a job selling Frank as Jimmy Sexton did pushing Muschamp on Tanner. And unless we have a backup plan, I don't know how it ends well for us. I sincerely hope they do. Really....
Complete speculation

The real mystery us why our players are not yet transferring out. They are bound to know Frank is not returning. Puzzling.

so true.......Horn and Holbrook made perfect sense at the time. Just turned out bad.

Reactions: PC31
If the report is accurate...that's a big if.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If we -- meaning Ray -- were planning to keep Frank all along, there is simply no reason they couldn't have leaked it long before now.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

That is sorta what I thought. On paper it was a very reasonable hire for USC.

For any of us who hire employees, we know there are risks involved and the old saying "you don't know what you have until you have it". Of course we can all make hiring mistakes and have. AD's have. I think one of the secrets to a successful AD is what they do when they realize the hire won't work. The "exit strategy" is where i believe Ray Tanner has been poor. And it looks like it is repeating with the basketball situation.

Tanner should have never convinced Spurrier to stay on and he was caught flat footed when he resigned mid-season leading us to a place where we had to settle with Muschamp. The Muschamp situation was made far more difficult because of the head-scratching buyout he was given where the school was clearly not protected. He let Holbrook stay on too long. Now we are in a place where Martin was allowed to coach all year even after contracting COVID twice, he has a large buyout (too large for what he has produced) and this situation is lingering on in an embarrassing way.

I am hoping for the best while wisely preparing for the worst.

I used to live next to one of the board members. He told me when it happened. He was against it, but it still happened. Just because it doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it untrue. My truth is what I was told by someone who was actually there.

Fair enough.

But there is also lots of available information that would cast doubt on it like the fact that with the Columbia media's obsession with negative Carolina stories, nothing like that ever seems to go unreported, the similarly undeserved contract perks Tanner gave to Muschamp and the strong public statements of support for Martin made by Tanner at the time the extension happened.

It wasn’t, some fans expect the AD to be all knowing and able to predict the future.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT