ADVERTISEMENT

Forget dunker. Who is the best FT shooter we had

BJ McKie had to be up there. I have fond memories playing him when he was at Irmo ( I played for Lexington 94-95). When I say fond, I hated it. He would get into the lane and jump into you. The refs would call a foul every freak time. It was BS!!! But, I'm glad he ended up at USC. Had a great career.

Have we... Ever had a good one? I mean I know the people who were around in the 60s probably saw some good ones back when free throw shooting was important in basketball. These days nobody seems to care and I don’t get it.

I think I recall BJ being a good one...

* ok I cheated- Brenton Williams is the leader all time. Ya’ll remember him? Averaged 88.5% from the stripe for his CAREER! Wow!! Our best FT shooter on today’s team is Lawson barely clinging to 70%.

Have we... Ever had a good one? I mean I know the people who were around in the 60s probably saw some good ones back when free throw shooting was important in basketball. These days nobody seems to care and I don’t get it.

* ok I cheated- Brenton Williams is the leader all time. Ya’ll remember him? Averaged 88.5% from the stripe for his CAREER! Wow!! Our best FT shooter on today’s team is Lawson barely clinging to 70%.

I doubt anyone remembers Brenton Williams being Mr clutch from the FT line. But shooting near 90 percent and a better percentage than Brent Price is pretty phenomenal.

Reactions: 92Pony
John Roche had to be in the 90% range during his career. If college basketball had the three point shot back then, Roche probably would have had an additional 100 points I. His career.

Pete Maravich AVERAGED 44.2 POINTS PER GAME in his LSU career (83 games), without the three point shot! Let that sink in!

Roche was clutch. Kevin Joyce could shoot them if I remember correctly, though the statistics may show it differently.

Though not a Gamecock (but since rooster mentioned Rick Barry) one of the best I ever saw in college was Mark Price.

How about odd ft how about off FT motions since Barry was mentioned? Hal Greer with the jumpshot, Jamaal Wilkes with "'round the world," and Wilt.

Wilt - underhanded, one handed, two handed, the rocket shot, bank shot, etc. wilt tried every form. Remember the old NBA rule "3 to make 2"? Wilt needed 5 to make 2.

Though not a Gamecock (but since rooster mentioned Rick Barry) one of the best I ever saw in college was Mark Price.

How about odd ft how about off FT motions since Barry was mentioned? Hal Greer with the jumpshot

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I doubt anyone remembers Brenton Williams being Mr clutch from the FT line. But shooting near 90 percent and a better percentage than Brent Price is pretty phenomenal.
I remember him! I mentioned him in a thread yesterday I think. His senior year, he was incredible from the FT line!

As I recall, Brenton Williams once made about 50 in a row. In pretty sure that was a school record as well. He became an excellent free throw shooter.

It seems like Larry Davis shot a high percentage also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT