ADVERTISEMENT

Frank McGuire tribute

Ran across this on YouTube and thought some might enjoy it. Be warned before you start it's about 30 minutes long. I also posted this on TIF.

Really enjoyed that. Watched it live as a high school kid in 1994.

We really screwed the pooch moving over to CLA and not at least naming the court after Frank McGuire. He is South Carolina basketball.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Tks, GG. Jack Thompson seemed a little salty. He could have showed some class and chosen his words better. I remember listening to the games at the kitchen table when he was playing. Joe kinda smoothed it out by saying a coach had to be tough.
If I never see that injury to John during the WF game again, it will be a blessing. I remember that game and USC had the game well in hand. John could have been on the bench and USC still would have won. Bobby lost the championship game with a lazy pass during a stall and a NCS player was just waiting for the chance. FM was so POed he wouldn't bring the team out for the presentation.:) Luck of the Irish did not apply to FM1 during post season play at USC. The Charlotte Observer had some sour grapes after USC beat the team whose name shall not be mentioned in 1971 for the ACC championship. You know it gripes the ACC to have to include that 14-0 record for USC in their BB history. ACC fans showed absolutely zero class during FM's heyday. They made fun of his son who was mentally handicapped-especially Duke fans.
FM2 has one upped FM1 in post season play.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It could still be done.

It COULD, but considering we have been at CLA for 15 years and it has not happened, I have little faith this will ever happen.

Tks, GG. Jack Thompson seemed a little salty. He could have showed some class and chosen his words better. I remember listening to the games at the kitchen table when he was playing. Joe kinda smoothed it out by saying a coach had to be tough.
If I never see that injury to John during the WF game again, it will be a blessing. I remember that game and USC had the game well in hand. John could have been on the bench and USC still would have won. Bobby lost the championship game with a lazy pass during a stall and a NCS player was just waiting for the chance. FM was so POed he wouldn't bring the team out for the presentation.:) Luck of the Irish did not apply to FM1 during post season play at USC. The Charlotte Observer had some sour grapes after USC beat the team whose name shall not be mentioned in 1971 for the ACC championship. You know it gripes the ACC to have to include that 14-0 record for USC in their BB history. ACC fans showed absolutely zero class during FM's heyday. They made fun of his son who was mentally handicapped-especially Duke fans.

The ACC fans you are referring to are now, were then, and will always be assholes!

Reactions: usc1978
The ACC's "hatred" was towards FM1. USC was in the crossfire. After the UnCarolina brawl with Dook in 1961, and FM1 not getting along with the Tar Hole AD, I think most of the league was shaking their heads as to why we hired Frank 1. Or for that reason, why would Frank come back to coach in the ACC?

To Frank's credit, he complained about the ACCT while at Chapel Hell; sadly, it bit him in the butt while at USC :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT