ADVERTISEMENT

Former UNC CB Mike Hughes

In articles when discussed on why he stuck with SC, Cann says god told him to. no mention of Elliott.

His favorite team was Virginia Tech growing up when they finally offered, he never wavered because of God's plan.

Rogue is 100% right

At the time of commitment he spoke about Wolford

Bamberg lineman picks the Gamecocks

Phil Kornblut

Updated June 18, 2009 01:47 AM

Offensive lineman A.J. Cann (6-3 265) of Bamberg-Ehrhardt - one of the state's top prospects - committed Wednesday to South Carolina.

Cann picked the Gamecocks over offers from 35 other schools.

He is the seventh commitment for USC's 2010 class, the second offensive lineman and the fourth from the state. He's projected to play center with the Gamecocks.

USC was the first school to offer Cann and quickly built solid relationships with recruiter Shane Beamer and offensive line coach Eric Wolford.

"Since the first day they offered me they've been coming at me pretty hard," Cann said. "Coach Wolford was something else. When I bonded with him it was like something else. It just made me want to come to Carolina. I know he's going to be the man to help me go through it."

Cann says Wolford was just part of what made USC attractive to him.

"The relationship I have with him, coach Beamer from the times I've been up there, and I've got family up there" he said. "Some of the players I see up there, I've got a good relationship with them. And the offensive line needs a lot of help. So, I just decided to stick with Carolina and help them out."

Cann had been favoring USC and North Carolina. Clemson, N.C. State and Georgia Tech were also in the running.

Cann said he liked Clemson a lot, too, "but I kind of felt like Carolina was the best fit for me and my family, so I just went ahead and made that decision."

Cann visited Clemson and USC last week.

"I decided to get it done to get it out of the way," Cann said. "I'm going to continue to work hard to do what's right for the Bamberg-Ehrhardt football program and continue to win and continue to work hard."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article14344172.html#storylink=cpy

Dumbass....if there is no mention of Cann wavering, there is nothing to link. I can't prove a negative....no one can. I looked for information indicating he may be wavering....nothing, thus nothing to link. That's why I asked for you showing for one that he was....absent that, Elliott didn't do shit with him, period!!!

Dumberass yes you convinced me. A.J. Cann a 300 pound 4 star lineman wasn't recruited by other schools after Eric Wolford left and signed in spite of Elliott; played 5 years under Elliott, learned nothing from him; became a starting lineman as a rookie in the NFL after having learned nothing from him.

If your blind hatred for someone that I'm sure you've never met, is so all consuming that you can't see the obvious then you need help. Not just a check-up probably around the clock treatment from a team of psychiatrists at Johns Hopkins.

In articles when discussed on why he stuck with SC, Cann says god told him to. no mention of Elliott.

His favorite team was Virginia Tech growing up when they finally offered, he never wavered because of God's plan.

Rogue is 100% right

At the time of commitment he spoke about Wolford

Bamberg lineman picks the Gamecocks

Phil Kornblut

Updated June 18, 2009 01:47 AM

Offensive lineman A.J. Cann (6-3 265) of Bamberg-Ehrhardt - one of the state's top prospects - committed Wednesday to South Carolina.

Cann picked the Gamecocks over offers from 35 other schools.

He is the seventh commitment for USC's 2010 class, the second offensive lineman and the fourth from the state. He's projected to play center with the Gamecocks.

USC was the first school to offer Cann and quickly built solid relationships with recruiter Shane Beamer and offensive line coach Eric Wolford.

"Since the first day they offered me they've been coming at me pretty hard," Cann said. "Coach Wolford was something else. When I bonded with him it was like something else. It just made me want to come to Carolina. I know he's going to be the man to help me go through it."

Cann says Wolford was just part of what made USC attractive to him.

"The relationship I have with him, coach Beamer from the times I've been up there, and I've got family up there" he said. "Some of the players I see up there, I've got a good relationship with them. And the offensive line needs a lot of help. So, I just decided to stick with Carolina and help them out."

Cann had been favoring USC and North Carolina. Clemson, N.C. State and Georgia Tech were also in the running.

Cann said he liked Clemson a lot, too, "but I kind of felt like Carolina was the best fit for me and my family, so I just went ahead and made that decision."

Cann visited Clemson and USC last week.

"I decided to get it done to get it out of the way," Cann said. "I'm going to continue to work hard to do what's right for the Bamberg-Ehrhardt football program and continue to win and continue to work hard."

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article14344172.html#storylink=cpy

Gee that's so odd that he wouldn't mention Elliott in a JUNE 2009 article when Elliott was hired in December 2009. Good work.

Dumberass yes you convinced me. A.J. Cann a 300 pound 4 star lineman wasn't recruited by other schools after Eric Wolford left and signed in spite of Elliott; played 5 years under Elliott, learned nothing from him; became a starting lineman as a rookie in the NFL after having learned nothing from him.

If your blind hatred for someone that I'm sure you've never met, is so all consuming that you can't see the obvious then you need help. Not just a check-up probably around the clock treatment from a team of psychiatrists at Johns Hopkins.
LOL...quit setting up straw man fallacies. I mentioned nothing about Cann after he signed here. My only issue was your description of his recruitment and who was responsible. Learn how to keep on point instead of setting up a straw man attempting to refute an argument that I never made. You are not smart enough to do that effectively.

LOL...quit setting up straw man fallacies. I mentioned nothing about Cann after he signed here. My only issue was your description of his recruitment and who was responsible. Learn how to keep on point instead of setting up a straw man attempting to refute an argument that I never made. You are not smart enough to do that effectively.

Thank you for the pointers now what exactly was my description of his recruitment and who was responsible? Since you haven't been accurate about anything I've said so far. I certainly didn't say Shawn Elliott was solely responsible. The fact is Elliott signed him. The facts are athletes change their minds all of the time when there are coaching changes. Elliott was able to keep the signees in the fold. The facts are that three of the players that he coached for their entire college careers,started in the NFL last year, my original point.

Again, because you're not the brightest guy, the point was not Wolford versus Elliott. The point was how woefully ignorant you are about recruiting.

Thank you for the pointers now what exactly was my description of his recruitment and who was responsible? Since you haven't been accurate about anything I've said so far. I certainly didn't say Shawn Elliott was solely responsible. The fact is Elliott signed him. The facts are athletes change their minds all of the time when there are coaching changes. Elliott was able to keep the signees in the fold. The facts are that three of the players that he coached for their entire college careers,started in the NFL last year, my original point.

Again, because you're not the brightest guy, the point was not Wolford versus Elliott. The point was how woefully ignorant you are about recruiting.
Asked and answered. Athletes do change their minds all the time, but in this case we are talking about one athlete...who you can provide zero proof that he changed his mind after committing to Wolford.

So now we go from the straw man fallacy to the circular argument....geesh.

Asked and answered. Athletes do change their minds all the time, but in this case we are talking about one athlete...who you can provide zero proof that he changed his mind after committing to Wolford.

So now we go from the straw man fallacy to the circular argument....geesh.

Circular argument? you mean yours. I'll put this in bold print for the last time. I NEVER SAID HE WAVERED. I don't care if he did or didn't waver it makes no difference to the overarching argument.
Corey Robinson, Brandon Shell, and A.J. Cann were developed by Shawn Elliott well enough to start in the NFL very early. They didn't develop over 5 years in a vacuum. The original thought was that I really don't know what the problem was with Shawn Elliott. The prevailing thought on here is that the o-line had no talent during his time here. We had 4 NFL caliber linemen playing at roughly the same time and NFL caliber running backs and we couldn't make first downs in short yardage on a consistent basis. I am just sorry I allowed myself to be sucked into a stupid argument with a cliche-hurling pedantic jackass.

Gee that's so odd that he wouldn't mention Elliott in a JUNE 2009 article when Elliott was hired in December 2009. Good work.

I was talking about other articles, not the commitment article I posted. Cann talked about God and Spurrier about why he stuck with his commitment

Elliott coached him and that is a point, I never said he was the worst coach, Wolford is much better at scouting talent in my opinion and a better OL coach, but that's my opinion.

AJ Cann first offer was January 2009, from South Carolina then they started rolling in. Wolford was a big part of his recruitment, and they were close for the time he was here which is why I posed the article, but yes Elliott coached him in his career.

For Robinson when he committed South Carolina was his only offer

By Phil Kornblut
Posted Jun 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM

OL Corey Robinson (6-7 290) of Havelock, NC became USC’s 12th commitment for 2010 Tuesday when he announced a pledge to the Gamecocks during a gathering at his school. “I like the coaches, and there’s the chance to play in the SEC with great players,” Robinson said. “I didn’t know much about them but they are bringing in coach Wolford, and he had to come in having proven himself that he can develop players, and I think it will be great to work with him.” Robinson said his commitment will be a firm one. “If a North Carolina school came calling, I would take a look,” he said. “But it wouldn’t be a hard look.” USC is Robinson’s only offer though he’s also drawn interest from North Carolina, NC State, East Carolina and Duke. Robinson will play tackle for the Gamecocks. He is the fifth offensive lineman committed in the class.

I love the talent evaluation by Wolford in both cases and he impacted both players to come to South Carolina in a short time, so I don't give Elliott all the credit, yeah he coached them and got them to stick, but doesn't get 100% credit from me.

Do I think Elliott would of ever found Corey Robinson? Based on his track record, no I dont. Maybe you want to dispute that.

I was talking about other articles, not the commitment article I posted. Cann talked about God and Spurrier about why he stuck with his commitment

Elliott coached him and that is a point, I never said he was the worst coach, Wolford is much better at scouting talent in my opinion and a better OL coach, but that's my opinion.

AJ Cann first offer was January 2009, from South Carolina then they started rolling in. Wolford was a big part of his recruitment, and they were close for the time he was here which is why I posed the article, but yes Elliott coached him in his career.

By Phil Kornblut

OL Corey Robinson (6-7 290) of Havelock, NC became USC’s 12th commitment for 2010 Tuesday when he announced a pledge to the Gamecocks during a gathering at his school. “I like the coaches, and there’s the chance to play in the SEC with great players,” Robinson said. “I didn’t know much about them but they are bringing in coach Wolford, and he had to come in having proven himself that he can develop players, and I think it will be great to work with him.” Robinson said his commitment will be a firm one. “If a North Carolina school came calling, I would take a look,” he said. “But it wouldn’t be a hard look.” USC is Robinson’s only offer though he’s also drawn interest from North Carolina, NC State, East Carolina and Duke. Robinson will play tackle for the Gamecocks. He is the fifth offensive lineman committed in the class.

I love the talent evaluation by Wolford in both cases and he impacted both players to come to South Carolina in a short time, so I don't give Elliott all the credit, yeah he coached them and got them to stick, but doesn't get 100% credit from me.

By Phil Kornblut

I hate to be a stickler but why would you post THIS article if you had other articles that were more germane to the discussion. I said this earlier Shane Beamer was on Cann 2 years before Eric Wolford hit the campus, it's not like Wolford uncovered a diamond in the rough. Eric Wolford, I like a lot but I haven't seen enough from him to know if he's a great evaluator. We still can't make short yardage conversions consistently so it's hard to say how good a coach he might be.

As far as Shawn Elliott is concerned he was a mixed bag. The two most high profile lineman to come out of this state in a while were both recruited by Elliott and signed. Brandon Shell and Zack Bailey were recruited by everybody. We beat out Alabama and Clemson for Brandon Shell. I think at some point somebody should do a post-mortem on Shawn Elliott's tenure at SC. It obviously wasn't that all of the linemen we had were stiffs, and the success of his players in the NFL would indicate he did some things right, but things never really meshed.

Reactions: rogue cock
I would love to see the 2007 article on Beamer recruiting Cann, that would be germane to the discussion

Wolford found a diamond in the ruff on Corey Robinson

I would love to see the 2007 article on Beamer recruiting Cann, that would be germane to the discussion

Wolford found a diamond in the ruff on Corey Robinson

I don't know that there is a 2007 article, never made that claim. You don't think Cann got 4* rankings and ranked as the 2nd best center in the nation based on his senior season alone do you? You on the other hand said you had articles that were printed after Elliott was hired that talked about God and Spurrier taking over for Eric Wolford, implying Elliott was not mentioned in those articles. Proving that Rogue Cock was 100% right and Shawn Elliott was just manning the fax machine after being hired in 2009.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT