ADVERTISEMENT

Forgotten or absorbed towns across South Carolina

When I was a small kid, we lived in Winnsboro. My Mom, a school teacher working at Great Falls High School, rode to work every day with another lady. I remember seeing football games in that stadium down in the valley across from the school. There's not much to "Flopeye" anymore, and it's a shame. Great Falls was once a great mill town.
Hopefully the new whitewater center they are building below the dam will help flopeye survive

When I was a small kid, we lived in Winnsboro. My Mom, a school teacher working at Great Falls High School, rode to work every day with another lady. I remember seeing football games in that stadium down in the valley across from the school. There's not much to "Flopeye" anymore, and it's a shame. Great Falls was once a great mill town.
I played football and baseball in that stadium for several years before moving to Camden, as did my father. My grandfather walked from his house through the wooded area to get to the large hill in center field, and would sometimes sit on the hill and watch. Winnsboro and Lewisville were our biggest rivals. I always believed that field had unique qualities and potential because of it's "bowl" shape. Amazing times!

Reactions: king ward
Didn't see Dillon, SC on this thread. Anyone know anything about "Little Dodge City'?
Haven't been through there in several years. All I ever knew about that town was that it was in mainly farm country, had very good high school football, and that a leading citizen was Alan Schafer, who I believe was a big beer distributor and owner of South of the Border. What the current condition of the town is compared to 10 years ago, I do not know.

I haven't read all the replies but Slighs right above Little Mtn had a town designation. I'm really enjoying reading about some of our SC towns and experiences.
That near where my lake cabin is. I never knew that Slighs used to be a town. BTW, they have good hotdogs.

Union is another small town experiencing a slow death.
Our own Steve Tanneyhill coached there for a couple of years, but his reputation of an excellent high school coach was made at Chesterfield.

Our own Steve Tanneyhill coached there for a couple of years, but his reputation of an excellent high school coach was made at Chesterfield.

Well, he started off OK at Union but things kind of went down hill from that point. Most high school communities can live with a coach saying the occasional damn, or ass, but Tanneyhill took language skills to a level rarely seen in high school. Can't do that at the HS level and get away with it.

Im about to win this thread. Tatum, SC. Town is currently a whopping 584 acres with 71 residents. Enter Tatum cross the RR tracks and leave Tatum in less than a 1/4 mile.

Any stories about Salters, SC? My roommate's GF was from there in college but Its a town with a back road that has a bridge over it as a bypass. Is it officially a ghost town now? (BTW, Andrews is what reminded me of this town.)

Im about to win this thread. Tatum, SC. Town is currently a whopping 584 acres with 71 residents. Enter Tatum cross the RR tracks and leave Tatum in less than a 1/4 mile
No you're not....how about tooter-town off Hwy 14 between Blue Ridge and Greer...I think at one time there were 4 residents...and it was the size of a large lot..not quite and acre...when entering tooter town it said welcome, and 1 second later you would see the sign leaving tooter town.

Anyone know the size of Sunset, SC off HWY 11 in Pickens County? My guess is, there maybe 50 people...Newry, SC has been mentioned earlier...not sure how many people lived in the village...

Any stories about Salters, SC? My roommate's GF was from there in college but Its a town with a back road that has a bridge over it as a bypass. Is it officially a ghost town now? (BTW, Andrews is what reminded me of this town.)
All I've ever known about Salters - I've passed by it several times - relates to that country store down there that prepares and sells barbeque throughout the week. Is that still going on?

King, wished I'd bought some of that Indian Land property years ago!
Both of us. It's a boomtown. The good news for Lancaster is that it's headed this way. Huge developments are coming to Hwy 521 north and the new Indian Land High School, opening this coming fall, lies five miles closer to Lancaster than the school being vacated.

No you're not....how about tooter-town off Hwy 14 between Blue Ridge and Greer...I think at one time there were 4 residents...and it was the size of a large lot..not quite and acre...when entering tooter town it said welcome, and 1 second later you would see the sign leaving tooter town.

Anyone know the size of Sunset, SC off HWY 11 in Pickens County? My guess is, there maybe 50 people...Newry, SC has been mentioned earlier...not sure how many people lived in the village...
I live a mile from tooter town.

back in the late 70's the town of Kelly, SC on highway 9 between Lockhart and Jonesville had the city limits on both sides of the sign.

Reactions: jeff2001
Grew up in Barnwell, remember when Chip Atkins had good basketball teams in Allendale.
“Fluffy”! LOL
YEAH man, good ole Barnwell- we went to HS there because Allendale was literally the worst school in the state at that time! Right before they closed the loophole, my parents bought a lit at Sweetwater Coutry club so they could list a Barnwell address to get us into school there…

Driving back from Hilton Head Saturday several of those towns are now ghost towns. Saw an elementary school (Robertville) long since shut down. And that got me thinking.
The list of schools, towns, that are no more is a large one. But the stories, maybe from a lot of you, are still there.
But to keep it sports related, what are some schools that were once great. Only to be merged or done away with altogether? In my area, before my time there were Leavelle McCampbell and Langley/Bath/Clearwater (LBC) high schools. Both had some success in football. I always thought the merging of those two (Midland Valley) would produce more of the same. Pretty much not the case in 40 years.

It won’t be forgotten …………. Sugar Tit, South Carolina😛

Reactions: jeff2001
I grew up in Allendale SC- built up in the 60/70s around HWY 301 &321… When the Interstates cut through it KILLED Allendale because there was suddenly no traffic coming through. That place is a third world country today. We moved there in like 79 when I was a baby and I watched the town literally crumble around us growing up… Allendale and Barnwell used to be real good football teams- for 2A- I haven’t kept up that much with 2A HS any more, but they have virtually no jobs or population growth there! My parents moved away years ago so I literally have no reason to visit and I DON’T.
Will go through Allendale occasionally when driving between Beaufort and Atlanta. Even Fairfax looks better.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
There needs to be reasonable accommodations, attractions, jobs, industry… To attract new people typically. I assure you Allendale has absolutely none of those qualities. Unless someone’s only criteria is “cheapest land I can find, I don’t even care if it smells like pig shit”, I cannot personally see their population grow much from new arrivals.
I guess that USC-Salkehatchie doesn't bring much to the table.

Reactions: fightingcock103
Are you familiar with the town of Miley? It's not far from there and is almost non-existent now with the exception of the remnants of Lightsey Bros railroad that was there.
When travelling the Augusta route between Beaufort and Atlanta these days, I frequently travel through Miley instead of Varnville-Hampton-Brunson-Fairfax-Allendale.

There's a shed across from the Post Office (yes, Post Office), which has trees growing on it which must be 5m high. How does that happen on a roof?

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious

It’s funny that you mention Newry. I went up there many years ago to look at a bloodhound puppy. I went to tech with a few guys from Tamassee. One of the guys I work with graduated high school from Tamassee Salem.

Haven't been through there in several years. All I ever knew about that town was that it was in mainly farm country, had very good high school football, and that a leading citizen was Alan Schafer, who I believe was a big beer distributor and owner of South of the Border. What the current condition of the town is compared to 10 years ago, I do not know.
You are correct re: Alan Schafer. He attended USC at the same time my father did.

On trips to Richmond, VA from Beaufort to visit my mother's family during my childhood, we would stop at SOB on the way up, and my father would make a point of looking up Mr. Schafer for a short chat.

I guess that USC-Salkehatchie doesn't bring much to the table.
My Father taught there his whole career, and that job was literally the reason our family moved to the town. I went to Salk my freshman year before transferring to the Columbia campus… So for us, I guess- yes it brought something to the table. Beyond Salk and a lumber Mill or two I cannot think of a single viable large employer in the town.

My Father taught there his whole career, and that job was literally the reason our family moved to the town. I went to Salk my freshman year before transferring to the Columbia campus… So for us, I guess- yes it brought something to the table. Beyond Salk and a lumber Mill or two I cannot think of a single viable large employer in the town.
Yes - the lumber mill is on US 278 on the way to Kline.

In order to avoid the slowdowns and speed traps on SC 68 & US 278 between Yemassee & Allendale, I've started taking the Salkehatchie Highway from Yemassee to US 601 to SC 641 to Ulmer Rd to SC 300 to a back road which runs through Kline (gotta stop for peaches in season) and onward to SC 125.

Ulmer doesn't look as bad as Allendale, but it's definitely a shell of what it once was.

What high school did you attend?

Yes - the lumber mill is on US 278 on the way to Kline.

In order to avoid the slowdowns and speed traps on SC 68 & US 278 between Yemassee & Allendale, I've started taking the Salkehatchie Highway from Yemassee to US 601 to SC 641 to Ulmer Rd to SC 300 to a back road which runs through Kline (gotta stop for peaches in season) and onward to SC 125.

Ulmer doesn't look as bad as Allendale, but it's definitely a shell of what it once was.
Are you referring to the town where 301 and 321 cross?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT