ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin's criticism of fan turn-out: fair or no?

In the early 70s, there was basketball hysteria in SC. That is for sure. Most young folks don't know what we are talking about.

Any starting player of one of the Gamecocks teams during that era, would have been instantly recognized anywhere in the state.
No doubt.

It's no big mystery, like it or not, it's still college football season in SC. It was championship Saturday, all "fixing" the problem requires is winning. Next March or April , if we happen to be in a final four game during the Spring game or in a big SEC baseball series, guess what, we'll have a poor turn out for the Garnett and Black game. This doesn’t mean we have a fan problem.
I don't understand why you don't see the need for hysteria.

Women’s attendance still good?
Gonna take some time. If they had some stars or great play so far the crowd would be there.
Women's attendance is helped by the fact that the tickets are next to free.

Perhaps fans' morale is low because Clempson owns us in football for the past four seasons with no end in sight for the foreseable future. Success in football is the catalyst for generating butts in seats for other sporting events. Not sure if our AD's office and BOT realize that it's football or bust like the boys from pickens do.
This has a lot to do with everything that happens everywhere in USC sports.

In the early 70s, there was basketball hysteria in SC. That is for sure. Most young folks don't know what we are talking about.

Any starting player of one of the Gamecocks teams during that era, would have been instantly recognized anywhere in the state.

There still is basketball hysteria in SC. Maybe you old timers should come check it out. ;)

Men's college basketball in general has declined. Who can even keep track of the players anymore? I barely know all the players on USC, much less players in the rest of the country.

Reactions: DC-99
They are also one of the top teams in the country year in and year out. Its easy to draw a crowd for teams that win. Perhaps Frank needs to adjust how he coaches in order to land those blue chip prospects and adapt his philosophy on how to build teams.
We are being outflanked athletically by the newer breed of coaches in the SEC.

I went to literally every home game last year and haven't made one yet this year. The schedule has been weird and the opponents have sucked. I'll be at plenty of games though so maybe the other fans are just waiting until I decide to come out

I went to literally every home game last year and haven't made one yet this year. The schedule has been weird and the opponents have sucked. I'll be at plenty of games though so maybe the other fans are just waiting until I decide to come out
If your subsequent decisions factor in the quality of the team, and the other fans are watching you, attendance will be at a five-year low.

Men's college basketball in general has declined. Who can even keep track of the players anymore? I barely know all the players on USC, much less players in the rest of the country.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point and the "one and done" has made today's game a weak version of what we enjoyed in the past. You can no longer watch a team/player develop over a four year period. After hearing Adam Silver speak, it's clear he doesn't care about the state of college basketball, to him it's all about developing players for the NBA (I know that is job) and he doesn't necessarily believe he needs the college game for that. He's looking at the European soccer models and AAU for answers and to meet their needs. His comments have not gotten the interest they deserve, and all fans of NCAA basketball should be very concerned. It's going to get to the point, where the best talent is not even going to view college basketball as a first option.

I was there as well and remember how basketball crazy fans were then. Leaving the ACC killed that fan enthusiasm as we had great rivalries with those Tobacco Road teams.
[underline added] We were consistently good then and those rivals were also national contenders. Had we been a consistent .500 team in the ACC back then, those "rivalries" wouldn't be so great. It's true that the SEC doesn't put the national powers on our home schedule that the ACC did, but we haven't exactly dominated that SEC schedule during our time in this conference either. And we didn't dominate the Metro conference before that. I think the fondness for our ACC days that so many Gamecock basketball fans remember has less to do with the conference we were in and more to do with the fact that we had some good freaking teams back then. We have no control over the rest of the SEC, but the quality of our team rests squarely on the shoulders of Martin and the coaches that preceded him here. He, rightfully, wants to see a cultural change in our basketball fan base, but he is the only one who can make that happen. It doesn't happen overnight with a Final Four run that many perceive as a "flash in the pan" performance. It comes from building a program that consistently makes the tournament.

Can you write off donations to the Gamecock Club? If yes, this new tax bill will scuttle that spending as most middle class fans won't itemize and will see less benefit in giving (not just to Gamecock Club, but all charities).

Unless it's a big name we are playing or the Clemson game, our attendance is never that strong until after football is completely over.

Coach wasn't impressed by the turn-out, stating there must have been a golf tournament or evaluation of 7th round offensive linemen in town that people prioritized higher.

I'm voting fair. No, I wasn't there. I know my reasons, and I'm sure plenty of other people have their own. But coach is justified in his frustration. For five years, he's built the program and fan interest to the point we actually had a good home court atmosphere. He's frustrated that coming right off a Final Four he sees empty seats and doesn't hear an enthusiastic fan-base at home. He knows that atmosphere is important to the continued progress of the program, both in terms of game day effect, and in recruiting.

To play devil's advocate to my own point: this isn't a team that is driving a lot of excitement into the fans right now. Losing Dozier and Felder hurts. Losing out on priority recruits hurts. (How does a guard from Irmo end up with Andy Kennedy in Ole Miss?) Fans don't have a lack of interest in the program. Fans are afraid. They are afraid to pour the emotions, time, and money into yet another Gamecock program that seemed to be moving in the right direction, only to watch them fall apart.

Still, I don't blame Frank. If I were him and doing what I could to build things, I'd be frustrated when the fans disappeared at this juncture.

Coach wasn't impressed by the turn-out, stating there must have been a golf tournament or evaluation of 7th round offensive linemen in town that people prioritized higher.

I'm voting fair. No, I wasn't there. I know my reasons, and I'm sure plenty of other people have their own. But coach is justified in his frustration. For five years, he's built the program and fan interest to the point we actually had a good home court atmosphere. He's frustrated that coming right off a Final Four he sees empty seats and doesn't hear an enthusiastic fan-base at home. He knows that atmosphere is important to the continued progress of the program, both in terms of game day effect, and in recruiting.

To play devil's advocate to my own point: this isn't a team that is driving a lot of excitement into the fans right now. Losing Dozier and Felder hurts. Losing out on priority recruits hurts. (How does a guard from Irmo end up with Andy Kennedy in Ole Miss?) Fans don't have a lack of interest in the program. Fans are afraid. They are afraid to pour the emotions, time, and money into yet another Gamecock program that seemed to be moving in the right direction, only to watch them fall apart.

Still, I don't blame Frank. If I were him and doing what I could to build things, I'd be frustrated when the fans disappeared at this juncture.

FRANK, MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND RECRUIT SOME BETTER PLAYERS!

First of all, let me say I have season tickets and I was at the game - but just barely. I think what Frank and USC need to realize is that Saturday is the only day off for most people and people have things to do. When you schedule games between noon and 2pm you are taking up the entire day for most people. They have to have a couple of hours to get ready and get to the game and get seated beforehand, and then after the game it is almost dark. It's not rocket science. If they want better attendance at the games on Saturday, then schedule them at 4pm or after. I was there this past Saturday but any game that is at noon or 1pm, I will definitely not be there.

Yessir. I was a kid back then, but without even looking up them can still remember John Roche and Kevin Joyce and Bobby Cremins and Bobby Carver and Casey Manning and Tom Owens and Tom Riker (I think) and Rick Aydlett and Mike Dunleavy and some dude named Danny Traylor and of course Alex English ... who am I leaving out?

Course, by time I was at USC the big dog was Jimmy Foster. Man, he was fun to watch play.

If I lived in Columbia now I'd probably get season hoops tickets.

Well, football season isn't over. I know he doesn't like it but football is still #1 even if USC isn't playing.

And the last thing he needs to be doing is dissing fans.
He needs to focus on winning. If he wins people will get behind the team.

there needed to be more fannies in the seats then were in for Saturday's game.... regardless of what else was going on in Columbia or conference championships, or Xmas shopping, or whatever.
This team deserved more, after only 1 home game all season up until Sat.

Can you write off donations to the Gamecock Club? If yes, this new tax bill will scuttle that spending as most middle class fans won't itemize and will see less benefit in giving (not just to Gamecock Club, but all charities).
Part, yes.

GOCOCKS! BEATMICH!

The current version of the tax plan allows for charitable contributions even for those who don't itemize.

In some respects I agree with coach. BUT:

1) It was championship Saturday and we're in SC. Football is still king, Gamecocks or no
2) There was something rerouting traffic all around downtown, not sure what. But Assembly and Blossom both had sections closed off making it a nightmare to drive around.
3) Exams are coming up. My girlfriend was studying all day, took a break to join me at the game, then was right back to it. So that could be why some students stayed home.
4) Schedule all on the road so far this year, no excitement generated for people to come down to CLA. WMU game actually was pretty well attended

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT