ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin yearly breakdown....

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
Year 1: improvement of 4 games overall and 2 in SEC from Horns last year (14-18, 4-14)

Year 2: 14-20, 5-13 in conference. About the same. No improvement, no drop off

Year 3: 17-16, 6-12 in conference. Winning overall record. Clearly on right track.

Year 4: 25-9, 11-7 in conference. NIT appearance. Improvement. Still convinced this team should have danced. Went 2-1 vs the 3 SEC teams that made it. Beat a Tulsa team that made it and beat Memphis too. Ultimately lost 3 to Georgia and that cost us. They had our number.

Year 5: Final Four. Improvement. Enough said. 26-11, 12-6 in SEC. Finished with #6 rank.

Year 6: Folks I’m not sure if you understand this, but it’s really hard to improve on a final four season. Only one way to go. Lose Thornwell, Dozier and Felder. 17-16, 7-11 in SEC. Not improvement.

Year 7: No doubt frustrating. Pretty good in conference 11-7, but 16-16 overall. Bad non conference losses but also a challenging schedule (Michigan & Virginia non conference).

Year 8: 18-13 overall, 10-8 in SEC. Wouldn’t have made the NCAAs. Maybe an NIT team. A couple of games cost this team from possibly being an NCAA team. Maybe not as much improvement as you would like, but better than year 7. Good win at Virginia. Most teams don’t win there.

Year 9. This year. Covid year from hell.

So in 9 years—5 years of clear improvement from previous season. 1 year about the same. 3 years of not improving, but coming off the final four year one of those 3 was inevitable. And this year Covid hit him personally not once but twice. His team lost a month of practice and games. No one got hit harder.

Reactions: ecaep0811
To me that’s a loser mentality. Sure, he got a final 4 but he failed to capitalize then and now in downward trajectory. Iriel quit, Hannibal is gone, I doubt Keyshawn or Lawson return. Sorry but next year appears likely to be miserable and Martin has no one to blame but himself. I don’t see how a guy loves a game but is so miserable DURING a game. Ranting and raving, following guys down the bench. How many times has Martin seemed enthusiastic DURING a game? Sorry but we need new direction. I really really wanted Frank to succeed, but the coach and program are at a point of needing a new direction.

To me that’s a loser mentality. Sure, he got a final 4 but he failed to capitalize then and now in downward trajectory. Iriel quit, Hannibal is gone, I doubt Keyshawn or Lawson return. Sorry but next year appears likely to be miserable and Martin has no one to blame but himself. I don’t see how a guy loves a game but is so miserable DURING a game. Ranting and raving, following guys down the bench. How many times has Martin seemed enthusiastic DURING a game? Sorry but we need new direction. I really really wanted Frank to succeed, but the coach and program are at a point of needing a new direction.

Of all the transfers during the Frank Martin tenure...and the critics point there are many...who has gone on to do anything worth noting?

I will say his first five years couldn't have gone any better. After the Horn debacle of getting worse every year, Frank got better every year (and made it to the pinnacle of the game). I do think that earned him his buyout, and if we don't like his buyout, so be it. But he earned it.

My issue is that he clearly wasn't building a program. After the Final Four he didn't get any huge recruiting wins, but worse than that is that there wasn't anyone left to keep it going. The Final Four seems like a fluke because he never recruited well enough for sustained success - just one peak. I know people hate discussing Marshall on here, but after their Final 4 season they went undefeated, and then beat Indiana and Kansas two years later on the way to the Sweet 16. They had been recruiting for the long haul and building. Frank just never seemed to have the continuity to be consistent.

But maybe USC isn't destined for more than a few peaks, with many plains (our droughts don't even count as valleys, but are more like the Great Plains).

Year 1: improvement of 4 games overall and 2 in SEC from Horns last year (14-18, 4-14)

Year 3: 17-16, 6-12 in conference. Winning overall record. Clearly on right track.

Year 4: 25-9, 11-7 in conference. NIT appearance. Improvement. Still convinced this team should have danced. Went 2-1 vs the 3 SEC teams that made it. Beat a Tulsa team that made it and beat Memphis too. Ultimately lost 3 to Georgia and that cost us. They had our number.

Year 5: Final Four. Improvement. Enough said. 26-11, 12-6 in SEC. Finished with #6 rank.

Year 6: Folks I’m not sure if you understand this, but it’s really hard to improve on a final four season. Only one way to go. Lose Thornwell, Dozier and Felder. 17-16, 7-11 in SEC. Not improvement.

Year 7: No doubt frustrating. Pretty good in conference 11-7, but 16-16 overall. Bad non conference losses but also a challenging schedule (Michigan & Virginia non conference).

Year 8: 18-13 overall, 10-8 in SEC. Wouldn’t have made the NCAAs. Maybe an NIT team. A couple of games cost this team from possibly being an NCAA team. Maybe not as much improvement as you would like, but better than year 7. Good win at Virginia. Most teams don’t win there.

So in 9 years—5 years of clear improvement from previous season. 1 year about the same. 3 years of not improving, but coming off the final four year one of those 3 was inevitable. And this year Covid hit him personally not once but twice. His team lost a month of practice and games. No one got hit harder.

Come now. It’s one thing to acknowledge there was going to be a drop off after the FF. It’s another thing entirely to have the bottom drop out. Yeah, we lost Thornwell, but he was a senior. It wasn’t a surprise that his time was up. Still, Frank had no plan.

But we recruiter them in the first place so.....

1,000 kids that got recruited by another coach are going somewhere else. It’s the nature of basketball in 2021. No one wants to ride pine and everyone isn’t going to play. Coaches have to fill rosters and kids make decisions based on offers.

If anything, Frank Martin needs to take advantage of this more

1,000 kids that got recruited by another coach are going somewhere else. It’s the nature of basketball in 2021. No one wants to ride pine and everyone isn’t going to play. Coaches have to fill rosters and kids make decisions based on offers.

Frank needs a new career.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Come now. It’s one thing to acknowledge there was going to be a drop off after the FF. It’s another thing entirely to have the bottom drop out. Yeah, we lost Thornwell, but he was a senior. It wasn’t a surprise that his time was up. Still, Frank had no plan.

I wouldn’t call a game over .500 the next season as “the bottom falling out.” Thornwell was an expected loss, but Dozier and Felder were not. Realistically if those two come back, that .500 team is probably winning about 70 percent of their games.

I wouldn’t call a game over .500 the next season as “the bottom falling out.” Thornwell was an expected loss, but Dozier and Felder were not. Realistically if those two come back, that .500 team is probably winning about 70 percent of their games.
You're trying to put a spin on something that's spinless. They are headed in the same spiral that Horn took us.

Not talking about just this year. But again another excuse.

Reactions: ForeUSC

I don't think this proves what you think it does.

Also, Haase would have helped us. Him and Bolden were 40% from 3 but were always slammed for their D.

Mercer and Haase lost their conference championship game to get to the NCAA’s.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Ifs and buts, candy and nuts, etc. If this guy had stayed, if we'd beaten this nobody team in November, if we'd just won another game or two down the stretch, etc, Frank's tenure here would look a lot different than it does. But they didn't happen and we have been to 1 tournament in 9 years with no real sense that he is building anything here.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Losing record in the SEC the year after the Final Four isn't exactly holding serve. We got over .500 overall mainly by beating nobodies.

Hardly. If you can’t tell the difference between Frank Martin and Darrin Horn, we really can’t have an intelligent basketball conversation.
Are you and Spurlier the same poster? You make ridiculous arguments to the point I wonder if you’re a troll. OTOH, if you’re a serious poster, we have clearly entered Darrin Horn land. If you can’t see it, you’re blind.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Clearly youve painted a picture as positively as possible and youre a supporter of Martin.
My son and I attended a function the day USC had him and his wife make an appearance where he was announced as the next coach. There were probably less than 100 people there and the apathy was obviously evident. To many it seemed a good hire but the fans were not enthused by the relatively unknown new coach.
After watching him as a season ticket holder for a year or two i was really turned off by his, in my opinion, less than appropriate style. His berating of player as he angrily yanked them off the court, screaming at them as he stomped after them all the way to their seat on the bench was not pretty picture to me. Unless you were at the game his antics were probably not evident on tv. I will always feel that his style affected his recruiting, particularly of in state players who might have felt a loyalty to USC. Tanner even disciplined him at one point.
I was proud and excited by our final four run but attributed that run to the grit, determination, talent and leadership of Thornwell and Dozier with help from Silva and a couple other role players. Martin installed and relied on a zone defense with Dozier at the point of the zone, Thornwell at one wing at critical times.
His player transferring out rate must lead the nation. Hes not going to change and neither is his appeal going to any better to recruits, He should be gone.

Clearly youve painted a picture as positively as possible and youre a supporter of Martin.
My son and I attended a function the day USC had him and his wife make an appearance where he was announced as the next coach. There were probably less than 100 people there and the apathy was obviously evident. To many it seemed a good hire but the fans were not enthused by the relatively unknown new coach.
After watching him as a season ticket holder for a year or two i was really turned off by his, in my opinion, less than appropriate style. His berating of player as he angrily yanked them off the court, screaming at them as he stomped after them all the way to their seat on the bench was not pretty picture to me. Unless you were at the game his antics were probably not evident on tv. I will always feel that his style affected his recruiting, particularly of in state players who might have felt a loyalty to USC. Tanner even disciplined him at one point.
I was proud and excited by our final four run but attributed that run to the grit, determination, talent and leadership of Thornwell and Dozier with help from Silva and a couple other role players. Martin installed and relied on a zone defense with Dozier at the point of the zone, Thornwell at one wing at critical times.
His player transferring out rate must lead the nation. Hes not going to change and neither is his appeal going to any better to recruits, He should be gone.

2 things.
1. I somewhat agree that he could tone down the cursing.
2. I don't have any stats on this, do you realize the rate at which people are transferring these days? I highly doubt he leads the nation in this.

2 things.
1. I somewhat agree that he could tone down the cursing.
2. I don't have any stats on this, do you realize the rate at which people are transferring these days? I highly doubt he leads the nation in this.
2. He started the trend years ago.....the rest of the basketball world seems to have followed his example. This year is just another excuse fir him.

We went from 12-6 to 7-11 in conference play.

Dozier was somewhat of an unexpected hit, for sure. Felder, though, has never really developed as a player, so I don't know that he would have made that much of a difference.

All in all, once Dozier and Thornwell left, we were left exposed.

2. He started the trend years ago.....the rest of the basketball world seems to have followed his example. This year is just another excuse fir him.
Yeah Frank started the mass transfer trend, and it was such a good idea everyone does it now. What world do you live in?

Yeah Frank started the mass transfer trend, and it was such a good idea everyone does it now. What world do you live in?
I call it the real world. Where a spade is a spade. Frank Martin is not wanted here or apparently any where else!!
You?

ADVERTISEMENT