ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin

Sadly, our fans only support our basketball team when it's winning games. It is a shame that other programs at our school don't get the kind of loyalty that our football team gets. When the football team went 1-21 people were still in the stands. We just came off of a Final 4 run and we still can't seem to put the fans in the bleachers. It really is pathetic.
SEC affiliation. Football will always be king unless you are Vanderbilt of UK.

Martin is laying the groundwork to move on and using these paltry non-conference game crowds vs. undistinguished opponents as his pretext. He's encouraging other schools to come after him. Maybe he just wants to find some leverage for a better deal here, but what he is doing is transparent. He's telling us all he could do better and signaling other schools of his availability at the same time..
Yep, first thing I thought when I read it was the Miami job must be opening up this year.

I wonder how the percentage breaks down of Carolina fans vs Fans of Basketball wanting to see good games. I think part of problems is OOC schedule stinks. Who wants to go see Wyoming, Western Michigan, Temple, Limestone? Crappy schedule gets crappy fan turnout, bottomline!

Sorry, I do not agree with your comments.

KENTUCKY's O.O.C. Schedule (Notice that all but one game were at home ... the one that they lost)

Nov 10 vs Utah Valley
Nov 12 vs Vermont
Nov 14* @ (4) Kansas L 61 - 65
Nov 17 vs ETSU
Nov 20 vs Troy
Nov 22 vs Fort Wayne
Nov 26 vs UIC
Dec 2 vs Harvard
Dec 9* vs Monmouth
Dec 16 vs Virginia Tech

-Known Member
New

Are you as miserable in real life as you seem on this board?
No. I'm a carrier.

You’re more of an A**Clown than anything!

When we were independent we still packed the football stands. I just wish our basketball fans weren't so fairweathered.
Fans are willing to travel for football games, it is a big production with the tailgating, game, etc. More difficult for basketball games especially considering the number of them.

Yep, first thing I thought when I read it was the Miami job must be opening up this year.

The Hurricanes play in an arena that holds 8,000 people. They played in front of less than 7,000 people the other night...

They played Princeton at the American Airlines arena a few days ago... holds almost 20,000... only 8,500 tickets sold.

All these games he’s complaining about... we’re still selling more than 10,000 tickets for.

When it comes down to it, assuming the team isn’t terrible, we’ll still average 13,000+ in attendance, putting us well in the top 25 for attendance.

If he’s going to use poor attendance as his out, people need to see through that.

Reactions: rogue cock
When we were independent we still packed the football stands. I just wish our basketball fans weren't so fairweathered.
When we were an independent - at the beginning, so were West Virginia, Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, Miami, Notre Dame, Florida State. It looked like a good place to be. Meanwhile, we had left the best basketball league in America. The culture changed and that was two generations ago. Much of the fervent basketball culture has been lost. Going tot he Final Four was a marvelous achievement. Now, put several good teams together - teams that Dance, not teams that win 25 games and stumble into the NIT at the end - and their might be some greater impetus developed for basketball. Lastly, the star system helps, and we don't have any that I know of.

One thing we are battling is it appears that last year was a flash in the pan. Luckily PJ and Sin were local kids. We have not recruited effectively to extend our success of last year. I think people see that. We have not capitalized on our success. Does that sound familiar? Yes we can improve but to most it looks like a very average roster. You hope you have a good consistent program that competes in the tournament yearly. I think people see that for whatever reason we aren’t there.

When we were an independent - at the beginning, so were West Virginia, Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, Miami, Notre Dame, Florida State. It looked like a good place to be. Meanwhile, we had left the best basketball league in America. The culture changed and that was two generations ago. Much of the fervent basketball culture has been lost. Going tot he Final Four was a marvelous achievement. Now, put several good teams together - teams that Dance, not teams that win 25 games and stumble into the NIT at the end - and their might be some greater impetus developed for basketball. Lastly, the star system helps, and we don't have any that I know of.
In that case I can't think of one reason any decent coach should ever want to coach our basketball team. Why coach a team that doesn't get the support it deserves?

People can make all the excuses they want as to why 10,000 or more wont show up to watch a game(s) ... Martin will leave because of this failure to support in regards to attendance ..

Martn left a basketball school and he will leave this program and I wouldn't be at all surprised

Reactions: mikeypen
Ya’ll are letting Frank treat you like a battered spouse.

This is as much a capacity problem as an attendance problem. And it happens almost everywhere. UNC was at 66 percent capacity against Tulane. But it was still 14,000 tickets sold. Those kids played in front of more fans at home that night than most schools have capacity.

We were 58 and 57 percent capacity on tickets sold last two games, for 10,000+ for each game. Again, more tickets sold than a lot of schools even have seating for.

If you don’t like the look and atmosphere, the solution is simple. Limit the seating at these lame OOC games. Tarp of the upper corners and base lines. Only sell tickets to the lower bowl and mid court in the uppers. Boom. 7,000 to 11,000 are all around the court. Looks good on TV and betters the atmosphere.

Here’s the other thing. South Carolina is also one of the few places where you can play at home in front of 14,000 to 18,000 people. Which will happen multiple times a year.

How many from the "star system" put us in the final four last year? You are un fricking believable. When we win, ther's got to be some reason that things didn't happen like you hoped, and when we lose, you knew it all the time. Maybe you should be the new AD or OC or whatever, or maybe go outside and kick the dog or poison the neighbor's cat or whatever will make you 1 iota less misserable today. Damn man, get yourself some help, your family will appreciate it. It's college sports, try and enjoy the wins, if you have that capability (I doubt it). Find a hobby, other than being a miserable human being, it's not appealing.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior

This is as much a capacity problem as an attendance problem. And it happens almost everywhere. UNC was at 66 percent capacity against Tulane. But it was still 14,000 tickets sold. Those kids played in front of more fans at home that night than most schools have capacity.

We were 58 and 57 percent capacity on tickets sold last two games, for 10,000+ for each game. Again, more tickets sold than a lot of schools even have seating for.

If you don’t like the look and atmosphere, the solution is simple. Limit the seating at these lame OOC games. Tarp of the upper corners and base lines. Only sell tickets to the lower bowl and mid court in the uppers. Boom. 7,000 to 11,000 are all around the court. Looks good on TV and betters the atmosphere.

Here’s the other thing. South Carolina is also one of the few places where you can play at home in front of 14,000 to 18,000 people. Which will happen multiple times a year.

Don't get me started on the problem of scale. Way too many bloated sports facilites these days. My personal favorite arena at USC is the volleyball facility. It's so small and intimate that you're right up on the court. The ceiling is actually the lowest allowed for a volleyball court. It's a great atmosphere.

2 years over 50 wins , is that quality enough or have u forgotten the many years before frank , gamecocks fans will rue the day when Martin leaves
+ THIS. Frank's a defensive minded team. His scheme takes a while to learn, and this team will be better as the year progresses. He is a good, if not great, coach. I believe this team will be there is the end. He is trying to get butts in the seats, nothing more. Once the SEC season starts fans will turn out Christmas is a busy, expensive time and most folks dont have the time or money to go to OOC games during the middle of the week. Dont be fooled by trolls trying stir up crap when there is nothing there. It's amazing to me when folks get up in arms by something some DA posts just to get a rise out of people.

Reactions: funktavious

TICKETS SOLD..
Its not about sold tickets, capacity of arena, or atmosphere, its about fannies in the seats..
N.C. has a 21,750 seat arena, , 66 % capacity as you state would mean 14,400 fannies were in the seats

TICKETS SOLD..
Its not about sold tickets, capacity of arena, or atmosphere, its about fannies in the seats..
N.C. has a 21,750 seat arena, , 66 % capacity as you state would mean 14,400 fannies were in the seats

Everyone only tracks tickets sold. No one reveals tickets scanned, because it would make everyone look bad.

Everyone only tracks tickets sold. No one reveals tickets scanned, because it would make everyone look bad.

bean counters care about tickets sold..
...........head coaches care about fan support in the seats

bean counters care about tickets sold..
...........head coaches care about fan support in the seats

I’m not sure what your point is. We don’t have data on tickets scanned. Everyone is just guessing. Frank might know a day later, but he probably doesn’t know when he does his post game presser. We know tickets sold and we know capacity. Last year we did just fine, and we’ll do just fine this year if the team is decent.

I’m pretty confident there were more people in the arena for USC-Wyoming than Miami-Boston University. If you’re spinning yourself up for a comparison.

I was there last night and last week when Frank complained about the turnout. He is right, it was embarrassing. We have a lot of fair weather fans that suck, and you all know who you are.

Last year, at the beginning of the year many folks proclaimed we would not finish in the top half of the conference but Frank whipped them into shape and made them into a good team and on to the final 4. We may not make it to the final 4 this year, but I guarantee you Frank will have this team much improved as the season goes on. We need the fan support though. That's not on him, that is on the fans.

Reactions: Bclc829
Just my opinion...two things come to mind. One, in some degree I think another loss to Clempson in football took some of the steam out of the fans. Two, PJ not coming back left a lot of fans with the feeling it was going to be a down year.

this-guy-gets-it.jpg

The old Coliseum was perfect size, is a beautiful building, and could have been renovated with necessary modern enhancements. I look at Phog Allen Fieldhouse at Kansas. How old is that thing? But it is a showplace.

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

Wow! Notre Dame was so independent they were independent twice!!

I was there last night and last week when Frank complained about the turnout. He is right, it was embarrassing. We have a lot of fair weather fans that suck, and you all know who you are.

Last year, at the beginning of the year many folks proclaimed we would not finish in the top half of the conference but Frank whipped them into shape and made them into a good team and on to the final 4. We may not make it to the final 4 this year, but I guarantee you Frank will have this team much improved as the season goes on. We need the fan support though. That's not on him, that is on the fans.

No, you suck.

No stars, eh. Lol. Chris Silva is a dominating force in the paint. He is the definition of "college basketball star player".

Perhaps you should leave the hoops talk to those with a clue. Stick to the grammar and SAT topics... sports just ain't your cup of tea, sweetie.

Exactly right about the out of conference schedule. The truth is like someone mentioned they didn't know Wyoming was any good. But what fans want are games vs OC teams who fans are familiar with. Give us a game or two vs major schools. Hell get us in something like the Jimmy V classic or Maui Invitation. But also why does Syracuse not have to come back to Columbia? A few home and away series with the likes of a UConn, Kansas, Ohio St...just some bigger named schools would help before Christmas attendance.

It's not that easy to just get a home and away series with the best teams in college basketball.

I think there are several factors contributing to the lack of attendance.

The drive for a better RPI has cost fans games against teams they "know." Massachusetts and Wyoming are usually pretty decent programs, but they don't have much cachet with casual basketball fans in South Carolina. Home games with Furman, College of Charleston, Davidson, Winthrop and other nearby mid-majors might stoke a little more fan interest than games involving teams from thousands of miles away. Of course, Carolina hasn't been able to work Furman into its schedule since the Paladins won a few seasons back.

Some players are lacking in fundamentals, making games less entertaining to watch. A top-level college team shouldn't be struggling to top 60 percent from the foul line. That being said, I do like the fact that Martin expects his players to play hard on both ends of the court.

It's a lot easier and less expensive to sit at home and watch games on the Internet or TV. I try to get to a basketball game or two each season. We went to the UMass game Saturday as a last-minute day trip. I was able to find lower-level tickets online for $8 apiece, which I knew was a great deal. But face-value tickets plus parking plus concessions (and/or meal) plus gasoline to go to and from adds up.

Basketball doesn't float everyone's boat enough to commit several hours to driving in from out of town. I'd rather drive from Greenville to watch a Carolina baseball game. I'm in the minority on that, and that's fine. Even so, I don't go to as many baseball games as I did because of the availability of streaming. It's the day we live in.

And -- not speaking specifically about this Carolina basketball team here -- teams don't "deserve" fan support. The cost of sporting events is getting to where average fans have to be selective about which/how many games they attend. As someone who was in school the final year of the McGuire/ACC era, last's year's NCAA run -- especially beating Duke -- was exhilarating. But, should I shell out XX dollars and a half a day to go see Carolina play Limestone simply because of last year? Not going doesn't mean I love Carolina athletics any less.

I reserve the right to revise and extend the remarks if something else comes to mind.

No stars, eh. Lol. Chris Silva is a dominating force in the paint. He is the definition of "college basketball star player".

Perhaps you should leave the hoops talk to those with a clue. Stick to the grammar and SAT topics... sports just ain't your cup of tea, sweetie.
He also gets into foul trouble too early in most games.

I thought Frank could have gone to Miami a couple of years ago?

Maybe the SEC Network has an effect on turnout?

Sorry, I do not agree with your comments.

KENTUCKY's O.O.C. Schedule (Notice that all but one game were at home ... the one that they lost)

Nov 10 vs Utah Valley
Nov 12 vs Vermont
Nov 14* @ (4) Kansas L 61 - 65
Nov 17 vs ETSU
Nov 20 vs Troy
Nov 22 vs Fort Wayne
Nov 26 vs UIC
Dec 2 vs Harvard
Dec 9* vs Monmouth
Dec 16 vs Virginia Tech
Yeah, but there is no way you can compare Kentucky Basketball to Carolina BBall. A team that is a national contender every year compared to a team that made it to final 4 one time ever in history of basketball program. That said, bring in some quality OOC games and you will put substantially more butts in seats versus Limestone Who? All coaches want these soft tune-up games but then they shouldn't complain if people don't want to pay to see a 90-50 blowout game against a school that people never heard of. Just my .02 cents.

He also gets into foul trouble too early in most games.
He also started playing basketball 5 years ago. If you want to ignore his obvious high level skill set/talent to focus on one aspect of the game he is working to improve on, then have at it, Tater. ;)

Yeah, but there is no way you can compare Kentucky Basketball to Carolina BBall. A team that is a national contender every year compared to a team that made it to final 4 one time ever in history of basketball program. That said, bring in some quality OOC games and you will put substantially more butts in seats versus Limestone Who? All coaches want these soft tune-up games but then they shouldn't complain if people don't want to pay to see a 90-50 blowout game against a school that people never heard of. Just my .02 cents.

You think it's easy to schedule good OOC teams at home?

One of the problems with college basketball is that outside of the blue bloods no one cares about it until January. Or March.

He also started playing basketball 5 years ago. If you want to ignore his obvious high level skill set/talent to focus on one aspect of the game he is working to improve on, then have at it, Tater. ;)
What a comeback, calling me a tater.

You think it's easy to schedule good OOC teams at home?
Nope, I know it's not but you should be able to pull a few Home-Home games every year. You definitely could find a few schools that would generate interest. You will never fill your schedule with big name schools and you wouldn't want to but it is hard to generate excitement with nobody's!

CBB scheduling leaves a lot to be desired, but has improved over the years. Teams like unc, duke, mich st, kansas, texas, are not the powerhouse programs from years ago, in that they no longer (if ever) play anybody anywhere anytime. These highly ranked teams will play each other on an aircraft carrier or in maui, because they literally have nothing to lose in those type of games. They have everything to lose by dropping a game in the CLA. Or even at home to an up and coming sec program searching for quality wins vs big time opponents.

What a comeback, calling me a tater.
If this is your takeaway, then you missed the beef of the post.

If this is your way of admitting silva is a star and has only scratched the surface of his talents, then your response is duly noted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT