ADVERTISEMENT

Former SC assistant new WBB head coach

Per the article Vic was scheduled to have made $2,000,000 had he stayed at MSU. I hope Dawn is making that or more.

Per the article Vic was scheduled to have made $2,000,000 had he stayed at MSU. I hope Dawn is making that or more.
Roughly 1.5 plus incentives. All colleges are now in a financial squeeze getting more money probably not happening. Without football or sports revenue, it's bad news.

Reactions: uscg1984
Confrats to McCray. Her name was on a short list of candidates listed by espn. I'm happy that Miss St hired a female for the position - with her being black an added bonus.

But, regardless, we're going to kick her a*s anyway.

Nikki has succeeded everywhere she has been as a player and a coach. She should have great success there.
I will be interested to see the culture fit. Vic is old school southern white man. He wears Jesus very publicly in his coaching(that is an observation and by no means a criticism). Great fit.
Will State fans allow Nikki to be Nikki? Or will they say, “Yea, she wins, but she just ain’t Vic.”

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Miss State is probably hoping she is the next Dawn, or knows how to beat Dawn. Good luck with that.
Interesting that you say that. Here is a quote from a State fan on one of their sites:
This is what I'm most excited about. She knows Dawn and the way she does things. Love Vic and all that he did, but he choked most of the time against SC, and it cost us multiple SEC championships and a national championship. Hoping Nikki won't be scared of Dawn and that we take the next step forward as a program.
And this one:
It goes without saying that Staley is a highly-successful coach during her reign at USC. And McCray-Penson was there for 9 seasons watching and learning.

Hopefully, NM-P will be able to hold our team together and quickly take us to even greater heights.

Interesting stat: overall, Vic Schaefer was 3-12 against Dawn Staley's South Carolina teams. That's almost complete domination.

After spending 9 seasons with Staley at USC, maybe NM-P can help us learn how to beat them on a regular basis.

There need to be more posts like this. She was a Gamecock. She worked her way up the coaching ladder. Good for her. I hope most Gamecocks will pull for her to succeed in every game except the ones against us.
Ummm.. there's only one problem with that. If she succeeds in every game except the ones against us (especially in the SEC) that means WE will have to also have success in every game or else Miss State will be winning the SEC every year.

Ummm.. there's only one problem with that. If she succeeds in every game except the ones against us (especially in the SEC) that means WE will have to also have success in every game or else Miss State will be winning the SEC every year.

There’s not a problem with that if we take care of our business. Only when we don’t.

Interesting that you say that. Here is a quote from a State fan on one of their sites:
This is what I'm most excited about. She knows Dawn and the way she does things. Love Vic and all that he did, but he choked most of the time against SC, and it cost us multiple SEC championships and a national championship. Hoping Nikki won't be scared of Dawn and that we take the next step forward as a program.
And this one:
It goes without saying that Staley is a highly-successful coach during her reign at USC. And McCray-Penson was there for 9 seasons watching and learning.

Hopefully, NM-P will be able to hold our team together and quickly take us to even greater heights.

Interesting stat: overall, Vic Schaefer was 3-12 against Dawn Staley's South Carolina teams. That's almost complete domination.

After spending 9 seasons with Staley at USC, maybe NM-P can help us learn how to beat them on a regular basis.
Actually Vic was 3-13 against us.

Also State didn’t choke away any wins against us.

The only thing I really criticize Vic about is his Out of Conference scheduling. It was consistently small college cupcake U. He played 8 ranked OOC opponents in 8 years and rarely ever scheduled non ranked power 5 schools. In fact in his last 7 years in regular season OOC games Vic went a stunning 93-5. But as I said only against 8 ranked teams and a grand total of 18 games against power 5 opponents. He was a coward in OOC scheduling.

In that same span we played 29 OOC games against ranked opponents and another 30 against power 5 schools.

Last edited:
Actually Vic was 3-13 against us.

Also State didn’t choke away any wins against us.

The only thing I really criticize Vic about is his Out of Conference scheduling. It was consistently small college cupcake U. He played 8 ranked OOC opponents in 8 years and rarely ever scheduled non ranked power 5 schools. In fact in his last 7 years in regular season OOC games Vic went a stunning 93-5. But as I said only against 8 ranked teams and a grand total of 18 games against power 5 opponents. He was a coward in OOC scheduling.

In that same span we played 29 OOC games against ranked opponents and another 30 against power 5 schools.
Those are quotes by State fans from posts on their forums. I didn't say State chocked. A State fan did.

And this one:

All that proves to me is that their apologist fans are like our fans. Their team never got beat. The only difference is that ours blame the refs.

Just think of it as another coach who is a part of Dawn’s dominion (coaching tree).

That makes it sound like Nikki was not worthy of the job, i’m pretty sur that’s not what you meant.
No that's not what I meant. For that to be the case, I'd have to also be saying that McCray doesn't deserve the job at Miss. State. I'm not saying that, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT