ADVERTISEMENT

For those that did not catch Kornbluts show.

That is sorta what I thought. On paper it was a very reasonable hire for USC.

For any of us who hire employees, we know there are risks involved and the old saying "you don't know what you have until you have it". Of course we can all make hiring mistakes and have. AD's have. I think one of the secrets to a successful AD is what they do when they realize the hire won't work. The "exit strategy" is where i believe Ray Tanner has been poor. And it looks like it is repeating with the basketball situation.

Tanner should have never convinced Spurrier to stay on and he was caught flat footed when he resigned mid-season leading us to a place where we had to settle with Muschamp. The Muschamp situation was made far more difficult because of the head-scratching buyout he was given where the school was clearly not protected. He let Holbrook stay on too long. Now we are in a place where Martin was allowed to coach all year even after contracting COVID twice, he has a large buyout (too large for what he has produced) and this situation is lingering on in an embarrassing way.

I am hoping for the best while wisely preparing for the worst.
Tanner never convinced Spurrier to stay on, and Spurrier himself has said this. Spurrier so said his wife is the one who convinced him to continue. It's ridiculous that this malarkey is still being posted on here.

Fair enough.

But there is also lots of available information that would cast doubt on it like the fact that with the Columbia media's obsession with negative Carolina stories, nothing like that ever seems to go unreported, the similarly undeserved contract perks Tanner gave to Muschamp and the strong public statements of support for Martin made by Tanner at the time the extension happened.
When have you ever heard Tanner not voice strong support for his coaches?

Reactions: GamecockinHouston
Tanner never convinced Spurrier to stay on, and Spurrier himself has said this. Spurrier so said his wife is the one who convinced him to continue. It's ridiculous that this malarkey is still being posted on here.

it is ok if that is what you want to believe. Many believe otherwise.

What is really ridiculous is the # of folks still defending Tanner after he has overseen the top 3 men's sports at USC descent into the crapper.

it is ok if that is what you want to believe. Many believe otherwise.

What is really ridiculous is the # of folks still defending Tanner after he has overseen the top 3 men's sports at USC descent into the crapper.
You will continue to spout that untruth simply because it fits your narrative. You don't care about being accurate. Yes, I defend him because he is no worse than Marcum, McGee, or Hyman.

You will continue to spout that untruth simply because it fits your narrative. You don't care about being accurate. Yes, I defend him because he is no worse than Marcum, McGee, or Hyman.

Your last sentence proves you are a total Tanner homer.....part of the "ok with mediocrity" club. Good to know.

Tanner should have never convinced Spurrier to stay on and he was caught flat footed when he resigned mid-season leading us to a place where we had to settle with Muschamp. The Muschamp situation was made far more difficult because of the head-scratching buyout he was given where the school was clearly not protected. He let Holbrook stay on too long. Now we are in a place where Martin was allowed to coach all year even after contracting COVID twice, he has a large buyout (too large for what he has produced) and this situation is lingering on in an embarrassing way.

Tanner didn’t “convince Spurrier to stay on”. That’s an urban legend that keeps getting kicked around here.

When SOS told Ray he was thinking about hanging it up, Ray told him to talk to his family and think about it, give it a couple of days. He stayed, a combination of Jerri wanting the family there and him “getting greedy” thinking he could win more games and set more records.

Source? SOS himself.

I didnt agree with the buyout, and am not even sure it was all on Tanner. I’ve heard from a couple of trusted sources that there was legitimate concern amongst some on the board that another good season would bring a legacy team ready to hire him away, much along the lines of how Herman would’ve dumped us when Texas came calling.

Holbrook stayed 5 years, we went to two Supers and a Regional, a Super the year before he was fired. Is 5 years too long to keep the guy who was the #1 Asst in college baseball? I don’t think so, he gave him a chance, had some success wrapped around poor play. Five years is fair.

Martin’s situation is indeed a head scratcher. But he’s third in career wins, and competitive in winning percentage amongst our better coaches. Tough call, we’ve been a mediocre program with a flash here and there for a long time.

Reactions: WingchunCock
If Martin isn’t fired it’s more of an indictment on our athletic department. They obviously made the decision to fire Martin and sounds like they’re waffling now.
Why is it obvious to you? Not saying you're wrong. I'm merely stating that I have no idea what's really going on. They can say and/or do absolutely nothing on this, and FM is still the coach.

Why is it obvious to you? Not saying you're wrong. I'm merely stating that I have no idea what's really going on. They can say and/or do absolutely nothing on this, and FM is still the coach.
I must say, it makes no sense not to have cleared the air on this before now if the plan is for him to stay.

Yeah, I dunno. I was under the impression that there was a mutual agreement to part ways and that Frank was being allowed the opportunity to find another job to save face and, in turn, save us a buyout. I'm ok with that, provided he finds a job soon. That may have been totally made up though.
Right. The impression many of us have is that there's a mutual agreement to part ways. It's a reasonable guess, but at this point, a guess nonetheless.

No, he said “something would happen Monday” and it did not - time window is just coincidental 👀 ?

Has the news hit this board that the Winthrop coach has taken the COC job? Dominoes are filling.. please tell me we have a plan of our own running under this apparent "keep Frank employed somewhere" effort.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Has the news hit this board that the Winthrop coach has taken the COC job? Dominoes are filling.. please tell me we have a plan of our own running under this apparent "keep Frank employed somewhere" effort.
stuff happens when one gets 100 miles away from that cesspool of political hicks

I do not believe Ray should have been hired as the AD. That said, I don’t blame him for Holbrook. I doubt there is anyone who saw that turning out like it did. I don’t blame him for Martin (unless we keep him). At the time he was considered one of the better ones (I still think he is, I just think his style doesn’t match the “me first” mentality of kids today). I do blame him for football. I find it hard to believe that we could not have gotten someone better than Muschamp. Even if it was a guy from a lower tier like PJ Fleck. Of course had he hired an up and comer that wasn’t a proven big time coach, about 50% of this board would be ticked about that.

I've wondered about this story because I've seen people state it over and over again. It appears it started with a somewhat reputable poster on SECRant back in 2015, and it was repeated so many times it took on a life of it's own. People "assumed" it was true when there were no facts, links or quotes by anyone to back it up.

Here's the quote:

"Spurrier wanted to retire after the Miami bowl win ... Tanner talked him out of it. Tanner was caught off guard as a new AD and wasn't ready, didn't have a contingency plan in place and had made no contacts within either the search community or the actual coaching community.

He used his friendship with Spurrier to convince him to stay - again, Spurrier's loyalty cost us.

I hold it against Tanner far more than Spurrier or any of his coaches.

There were some viable candidates that Tanner could have brought in after that win over Miami - but he was not prepared.

Would have been a whole lot easier signing a new coach ... like Herman for instance, after that 2014 season where we had won a ton of games over the previous five seasons, than waiting for us to take a nose dive and for Spurrier to bail out of desperation"

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Tanner didn’t “convince Spurrier to stay on”. That’s an urban legend that keeps getting kicked around here.

When SOS told Ray he was thinking about hanging it up, Ray told him to talk to his family and think about it, give it a couple of days. He stayed, a combination of Jerri wanting the family there and him “getting greedy” thinking he could win more games and set more records.

Source? SOS himself.

I didnt agree with the buyout, and am not even sure it was all on Tanner. I’ve heard from a couple of trusted sources that there was legitimate concern amongst some on the board that another good season would bring a legacy team ready to hire him away, much along the lines of how Herman would’ve dumped us when Texas came calling.

Holbrook stayed 5 years, we went to two Supers and a Regional, a Super the year before he was fired. Is 5 years too long to keep the guy who was the #1 Asst in college baseball? I don’t think so, he gave him a chance, had some success wrapped around poor play. Five years is fair.

Martin’s situation is indeed a head scratcher. But he’s third in career wins, and competitive in winning percentage amongst our better coaches. Tough call, we’ve been a mediocre program with a flash here and there for a long time.
Telling a guy to talk to his family is not the same as saying, "Look, you are good for SC football so please stay on a few more years." The latter (or something similar) is what is generally attributed to Tanner.

Telling a guy to talk to his family is not the same as saying, "Look, you are good for SC football so please stay on a few more years." The latter (or something similar) is what is generally attributed to Tanner.
The only thing Team Ray can refute that with is some double-secret interview that only the special Insiders were privy to. And it was so double-secret that no one else in the sports media could access it either. Otherwise, there would surely be a link to it somewhere, right?

No matter if Frank stays or goes ,you can count on Tanner to screw it up. Tanner is the common thread to the problems in the athletic department. I wish Caslen would act since Tanner won't.
[/QUOT I agree about Tanner, but I would not count on Caslen making a good decision either

Source? SOS himself.

I certainly don't agree with all your assessments but fair enough. What i do know, and I dont think anyone can logically disagree with, is that the three top men's programs at USC are collectively at one of the lowest points we have seen. USC football, men's bb and baseball have been no fun for the last several years. It has created a dangerous level of fan apathy, that covid helped accelerate. Many fans are tired of the mediocrity, mismanagement of the AD with contracts and $ and the lack of exciting, successful product on the field or court. I truly feel our athletic department is in a precarious position. This basketball situation has the markings of something that could implode.

it is time for South Carolina to move on from Ray Tanner.

I certainly don't agree with all your assessments but fair enough. What i do know, and I dont think anyone can logically disagree with, is that the three top men's programs at USC are collectively at one of the lowest points we have seen. USC football, men's bb and baseball have been no fun for the last several years. It has created a dangerous level of fan apathy, that covid helped accelerate. Many fans are tired of the mediocrity, mismanagement of the AD with contracts and $ and the lack of exciting, successful product on the field or court. I truly feel our athletic department is in a precarious position. This basketball situation has the markings of something that could implode.

it is time for South Carolina to move on from Ray Tanner.
There's one upside to the apathy: go look at the seats available. You can buy blocks of premium seats in Billy Brice because everyone has bailed out. It's incredible.

There's one upside to the apathy: go look at the seats available. You can buy blocks of premium seats in Billy Brice because everyone has bailed out. It's incredible.

Unfortunately, the only real way for fans to show their displeasure to the AD and other administrators is to close their wallets.

Nothing creates change in college athletics faster than empty stadiums and arenas. And that is one basic issue with Carolina. Our administrators are used to fans showing up regardless of how mediocre we are.

Looks like Phil was wrong. Shocker. You cover sports that many years, you're gonna get stuff wrong all the time so it doesn't really change anything in my book

This is the worst moment of his career and nothing else even comes close.
Look, I have no opinion on PK one way or the other. But, it may be unfair to assume PK should have known the Legislature would stick it’s stupid, incompetent nose into the issue.

Reactions: ForeUSC
Look, I have no opinion on PK one way or the other. But, it may be unfair to assume PK should have known the Legislature would stick it’s stupid, incompetent nose into the issue.
"None [of the options] includes him [Martin] remaining as coach". To me, it's an unmitigated disaster for Phil professionally.

ADVERTISEMENT