ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Has Our Boys Scared to Shoot 3-Pointers

ipull4usc

Mar 17, 2003
Frank has our team scared to shoot 3-pointers. I know we're one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the country, but you have to shoot them at some point, especially against the #1 team in the country.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:
Frank has our team scared to shoot 3-pointers. I know we're one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the country, but you have to shoot them at some point, especially against the #1 team in the country.
Agree with this. Can't drive it down into the trees. Mid range and threes are the only way to stretch UK out, and you'll never know until you try.

This is ridiculous. They have 5 7 footers and we keep charging the rim. Penetrate kick out for 3. Take the damn shot. That is what we need to and it's obvious.

Originally posted by mikey888:
No they got themselves scared to shoot because they can't make them
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Correct.

Poor shooters, with no touch and little shooting fundamentals will never have the confidence to shoot long-range shots. They rely on their strengths - mostly athleticism to put the ball in the basket, along with bad habits they've acquired along the way. Probably the way they've played all their lives (in backyards & streets) and adding poor HS coaching will simply exasperate the problem.

Better recruiting will eliminate the problem All teams need a proper balance of athletes, size, height and most important good confident fundamental shooters.

This post was edited on 1/24 1:48 PM by UpstateGC

Notice is our leading scorer...he is our best outside shooter...we insist that he take the ball to the rim against 7 footers...when he does not succeed he goes to the bench...he is in Brenton Williams dog house and cannot get out. Frank needs to turn Notice loose...he needs to give him the same benefit of the doubt that he gives Thronwell and McKie. BOTH need to take more shots from the perimeter.

Mens bb makes me ill= will not shoot

The players have lost all confidence and no one will set a screen and if there is one the dribbler will not take the shot. They went apprx. 10 mins. w/o scoring, last 5 mins. of first half and first 5 mins. of sec. half. McKie scored first basket in second half with 5 minutes gone. I thought when Odom left we would not see the motion offense again, but this is close, just passing around the perimeter until the 35 sec. is close to expiring before trying a shot. I do not like complaining about the team but if you know anything about bb you know what the problem is.

Re: Mens bb makes me ill= will not shoot

Originally posted by supersoph1:
The players have lost all confidence and no one will set a screen and if there is one the dribbler will not take the shot. They went apprx. 10 mins. w/o scoring, last 5 mins. of first half and first 5 mins. of sec. half. McKie scored first basket in second half with 5 minutes gone. I thought when Odom left we would not see the motion offense again, but this is close, just passing around the perimeter until the 35 sec. is close to expiring before trying a shot. I do not like complaining about the team but if you know anything about bb you know what the problem is.
Well I wouldn't put a lot of stock in labeling the team off of today's performance. After all, they were playing the #1 team in the country.

But I agree the players didn't look very confident. And they looked at times like the were playing in slow motion on offense. The lazy passes and over-all bad decisions are what concerns me.And there were several times a player had a good look and hesitated. Chat's backwards-over-his-head basket was one that I'll never forget. Got the ball under the basket with his man right in front of him and he was looking at the other 8 players, but hesitated rather than spinning and taking the easy lay-up. He was lucky that one dropped in.

My biggest question is, is it lack of confidence or are they afraid of screwing up?

Re: Mens bb makes me ill= will not shoot

The problem is they are too slow in their shooting. They have to get used to shooting quickly so the defender can't react in time. Good defenses aren't going to give you any time for slow windups on your shot.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:
Frank needs guidance on how to get across to 2015 kids. This aint 1970 or 1980. I have kids in this generation now and I had to completely go away from the way I was raised. No, you dont give in or give entitled little shits what they want. But you do have to take a different approach. Kids today are smarter and are exposed to much more than we were. I got yelled at and it was'nt any different than home so I just pressed on. Kids dont relate to that today. You have to really talk to them. It's not about intimidation anymore. You lose them with that.If you are'nt of that mold, you might want to think about holding onto your suits and selling BMW's or Porsches.

I think its easier than that. I think we just don't have any perimeter players who can shoot and our bigs aren't good shooters either. I think we are stuck with this for the next 2 1/2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT