ADVERTISEMENT

Former Gamecock coach Lamont Evans indicted

tenor.gif

Reactions: USCLaw85
Could be bad news for Frank Martin. At least he's not on staff now, so that's good.

Here's some good news....this seems to be about Adidas. Gamecocks are an Under Armour school. But still, hard to say until more details come out.

Maybe this explains why Brad Underwood dipped out of Okie State after one year. Feel bad that Michael Boynton has to deal with this.

Reactions: okccock
Investigation started in 2015? This could get ugly....fast.
Evidently they have Evans on tape in March of 2016 meeting with "CW1" informant. He would have still been with USC at that time. He wasn't hired by OSU until April. Sounds like USC could be "University 2" based on the timeline. Could Dozier or Thornwell be "Player 3"? This may get interesting.

DKqFT_bWkAAKrdB

One place I read that the schools themselves are not being implicated but the coaches as of right now. The feeling is that these coaches were doing this on their own and schools involved were not a part of it per initial reports. If that is so, then none of these schools should worry. However, when the NCAA starts snooping about one thing, they find something else. I truly feel that Frank is a by the book person so if he had known this, Evans would have been gone way earlier.

Evidently they have Evans on tape in March of 2016 meeting with "CW1" informant. He would have still been with USC at that time. He wasn't hired by OSU until April. Sounds like USC could be "University 2" based on the timeline. Could Dozier or Thornwell be "Player 3"? This may get interesting.

DKqFT_bWkAAKrdB

Nothing to do with recruiting, thankfully. No evidence that the players or Frank Martin were aware of the meeting. Plus Evan left the university the next month, April 2016. We'll find out more at the noon press conference.

Reactions: 1Clemzunfan
One place I read that the schools themselves are not being implicated but the coaches as of right now. The feeling is that these coaches were doing this on their own and schools involved were not a part of it per initial reports. If that is so, then none of these schools should worry. However, when the NCAA starts snooping about one thing, they find something else. I truly feel that Frank is a by the book person so if he had known this, Evans would have been gone way earlier.

Maybe. But some are speculating "coach 2" is Pitino. Pretty easy to imagine if you read this.

Adidas and Kansas has partnership trough 2031

Zion Williamson was on a Adidas AAU team/league, and Kansas was getting deeply involved in Zion through that connection.

We still have zero chance, but interesting.

Reactions: DarkCock
I'm reading through the indictment. Lot of detail about Evans meeting and talking with these folks, specifically about this "Player-3," which has to be either Thornwell or Dozier, as Evans tells them that he would be a 1st rd pick. There is detail about Evans claiming that he'd talked to "Player-3"' and his family about it, and implies that they were agreeable. But there is nothing specific about any money going to the player.

One of the "money guys" indicted claimed that he had, in the past, paid Evans $2,500 a month for his influence.

The rest seems to be about Oklahoma St.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download

Reactions: DarkCock
Don't know what's going on but if we get in trouble I'll say money well spent, we made Final 4

Yeah until that Final Four banner is forced to be taken down. It's still to early to tell, but if they got documents and evidence from his time at SC then it's probably not going to be good.

FBI throwing around that kind of money to kids and their parents saying they have been doing it for 20 plus years. Yes. I’m in. Show me the money.

Sounds more like a witch hunt.

With all the problems in the country why is the FBI worrying about college basketball? I could care less about this and don't see why USC or Frank should be in any trouble.
Maybe because they are breaking federal laws. It's not the first time they've been involved in corruption in basketball on the college level.

I'm reading through the indictment. Lot of detail about Evans meeting and talking with these folks, specifically about this "Player-3," which has to be either Thornwell or Dozier, as Evans tells them that he would be a 1st rd pick. There is detail about Evans claiming that he'd talked to "Player-3"' and his family about it, and implies that they were agreeable. But there is nothing specific about any money going to the player.

One of the "money guys" indicted claimed that he had, in the past, paid Evans $2,500 a month for his influence.

The rest seems to be about Oklahoma St.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download
It is in reference to PJ. Sin was not projected to be a 1st round pick. And, as far as 'talking to the player and his family', Evans was PJ's recruiter of record and an assistant at USC. He has every right to talk to them. No where did it say anything about him giving anyone any money. PJ and his parents were agreeable that he would sign with a certain agent and a certain financial advisor, both of whom were recommended by Evans. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: GC2020
The FBI needs to go visit New Springs and review Perry's old records.
They aren't going to go that route for obvious reasons. However, Clemson has more to worry about as a result of this investigation than we do. The next person to be arrested is supposed to be Merl Code - a current Nike employee and former Clemson basketball player. If I'm not mistaken, he also runs basketball camps.

New Springs Church is not the only organization with deep pockets. Nike's are deeper.

Reactions: Gradstudent
It is in reference to PJ. Sin was not projected to be a 1st round pick. And, as far as 'talking to the player and his family', Evans was PJ's recruiter of record and an assistant at USC. He has every right to talk to them. No where did it say anything about him giving anyone any money. PJ and his parents were agreeable that he would sign with a certain agent and a certain financial advisor, both of whom were recommended by Evans. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's certainly an optimistic slant on it all. The indictment later tells of another South Carolina player, who was a sophomore in 2016. That makes it seem as though Dozier was the "other player," not, "Player 3". It is not about whether he was "projected" to be a 1st rd pick...Evans claimed he would be a 1st rd pick. Not experts, just something Evans claimed.

That's certainly an optimistic slant on it all. The indictment later tells of another South Carolina player, who was a sophomore in 2016. That makes it seem as though Dozier was the "other player," not, "Player 3". It is not about whether he was "projected" to be a 1st rd pick...Evans claimed he would be a 1st rd pick. Not experts, just something Evans claimed.

It seems like Evans' job was to actually push players out of the university and into the NBA, not into USC. So it's difficult to see how the university benefited from his actions. I guess the question is did any player receiver money from an agent, which brings up eligibility concerns.

Reactions: rogue cock

DKqFT_bWkAAKrdB
No. What is going to get interesting is when the feds arrest Merl Code this afternoon. He is a former Nike employee, current Addidas employee, runs a few basketball camps, and was a former Clemson basketball player.

According to at least one media report:

Code, according to the indictment, is involved in college and high school basketball programs with Adidas. He allegedly "participated in organizing of the payments" made by Adidas to players and their families.

Can you say 'bagman', boys and girls?

This isn't something that is going to make anyone associated with Clemson say 'Hmmm...'

This is something that is going to make anyone associated with Clemson say 'Oh. Shit!'

Last edited:
Sad to have Clemson in your head so bad you must bring them up in every negative post

According to at least one media report:

Code, according to the indictment, is involved in college and high school basketball programs with Adidas. He allegedly "participated in organizing of the payments" made by Adidas to players and their families.

Can you say 'bagman', boys and girls?

This isn't something that is going to make anyone associated with Clemson say 'Hmmm...'

This is something that is going to make anyone associated with Clemson say 'Oh. Shit!'[/QUOTE]

I doubt it, that's really reaching there. Its the Adidas involvement that has him in trouble. If he was a player for them in the 90's and never had any other involvement I don't see how that's going to reflect on Clemson. Its pretty much a probe of where these guys were over the last year, not where they all graduated high school, college, their first job or where they were 20 years ago. But it's still going to be interesting to see how the NCAA approaches this after the FBI matter is done, the FBI is just after the individuals themselves....but how far will the NCAA go into this is the big question.

They aren't going to go that route for obvious reasons. However, Clemson has more to worry about as a result of this investigation than we do. The next person to be arrested is supposed to be Merl Code - a current Nike employee and former Clemson basketball player. If I'm not mistaken, he also runs basketball camps.

New Springs Church is not the only organization with deep pockets. Nike's are deeper.

Anyone paying attention can pretty much tell we aren't cheating in basketball recruiting though.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT