ADVERTISEMENT

Forgotten or absorbed towns across South Carolina

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Driving back from Hilton Head Saturday several of those towns are now ghost towns. Saw an elementary school (Robertville) long since shut down. And that got me thinking.
The list of schools, towns, that are no more is a large one. But the stories, maybe from a lot of you, are still there.
But to keep it sports related, what are some schools that were once great. Only to be merged or done away with altogether? In my area, before my time there were Leavelle McCampbell and Langley/Bath/Clearwater (LBC) high schools. Both had some success in football. I always thought the merging of those two (Midland Valley) would produce more of the same. Pretty much not the case in 40 years.

I grew up in Allendale SC- built up in the 60/70s around HWY 301 &321… When the Interstates cut through it KILLED Allendale because there was suddenly no traffic coming through. That place is a third world country today. We moved there in like 79 when I was a baby and I watched the town literally crumble around us growing up… Allendale and Barnwell used to be real good football teams- for 2A- I haven’t kept up that much with 2A HS any more, but they have virtually no jobs or population growth there! My parents moved away years ago so I literally have no reason to visit and I DON’T.

I grew up in Allendale SC- built up in the 60/70s around HWY 301 &321… When the Interstates cut through it KILLED Allendale because there was suddenly no traffic coming through. That place is a third world country today. We moved there in like 79 when I was a baby and I watched the town literally crumble around us growing up… Allendale and Barnwell used to be real good football teams- for 2A- I haven’t kept up that much with 2A HS any more, but they have virtually no jobs or population growth there! My parents moved away years ago so I literally have no reason to visit and I DON’T.
Grew up in Barnwell, remember when Chip Atkins had good basketball teams in Allendale.

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
I went through Allendale on the way down. I was surprised at how far it’s fallen just since the early 90’s.

Driving back from Hilton Head Saturday several of those towns are now ghost towns. Saw an elementary school (Robertville) long since shut down. And that got me thinking.
The list of schools, towns, that are no more is a large one. But the stories, maybe from a lot of you, are still there.
But to keep it sports related, what are some schools that were once great. Only to be merged or done away with altogether? In my area, before my time there were Leavelle McCampbell and Langley/Bath/Clearwater (LBC) high schools. Both had some success in football. I always thought the merging of those two (Midland Valley) would produce more of the same. Pretty much not the case in 40 years.
Mcbee?

Grew up in Barnwell, remember when Chip Atkins had good basketball teams in Allendale.

Grew up in Barnwell as well. Class of ‘98. Moved away in 2004, but my parents still live there so I make the occasional trip down there. I enjoy the visits, but it always bums me out a little to see how far the town has fallen.

I grew up in Hampton. I remember Chip as the coach at Barnwell (basketball and golf). I ran into him years later when he was coaching at LR. He always reminded me a little of Norman Dale from "Hoosiers."

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock

Yep, I drove through there a few years ago. It gave me a very strange feeling.

Reactions: searooster
Meth is a real problem for rural and small town America. It's a problem everywhere, but more noticeable in small towns. I was in Walhalla recently for work and stayed at a motel in Seneca. There was a sign on the counter at the front desk that said, "If you live in Oconee, Pickens or Anderson County and want to rent a room you must place a $300 cash deposit with the clerk. It will be refunded when you check out after the room is inspected."

When I asked the clerk she said it was because of meth parties. One person rents a room and then invites his/her friends. They frequently tear up the room, punch holes in the walls and break the furniture.

We've got to find a way to get this under control.

The story of Ellenton, New Ellenton, and the Savannah River Site is beyond belief.
The government buys a whole town for nuclear site, moves the whole town.

Pat Conroy included the story in The Prince Of Tides. Several critics called this element of the story, “typical Southern Fantastical Exaggeration and Hogwash!”
Conroy’s response was something like, “You Goddamn Yankee idiot snobs, look it up!!! It’s Ellenton and New Ellenton!”

We came home from Pawley's last time by way of Hemingway and Johnsonville. It took FOREVER. Anyway, I wanted to see those tiny towns.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Following integration, North Myrtle Beach High School was created out of Wampee-Little River High School (the white school) and Chestnut High School (the black school). Wampee (Indians) and Chestnut (Braves) became NMB Chiefs. Both had really good sports programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT