ADVERTISEMENT

Forum Grammar 101

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
I'd like to know everyone's pet peeves on forum grammar. Honestly, I could care less about someone's grammar as long as I can understand the message, but I think it's a fun subject for a thread.

Let's teach everyone a course or is it coarse?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

As long as I can understand it, I'm generally okay ...... except when people do the dot thing ...... where they separate semi-formed sentences with periods ...... that really annoys me ...... also emiticons of any sort ...... except the virtual horns, obviously ...... \m/ ...... how else are you supposed to convey that something's totes metal ...... also when people use the word "totes" ...... not really something on FGF, but still ......

This post was edited on 1/22 10:16 PM by 4thgengamecock

Originally posted by CockofEarle:
this grammar u speak of, was it taught in sc?
Doesn't matter. Also, this thread is not a serious thread. It's just an opportunity for smart alecks to get a word in.

Originally posted by uscbeckham:
Originally posted by CockofEarle:
this grammar u speak of, was it taught in sc?
Doesn't matter. Also, this thread is not a serious thread. It's just an opportunity for smart alecks to get a word in.
You forget that this is the Internet. It's a known fact that you MUST take everything you read on the Internet as literally as possible, and to make it as filthy, depraved, and hateful as possible. I mean, c'mon man, this is first day stuff.

This post was edited on 1/22 10:24 PM by 4thgengamecock

I'm a typo machine, so very few actually bother me, but mixing up the words "since" and "sense" is one I can think of off the top of my head.

They're is nothing worse than when people inject there own opinions into a discussion that is neither here nor their.

My two pet peeves:
1) lose vs. loose (it's not rocket science)
2) getting players and coach's names wrong (Conner, Dillon, Alshon Jefferies, Pharoah, Deek, Botkins, Magnus) to name a few :)

Originally posted by G-C-Gamecock:
My two pet peeves:
1) lose vs. loose (it's not rocket science)
2) getting players and coach's names wrong (Conner, Dillon, Alshon Jefferies, Pharoah, Deek, Botkins, Magnus) to name a few :)
Never herd of any of those guy from you're post.
wink.r191677.gif

I'll chime in. When people use abbreviations for people names. Such as...

"Will BT start this Saturday"

"CP and DW are injured."

From my perspective...

poor grammar reflects badly on the University as well as the general population of the state. How many years have we been trying to shed the image of backwoods rednecks? The sad truth is that some of the offenders can probably do no better.

Bad grammar, punctuation and spelling all bother me, but on a message board what really bothers me is when posters misspell the names of our players.

I don't got nothing to add hear. But I will say that when we can't even spell our quarterbacks's name it makes us all look like a bunch of loosers.

Bad spelling or incorrect use of there vs their doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "grammar nazis" who find it necessary to constantly correct the errors that are usually typos or auto correct errors.

To and too, their and there, improper or non-existent use of possessives, but if I can understand it, I just move on. I would NEVER correct any poster's grammar, syntax, or spelling . . . . punctuation, too.
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Oh, yes, I'm guilty somewhat of this: using initials in place of names or things.

This is easy: noone. "Noone" is not a word. However, "no one" is two words that means "no person," "nobody" and "not anyone."

I cannot for the life of me understand how so many people can screw up "lose" & "loose!" Burns me up. Shouldn't be hard speaking & typing the queen's English.

Before posting, think of all the preparations you would make prior to having your picture printed in a magazine. People will form an opinion of you based on the picture, right? Of course , if you're just butt ugly it won't matter how you construct your sentences on an internet forum..

I'm no expert but what drives me crazy is people's misunderstanding of the words "lose" and "loose".

Originally posted by USCRBCOCK:
Bad spelling or incorrect use of there vs their doesn't bother me nearly as much as the "grammar nazis" who find it necessary to constantly correct the errors that are usually typos or auto correct errors.
Using your for you're is not a typo. Using their for they're is not a typo. You would hope that the posters who might be corrected would see it as a learning opportunity instead of screaming "grammar nazis".
I always thought noone was one word. Does that mean that anyone is not one word or anymore?

We might get some insight into you're personality when it seems that your careless about what your type. That careless attitude might carry over into other areas of you're life. Is careless one word or should it be separated?

Eber cents I took ed the ebalin woodheeded sped redding corse, my redding has imporooveded one hundered precents...thank you.

Eber cents I took ed the ebalin woodheeded sped redding corse, my redding has imporooveded one hundered precents...thank you.

That's very good Tremaine

Originally posted by G-C-Gamecock:
I don't like those players. Their a bunch of pre-Madonnas. Loosers.

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:

It's amazing the number of "supposedly" educated adults who don't no there English. How did they ever graduate school? If your going to talk down to someone on the internet, at least spell it write!
Ahh, I see what you did there. Clever

This is technically spelling, not grammar. But the word is "ridiculous." Not "rediculous." I see that all the time. I don't know how people foul it up. I just had to work pretty hard to spell it incorrectly, and it's still underlined in red.

I did note that somebody in the thread who complained about the impression bad grammar on the board might leave about USC somehow failed to capitalize the first word in his post.

Originally posted by uscbeckham:
I'd like to know everyone's pet peeves on forum grammar. Honestly, I could care less about someone's grammar as long as I can understand the message, but I think it's a fun subject for a thread.

Let's teach everyone a course or is it coarse?
3dgrin.r191677.gif
You mean you could not care less?

I kid.

Not a grammar issue, but my #1 pet peeve is changing the subject line to be your answer in replying to the thread.

Please, just click reply and type in the white box meant for your message.

Since the word "lose" is used so often on this site , ... "Loose" is something that is not tight. .."lose" is what sc did a lot this year

ADVERTISEMENT