ADVERTISEMENT

For your consideration: Frank knows he cannot win here.

I know you’re trying to be reasonable, so I have to point out that this part isn’t true. They usually struggle early, but play themselves into the conversation with their SEC records.
Fair but how many times have they closed the deal in the 2nd half? Once? Maybe were in serious conversation one other year? They are too far gone after the first half. Leaves very little wiggle room in the 2nd.

I think the women's program goes to show that the fans will support a winning program but they have to have something to cheer about. Frank Martin isnt losing because of lack of support, he's losing because his style of coaching turns kids off and he cant consistently recruit blue chip prospects. I think he's shown when he gets talented kids in, his system can produce results. But you gotta get the right Jimmys and the Joes to run the Xs and Os.

Im not sure what the right way to fix this is. Maybe Frank needs look at getting some new, younger assistants that connect better with recruits. But we keep fight with Elon or East Tennesse State for players while Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida recruit nationally we are going to keep fighting to stay above .500.

Last edited:
I think the women's program goes to show that the fans will support a winning program but they have to have something to cheer about. Frank Martin isnt losing because of lack of support, he's losing because his style of coaching turns kids off and he cant consistently recruit blue chip prospects. I think he's shown when he gets talented kids in, his system can produce results. But you gotta get the right Jimmys and the Joes to run the Xs and Os.

Im not sure what the right way to fix this is. Maybe Frank needs look at getting some new, younger assistants that connect better with recruits. But we keep fight with Elon or East Tennesse State for players while Auburn, Tennessee, and Florida recruit nationally we are going to keep fighting to stay above .500.
Yeah all we have to do is win multiple sec titles and compete for national championships and then the fans will show up

Some of y’all don’t often attend women’s games so I forgive yalls ignorance but a year after the first sec championship dawn had to literally beg people to come out to the home games

Fair but how many times have they closed the deal in the 2nd half? Once? Maybe were in serious conversation one other year? They are too far gone after the first half. Leaves very little wiggle room in the 2nd.
Well we got absolutely hosed in 2015-16. 2018-19 and 2019-20 came on strong in SEC play. Last year we were squarely on the bubble until the last weekend because of conference play. No SEC tournament and NCAA tournament last year.

Well we got absolutely hosed in 2015-16. 2018-19 and 2019-20 came on strong in SEC play. Last year we were squarely on the bubble until the last weekend because of conference play. No SEC tournament and NCAA tournament last year.
I guess we are kinda saying the same thing. With a relatively strong first half those seasons, we are in.

I guess we are kinda saying the same thing. With a relatively strong first half those seasons, we are in.
Maybe. But when you’re in-season, it’s difficult to look back and say “ if we won this game in December, we make the tournament in March.” Seasons build on previous wins and losses, so while it looks like if we beat Boston and Stetson in December, we make it, but you can’t really look at it that way.

Yeah all we have to do is win multiple sec titles and compete for national championships and then the fans will show up
I remember sitting in the arena watching dawn best georgia to win her first sec title here. It was not full but def over 10k fans. How many times has Frank has that many for a home game not against Kentucky? A handful of times?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
A lot of Frank Martin's success can be attributed to Dalonte Hill's DC Assault (AAU) ties. Hill was responsible for Michael Beasley and others. While at Kansas State, Hill was the nation's highest paid assistant coach.

Hill was an assistant to Bobby Lutz. Beasley committed to Charlotte but never enrolled. He followed Hill to Kansas State.

From the late 1980's to the early 2000's, Charlotte had some good basketball teams and made frequent trips to the NCAA tournament. Charlotte's basketball program suffered when Cincinnati and Louisville left C-USA for the Big East.

Check out these two links:
Frank in Florida
WVUs Huggins linked to legal case involving Beasley, K-State

Frank's lack of success at South Carolina is not surprising.
Don't forget Brad Underwood who coached with him at K-State and came to USC with him for his first couple of years.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I remember sitting in the arena watching dawn best georgia to win her first sec title here. It was not full but def over 10k fans. How many times has Frank has that many for a home game not against Kentucky? A handful of times?
In fact, we’ve averaged at least 11k every year since 2014.

In fact, we’ve averaged at least 11k every year since 2014.

The men average around 12K as well.

If the team’s performance

Hosed in 2015-2016? Yeah, probably.

But, if I recall, we started off really strong. A nice undefeated run to kick off the year.

Then, absolutely peed down our leg to end things. We went from being in to bubble and simply could not win a big game to push us over.

A very familiar occurrence - doing just enough to come up short.

The point being, it is always something.

He won consistently at K State and went to the dance four of five years.

He fought off the poor situation he inherited here and made the dance, then the typical Gamecock swoon set in.

Recruiting has been tough. Support has been sparse in the arena. This is the SEC where football is king. The women's program is a monster.

I would imagine when Frank compares K State and this undertaking, he probably feels like the "undertaker." For him, this is a career killer, a u-turn.

I believe he is riding out the contract and the money and wonder if he will coach again. He seems like a guy who is done. If it turns around here, great! If not, so be it. He can do many other things.

It's just my opinion of course, but where else can this go with the current factset?

So you play into the narrative that SC is hard place to coach at. You absolve the coach? You discount his style of coaching that is very off putting to current day recruits? Recruits shun this style of coaching. Who wants to be berated at? You discount the fact that his salary quadrupled when he got here?

If UT and Auburn can win with good coaches, we should do better. It is all about the coach. They are paid multi millions and have unreasonable buyouts. The need to perform. Look at Dawn - excellence. We are a powerhouse in WBB.

Most of all I feel for the players. They have no shot at the NBA when they come here. That ship sailed with Sindarius, PJ and that cohort.

That SC is in a grip of an AD who is clueless is not new news. We will be in a coma by the time this AD leaves in 2024.

Last edited:
Don't forget Brad Underwood who coached with him at K-State and came to USC with him for his first couple of years.

That was a factor. And at K State Frank had a program running in place courtesy of Huggins and his recruiting.
I like Frank. Think he is a good coach and like the way he coaches. But college sports is all about recruiting. And for whatever reason, that is Frank's weak spot. As far as him riding it out as far as he can? I don't think that is it. He has enough money at this point. Now do I think Franl thought he would be at USC this long? No. He was looking to get out of K State because he didn't get along with the administration and it was a good escape. I have always thought that USC was a convenient escape for him and that he was just waiting on the Miami job to open back up so he could go back home. But it seems like the Jim is going to coach until he is 100 and any chance of Frank being attractive for that job is long gone.

I am sure you were there when they won the game to win sec title like most.

I also assume you weren’t there at the beginning of the next season, like most

just like we had a ton of people supporting the team during the FF run but during that season? Nope

The next season? Nope

That was a factor. And at K State Frank had a program running in place courtesy of Huggins and his recruiting.
I like Frank. Think he is a good coach and like the way he coaches. But college sports is all about recruiting. And for whatever reason, that is Frank's weak spot. As far as him riding it out as far as he can? I don't think that is it. He has enough money at this point. Now do I think Franl thought he would be at USC this long? No. He was looking to get out of K State because he didn't get along with the administration and it was a good escape. I have always thought that USC was a convenient escape for him and that he was just waiting on the Miami job to open back up so he could go back home. But it seems like the Jim is going to coach until he is 100 and any chance of Frank being attractive for that job is long gone.
Huggins was at Kstate for a total of one year

Some of y’all don’t often attend women’s games so I forgive yalls ignorance but a year after the first sec championship dawn had to literally beg people to come out to the home games
Feeble, your memory must be failing you, But, using a phrase that you use , trust me on this. Better yet trust Wikipedia. Dawn won her first SEC championship in 2013/14. She must’ve been a great beggar because I just checked the records and it appears that during 2014 2015 season we averaged 12,293 per game.. Of course Wikipedia didn’t count butts in the seat but that was the official attendance.

Reactions: F-86F
Feeble, your memory must be failing you, But, using a phrase that you use , trust me on this. Better yet trust Wikipedia. Dawn won her first SEC championship in 2013/14. She must’ve been a great beggar because I just checked the records and it appears that during 2014 2015 season we averaged 12,293 per game.. Of course Wikipedia didn’t count butts in the seat but that was the official attendance.
Those are tickets sold, our men’s basketball team has similar numbers and I have been to more games than not with around 5k

if you have been to women’s games regularly at that time there is no doubt they did not average 12k in attendance

zerochance

According to the records the men’s basketball averages the same or more than women but y’all say winning brings support but, according to the numbers you are going by - they are already being supported?

so either 12k are showing up to all the men’s and women’s games or those numbers mean nothing

There is no way you believe the colonial life arena is at 70% capacity each game

I’d contend that his employability at D1 schools is still very very high.

All it will take is for Coach Martin to get to a school where the there is a basketball tradition, a school that has nicer facilities, in a better conference, in a more populous state, where the AAU guys are not always trashing the program. He will land talented players there. Hire him, and they will come.

All it will take is for Coach Martin to get to a school where the there is a basketball tradition, a school that has nicer facilities, in a better conference, in a more populous state, where the AAU guys are not always trashing the program. He will land talented players there. Hire him, and they will come.
We outperform a lot of schools with those exact qualities you mention.

Doubt it. I’m sure if you were to ask Muschamp about his tenure he’d tell you he just needed a little more time to turn things around.

I have nothing to base this on but my gut. He will ‘retire’ this year. Maybe going to work in athletic department. He will go to the broadcast booth until next gig.

He strikes me as both gracious and a realist. I think this will allow for a smooth transition. And I think better than anyone, he knows it’s time.

I have nothing to base this on but my gut. He will ‘retire’ this year. Maybe going to work in athletic department. He will go to the broadcast booth until next gig.

He strikes me as both gracious and a realist. I think this will allow for a smooth transition. And I think better than anyone, he knows it’s time.

Quite possible.

Those are tickets sold, our men’s basketball team has similar numbers and I have been to more games than not with around 5k

if you have been to women’s games regularly at that time there is no doubt they did not average 12k in attendance

zerochance
Every school in the country does the same thing...they count tickets sold..
You seem to be making an issue that tickets sold do no equal fan interest and support. As if fan support is not as strong as it is made out to be. Fact of the matter is we have supported Dawns program better than any other school in the country save it be CoNn.
I’ve been going to Carolina games since 1955. I assure you that the fans will come when the teams are winners....not barely split even 50-50 teams.

Every school in the country does the same thing...they count tickets sold..
You seem to be making an issue that tickets sold do no equal fan interest and support. As if fan support is not as strong as it is made out to be. Fact of the matter is we have supported Dawns program better than any other school in the country save it be CoNn.
I’ve been going to Carolina games since 1955. I assure you that the fans will come when the teams are winners....not barely split even 50-50 teams.
And what I was saying is it took winning a few sec titles and compete for nat championship to get solid constant support , also we literally went to the final four and the very next season we had 3000 people in the stands starting the season

Do you think it's fair to fire Frank this year with all this Covid BS? We had 2 Covid stops pauses already . Still have 2 players out . Take a look at clemmy . They were kicking ass before they had a Covid stop. Now they have lost 3 games in row by 30 points. Frank is not getting fired this year . We just paid Muschamp 13 million dollars We are not firing 2 head coaches the same year
No. It is not fair. But Frank is not doing a good job right now. He is not reaching his players. Something needs to change. My guess if Frank retires this year or next. But I do not believe he will be fired.

And what I was saying is it took winning a few sec titles and compete for nat championship to get solid constant support , also we literally went to the final four and the very next season we had 3000 people in the stands starting the season
Weak point you’re trying to make IMO. For six straight years we have led the SEC and the nation in ticket sales. But somehow that’s not good enough for you. The 7th we were 3rd.

Weak point you’re trying to make IMO. For six straight years we have led the SEC and the nation in ticket sales. But somehow that’s not good enough for you. The 7th we were 3rd.
Yeah ticket sales don’t mean anything if there is not anyone actually sitting in the seats

season tickets are dirt cheap

Good thread discussion which I think captures the collective frustration with the program from the coaches seat to the arena chair. It just seems to be getting to the point where neither chair has anybody who really wants to be there these days.

Unless things improve, this tenure is done by spring next year. Then, its next guy up to take a shot of 40 years of only sporadic success.

Yeah ticket sales don’t mean anything if there is not anyone actually sitting in the seats

season tickets are dirt cheap
They are dirt cheap everywhere and we have plenty of fans sitting in the seats. Maybe it took a little longer than you would have liked but they are there. Colonial Life arena is huge and there are many seats obviously. .500 basketball and losing to teams like Liberty with the most talented team you’ve had is not going to attract many fans.

Yes, that's what he said. "fans will support a winning program but they have to have something to cheer about."

Women's basketball is waaaaaay down the totem pole in terms of fan interest. Always will be.

No. It is not fair. But Frank is not doing a good job right now. He is not reaching his players. Something needs to change. My guess if Frank retires this year or next. But I do not believe he will be fired.

We really saw a defensive collapse Saturday by our team. This is not like a Martin coached team. The lack of practice and playing really showed. Now, part of that is lack of successful in state elite player recruiting, too, to be fair, but COVID has really hurt our team.

Yes, that's what he said. "fans will support a winning program but they have to have something to cheer about."

Women's basketball is waaaaaay down the totem pole in terms of fan interest. Always will be.
That’s what we call fair weather fans, I am sure the bucs have a ton of fans now. Only coming to games when we are ranked is the definition of poor fan support.

we barely miss the tourney, win 25 games and the first 20 or so games of the final four season there were 5000 there

final four run happens and we hang the banner infront of 3000 people

We really saw a defensive collapse Saturday by our team. This is not like a Martin coached team. The lack of practice and playing really showed. Now, part of that is lack of successful in state elite player recruiting, too, to be fair, but COVID has really hurt our team.
They played well against A&M at home right after they beat Auburn at Auburn. (A&M has been on a skid lately too) It's hard to figure out.

We need McCreary and Frink back if we are going to salvage anything from this season. We are getting killed inside and with so little depth it is wearing us out.

Reactions: ansoncock
They played well against A&M at home right after they beat Auburn at Auburn. (A&M has been on a skid lately too) It's hard to figure out.

We need McCreary and Frink back if we are going to salvage anything from this season. We are getting killed inside and with so little depth it is wearing us out.
Your last paragraph and in particular last sentence; bingo. Not that hard to see if you look deeper than “they/Frank/Tanner suck.”

I have actually heard people say that if we’re going to use “the covid excuse” (because everything’s an “excuse” you know) then why not just pack it in, why bother playing the rest of the season.

All the fans are so worried about their own feelings that they don’t give a SHITE about the players, the coaches, nothing. There is a thing called “play your way out of it”; these guys deserve that chance, and I’ll be watching every game, same as always. I care about THEM; I don’t give a ____ about “the fans.”

Your last paragraph and in particular last sentence; bingo. Not that hard to see if you look deeper than “they/Frank/Tanner suck.”

I have actually heard people say that if we’re going to use “the covid excuse” (because everything’s an “excuse” you know) then why not just pack it in, why bother playing the rest of the season.

All the fans are so worried about their own feelings that they don’t give a SHITE about the players, the coaches, nothing. There is a thing called “play your way out of it”; these guys deserve that chance, and I’ll be watching every game, same as always. I care about THEM; I don’t give a ____ about “the fans.”
I watched Trey Anderson at 6'6" and 200 lbs go up against Missouri's big center. He was just doing his job but it is taking a toll on him and the rest of the team. He wasn't the same in the next game.

We could have used Patrick Iriel this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT