ADVERTISEMENT

Frank and Ray Need to Be Loudly Calling for NCAA to Rule on Bowen Eligibility by May 30

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
This needs to be done both publicly and behind-the-scenes. The NCAA needs to be backed into a PR corner where they're depicted as punishing a kid because they're too lazy/incompetent to rule on his eligibility. Control the Message, Ray. Otherwise, is there any doubt the NCAA will just sit on their hands and do nothing until May 30 passes? The NCAA probably sees that option as its most preferable: make no rulings on Bowen, let the deadline pass so he feels he must go pro, and they've wiped their hands of a sticky situation.

I feel like if we push them, though, they'll just say "fine, he's ineligible."

They’d at least be forced to explain their decision. Then they’ve either proven their case or opened themselves up to a lawsuit.

Texas has had some weird problems with NCAA clearinghouse issues. Just failure to rule on simple questions for months on end.

They’d at least be forced to explain their decision. Then they’ve either proven their case or opened themselves up to a lawsuit.
This one is easy. After we accepted him (once he was cleared by the FBI on the shoe investigation), it was disclosed that he took money from an agent well over the $200 amount the NCAA usually allows. If they clear him to play, it will be a first for them. Ergo, you aren't going to like the final decision.

I am quite curious as to what the NCAA is doing in the Bowen case. Is it gathering information? Is it convening a panel of experts, the enlightened few who have the cognitive abilities to understand the complexities of the case? Is it whittling down its caseload in order to get a chance to rule on this important issue by the May 30 deadline? Are they deliberating daily on this issue, as we consider this issue on this discussion board.

Maybe, in order to speed things up we could rent a building with a balcony and seat the NCAA commissioners up there while serving them wine, bread and cheese. The petitioning players would then be marched through the foyer and into the atrium. Thumbs up would indicate Final Four eligible, and thumbs down would mean G league or European league.

The process would speed up, and also the level of fairness would increase.

Last edited:
I really think Bowen wants to play a season here, but the dbags at the NCAA don't care if its not a blue blood program. Bowen is making the smart decision of applying but I think he wants to play for CFM if given the chance.

Sorry, don't remember. What were the two types of cookies?
Well, see, that's because is wasn't actually cookies, per se. They gave out Cheatos, and then Sammie Watkins had made some brownies......

This needs to be done both publicly and behind-the-scenes. The NCAA needs to be backed into a PR corner where they're depicted as punishing a kid because they're too lazy/incompetent to rule on his eligibility. Control the Message, Ray. Otherwise, is there any doubt the NCAA will just sit on their hands and do nothing until May 30 passes? The NCAA probably sees that option as its most preferable: make no rulings on Bowen, let the deadline pass so he feels he must go pro, and they've wiped their hands of a sticky situation.
If they take as long as they did to make a call like they did Tea Cooper, then he's outa here

This one is easy. After we accepted him (once he was cleared by the FBI on the shoe investigation), it was disclosed that he took money from an agent well over the $200 amount the NCAA usually allows. If they clear him to play, it will be a first for them. Ergo, you aren't going to like the final decision.

So be it. If that's the case, why are we letting it drag out? We're wondering if he'll be able to play here but if it's such an obvious violation, why don't we move on and try to fill that potential spot with another player?

Or can we use the UNC defense and say that the agent also gave money to non-athletes as well? :>)

Reactions: aceman39
So be it. If that's the case, why are we letting it drag out? We're wondering if he'll be able to play here but if it's such an obvious violation, why don't we move on and try to fill that potential spot with another player?

Or can we use the UNC defense and say that the agent also gave money to non-athletes as well? :>)
I don't know. My guess is that there were quite a few names on that list that would impact a lot of top teams. The NCAA can't be seen as giving top teams a huge break (and such an unusual one) and not giving it to lesser teams.

Exactly. There is a reason people say "careful what you wish for".

Thats not “exactly” to hope for a quick decision is our only chance to see Bowen in a Gamecock iniform. A delayed positive decision is the same as a negative decision.

I guess Ray's "there's nothing I can do" approach didn't work. Sad. Especially compared to how Auburn managed to get Danjel Purifoy eligible. Purifoy's mother allegedly received $11,000 from former Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person. He was ruled ineligible all of last season but is eligible to play next season after the first 30% of games.

I'm betting Bowen would've stayed at SC had he gotten the same ruling as Purifoy. We'll never know. Maybe we should take notes from Auburn's administration on how to deal with the NCAA, our folks are evidently clueless.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I guess Ray's "there's nothing I can do" approach didn't work. Sad. Especially compared to how Auburn managed to get Danjel Purifoy eligible. Purifoy's mother allegedly received $11,000 from former Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person. He was ruled ineligible all of last season but is eligible to play next season after the first 30% of games.

I'm betting Bowen would've stayed at SC had he gotten the same ruling as Purifoy. We'll never know. Maybe we should take notes from Auburn's administration on how to deal with the NCAA, our folks are evidently clueless.
Purifoy is not eligible. Neither is their other top recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT